The fictional “Elite Quarterback” label

Playmaker247

Reaction score
You need to get a understanding of the NFL because if you think Dak is "average" you have no idea how to gauge the position. At his age Dak is one of the best quarterbacks this league has seen. That's just facts. Check any stat you want, check any record you want. Whatever you need to do. At Dak's age of 26-27 there aren't many more that have been better than him at this point in his career.
This is what I don’t get. Dak is one of the best young qb’s in the league. That’s not a debate, every number, stat, record, algorithm, etc you want to look at says this. Yet people want to run around and say Dak is average and if you disagree they think you are crazy. No the one with no substantial proof to back up his claim is actually the crazy one. It’s like do you know how arrogant you have to be to have ALL the evidence point one way and still be like nah I think the other way is right. That’s laughable

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is what I don’t get. Dak is one of the best young qb’s in the league. That’s not a debate, every number, stat, record, algorithm, etc you want to look at says this. Yet people want to run around and say Dak is average and if you disagree they think you are crazy. No the one with no substantial proof to back up his claim is actually the crazy one. It’s like do you know how arrogant you have to be to have ALL the evidence point one way and still be like nah I think the other way is right. That’s laughable
It’s mind boggling to me too. And if you point out how good he is you are a slobberer lol. Fact is there is no young quarterback in this league just head and shoulders better than him aside from Mahomes. Mahomes is proving to be in a league of his own. People clamoring for guys like Tua.....man you are praying Tua is as good as Dak. That’s just facts.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Then they will turn around and pump up QBs like Tannehill and Bridgewater.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm all for giving Dak time to prove exactly what he is, whether it might be simply good, very good or elite! To my thinking, he just hasn't done elite as yet, although, I'd be relieved to see that so-called "elite" side of him show up far more often than it has. We might learn more this season, if there really is one to enjoy! Hopefully, the proof will be forthcoming. Until then, let's see more of what's in the offing before crowning him "elite." It's just too early yet.

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You’re welcome. I’m a survivor of a ruptured brain aneurysm. I’ve been through similar stuff. I’m not the grammar police and if I know what you meant then it’s all good. Some folks just do that to deflect. You know?
Omg. Not to say I know what she went through. My wife had microvascular decompression brain surgery. With an acoustic neuroma tumor that was removed. I’m so happy for you

kskboys

Reaction score
I still think he was better than Kaepernick. But I get what you’re saying
I agree w/ that.

Smith was Andy Dalton. It appeared that when the chips were down, they'd just curl up in a little ball and wimper. I guess it's something in their makeup, but man, both just aren't clutch QB's. Both were decent QB's during the season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The problem some opinions have in defining Elite is their emotions get involved. It’s very difficult for all fans to separate their heart from their mind. Much like it’s difficult to be objective critiquing your own children or loved ones.

I think if we made a list of Elite QB’s most would agree with the bulk of the list and there’d be a few on the bubble some would argue.

But if this is about Dak , I can’t imagine many fans, analysts or experts outside the Cowboy fan base describing or defining Daks current passing ability, talent level , individual and or team accomplishments as Elite.

Does he have the potential to become Elite. That’s an argument for another day and left to be seen. Time will tell.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I agree w/ that.

Smith was Andy Dalton. It appeared that when the chips were down, they'd just curl up in a little ball and wimper. I guess it's something in their makeup, but man, both just aren't clutch QB's. Both were decent QB's during the season.
Smith had a very long career being just what he was, he was just a game manager QB, hardly ever turned the ball over, he evolved to that but never transcended from that level.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To me Elite is defined by individual talent , the ability to elevate those around you and then to change the course in history for your team.

Elite is not always defined by winning championships. And why we have individual awards to recognize Elite talent on lesser teams.

Unfortunately though the QB position is often correlated with the teams success because they have so much more control in determine their outcome and fate. It’s a dicey combination. We’ve seen solid QB’s on lesser teams not look Elite then go to better teams and become Elite.

And why the position is so difficult to determine Elite because most of the best talent or higher draft picks out of college go to lesser teams initially.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
To me Elite is defined by individual talent , the ability to elevate those around you and then to change the course in history for your team.

Elite is not always defined by winning championships. And why we have individual awards to recognize Elite talent on lesser teams.

Unfortunately though the QB position is often correlated with the teams success because they have so much more control in determine their outcome and fate. It’s a dicey combination. We’ve seen solid QB’s on lesser teams not look Elite then go to better teams and become Elite.

And why the position is so difficult to determine Elite because most of the best talent or higher draft picks out of college go to lesser teams initially.
One attribute that cant be denied from either side of the Dak debate is his best attribute IMO, his endurance.
He got dinged last year, but this team / most teams, would be in dire str8s if their starting QB went down.
I find it odd that the notion of drafting a QB seems to be threatening to Dak supporter side,, I don't think Dak would mind an upgrade to Cooper Rush.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
One attribute that cant be denied from either side of the Dak debate is his best attribute IMO, his endurance.
He got dinged last year, but this team / most teams, would be in dire str8s if their starting QB went down.
I find it odd that the notion of drafting a QB seems to be threatening to Dak supporter side,, I don't think Dak would mind an upgrade to Cooper Rush.
I haven’t heard Endurance often described as a leading definition of Elite but it’s definitely an attribute.

Personally when I’m looking for analysis of a QB the last place I would look to usually is fans of the team he plays for. Their emotions and attachments are often all wrapped up together. It’s like looking for an evaluation of a player from their parents or loved ones.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Moderator Edit: https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-can-tony-pollard-play-in-the-slot

Here’s what DallasCowboys.com writers David Helman and Jonny Auping have to say about those who toss that term about around here. And I fully agree.

What is the difference between an elite quarterback and a good quarterback? Does it come down to having a signature win like a Super Bowl win? What must Dak Prescott do to move from a good quarterback to an elite quarterback? Are their specific skills that he must develop, or does he simply need to lead the Dallas Cowboys to a Super Bowl win?— MARTY MONFORTE/ENDICOTT, NY

David: If I could become the tzar of football for a day, the first thing I'd do is outlaw the word "elite" from football conversations. It's a completely subjective, borderline meaningless word that people throw around to win arguments without using facts. The truth of the matter is that quarterbacks from all over the spectrum have helped their teams win Super Bowls — and for a variety of different reasons. For all his talent and accolades, Aaron Rodgers has as many Super Bowl wins as Joe Flacco. Peyton Manning has the same number of championship rings as his little brother, and I think we'd all agree that Peyton was the much better player than Eli. Dak is a top-tier NFL quarterback, and all evidence indicates that his arrow is still pointing upward. Who on Earth can say if he'll actually deliver the championship Cowboys fans have been waiting for, but he's done enough to deserve a new contract in my opinion.

Jonny: Honestly, there are a lot of hard rules to the game of football, but anybody with a definitive list of who is or isn't "elite" just wants to sound like an expert. The line between "really good" and "elite" is thin. I don't think Patrick Mahomes became elite when he won the Super Bowl. But ultimately quarterbacks are judged by wins. I certainly wouldn't put last season's 8-8 record on Dak, but the best quarterbacks tend to manage to overcome a lot of their teammates' mistakes and pull out wins. That said, many of them acquired that attribute after some tough losses. Dak isn't on Mahomes level, and maybe he never will be. But there aren't many quarterbacks I'd confidently say could be the highest paid player on a Super Bowl team. I think Dak is that guy.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I haven’t heard Endurance often described as a leading definition of Elite but it’s definitely an attribute.

Personally when I’m looking for analysis of a QB the last place I would look to usually is fans of the team he plays for. Their emotions and attachments are often all wrapped up together. It’s like looking for an evaluation of a player from their parents or loved ones.
I know the "it" factor is used to ad nauseum, but if Im handing out "elite" status, its those rare QBs that its apparent in their play, that the game just slows down for them, and
they have a natural feel for the situations of the game.
When its just OK to be patient, and when its time to push it, they have the ability to hit in crucial situations.
That's Elite status.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know the "it" factor is used to ad nauseum, but if Im handing out "elite" status, its those rare QBs that its apparent in their play, that the game just slows down for them, and
they have a natural feel for the situations of the game.
When its just OK to be patient, and when its time to push it, they have the ability to hit in crucial situations.
That's Elite status.
I normally reserve Elite status to Hall of Fame caliber. Which also can be subjective but we need to all agree on some basis.

HOF is a status than can recognize greatness without team accomplishments and also can over compensate for winning championships.

But then winning is the ultimate objective and why it’s often more recognized as we often elevate those who have won the most as some of if not the greatest.

keysersoze

Reaction score
To be honest, it’s really not funny. There’s more to it than that. One of the reasons seriously bewilders me. Some people are really hating Dak because of how Romos career ended. They are angry because Dak didn’t bow down to Romo and surrender his job after Romo went down with yet another injury. I think it’s downright disrespectful to dismiss Dak saving the 2016 season and giving us an entertaining year of football with a reason for hope. And the foundation of their angst is the fallacy they believe that Romo somehow miraculously was gonna win the super bowl that season if he would’ve played. SMDH. These people have a really warped sense of perception.