The folks that want Pitts, Sewell, Slater

Cowfan75

Reaction score
If Pitts falls to 10 (not gonna happen) then you take him. The reality is this team has too many holes to contend for a SB this season, and an owner who won't spend money in FA. That makes it hard to round out a team, especially when you dump a ton of cash into underperformers. I'm fine with building the offense that can stay together the number of years it will take to build a defense exclusively through the draft. The Jones Family Recipe requires a different mindset.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm fine with taking a corner

Also, I would not put Slater on the same tier as either Sewell or Pitts....nor what I put Surtain or Horn on their tier either.

I guess we should've taken Diggs at 17 last year because CB was a need regardless of value.
.:cool:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't care about the CB position? Right now we have one starter on the roster at CB and I'm not fond of a rookie starter there, but we passed on veteran CBs in Free agency so right now the only way to get one seems to be the draft. If we draft Slater, Sewell or Pitts, we lose Surtain and Joe Horn. Not only is Surtain a great pick at 10, He fits a need and arguably the BPA on defense side of the ball. Why would you do anything else on draft day but take him.?
Because talent rules. The draft is not about this season and it's not about positional need. If there's a top talent there, you do not pass him up for a lesser talent. You just don't.

Yes, later in the draft you can focus on positions of need, but that's because there are usually multiple guys in the same talent tier. But even then, if a greater talent happens to drop to you, you take him, thank your lucky stars, and worry about your position problems later.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Really? If the blue chipper is a qb , you reading him with the contract your qb have, if you have a starter on that blue chipper position and he's going to sit are you picking him?
Is our O line set or are we still looking for a LG and C with both offensive tackle spots an unknown? Did a young prime Jason Witten come back to take over at tight end again or do we have a couple average at best Tight Ends doing there best to hold the position down? So no to the QB if a QB falls because we already filled the position and yes to Pitts and Sewelle and yes to Slater if Surtain is taken before our pick. But the Blue chipper wont be a QB because the only blue chip QB is Sunshine who will be going 1st overall. all other QBs are not ahead of Pitts, Sewelle or even Slater in terms of talent. Only teams that have them at the top of the board are teams in desperate need of a QB.

Dre11

Reaction score
Because talent rules. The draft is not about this season and it's not about positional need. If there's a top talent there, you do not pass him up for a lesser talent. You just don't.

Yes, later in the draft you can focus on positions of need, but that's because there are usually multiple guys in the same talent tier. But even then, if a greater talent happens to drop to you, you take him, thank your lucky stars, and worry about your position problems later.

And we're keep spinning our wheels on defense. the Cowboys don't use Free agency to address their needs , so they leave the draft to address them. BPA don't work for us.

Dre11

Reaction score
Is our O line set or are we still looking for a LG and C with both offensive tackle spots an unknown? Did a young prime Jason Witten come back to take over at tight end again or do we have a couple average at best Tight Ends doing there best to hold the position down? So no to the QB if a QB falls because we already filled the position and yes to Pitts and Sewelle and yes to Slater if Surtain is taken before our pick. But the Blue chipper wont be a QB because the only blue chip QB is Sunshine who will be going 1st overall. all other QBs are not ahead of Pitts, Sewelle or even Slater in terms of talent. Only teams that have them at the top of the board are teams in desperate need of a QB.

do you need Pitts, Sewell, or Slater? is there a hole at any of those positions? do you have enough talent on offense? the goal is to win a super bowl is it not? do you have a hole at a premium and important position on defense? is there a player there at 10 who's value is right for the 10th pick, that you project as a starter? If Surtain or Horn(preferably Surtain) is there, I say yes.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
OK, you got me. If you're going to load the question that way, yes, I'll take a corner. I'm assuming that within that loaded question, ALL of my top 10 players were gone, except Surtain II. So, yes, I'll go ahead and take him. Happy now?

Dre11

Reaction score
$20 million for 4 years - about the same as Jarwin contract

I ta
OK, you got me. If you're going to load the question that way, yes, I'll take a corner. I'm assuming that within that loaded question, ALL of my top 10 players were gone, except Surtain II. So, yes, I'll go ahead and take him. Happy now?

I don't think its a loaded question, I think they're legitimate questions you have to take into account.

Dre11

Reaction score
Cowboys keep overpaying their own average players which makes FA irrelevant to them.

I agree some what, I don't think that should stop them from still using FA to fill holes. I think past mistakes spooked has them.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Lol and we'll be crying about the defense again this season giving up 40
Defense is a Dumpster Fire, and Pitts is the only Offensive player I would take with 10.
If he is not there I would manipulate our draft to take all defensive players through trade down and ups.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Don't care about the CB position? Right now we have one starter on the roster at CB and I'm not fond of a rookie starter there, but we passed on veteran CBs in Free agency so right now the only way to get one seems to be the draft. If we draft Slater, Sewell or Pitts, we lose Surtain and Joe Horn. Not only is Surtain a great pick at 10, He fits a need and arguably the BPA on defense side of the ball. Why would you do anything else on draft day but take him.?
I do care.....the CB draft lacks super stars, but its deeper. you can probably get a Newsome II or another CB that will probably fall into the top of the second. What we do know with 90% certainty is that Tyron Smith will probably get injured and Collins had hip surgery and his status to being his old self is unknown....so getting Sewell for the next 10 years is a good thing.

Pitts is out of this world. hard to pass up if he is there, but I think he will be gone at most by 8th pick.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Did they shorten the draft to one round? I must have missed it.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
I'm going against the grain and going offense early and often. Pitts and O-lineman.

Zeke running like his rookie season, Duel threat Dak investment protected. Pitts, Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Zeke with re-tooled O-line.

Greatest O ever assembled?

Just go with it and worry about defense next year. Not like you can't wait one more year if you're still here now. Plus I want a Defensive Coordinator that can take a bad unit to at least average on his own merits alone. Easy way to know if you need to keep searching for a new one.

Creeper

Reaction score
Lions drafted Okudah at #3 and he stunk it up. Diggs outperformed Okudah. What makes you think Surtain is a sure thing? Like last year with Diggs, maybe the best CB in the draft can be obtained in the 2nd round.

Pick the best player available regardless of position or current need.

I never understood the love for Okudah. But I do agree. There are going to be CBs at 44. This is why I advocate a trade down to pick up another 2nd. Then we can take another position in the 1st and two positions in the 2nd.

Dre11

Reaction score
I do care.....the CB draft lacks super stars, but its deeper. you can probably get a Newsome II or another CB that will probably fall into the top of the second. What we do know with 90% certainty is that Tyron Smith will probably get injured and Collins had hip surgery and his status to being his old self is unknown....so getting Sewell for the next 10 years is a good thing.

Pitts is out of this world. hard to pass up if he is there, but I think he will be gone at most by 8th pick.

So you're taking the chance that Tyron gets hurt for a game or two and Sewell sit on the bench and wait? you're hoping A cb drop when one is sitting in your lap? while we have corners are you comfortable with any of them starting outside of Diggs/

RandyOh

Reaction score
do you need Pitts, Sewell, or Slater? is there a hole at any of those positions? do you have enough talent on offense? the goal is to win a super bowl is it not? do you have a hole at a premium and important position on defense? is there a player there at 10 who's value is right for the 10th pick, that you project as a starter? If Surtain or Horn(preferably Surtain) is there, I say yes.
Already said Pitts was a luxury for the first year or 2. after that you can build around him. Did you not see our O line this past season though? If you can look at Knight and Steele and feel that was acceptable then you can look at our corners and say we have no major holes to fill as well. Nothing you can say will convince me that Surtain should hands down be taken over Pitts or Sewell. Would I be upset if we take Surtain? No not really. I would understand the pick but any other defensive player beside him is a no. Especailly if Slater is still on the board. The value of defensive players is not in the top half of the 1st round whatsoever. All the value is in the bottom half of the 1st round and on day 2. Sorry my man. Not every draft is the same. This is not the draft to be picking early and in need of mostly defense. If for some dumb reason we have no interest in Pitts, Sewell, Surtain, or Slater or all 4 are gone then trade down. I dont want to see a dumb reach at 10 just to fill a position of need on defense.