The folks that want Pitts, Sewell, Slater

Dre11

Reaction score
I never understood the love for Okudah. But I do agree. There are going to be CBs at 44. This is why I advocate a trade down to pick up another 2nd. Then we can take another position in the 1st and two positions in the 2nd.

lol.. talking about a starting CB that crapped the bed in the first round, and you want a CB in the 2nd to start? Diggs was a first that slid, You hoping for that again? not me

Dre11

Reaction score
Already said Pitts was a luxury for the first year or 2. after that you can build around him. Did you not see our O line this past season though? If you can look at Knight and Steele and feel that was acceptable then you can look at our corners and say we have no major holes to fill as well. Nothing you can say will convince me that Surtain should hands down be taken over Pitts or Sewell. Would I be upset if we take Surtain? No not really. I would understand the pick but any other defensive player beside him is a no. Especailly if Slater is still on the board. The value of defensive players is not in the top half of the 1st round whatsoever. All the value is in the bottom half of the 1st round and on day 2. Sorry my man. Not every draft is the same. This is not the draft to be picking early and in need of mostly defense. If for some dumb reason we have no interest in Pitts, Sewell, Surtain, or Slater or all 4 are gone then trade down. I dont want to see a dumb reach at 10 just to fill a position of need on defense.

Yes I saw it? they also all played at once last season, that's not a fair assesment, if that happens again even with Sewell, they'll look just as bad, people are judging the o line (very young and inexperience) last season way to harsh. nobody wants to take in account, we played 4 inexperience lineman at one time. no o line will look good in that situation.
As you said Pitts becomes a luxury, and Sewell could very well sit.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Don't care about the CB position? Right now we have one starter on the roster at CB and I'm not fond of a rookie starter there, but we passed on veteran CBs in Free agency so right now the only way to get one seems to be the draft. If we draft Slater, Sewell or Pitts, we lose Surtain and Joe Horn. Not only is Surtain a great pick at 10, He fits a need and arguably the BPA on defense side of the ball. Why would you do anything else on draft day but take him.?

Does Dallas have only one pick?

RandyOh

Reaction score
Yes I saw it? they also all played at once last season, that's not a fair assesment, if that happens again even with Sewell, they'll look just as bad, people are judging the o line (very young and inexperience) last season way to harsh. nobody wants to take in account, we played 4 inexperience lineman at one time. no o line will look good in that situation.
As you said Pitts becomes a luxury, and Sewell could very well sit.
Sewell would not sit. He would be day 1 starter at LG. Your not starting either Connor over the top O lineman in the draft and the 2nd best talent in the draft behind only Pitts. This is all a silly debate though. Neither Pitts nor Sewell will fall into our laps. We would need to trade up to get either one of them. The real question should be will we go ahead and draft Slater if Surtain is taken before we pick? He would be the only player left on the board worth staying at 10 to take.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So you're taking the chance that Tyron gets hurt for a game or two and Sewell sit on the bench and wait? you're hoping A cb drop when one is sitting in your lap? while we have corners are you comfortable with any of them starting outside of Diggs/
tyron has been out for the past 5 years. this past year for 14.5 games...... Collins had hip surgery, that may spell end of his career. I gaurantee you that Sewell will play significant number of games this year....and you won't be complaining about not having protection for the QB...

I am not hoping a CB may drop.... but given depth of this draft one will drop. if not one of the top safties will drop. if not one of the top DTs will drop, if not one of the top 3 LBs will drop..next to nil chance of none of the top ones be available.....all of those are a need.

Dre11

Reaction score
Sewell would not sit. He would be day 1 starter at LG. Your not starting either Connor over the top O lineman in the draft and the 2nd best talent in the draft behind only Pitts. This is all a silly debate though. Neither Pitts nor Sewell will fall into our laps. We would need to trade up to get either one of them. The real question should be will we go ahead and draft Slater if Surtain is taken before we pick? He would be the only player left on the board worth staying at 10 to take.

so now your're changing you firs round Tackle to gaurd? who says he as good at gaurd as he is at Tackle? what if he's an average gaurd?

Dre11

Reaction score
tyron has been out for the past 5 years. this past year for 14.5 games...... Collins had hip surgery, that may spell end of his career. I gaurantee you that Sewell will play significant number of games this year....and you won't be complaining about not having protection for the QB...

I am not hoping a CB may drop.... but given depth of this draft one will drop. if not one of the top safties will drop. if not one of the top DTs will drop, if not one of the top 3 LBs will drop..next to nil chance of none of the top ones be available.....all of those are a need.

Hip surgery isn't a definite career injury, Smith had never taking a year out to correct his issue, he did last season, I have faith he play most of the season and at a high level, and if he miss a game or a few, I feel our depth can be serviceable enough, as long as ALL 4 DOESN'T HAVE TO PLAY AT ONCE, as they did last year. even with Sewell in that scenario, the o line will be bad.

jnday

Reaction score
Don't care about the CB position? Right now we have one starter on the roster at CB and I'm not fond of a rookie starter there, but we passed on veteran CBs in Free agency so right now the only way to get one seems to be the draft. If we draft Slater, Sewell or Pitts, we lose Surtain and Joe Horn. Not only is Surtain a great pick at 10, He fits a need and arguably the BPA on defense side of the ball. Why would you do anything else on draft day but take him.?
To be honest, I have only seen one CB coming out of college that I would use a top ten pick to draft him and that is Deion Sanders. CBs have a very high bust rate and it is one of the few positions that is overvalued IMO. Dallas could have signed one or two of the FA CBs, but the team is back in salary cap hell, so it looks like the draft will be the way to solve their CB problems.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Right now we have 3 starters on the roster for CB and we got 2 guys at OT coming back from season ending surgeries and a starting TE doing the same. We also have a huge problem in the middle of our defense that was gashed in our biggest game in the last 5 years against the rams in the playoffs and it still hasn’t been addressed. We aren’t losing games because of our corner play.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Hip surgery isn't a definite career injury, Smith had never taking a year out to correct his issue, he did last season, I have faith he play most of the season and at a high level, and if he miss a game or a few, I feel our depth can be serviceable enough, as long as ALL 4 DOESN'T HAVE TO PLAY AT ONCE, as they did last year. even with Sewell in that scenario, the o line will be bad.
I think Sewell is too good of a prospect not to take if he is there. minimally give us option to trade down and pick up more picks for some Tackle hungry team. however, it will also give us an option to move on from Smith in 2022 and go with a cheaper version. everyone complains about cap room, so perhaps time to move on from smith. I do love what he has done for the cowboys, but its business.

I am also leary of our past 5 first round defensive draft picks. none have been any good (top 10, top 15, top 20, top 25, all bad). we just can't afford to mess up this first rounder and have to get an impact player.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
To be honest, I have only seen one CB coming out of college that I would use a top ten pick to draft him and that is Deion Sanders. CBs have a very high bust rate and it is one of the few positions that is overvalued IMO. Dallas could have signed one or two of the FA CBs, but the team is back in salary cap hell, so it looks like the draft will be the way to solve their CB problems.
Look at the guy last year from Detroit.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Right now we have 3 starters on the roster for CB and we got 2 guys at OT coming back from season ending surgeries and a starting TE doing the same. We also have a huge problem in the middle of our defense that was gashed in our biggest game in the last 5 years against the rams in the playoffs and it still hasn’t been addressed. We aren’t losing games because of our corner play.
I tend to agree. if we can't collapse the pocker and put consistent pressure on the QB, no amount of good CB is going to help.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
so now your're changing you firs round Tackle to gaurd? who says he as good at gaurd as he is at Tackle? what if he's an average gaurd?
the move would be to get him on the field. with eventual move to the outside.....we know Tyron will miss a few. wouldn't it be nice to have Sewell rather than what's their name....(Steele). and any average guard would be better than williams.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And we're keep spinning our wheels on defense. the Cowboys don't use Free agency to address their needs , so they leave the draft to address them. BPA don't work for us.
So your argument is that we do free agency wrong, so we should also do the draft wrong to compensate for it? Sorry, can't get behind that.

And of course they use free agency to address needs: they signed 6 defensive free agents this offseason. You may not love those signings, but they did make them in part so they aren't locked in during the draft.

In the last ten years, the Cowboys have drafted 35 guys on offense and 46 on defense.
In the first three rounds of those drafts: 12 offense, 16 defense.
In the first five rounds, 22 offense, 29 defense.
They've used their first pick on defense in 4 of the last 6 drafts.

It's not like the Cowboys have neglected defense in the draft. A single pick, even a first-round pick, isn't going to determine the future of this defense.

jnday

Reaction score
Who cares about the price? It’s not my or your money and they can do anything they WANT to cap wise. Diggs + a rookie may be nice 2 years from now but doesn’t really excite me for this year. Certainly not enough to pass up talents like Sewell or Pitts. Both will likely be gone and a CB or trade back will make the most sense but if one is there I happily take them just like we did Lamb last year and figure out the CB depth chart starting in round 2. No brainer for me but I don’t get caught up in having to have a certain position taken with a certain pick. I like to weigh all available options when it’s time a decide what I think makes the team better for the long term. I also know that there are other CBS in the draft who can play football and there will be veterans available all the way up to and through training camp, some bargain basement, some not so much. If needed, the team can make a move to get another CB at any time.
I have read about how the salary cap is not really an issue, but they didn’t have the cap space to sign a FA CB this offseason. At least that is why they didn’t even consider Butler and other FA CBs. They barely have enough cap space to sign their draft picks.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Always draft the Best Available Player of Need (BAPON). You rank your needs, rank the players by rounds, and draft. If their is no BAPON in that round, you trade down for more picks, if possible a future pick.

RandyOh

Reaction score
You are right. He could just be an average guard...at first but he has the size, strength, and technique to develop into something special but doubt he would stay at guard for long.

Now back to Surtain. Who is to say he is worth a damn without that dominate front 7 overwhelming every teams O line? What if we already have the better Alabama Corner on the roster in Diggs?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Always draft the Best Available Player of Need (BAPON). You rank your needs, rank the players by rounds, and draft. If their is no BAPON in that round, you trade down for more picks, if possible a future pick.
I don't understand what you mean by this. Do you mean that all first-rounders are the same in terms of talent? Because that certainly isn't true. What if you had a guy ranked in the 1st, he's available in the 2nd, but he plays a position that's very low on your list of "needs?" What rules?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you're going to get hung up on what-ifs, you'll never draft anybody. This is what you have scouts and coaches for.