The future is finally in focus

erod

Reaction score
And it's not even his time yet.

I can't wait for Tony Romo to get back. Can't wait. His experience and know-how back in the backfield again, changing protections, signaling a route adjustment to Dez, pointing out the Mike, carving up the defense with his mind and his fancy pocket feet. The entire playbook back at our disposal. Let this big dog of an offense eat.

I so hope the Romo magic is still there. It's glorious to watch, and this season needs it, especially if a playoff game is in its future. He deserves another chance or two, and I hope he gets it.

But....suddenly, it's not nearly as critical as before. No longer are we pressured by the hear-and-now, because this team is no longer under the heavy microscope of the present and past. Sure, it is for Romo, but not for this team. Not for us. Not anymore.

There is a future. Say it with me.....by gosh, there's life after Romo. By some cruel joke to Cowboy haters everywhere, the Cowboys have stumbled on to Dak Prescott late in the draft after a half dozen had gone before him. It's another Romo miracle.

It's not just that Prescott can play. The real story is that Romo and Prescott are the too most poised, mature, well-mannered, serious, studied, and personality-polished players on the roster right now. Prescott doesn't just play like a veteran, he ACTS like one. None of this seems overwhelming to him.

Prescott isn't jaw-jacking after he makes a play. He's not look-at-me showboating after he scores, or getting into it with opponents. He more or less told Dez to shut up and play last week by telling the media he's not concerned about how many catches he receiver gets. I loved that. When he plays, it's Prescott's huddle. Nobody challenges him, and he wouldn't tolerate it if they did.

Plus, Prescott has a body built for the brutality of the position, and with a penchant for keeping plays alive and his eyes downfield. Prescott can run, but he doesn't unless there's no option. That is a real QB, and it will serve his longevity well. It's important because that ability tends to leave mid-career like it did Romo, so to be a QB first is vital. He won't be 23 forever.

Romo will return sometime after the first 4-6 games. It'll be fun to see him out there, and I hope he can still play like the Tony we know. I hope the back issues settle down and the collar bone is strong so this deserving warrior can finish his career on his terms this year and next.

But if not....if that back torques wrongly or that shoulder shatters again, we won't be held hostage this time with our heads buried in our hands. You know that position too well. We've all assumed it a few times in recent years.

If there's another unfortunate next time, we can say a sincere 'thanks' to Tony and turn the page. It'll be an unfair ending for a guy that's shouldered this team through tough times, taking Jerry's 3-13 rosters to 8-8 and beyond. What Romo has done with historically bad defenses and no-name offensive lines is nothing short of Hall-of-Fame worthy. Football ain't always fair.

Whatever happens, our football anxieties have been cured by an almost accidental afterthought of a compensatory pick in the 4th round. It's almost like finding an unknown kid from Eastern Illinois all over again. Just listen to the teeth-grinding around the league. Imagine the Commander fans' thoughts yesterday watching Dak. Yummy.

So the Dallas Cowboys are still Tony Romo's team. Sooner or later, it'll be Dak Prescott's. For about the next 10-15 years, in fact.

What a beautiful thing to write with confidence.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I can't wait for Tony Romo to get back. Can't wait. His experience and know-how back in the backfield again, changing protections, signaling a route adjustment to Dez, pointing out the Mike, carving up the defense with his mind and his fancy pocket feet. The entire playbook back at our disposal. Let this big dog of an offense eat.

I so hope the Romo magic is still there. It's glorious to watch, and this season needs it, especially if a playoff game is in its future. He deserves another chance or two, and I hope he gets it.

But....suddenly, it's not nearly as critical as before. No longer are we pressured by the hear-and-now, because this team is no longer under the heavy microscope of the present and past. Sure, it is for Romo, but not for this team. Not for us. Not anymore.

There is a future. Say it with me.....by gosh, there's life after Romo. By some cruel joke to Cowboy haters everywhere, the Cowboys have stumbled on to Dak Prescott late in the draft after a half dozen had gone before him. It's another Romo miracle.

It's not just that Prescott can play. The real story is that Romo and Prescott are the too most poised, mature, well-mannered, serious, studied, and personality-polished players on the roster right now. Prescott doesn't just play like a veteran, he ACTS like one. None of this seems overwhelming to him.

Prescott isn't jaw-jacking after he makes a play. He's not look-at-me showboating after he scores, or getting into it with opponents. He more or less told Dez to shut up and play last week by telling the media he's not concerned about how many catches he receiver gets. I loved that. When he plays, it's Prescott's huddle. Nobody challenges him, and he wouldn't tolerate it if they did.

Plus, Prescott has a body built for the brutality of the position, and with a penchant for keeping plays alive and his eyes downfield. Prescott can run, but he doesn't unless there's no option. That is a real QB, and it will serve his longevity well. It's important because that ability tends to leave mid-career like it did Romo, so to be a QB first is vital. He won't be 23 forever.

Romo will return sometime after the first 4-6 games. It'll be fun to see him out there, and I hope he can still play like the Tony we know. I hope the back issues settle down and the collar bone is strong so this deserving warrior can finish his career on his terms this year and next.

But if not....if that back torques wrongly or that shoulder shatters again, we won't be held hostage this time with our heads buried in our hands. You know that position too well. We've all assumed it a few times in recent years.

If there's another unfortunate next time, we can say a sincere 'thanks' to Tony and turn the page. It'll be an unfair ending for a guy that's shouldered this team through tough times, taking Jerry's 3-13 rosters to 8-8 and beyond. What Romo has done with historically bad defenses and no-name offensive lines is nothing short of Hall-of-Fame worthy. Football ain't always fair.

Whatever happens, our football anxieties have been cured by an almost accidental afterthought of a compensatory pick in the 4th round. It's almost like finding an unknown kid from Eastern Illinois all over again. Just listen to the teeth-grinding around the league. Imagine the Commander fans' thoughts yesterday watching Dak. Yummy.

So the Dallas Cowboys are still Tony Romo's team. Sooner or later, it'll be Dak Prescott's. For about the next 10-15 years, in fact.

NO actually you are way out of focus. This needs to be Daks team going forward and never look back. For any guy to sit there two weeks in a row and not be drooling over Dak is totally ridiculous.

erod

Reaction score
NO actually you are way out of focus. This needs to be Daks team going forward and never look back. For any guy to sit there two weeks in a row and not be drooling over Dak is totally ridiculous.

You simply know very little about football. And I have no interest in teaching you.

Go find another forum. You add nothing here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You simply know very little about football. And I have no interest in teaching you.

Who left it up to you?

If you want to write your wanna be editorials, be prepared for people having a difference of opinion.

If you can't handle that, maybe it's you who needs to "go find another forum"?

erod

Reaction score
Who left it up to you?

If you want to write your wanna be editorials, be prepared for people having a difference of opinion.

If you can't handle that, maybe it's you who needs to "go find another forum"?

He didn't even read it. He read the headline and puked up a retort.

I know a know-nothing when I read one.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Dak Prescott is the best thing that has happened to this franchise in 20 years. I am happy about it and you get offended and insult me. LOL

LOL.....I certainly know a lot more than you do.

Talk about trying waaaaaay tooo hard. And then you get it all wrong. What is the point?

And if someone says something you disagree with, you lash out with anger and hatred.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Imagine what a year of tutelage under Romo will do for Dak. Just watch and learn the NFL game through Tony's eyes. Prescott could be a monster of a QB in just a couple of years.

I wouldn't be surprised seeing him put up Cam Newton like numbers in 2 years. Great opening post BTW.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score

Perfectly said on Romo and Dak.

erod

Reaction score
Dak Prescott is the best thing that has happened to this franchise in 20 years. I am happy about it and you get offended and insult me. LOL

All you contribute is wrong way drivel week in and week out. And the funniest part is you telling me that you think your some kind of great writer. Trying to build us all up with emotion. LOL

Talk about trying waaaaaay tooo hard. And then you get it all wrong. What is the point?

And if someone says something you disagree with, you lash out with anger and hatred.

How about you go find another team to root for if you dont like it. And take some writing classes while your at it.

I've had enough turns debating against your misguided ignorance. It's like arguing with a child.

Congratulations, you just became the second person I've ever put on ignore during my long tenure on this message board.

Have a good life.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score

You guys need to relax . We are all acknowledging Dak Prescotts promise. But , We are 15-3 in Romo's last 18 starts. He is a better passer right now and Romo is the starter right now. Having two capable QB's is NOT a bad thing so chill out!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He didn't even read it. He read the headline and puked up a retort.

I know a know-nothing when I read one.

I read the whole thing. It was difficult to do, but I got though it. For you to watch Dak Prescott this week and then come on here and the first thing you say is "I cant wait for Romo to come back"?

Just shows how completely out of touch you are with this team and what is going on here. You should be jumping over buildings happy about Dak Prescott. Try to remember that this is a football forum.

NorTex

Reaction score
If I had faith that Tony could come back and play injury free I might be as excited as the OP, but I have no faith in Romo's ability to stay healthy. At this point I see him as a progress stopper like Bledsoe was for Tom Brady.

We're in an enviable situation either way though.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You guys need to relax . We are all acknowledging Dak Prescotts promise. But , We are 15-3 in Romo's last 18 starts. He is a better passer right now and Romo is the starter right now. Having two capable QB's is NOT a bad thing so chill out!

This has NOTHING to do with who is a better passer right now.

But that being said............there are plays that Dak is making that Romo would be getting killed on.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If I had faith that Tony could come back and play injury free I might be as excited as the OP, but I have no faith in Romo's ability to stay healthy. At this point I see him as a progress stopper like Bledsoe was for Tom Brady.

We're in an enviable situation either way though.

I would rather go 5-4 with Prescott and have him better prepared for next year then go 6-3 with Romo.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I read it whole thing. It was difficult to do, but I got though it. For you to watch Dak Prescott this week and then come on here and the first thing you say is "I cant wait for Romo to come back"?

Just shows how completely out of touch you are with this team and what is going on here. You should be jumping over buildings happy about Dak Prescott. Try to remember that this is a football forum.

I think some understand it's a long season. Teams will adjust to Dak, trying to take away his strengths. Where as with Romo the guy knows every coverage and can read the defense before taking the snap. The best case scenario is for Prescott to still sit and take over in 2018.