The future is finally in focus

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys need to relax . We are all acknowledging Dak Prescotts promise. But , We are 15-3 in Romo's last 18 starts. He is a better passer right now and Romo is the starter right now. Having two capable QB's is NOT a bad thing so chill out!

And Prescott has done his part to have this team 2-0 and rolling.

This isn't "Tony Romo's team". He shouldn't simply be handed the keys back based on his performances that occurred over two years ago, while ignoring the fact that he's now missed significant time three times in the past year.

If this team has its' future - and all indicators are that it does - they should stick with that future and be thrilled at their good fortune. But to simply turn around and hand the job back to Romo doesn't show a whole lot of long-term thinking.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I would rather go 5-4 with Prescott and have him better prepared for next year then go 6-3 with Romo.
Omg sorry you don't know football. A QB 's main job is to throw the football. You're saying you don't care if Romo is a better passer , and that you'd rather be 5-4 than 6-3 ? You're argument is just unsound.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think some understand it's a long season. Teams will adjust to Dak, trying to take away his strengths. Where as with Romo the guy knows every coverage and can read the defense before taking the snap. The best case scenario is for Prescott to still sit and take over in 2018.

Thanks for giving your opinion.

Mine is that unless Prescott stumbles, I'm not 'giving' Romo the job back. Sorry, his play might not have lost it for him, but his health did.

erod

Reaction score
If I had faith that Tony could come back and play injury free I might be as excited as the OP, but I have no faith in Romo's ability to stay healthy. At this point I see him as a progress stopper like Bledsoe was for Tom Brady.

We're in an enviable situation either way though.

It's not going to stop his progress. It'll be like going to QB University for a year or two, then he'll see it in high definition. The Cowboys are running a very basic passing game right now with a lot of quick, easy throws. But you still have to execute it, and Dak is doing well.

Unfortunately, this team is going to have to score in the 30s routinely with this defense, and Romo can do that better than Dak right now.

We'll see what Romo has soon enough, but at least we don't have to worry every time he gets hit. There is another QB that can play now, and he's only 23, as opposed to some old journeyman trying to collect a check.

RS12

Reaction score
I am as hopeful on Dak as everybody else but I still think a wait and see approach is called for. I can name several rookie QBs that started looking like the real deal and faded to oblivion. Vince Young, Ryan Leaf, Josh Freeman, Sanchez, the list is endless. So lets see this play out more than a few games before we anoint.

DFWJC

Reaction score
NO actually you are way out of focus. This needs to be Daks team going forward and never look back. For any guy to sit there two weeks in a row and not be drooling over Dak is totally ridiculous.
Everyone should be excited about Dak
But you really are out of your mind with some of the stuff you are spewing.
Are you related to Dak or something...maybe a MSU fan? Honest question.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Here's the deal.

Jerry and Garrett have yet, another, high quality/caliber player.

We all should be VERY CONCERNED that their football inabilities will ruin and waste yet, ANOTHER, great player.

Not gloom and doom at all... This is who they are!

CowboyShuy

Reaction score
NO actually you are way out of focus. This needs to be Daks team going forward and never look back. For any guy to sit there two weeks in a row and not be drooling over Dak is totally ridiculous.

You just don´t understand what Romo brings to this offense, you want Zeke to improve? you want Prescott to improve? we need Romo out there. Look at Aaron Rodgers and Favre. That´s what we need right now. Prescott needs to be able to read the defense like Romo does. The best thing about Prescott is that he has Romo as a mentor, that´s what a lot of NFL teams lack.

erod

Reaction score
I am as hopeful on Dak as everybody else but I still think a wait and see approach is called for. I can name several rookie QBs that started looking like the real deal and faded to oblivion. Vince Young, Ryan Leaf, Josh Freeman, Sanchez, the list is endless. So lets see this play out more than a few games before we anoint.

None of those guys had Dak's poise, but you're right about wait-and-see.

But isn't it nice to have a truly legitimate QB in waiting to develop? How long has it been?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Everyone should be excited about Dak
But you really are out of your mind with some of the stuff you are spewing.
Are you related to Dak or something...maybe a MSU fan? Honest questIion.

Ah, someone that can disagree with class. Nicely done.

Maybe I just know a great young QB when I see one where others aren't sure yet.

I dont think you realize how lucky we are. If it weren't for finding Dak how long might it have been while we wallowed in mediocrity trying to find one? I had no faith in management. Whether they got lucky or it was good drafting, this kid is special.

So what is it that sounds crazy to you?

Im baffled you arent jumping out of the building over this kid.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
This has NOTHING to do with who is a better passer right now.

But that being said............there are plays that Dak is making that Romo would be getting killed on.

Actually, it has everything to do with who the better passer is. You simply cannot encapsulate ten years of NFL experience into a rookie. And Erod is absolutely right about pre-snap reads, adjustments and 3rd and ever 4th reads during a play.

Romo's return will free the running game up to where Zeke and Morris will dominate much like Murray did. We are still limited by defenses playing to stop the run. Also, Dak has yet to stretch the field, which is fine. He's doing exactly what he's supposed to do.

It's hard to believe that anybody thinks Dak gives us a better chance to win right now than with Romo and the first person who would tell you that is Dak. Yes, there are plays that Dak is making that Tony wouldn't, and there are receivers that Tony would see that Dak isn't. Look at Beasley running wide open last week on the last series.

There is no downside here and I don't understand why people are upset. It looks like we're good at the most important position in football for the next 12 years. Other teams will be shaking their heads in disgust at us.

Dak's time is coming, sooner probably rather than later and disagreement is fine. If you think Dak should be the man, that's fine too, we are all just as excited about him as you are but make no mistake, as soon as Romo is healthy it's his team until it isn't and if that's not the case, well that means Dak is absolutely tearing it up by week six and that's great too. It's the Dallas Cowboys not the Dallas Romo's or the Dallas Dak's.

It's all good - really.

RS12

Reaction score
None of those guys had Dak's poise, but you're right about wait-and-see.

But isn't it nice to have a truly legitimate QB in waiting to develop? How long has it been?

I got stoned for saying I didnt trust Romo to stay healthy when camp started, and he stayed healthy for a whole 3 plays. So my main reason for really hoping Dak is the guy is because the end looks really near for the current QB. So yeah I REALLY hope Dak is the guy, he needs to do it for a couple seasons though until I believe it. Seen too many flame out.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Omg sorry you don't know football. A QB 's main job is to throw the football. You're saying you don't care if Romo is a better passer , and that you'd rather be 5-4 than 6-3 ? You're argument is just unsound.

LOL......what is wrong with you angry people?

Romo is on the bench buddy. You cant be a better passer with a broken back. Maybe when Romo gets healthy we can see where Dak is and the team is. Romo was a better passer two years ago when he was 100% healthy and 34 years old. You need to stop living in the past and start taking a look at the future. Winning the Super Bowl is what's important, not winning a few more games this year. The future is Dak Prescott.

erod

Reaction score
I got stoned for saying I didnt trust Romo to stay healthy when camp started, and he stayed healthy for a whole 3 plays. So my main reason for really hoping Dak is the guy is because the end looks really near for the current QB. So yeah I REALLY hope Dak is the guy, he needs to do it for a couple seasons though until I believe it. Seen too many flame out.

He truly has the best situation I've ever seen a rookie QB walk into. Amazing offensive line providing great protection. Good receivers and backs. Most rookies walk into a minefield.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Actually, it has everything to do with who the better passer is. You simply cannot encapsulate ten years of NFL experience into a rookie. And Erod is absolutely right about pre-snap reads, adjustments and 3rd and ever 4th reads during a play.

Romo's return will free the running game up to where Zeke and Morris will dominate much like Murray did. We are still limited by defenses playing to stop the run. Also, Dak has yet to stretch the field, which is fine. He's doing exactly what he's supposed to do.

It's hard to believe that anybody thinks Dak gives us a better chance to win right now than with Romo and the first person who would tell you that is Dak. Yes, there are plays that Dak is making that Tony wouldn't, and there are receivers that Tony would see that Dak isn't. Look at Beasley running wide open last week on the last series.

There is no downside here and I don't understand why people are upset. It looks like we're good at the most important position in football for the next 12 years. Other teams will be shaking their heads in disgust at us.

Dak's time is coming, sooner probably rather than later and disagreement is fine. If you think Dak should be the man, that's fine too, we are all just as excited about him as you are but make no mistake, as soon as Romo is healthy it's his team until it isn't and if that's not the case, well that means Dak is absolutely tearing it up by week six and that's great too. It's the Dallas Cowboys not the Dallas Romo's or the Dallas Dak's.

It's all good - really.
I never said Dak gave us a better chance to win now. Never said it and never implied it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Then can we also allow him the opportunity to play well and keep the job?

That seems only fair, right?

This talk of simply handing the keys back to Romo is ridiculous. The fact is that he hasn't played well since the 2014 season and has suffered not one, not two, but three significant injuries in less than a year's time. And that's on top of two prior back surgeries and one of, if not the worst track record of health among any starting quarterback in the league.

How anyone is in a rush to go back to that is crazy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Here's the deal.

Jerry and Garrett have yet, another, high quality/caliber player.

We all should be VERY CONCERNED that their football inabilities will ruin and waste yet, ANOTHER, great player.

Not gloom and doom at all... This is who they are!

Yep..........I could see a scenario where Dak rots on the bench for another year or two while Romo fumbles in and out of the lineup.

RS12

Reaction score
Then can we also allow him the opportunity to play well and keep the job?

That seems only fair, right?

This talk of simply handing the keys back to Romo is ridiculous. The fact is that he hasn't played well since the 2014 season and has suffered not one, not two, but three significant injuries in less than a year's time. And that's on top of two prior back surgeries and one of, if not the worst track record of health among any starting quarterback in the league.

How anyone is in a rush to go back to that is crazy.

Stash love you man but you know they arent going to keep Romo on the bench making what he is making. It just aint gonna happen. The real question is how long does he last when he returns? My guess is not long. If he gets re injured I think then it is over.