Twitter: The Geno Atkins option might be gone

Praxit

Reaction score
You are being so shortsighted on Trysten Hill.

The league is about to get a sucker punch to the face from him.
...sorry man, I wish I shared some of your optimism. I feel this bloke will be avg at best. HOPE I'm wrong though.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah, according to your crystal ball, some 33 year old guy is going to come in the last two weeks of camp and be better than the younger guy who has been here the whole time.

Yeah, I think it's worth a look. DT play will be an issue all year long. It's the one clear weakness on this defensive roster. Carlos Watkins is a total JAG. So no, I don't expect much out of him. He offers very little other than being a body. That's it. So yeah, I'd kick the tires on Atkins and see what he's looking for. If he wants like 7-8MM a year, thanks but no thanks. If he's willing to take 2-3MM, I'd consider that because gun to head, I'd bet on getting better play out of Atkins than a total boob like Carlos Watkins or Justin Hamilton.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I like Odigi.

I think he has a lot of potential to become a good player.

but depending on him to be the starter week 1 is malpractice. He is a 3rd round rookie. He needs time to be ready for that role.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
And there it is.......... "progress stopper". The battle cry of the Cowboys homers where they believe everyone one on the roster is a good player in waiting that can only be derailed if there is a veteran player brought in from the outside in front of him.

If you'd rather have Justin Hamilton than Geno Atkins, LOL.

Should we cut Dowdle and bring in Adrian Peterson?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this name from last year.......fans/posters begged for his signing

To be fair. Griffey was decent last season
Once he get out of Dallas and the clusterf*** that was our defensive scheme last year.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
2019 PFF Grades for fun:

Geno Atkins = 76.2
Carlos Watkins = 55.8 (46.6 in 2020)
Tristan Hill = 57
Bent Urban = 55.1 (79.5 in 2020)

Sydla

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this name from last year.......fans/posters begged for his signing

And it was still worth the risk. The Cowboys were able to dump him with no cap implications. They had a pass rush problem last year and tried to fix it. It's not like Griffen somehow stunted the development of a stud pass rusher last year that would have had 14 sacks if Griffen hadn't been on the roster.

Sydla

Reaction score
Should we cut Dowdle and bring in Adrian Peterson?

Kind of a silly point. Dowdle is a 3rd TB, he might get 10 carries this year, if he's lucky. Comparing bringing in a vet TB for a young guy at the 3rd RB position isn't even in the same ballpark as bringing in a vet DT who might get 200+ snaps in a DT rotation.

So no, I don't think you have to cut Dowdle for Peterson but frankly if they did, I don't think it has any effect at all on the team.

Sydla

Reaction score
How about 2020 grades? Yeah, didn’t think so. :muttley:

That 46.6 grade on Watkins was impressive.

Yeah, I'd kick the tires on an older Atkins coming off injury over Carlos Watkins.

erod

Reaction score
Dallas tried this with Henry Melton, Cedric Thornton, and Gerald McCoy.

I think they're tired of that route.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Hahaha. Yeah it was smart bringing in Watkins and Urban to be backups..........on a team that lacks high quality starting DTs.
Just wait and see. The season is only 2 weeks away. We will soon see who was right.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
@Risen Star Well, the Aldon Smith experiment was a complete failure for Seattle. Let Seattle pay him a lot of money and rub salt in OT Duane Brown’s wounds as he cries for more money. Priceless.
Snacks Harrrison as well. Everyone in here was crying cause the Cowboys didn't get him and look how that turned out.