Twitter: The Geno Atkins option might be gone

Sydla

Reaction score
After the fiasco that was Poe and McCoy, I’ll pass.

Was it a fiasco? We cut both, had no significant long term cap implications.

So they didn’t work out. So what? You think Justin Hamilton and Carlos Watkins are gonna work out for us?

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Was it a fiasco? We cut both, had no significant long term cap implications.

So they didn’t work out. So what? You think Justin Hamilton and Carlos Watkins are gonna work out for us?
I’m saying that Atkins IMO is just about done. And I don’t think that Watkins and Hamilton are gonna be difference makers. Heck it ain’t my money. They want to throw it at Atkins go right ahead.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
How many games did Atkins play in 2020?

he was playing injured...

"It’s not like Atkins was even expected to be a workhorse last season. Defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo made it a point of emphasis that Atkins would be rotated more frequently to keep him fresh towards the late part of the season. The rotation had to be amped up because he simply wasn’t himself. He never was after the injury.

Players play hurt all the time; this isn’t anything groundbreaking. When the player in question is approaching his mid-30s and he has one of the largest cap-hits on the roster, some nuance gets thrown into the conversation. This is ultimately why Atkins has been speculated as a cap-casualty ever since his season ended.

In all likelihood, Atkins’ surgery will help him get fully healthy this offseason. He may’ve lost a year, but all that talent didn’t just vanish."

Sydla

Reaction score
I’m saying that Atkins IMO is just about done. And I don’t think that Watkins and Hamilton are gonna be difference makers. Heck it ain’t my money. They want to throw it at Atkins go right ahead.

He might be done. I don't know. He was still pretty effective in 2019 and then got hurt in 2020. Would you take the 2019 Atkins on this team? I would. That's how questionable our DT play is likely going to be.

Again, kick the tires on him. See what he wants in terms of pay. Sure, if he wants a long term deal or some big one year number you walk. If he's OK playing on a one year, $4-5MM deal, I can live with that.

Don't mistake the point here. It's not that I think Atkins is some stud that transforms our DT position. It's that I have little hope what we have is all that good and I'll take a flier on maybe catching lightning in a bottle for a year.

Sydla

Reaction score
How many games did Atkins play in 2020?

So because he played in only 8 games in 2020 that means he can't still be effective as a player anymore?

Whew boy, someone better tell Tyron Smith he's done. He missed 14 games last year.

NotForLong

Reaction score
That's unfortunate. I had hoped Dallas would at least bring him in for a visit. At least check his medicals and get a gauge what his asking price may be.
After Poe & McCoy fiasco I dont trust Cowboys around any aging former all pro DTs

Malhavoc

Reaction score
He might be done. I don't know. He was still pretty effective in 2019 and then got hurt in 2020. Would you take the 2019 Atkins on this team? I would. That's how questionable our DT play is likely going to be.

Again, kick the tires on him. See what he wants in terms of pay. Sure, if he wants a long term deal or some big one year number you walk. If he's OK playing on a one year, $4-5MM deal, I can live with that.

Don't mistake the point here. It's not that I think Atkins is some stud that transforms our DT position. It's that I have little hope what we have is all that good and I'll take a flier on maybe catching lightning in a bottle for a year.
I gotcha. Now if I new I was getting 2019 Atkins that’s worth a contract. But his age and the fact that he’s coming back from an injury I think reduces those chances greatly.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
So because he played in only 8 games in 2020 that means he can't still be effective as a player anymore?

Whew boy, someone better tell Tyron Smith he's done. He missed 14 games last year.

How many tackles did Atkins have in those 8 games?

Sydla

Reaction score
How many tackles did Atkins have in those 8 games?

He was hurt.

But your logic here seems to be that because he was hurt last year he can't be good in 2021. But why doesn't that logic apply to injured Cowboys? Why do you assume they will be good coming off major injuries?

At the end of the day, you are that Cowboys homer that just thinks everyone we have is a good player in waiting. That the team could not benefit from outside help because that player would likely be an older player and that would stunt the growth of our 7th round player who really was a steal in the draft. I mean you are literally arguing that Justin Hamilton, who would be lucky to make a NFL roster anywhere is a better risk than taking a flier on a guy who played well two years ago and was a former all pro in this league.

You aren't exactly being rational here.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
He was hurt.

But your logic here seems to be that because he was hurt last year he can't be good in 2021. But why doesn't that logic apply to injured Cowboys? Why do you assume they will be good coming off major injuries?

At the end of the day, you are that Cowboys homer that just thinks everyone we have is a good player in waiting. That the team could not benefit from outside help because that player would likely be an older player and that would stunt the growth of our 7th round player who really was a steal in the draft. I mean you are literally arguing that Justin Hamilton, who would be lucky to make a NFL roster anywhere is a better risk than taking a flier on a guy who played well two years ago and was a former all pro in this league.

You aren't exactly being rational here.

If Hamilton gets cut, he will generate much more interest from teams than 8 games/1 tackle, 33-year-old Atkins coming off rotator cuff surgery.