The goat, where does Prescott really rank

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I did not realize they have never won it. Adds fuel to my cause of going back to ground and pound.
well, actually its a little bit of both. usually passing yard leaders come from teams that are behind often, either due to bad defense, or bad running game, etc...and are forced to pass a lot to catch up (being in catch up mode all the time)....

but you have to be a "good passing team"......and then you need a good supporting running game, and get the lead, eat the clock by running the ball in the 4th....so not necessarily ground and pound (given those teams haven't won neither). but a balance...

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
well, actually its a little bit of both. usually passing yard leaders come from teams that are behind often, either due to bad defense, or bad running game, etc...and are forced to pass a lot to catch up (being in catch up mode all the time)....

but you have to be a "good passing team"......and then you need a good supporting running game, and get the lead, eat the clock by running the ball in the 4th....so not necessarily ground and pound (given those teams haven't won neither). but a balance...

whatever it takes to keep this horrid defense off the field

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

I think the biggest reason is red zone....Look at Warren Moon and the Oilers back in the day....the passing game was great when there is field to work with..In the Red Zone everything shrinks so much you have to have some kind of run game to pull the defense back to the middle if your going to score. When there is no run game threat they can easily sit on every route from the 15 on in. Even all the rule changes can not open up the red zone passing because Zone works so well when the offense has no run game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think the biggest reason is red zone....Look at Warren Moon and the Oilers back in the day....the passing game was great when there is field to work with..In the Red Zone everything shrinks so much you have to have some kind of run game to pull the defense back to the middle if your going to score. When there is no run game threat they can easily sit on every route from the 15 on in. Even all the rule changes can not open up the red zone passing because Zone works so well when the offense has no run game.
very true, its much harder to pass in the redzone, as you said because there is less space to work with and everyone is jammed in, including the receivers that only have so much space to work with before interfering with each other....

kskboys

Reaction score
Well said.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Historically, Dak has been a QB well known to have an outstanding work ethic. I expect that's had a lot to do with people expecting him to improve when he hasn't been active for a while, as in last year. He's been lauded for his excellent work in rehabbing from his ankle trauma. Ideally, it'd be outstanding if he is able to rebound from that disaster with flying colors. From what the onlookers are saying so far, it's been very encouraging. ;)

Last edited: