The goat, where does Prescott really rank

jnday

Reaction score
its not disingenuous at all. Comparing 60,70, and 80s football to todays game is not disingenuous, its idiotic.
Here is the list of 5000 yard passers:
1. Peyton Manning: 5,477 in 2013

2. Drew Brees: 5,476 in 2011

3. Tom Brady: 5,235 in 2011

4. Drew Brees: 5,208 in 2016

5. Drew Brees: 5,177 in 2012

6. Drew Brees: 5, 162 in 2013

7. Dan Marino: 5,084 in 1984

8. Drew Brees: 5,069 in 2008

9. Matthew Stafford: 5,038 in 2011

Steelers' veteran quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who is on track to break 5,000-yards in 2018, came just 48 yards shy in 2014 when he passed for a career-high 4,952 yards. Drew Brees was also 48 yards short and missed making yet another appearance on the 5K club list in that same season.

The Falcons' Matt Ryan, Giants' Eli Manning, former Commanders QB Kirk Courins (now with the Vikings) and former Cowboys QB Tony Romo have all come within 100 yards of 5,000 but failed to crack the barrier.

The bolded was copied from an article. Do you think it is a coincidence that nobody threw for 5k yards for 27 years after Marino, and then pow..... a qb does it or threatens to do it basically every year now? Why? Because the rules have changed in a way that makes passing much, much easier. So comparing offenses, qbs, and Super Bowl winners of the "Old days," with the more modern game isnt disingenuous, its foolish.
There are many QBs from those days that would rewrite the record books if they played with today’s rules.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The team definitely won games and was a better team when Dak was being a bus driver and the offense was centered around Zeke. I know all of the stat lovers don’t want to hear it, but those stats have not translated to wins.
Look, Ive never been a huge Dak guy, but I can not deny he was absolutely on fire last year before that injury. It wasnt his fault the d was so pathetic. Hes definitely not that bus driver he was in his first 2 years.

jnday

Reaction score
thank god Mahomes has that great Chiefs defense. Boy, That great Bucs d led them to exactly//.......... ZERO playoff appearances in like the previous 40 years prior to Brady showing up. Yep, defense is where its at.

Using 1 game to determine how a team won aSB is ,.... FOOLISH. Defense used to win Championships, not any longer. Now, if you have an all time great defense... thats a different issue.
I guess that pressure coming from the Buc’s defense didn’t help win the super Bowl at all. Defense used to win championships? Defense shut down the best QB in the league.

jnday

Reaction score
Just imagine our own Roger Staubach playing in todays game....... hed be pushing 5k every season. He was Mahomes before Mahomes.
Dandy Don would have been great with the current rules as well. If Aikman played in a passing offense, he could have really shown just how great of a passer that he really was. When I see these current “Cowboy” fans bash these great QBs to try to show that Dak is a better QB, it is sickening. These former Cowboy QBs didn’t have rules that allowed their WRs to run routes basically untouched and there was no rules protecting these QBs from getting killed every play. It’s a totally different game .

jnday

Reaction score
Look, Ive never been a huge Dak guy, but I can not deny he was absolutely on fire last year before that injury. It wasnt his fault the d was so pathetic. Hes definitely not that bus driver he was in his first 2 years.
My point is that the team was a better team and they were winning more games when Dak was not putting up those stats that impresses the Dak fans. There is no need to touch on those stats coming against defenses that was just playing to protect a lead that Dallas has no chance of overcoming. It is no secret that I don’t care for Dak at all. I could go into a two rant about him, but I am about done with that. It will not change any minds and it is a waste of my time. I criticized Dak for struggling to pass for two hundred yards a game, but looking back, the team was winning more games when he was being a game manager.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I guess that pressure coming from the Buc’s defense didn’t help win the super Bowl at all. Defense used to win championships? Defense shut down the best QB in the league.
2 things.....Mahomes was clearly injured.
2) I already said in any one game a defense can do a great job, but that defense got them absolutely NOWHERE in the previous 10 years, not even 1 stinking trip to the playoffs.

jnday

Reaction score
2) I already said in any one game a defense can do a great job, but that defense got them absolutely NOWHERE in the previous 10 years, not even 1 stinking trip to the playoffs.
It was a different defense than the defense from the last 10 years. They was different from the the first game to the Super Bowl. They may not have been the best in the league, but they played like it towards the end of the season when it really counted.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not sure where Dak might rank when all is said and done at the end of the upcoming season. Ideally, his health should remain good enough to allow him to put his best foot forward throughout a long, hard season. I can picture him finishing in the top ten if he's able to remain healthy for the duration of a very demanding season.

The competition will be difficult, with so many young defensive players trying to get the experience they'll need for success to follow. I can easily picture them turning a far better effort than the defense did in 2020. That alone, seems to be a very likely no-brainer.

I think we'll finish the upcoming season feeling quite good about the progress that this team has made in 2021. Another offseason as good as the one we've just had should bode even better for us in 2022. Now, there's something to look forward to! It'd be great to be labeled as being "elite" again.

Last edited:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You're right. The 8-8 and 1-3 record we've put up since Kellen Moore wants to be pass happy and pretend Dak isn't the bus driver he is speaks for itself.

shabazz

Reaction score
The Delusion is strong in this thread

1-2 playoff record and his name in the title of a GOAT thread

Embarrassing

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
here is the problem in a nutshell. We know Dak can put up good numbers and collect some good stats on paper, but has that really helped this team win? That pass happy style is a detriment to this team and it has little to do with Dak himself. The issue is how bad our defense magnified by rules that give offenses more leverage. When we were RB centric, even when defenses knew we would run we were a much more dangerous team, better record, won rushing tittles, made the playoffs etc. Dak passing for the most yards ever earned us 8-8 and a horrible start to last year before he got hurt. There is a reason our defense looked better on paper those 1st few years when Dak arrived, it's cause they were well rested as Zeke was killing opponents. We need to get back to a more dominant run game, efficient passing, and of course the most important is scoring TD's in the redzone.

quickccc

Reaction score
Bradys the GOAT. But Dak will show, yet again, that he can hold his own against the best of them. Brady had great teams behind him. Dak has had awful teams behind him.

Just like ANY QB in the league, you have to surround and supply your QB with coaching, player personnel to Win.. even the great Belichek fell off when it came to
supplying Brady with big playmakers in the passing game. They had bust draft picks, Gronk retired, aging, declining vet WRs, and average joes at the WR spots for Brady.

And people were absolutely blasting Brady his last year in NE as " on the physical decline, ..showing his age,.. he can't throw downfield or deep anymore ", etc.
But the Buc had it set up for him, and i'm very sure he took a long look at what Bucs had on hand in personnel, coaching and financially for himself, and took the
bait.
They had a defense in place, very competent coaches on both sides of the ball, players on both sides of the ball, were doing marvelously in the draft
with adding players like LB Devin White, OT Wirst, etc. among other player acquisitions.

That's just as much a high priority with the Cowboys and Dak as well. Build the strongest supporting cast as possible for him.
And that includes coaches and players on both sides of the ball.

kskboys

Reaction score
Of course. Have to have a good QB to go w/ it.

What's up w/ this polarizing crapp?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I like Dak but when Dak goes to bed at night he dreams about being Tom Brady just for one day.

kskboys

Reaction score
here is the problem in a nutshell. We know Dak can put up good numbers and collect some good stats on paper, but has that really helped this team win? That pass happy style is a detriment to this team and it has little to do with Dak himself. The issue is how bad our defense magnified by rules that give offenses more leverage. When we were RB centric, even when defenses knew we would run we were a much more dangerous team, better record, won rushing tittles, made the playoffs etc. Dak passing for the most yards ever earned us 8-8 and a horrible start to last year before he got hurt. There is a reason our defense looked better on paper those 1st few years when Dak arrived, it's cause they were well rested as Zeke was killing opponents. We need to get back to a more dominant run game, efficient passing, and of course the most important is scoring TD's in the redzone.
The passing yards leader has never won the super bowl.

quickccc

Reaction score

Not gonna happen. That type, that style of offensive days are a thing of the past.
Especially when you’ve just committed a record breaking mega contract like the one Dak has just received, ..especially when you supplied this QB with a potentially dynamic trio of WRs per trade, two per 1st round pick investments by trade and by draft, and even more so another record breaking contract to the WR you also traded a No.1 pick for in Cooper.

- Cowboys have already invested way too much in their passing game to go back to a Zeke run dominant offense.

- And Instead of continuing to mask, and band aid our Defense .. and forcing ourselves to be contractually committed to average players ( ala Jaylon, Lewis, Brown, Crawford) that hurt your defense…
instead of more to difference makers than they can help your defense.

- We needed to address the issue areas, and issue players in successfully replacing them as well as gaining players and coaches that will finally change the way we need to play Defense.

- Our defense has too long been a downhill defense, and goes as far as a high scoring offense goes or run game protects it.
If we have to go up against a team that is well balanced on both sides of the ball, and if our own offense stalls, do we have the type of Powerful defense that can hold their own and take over
even vs a usual high powered offense, until we can finally offensively punch a leaking crack in the water dam ?

- When it comes down to playing championship level Defense in the Playoffs, when all the season ending stakes are on the line, will we have that kind of stellar defense that will stand fast and hold up ?

- And thus far, there hasn’t been a true blue print.
We’ve gone thru DC’s with the likes of the Rob Ryan style, .. the Tampa 2 style… the Kiffins, the Marinelli’s , the Legion of Boom version style , ..the Kris Richards ,..
and unfortunately the very recent Mike Nolan regime, which was somehow even worst than the dreaded Monte Kiffin era.

- And for years we have gone thru too many DC’s and top asst. that have failed us, in one matter or another, in even giving us a chance to get to the NFC Conference Finals,
much less a Super Bowl appearance.
You can only protect a downhill, suspect defense for so long. .. Change how you play Defense – and Build that Defense for the long run.

o_O

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not gonna happen. That type, that style of offensive days are a thing of the past.
Especially when you’ve just committed a record breaking mega contract like the one Dak has just received, ..especially when you supplied this QB with a potentially dynamic trio of WRs per trade, two per 1st round pick investments by trade and by draft, and even more so another record breaking contract to the WR you also traded a No.1 pick for in Cooper.

- Cowboys have already invested way too much in their passing game to go back to a Zeke run dominant offense.

- And Instead of continuing to mask, and band aid our Defense .. and forcing ourselves to be contractually committed to average players ( ala Jaylon, Lewis, Brown, Crawford) that hurt your defense…
instead of more to difference makers than they can help your defense.

- We needed to address the issue areas, and issue players in successfully replacing them as well as gaining players and coaches that will finally change the way we need to play Defense.

- Our defense has too long been a downhill defense, and goes as far as a high scoring offense goes or run game protects it.
If we have to go up against a team that is well balanced on both sides of the ball, and if our own offense stalls, do we have the type of Powerful defense that can hold their own and take over
even vs a usual high powered offense, until we can finally offensively punch a leaking crack in the water dam ?

- When it comes down to playing championship level Defense in the Playoffs, when all the season ending stakes are on the line, will we have that kind of stellar defense that will stand fast and hold up ?

- And thus far, there hasn’t been a true blue print.
We’ve gone thru DC’s with the likes of the Rob Ryan style, .. the Tampa 2 style… the Kiffins, the Marinelli’s , the Legion of Boom version style , ..the Kris Richards ,..
and unfortunately the very recent Mike Nolan regime, which was somehow even worst than the dreaded Monte Kiffin era.

- And for years we have gone thru too many DC’s and top asst. that have failed us, in one matter or another, in even giving us a chance to get to the NFC Conference Finals,
much less a Super Bowl appearance.
You can only protect a downhill, suspect defense for so long. .. Change how you play Defense – and Build that Defense for the long run.

o_O

By The time we correct this defense and it's ready to not suck the offense will be in need of help. The fastest way to get the defense looking good is keeping them on the sidelines. And it's not lack of trying to a drgree, they just suck at drafting good defensive players.