Video: The Herd-Mike McCarthy does not need Dak Prescott

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And he is completely wrong. McCarthy isn't here for the money. Did Cowherd say McCarthy has a legacy? Really? How impressive is this legacy? Is it good enough for induction to the HOF?

That is what McCarthy us here for. In order to get the respect he feels he is missing, he needs at least another Super Bowl.... and for that, he needs Dak.
I don't agree with much of what Cowherd said either. Realistically Garrett no longer needed the money either. He made a nice chunk of change the last 10 years. And I doubt McCarthy considers his legacy complete. A Super Bowl win is a nice part of that, but he still has a lot of years he can coach and I'm sure he isn't just resting on past laurels. I doubt what Cowher is talking about is in McCarthy's mind at all.

But the headline is misleading and I feel people should understand the actual content instead of letting the headline do the talking.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stop with the obvious stuff.

The mere fact Dak had a must win against Philly and coughed the big hairball..

same result against NE..

games that would have silenced all of us who have deep doubts about Dak
Every QB loses in a "must win" game at times, otherwise they would all go on and win the Super Bowl every year. And, as always, it's not all on the QB as some ridiculously want to claim - but of course only when it fits a particular narrative.

Most fans know Dak isn't Mahomes or Rogers, but most aren't claiming he is. This whole thread is bogus though because what Cowherd said isn't accurately reflected in the headline, nor can we say either the headline or the content of Cowher's comments accurately reflect anything McCarthy is thinking himself.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Every QB loses in a "must win" game at times, otherwise they would all go on and win the Super Bowl every year. And, as always, it's not all on the QB as some ridiculously want to claim - but of course only when it fits a particular narrative.

Most fans know Dak isn't Mahomes or Rogers, but most aren't claiming he is. This whole thread is bogus though because what Cowherd said isn't accurately reflected in the headline, nor can we say either the headline or the content of Cowher's comments accurately reflect anything McCarthy is thinking himself.
Once interviews start as the season hopefully gets closer a lot of this speculation will be cleared up. Right now the media is throwing out stuff for clicks or what ever. We don’t know what MM thinks or Dak. I think some people are more worried than MM or Dak are. Dak will get his contract next year and all that will end. MM and Dak will do just fine together.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once interviews start as the season hopefully gets closer a lot of this speculation will be cleared up. Right now the media is throwing out stuff for clicks or what ever. We don’t know what MM thinks or Dak. I think some people are more worried than MM or Dak are. Dak will get his contract next year and all that will end. MM and Dak will do just fine together.
Agreed. I think there may be some chance they don't get a contract with Dak next year, but I think the better odds are they will. As for the Dak/McCarthy relationship, I think the soap opera some imagine is just that - imagined.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Stop with the obvious stuff.

The mere fact Dak had a must win against Philly and coughed the big hairball..

same result against NE..

games that would have silenced all of us who have deep doubts about Dak

Agreed

#DontpayDak

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The Cowboys should draft a QB in one of the top three rounds regardless.

I'm tired of these undrafted free agent warm bodies. I'm tired of these overpaid broken veteran free agents on one year farewell tour contracts. All they do with the Cowboys is grab some of Jerry's cash on their way out the door.

Tony Romo was a once in a lifetime story, right place, right time, right coach. In the history of the NFL, Parcells and Landry are the only two HC's that ever kept a QB through 2 entire seasons without them throwing a single pass. They were the only two to truly "develop" a QB considered to be a "project". Others tried but always succumbed to a poor QB situation during a regular season and threw their "project" out there too earfly. The QB failed, both the team and the QB lost confidence. The QB left.

Taking a QB with at least some NFL ready skills can do much more for a team. They can push the starter competitively, They provide a capable, moderately priced backup in case of injury. If he excels he has trade value as well as providing leverage during the starters contract negotiation. He may even replace the more expensive starter.

The Cowboys should get in the habit of drafting 1st or 2nd day QB's about every 2-3 years.

If defense needs have a higher grade 1st 4 rounds, I go defense.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Agreed. I think there may be some chance they don't get a contract with Dak next year, but I think the better odds are they will. As for the Dak/McCarthy relationship, I think the soap opera some imagine is just that - imagined.
When nothing else just look for drama to write about. Shock value gets clicks. Dak no longer wants to be with The Cowboys and MM hates him. Lol

MM already said he likes him and thinks they can win. Dak already said he is happy and proud to be A Cowboy still. Even posted a picture of him in A Cowboy hat. Lol.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dude is really grasping at straws...
Or, you guys are completely not understanding the thought process here.

People w/o the capability to analyze upper level thoughts should never listen to Cowherd.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
some of his quotes are a bit incorrect, broaddus didn't say those things, a former coach he asked responded to his questions with those remarks. most assume the former coach was a former dallas coach, but it was never stated, so it could have been a former girls middle school volleyball coach for all we know.
Good.

I have been wanting to ask a V-ball coach..

Are the rumors true that they are going to have Women's Australian Rules Nude Volleyball as an exhibition sport?

Is it on live or will it be tape replayed? Will I have to take into account the time difference and set my alarm clock to get up to see it at 4am?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
That's the thing...for me. Yep...we can put the total yards on parade. But...what moment.....does Dak put the WHOLE team on his shoulders and valiantly win the game. I know..a bad defense or special teams can ruin that right quick just ask Romo.

But there was never opportunities to do just that? If so....what are they? LEAD the team by sheer will with historic confidence and performance.

I'm not sure he HAS to do that for us to be successful....but I'm going to call it like it is.
I am a guy that needs to see somebody beat a team that they are supposed to beat and the other team needs to be rated better than us GOING into the game.

Dak needs a string of those in the same year. He had that in 2016.

Not since.

That's has to change immediately. He is going into his 5th yr now. Half his career is over. We did this already with Romo.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So McCarthy left Green Bay because of a tif between him and the star QB and you guys think the next gig he picks out of the multiple offers he had is to come here and face palm the owners about their QB....makes a lot of sense.

Again I hope this is Jerry saying "Mike lets see this thing work between you and Dak for a year" that is the best possible scenario as that means Jerry is going to start holding people accountable for winning...there is no scenario where Mike McCarthy told Jerry and Stephen " I don't wont Dak go get me Andy Dalton" and was hired....

BigD_95

Reaction score
Here..

I have suspected this for sometime.

The fact your new HC does not talk on the phone the week he was hired even to just say how's the weather?

You have to wonder how this relationship is going to work out.

I truly believe Dalton was brought in for MM to take a good look at and see if he feels he can win with him until another young drafted QB is ready.

I think Dallas didn't want to sign Dak long term unless it was a team friendly contract & that is why Dallas stuck to their guns. They are not sold on Dak for that kind of money.

MM will get a year with Dak & Dalton and can evaluate them both before the organization commits long term. Dallas can always cave to Dak's demands next off-season if MM feels he truly is the guy.

And lets not forget Rodgers will be a free agent in 2 years if not next season. You dont think MM wouldn't want him running his offense for 3 years with the talent he would have around him.

Im just not so sure the organization feels they even need Dak at this point.

tm1119

Reaction score
1 SB win in 13 years with arguably a top 5 most talented QB ever...CLEARLY this translates to being able to win with any QB.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I truly believe Dalton was brought in for MM to take a good look at and see if he feels he can win with him until another young drafted QB is ready.

I think Dallas didn't want to sign Dak long term unless it was a team friendly contract & that is why Dallas stuck to their guns. They are not sold on Dak for that kind of money.

MM will get a year with Dak & Dalton and can evaluate them both before the organization commits long term. Dallas can always cave to Dak's demands next off-season if MM feels he truly is the guy.

And lets not forget Rodgers will be a free agent in 2 years if not next season. You dont think MM wouldn't want him running his offense for 3 years with the talent he would have around him.

Im just not so sure the organization feels they even need Dak at this point.
The OP's take is not what Cowherd said. I suspect he read the headline but didn't listen to the content.

The reporting does not support the idea the team didn't want Dak under a long contract, or that they were unwilling to pay a big number. If they had been talking about something below $30 million/year the negotiation would never have continued as long as it did, and if they were talking about over $30 million/year they wouldn't have killed the deal over a few million dollars. Accordingly the reports that the roadblock was the Cowboys wanting a 5 year deal when Dak wanted a 4 year deal makes the most sense, plus it's logical to believe the uncertainty of the 2020 season happening at all and the possible loss of huge amounts of revenue might have affected the willingness of the Cowboys to compromise in the last few months.

Think realistically. Even if Dak had unexpectedly agreed to an ultra team friendly deal at $28 million dollars/year over 5 years, that would still be a major commitment by the team that would preclude them signing another QB to a big contract or using a 1st round draft pick on a QB, so why would they even do that kind of "team friendly" deal if they weren't sold on Dak?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The OP's take is not what Cowherd said. I suspect he read the headline but didn't listen to the content.

The reporting does not support the idea the team didn't want Dak under a long contract, or that they were unwilling to pay a big number. If they had been talking about something below $30 million/year the negotiation would never have continued as long as it did, and if they were talking about over $30 million/year they wouldn't have killed the deal over a few million dollars. Accordingly the reports that the roadblock was the Cowboys wanting a 5 year deal when Dak wanted a 4 year deal makes the most sense, plus it's logical to believe the uncertainty of the 2020 season happening at all and the possible loss of huge amounts of revenue might have affected the willingness of the Cowboys to compromise in the last few months.

Could you explain how the one year was the road block. It doesn't SEEM like a big deal just on the surface. 4 years is still a long time in NFL years.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could you explain how the one year was the road block. It doesn't SEEM like a big deal just on the surface. 4 years is still a long time in NFL years.
The conflict was said to be that Dak wanted to be able to negotiate a new deal after 4 years to take advantage of a much higher market for QB's at that time, and the team wanted 5 years so they would have more flexibility to spread the cap hit over a longer time period.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I would not be surprised at all to see Dallas take a QB early in the 2021 draft.
New blood, i like it. The purge started after Dak was the starter and he's one of the few remaining that's keeping this from being a successful full team transfusion.

BigD_95

Reaction score

Think realistically. Even if Dak had unexpectedly agreed to an ultra team friendly deal at $28 million dollars/year over 5 years, that would still be a major commitment by the team that would preclude them signing another QB to a big contract or using a 1st round draft pick on a QB, so why would they even do that kind of "team friendly" deal if they weren't sold on Dak?

Because the offer was never really something Dak would accept and they knew that.

They offered an guaranteed amount for 5 years that Wentz & Goff got for 4 years. No way Dak would agree to that. They also knew Dak wanted a 4 year deal.

So Dallas makes what seems to be a reasonable offer to save face with the public but knowing all well Dak would never take a guarantee for 5 years that Goff & Wentz got for 4 years.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because the offer was never really something Dak would accept and they knew that.

They offered an guaranteed amount for 5 years that Wentz & Goff got for 4 years. No way Dak would agree to that. They also knew Dak wanted a 4 year deal.

So Dallas makes what seems to be a reasonable offer to save face with the public but knowing all well Dak would never take a guarantee for 5 years that Goff & Wentz got for 4 years.
So they just screwed around all off season with this making offers they didn't plan to honor? That's not a reasonable conclusion. They couldn't know for sure Dak wouldn't back down as the deadline approached, and there is no way we can say the team wouldn't have compromised at the end had the season and accompanying revenue been assured.