Video: The Herd on Garrett

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No doubt, but the talent has been there to achieve more. That is in the coach's wheel-house. GMs can be huge issues no doubt, but it appears you are a pro-Garrett sort of guy.
The fact we have a more talented team is reason to support Garretts influence with our dysfunctional ownership despite his game day flaws.

We have been a talent dependent franchise in the post Jimmy and Puppet era. Whoever can influence this Mom and Pop operation in building the best team has been the best puppets the last couple decades.

ESisback

Reaction score

I agree that special teams and HC are our Achilles Heel, but I’d like hear Cowherd’s specific points of the HC deficiencies. Most fans here say his in game adjustments are the problem, but what does The Herd say?

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
source.gif

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
I’d rather do worse and acquire some high draft choices then stay mediocre with no chance.

If you are convinced Garett cannot win I see your point. I'm just not there.

I see us as a bad Deano Bladino call away from possibly a huge success.

Garett is an offensive mind. Our offense has always been good to great under him.

I'd rather bark up another tree. Yes that still falls under Garrett but there is a much easier immediate fix to our problem area. Don't want to jeopardize the talent we have assembled completly transitioning to something anew.

Anyway, like folks have already stated, this is off season talk not leading your division getting ready for playoffs talk.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
What’s a loser mentality is to continually talk about fire your head coach when your in first place in your division in the middle of the season.
You're leading the worst division in the NFL, at 6-4, havent beaten a team with a winning record all year, lost to an 0-4 mess of a team, and barely beat another mess of a team without their starting QB.
Congrats!
#winning

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Now thats a losers mentality if I ever heard one.

I'm afraid HR is going to be calling you soon.

Except he's right and it isn't a loser's mentality.

Do you think teams hire head coaches and think, 'Man, there are SO many better options available, but let's hire this guy and see what happens?' They don't. Top shelf coaches are at least as difficult to find as elite QBs.

Everyone was enamored with Sean McVay until they weren't. The wunderkind coach of the Rams now has his team at 6-4. His offense lacks explosion and they've beaten only 1 team with a winning record, and that was the Saints in Week 2 when Brees left the game with his injury. I have no doubt, though, that many on here would have an orgasm if Garrett was fired and McVay was brought onboard.

Or the other 'argument' I read here all the time: 'In N.E., they would/wouldn't (fill in the blank), so we need a coach like that.' Right....us and 30 other teams. There's exactly one Belichick and we aren't getting him.

'WE NEED TO HIRE LINCOLN RILEY!' Yeah, because decent college football coaches always make good NFL coaches. Steve Spurrier (imo a MUCH better coach than Riley), had exactly zero success in the NFL. Nick Saban, maybe the best coach in the history of college football, failed in the NFL as well.

The truth is this: Our coaching needs to improve. Garrett has had ample time to prove himself and in several seasons he did just that. Romo went down and we fielded a 13-3 team. If we're going to blame Garrett when we fail, we have to give him props when we don't. Still, he's either been too slow/stubborn to transition our offense to a more 'modern' passing-based attack...OR....our QB wasn't quite ready to take the reigns of that style of offense. What's clear now is that Dak can lead whatever type of offense a coach wants to implement (except the Ravens playbook), which leads to the question:

Will Garrett and company take advantage of a now very confident Dak Prescott and a group of receivers who can all ball out, or will he and/or his staff continue to be hard-headed?

This season is far from lost. We still have an opportunity to make some noise in the playoffs if we can get there. If we don't make the playoffs, Garrett has to go. I don't know how deep our playoff run needs to be to justify keeping him, as games are often decided by plays where the coach has done everything right but a team loses anyway. No doubt we have to get to the divisional round, but it's possible we run into a buzz saw there. If he makes the NFC title game, he's staying for sure (I think).

Okay, that was long. I need to go make a living now.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
We can do much worse as well looking around the NFL landscape. Much, much worse
Absolutley they could. Only this is 1/3 of the big three...being NY Yankees,LA Lakers and Dallas Cowboys. The expectations are much higher on the center stage. 2 decades not even divisional playoff win? Not acceptable by any means whatsoever,and is looked at by sports world as a dismal failure.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Garrett won’t get fired, his contract will just not be renewed...
That's worse for a HC. They both feel the same, except when you get fired you still get paid the rest of your contract allowing you time pick a good job. You don't get renewed, you tend to settle for the first paycheck. Of course, I'm sure Garrett isn't hurting for money and he will probably end up on TV.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could be horrible GM's or a combination as well. Clearly the grass is greener everywhere else tho.

You can't blame the GM. Look at the talent level relative to other teams. We have way more than most teams. #1 ranked offense. #2 ranked OL.......#7 ranked defense. Yet, we are 6-4 and have lost to all 3 playoff teams we have faced. The problem screams coaching.