Video: The Herd on Garrett

Doomsay

Reaction score
We can do much worse as well looking around the NFL landscape. Much, much worse
Not really, other coaches in the league are not considered family and are therefor would be subject to a modicum of performance standards, i.e. they could be fired after under performing. The stepson gets demoted, looses play-calling privileges, has channels removed from his comset and gets everyone else around him fired, yet carries on @ $6mm a season in perpetuity.

ksadler1

Reaction score
We can do much worse as well looking around the NFL landscape. Much, much worse

What's the difference? Is the goal to stay at 8-8 or above, win the division, make the playoffs and go one and done, or win the Superbowl?

The only thing Garrett's teams have done consistently is being inconsistent. How much worse is "worse" when it nets you the same end result anyway?

superonyx

Reaction score
Except he's right and it isn't a loser's mentality.

Do you think teams hire head coaches and think, 'Man, there are SO many better options available, but let's hire this guy and see what happens?' They don't. Top shelf coaches are at least as difficult to find as elite QBs.

Everyone was enamored with Sean McVay until they weren't. The wunderkind coach of the Rams now has his team at 6-4. His offense lacks explosion and they've beaten only 1 team with a winning record, and that was the Saints in Week 2 when Brees left the game with his injury. I have no doubt, though, that many on here would have an orgasm if Garrett was fired and McVay was brought onboard.

Or the other 'argument' I read here all the time: 'In N.E., they would/wouldn't (fill in the blank), so we need a coach like that.' Right....us and 30 other teams. There's exactly one Belichick and we aren't getting him.

'WE NEED TO HIRE LINCOLN RILEY!' Yeah, because decent college football coaches always make good NFL coaches. Steve Spurrier (imo a MUCH better coach than Riley), had exactly zero success in the NFL. Nick Saban, maybe the best coach in the history of college football, failed in the NFL as well.

The truth is this: Our coaching needs to improve. Garrett has had ample time to prove himself and in several seasons he did just that. Romo went down and we fielded a 13-3 team. If we're going to blame Garrett when we fail, we have to give him props when we don't. Still, he's either been too slow/stubborn to transition our offense to a more 'modern' passing-based attack...OR....our QB wasn't quite ready to take the reigns of that style of offense. What's clear now is that Dak can lead whatever type of offense a coach wants to implement (except the Ravens playbook), which leads to the question:

Will Garrett and company take advantage of a now very confident Dak Prescott and a group of receivers who can all ball out, or will he and/or his staff continue to be hard-headed?

This season is far from lost. We still have an opportunity to make some noise in the playoffs if we can get there. If we don't make the playoffs, Garrett has to go. I don't know how deep our playoff run needs to be to justify keeping him, as games are often decided by plays where the coach has done everything right but a team loses anyway. No doubt we have to get to the divisional round, but it's possible we run into a buzz saw there. If he makes the NFC title game, he's staying for sure (I think).

Okay, that was long. I need to go make a living now.
That was wordy but thats cool.
This isnt about the play calling or any of the X's and O's. Its about leadership and accountability. Its about demanding excellence. Many of JG failings could be related to Jerry Jones neutering any coach he has since Jerry is effectively coaching this team. We have an obvious organizational structure problem.

The rest of what you said about keeping JG because Nick Saban failed is a losers mentality no matter how you slice it.

This is the type of thinking that would have JG clapping for another 20 years with no real success. Let him waste Dak's career like he did Romo's.

It's not about who you replace him with at this point. Its just about replacing him and demanding excellence. Otherwise you are demanding mediocrity and thats what you will get.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowherd gets it years after we did here. On all things Cowboys.

Now he's trying to rewrite his position on Dak, calling him "improving", when he was a Wentz guy from day one. I'll remember it, even if he counts on people forgetting.

But he's not wrong at all on Garrett, just years behind the train.

cowboycannucka

Reaction score

This is JG's last year if this team doesn't get to the NFC championship game at the very least IMO. Does my opinion count for anything, nope, nada, insignificant.

Here it is though, the Cowboys from top to bottom are one of the most talented teams in the NFL, loaded on offense and defense with talented players at the key positions. More talent than the Patriots BUT the Pats are 9-1 because the players are prepared, they have amazing game plans that shift each week depending on the competition and they don't kill themselves with bad penalties or conservative play calling. They are a go for the jugular team with Bellichik at the helm and the Cowboys are ankle biters with JG at the helm.

We're gonna see first hand just how much difference coaching makes. Better still, JJ is gonna see first hand the difference coaching makes. We have the talent to win this game but we will be out coached, out schemed and in the end, outscored. That's my prediction. Watch James White go off with screen plays against a defense that is horrible defensing screen plays. watch Brady to Edelman click time after time. We know it's coming, the coaches know it's coming but for some unfathomable reason we won't have answer.

To make it worse, my sister and her husband are huge Patriot fans and are so smug but they have good reason for their smugness.

Signed…. smug wannabe :)

ksadler1

Reaction score
Of course but is Jerry willing to bring in someone who is capable of doing better?

Not everyone wants to discuss this dilemma of how we arrive at all of these Puppets.

The big question is, is Jerry willing to step aside and quit meddling? I think we all know the answer to that, especially after watching his post game interview after the Minnesota loss. He has absolutely no business doing that. Makes me sick...

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Cowherd gets it years after we did here. On all things Cowboys.

Now he's trying to rewrite his position on Dak, calling him "improving", when he was a Wentz guy from day one. I'll remember it, even if he counts on people forgetting.

But he's not wrong at all on Garrett, just years behind the train.
He used to be a Garrett homer.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Jerry has already agreed with ya'll. He stated his high expectations with this amount of talent and I assume that is why he hasn't provided another contract. I do believe he stated something about the NFC Championship game correct?

So sit back enjoy the season and see how it plays out. Sounds like a win/win situation for ya'll.

Improve or you're gone. A mid-season coaching change, just can't envision that happening. Our defense performing like last season and we are probably undefeated at this point.

A win Sunday I'll bet some different songs are sung.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If you are convinced Garett cannot win I see your point. I'm just not there.

I see us as a bad Deano Bladino call away from possibly a huge success.

Garett is an offensive mind. Our offense has always been good to great under him.

I'd rather bark up another tree. Yes that still falls under Garrett but there is a much easier immediate fix to our problem area. Don't want to jeopardize the talent we have assembled completly transitioning to something anew.

Anyway, like folks have already stated, this is off season talk not leading your division getting ready for playoffs talk.

How are you not there?

10+ years and he's wasted the Romo Cowboys and now he's ruined a good part of Zekes short career.

Colin put it perfect. We are the Golden State Warriors with Mark Jackson coaching the team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry has already agreed with ya'll. He stated his high expectations with this amount of talent and I assume that is why he hasn't provided another contract. I do believe he stated something about the NFC Championship game correct?

So sit back enjoy the season and see how it plays out. Sounds like a win/win situation for ya'll.

Improve or you're gone. A mid-season coaching change, just can't envision that happening. Our defense performing like last season and we are probably undefeated at this point.

A win Sunday I'll bet some different songs are sung.

I think that an absolutely fair interpretation.

That's certainly the way I'm seeing it.

The Cowboys win on the field? We all win, including Garrett, who will have earned an extension.

If they don't win on the field? Garrett is finally gone and we get a new head coach to hopefully shepherd this talented roster than Garrett ever could.

Either way, we win.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
“I have trash collecting in my house but not gonna throw it out because more trash might come”

LOL, yeah that makes total sense

You just don't stick with a coach in the NFL for 10+ years unless they are NFL royalty.

Even Superbowl coaches get fired after a couple of bad seasons after their championship.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I see us as a bad Deano Bladino call away from possibly a huge success.
Even in this game, Garrett makes a huge mistake. We had a 7 point lead with the ball driving down the field at the end of the half. On 2nd down, Witten comes up 1 yard short but the refs give an extremely favorable spot and call a first down. This was right in front of Garrett and Witten was blatantly short of the first down. Instead of instructing Romo to hurry the team up to the line to take advantage of the favorable spot or force the officials to call a timeout to review the call, Garrett rushes onto to the field to use a Cowboys timeout. During the timeout the call was reversed making it 3rd and and 1. Romo then fumbled the snap, Bailey missed the FG, the defense gives up a big play allowing GB to kick a FG. Instead of going into the half up 17-7 or 21-7, we are only up 14-10.

This is what you get with a Jason Garrett coached team way too often. He is not going to give you an advantage on the sidelines. At best you hope he is not a liability.