Video: The Herd on Garrett

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
We can do much worse as well looking around the NFL landscape. Much, much worse
No, we can’t. With Jerry mediocrity is worse than bad. Year after year Jerry sticks with Garrett’s mediocrity because he gives Jerry a show, but never does anything in the playoffs, that is when he makes the playoffs. I personally am sick of Garrett and Ground Hog Day every year!!!

408Cowboy

Reaction score
You spoke on something that's been rattling around my head for a minute now. I'm sure by now you are familiar with the news regarding a meeting Garrett had with the team this past week leading up to the Lions. I think the topic likely might have been the overall direction of the offense and the resulting poor communication. My guess is he is becoming even more hands-off in the maturation process of Moore.

Coming into this season, I thought it was a shame Moore's maiden-voyage would be at a time where I thought the talent was the best it's been in years. And now with the way the mercenaries Cobb, Bennett and Quinn are playing, you have to hope this team is about to get hot at just the right time because I don't think we can extend all of them into 2020.

In another thread I just submitted, I pointed out I believe the Cowboys will "mollywhop" the Patriots. I said it there and I'll say it here, that doesn't mean I think they are about to go on a run, but it could be the nudge in confidence they need to do exactly that.

But coming back to the point: I think the big determination from the notorious meeting was that it was time to stop relying so much on Zeke and just simply start taking whatever the defense gives and do so aggressively.

There have been many plays that have been dissected over the last several days in the Lions game. Dak was electric, as was much of his supporting cast. But the play that stood out the most to me was the 2-point conversion call that I think put Zeke on the sideline.

Imagine you're the defense and you see Pollard back there. You're thinking misdirection, option-toss, rpo of some sort...but you are not thinking run between the tackles. And then that's exactly what the Cowboys did.

It was aggressive. It was creative. It was smart. And the personnel grouping could have not been better for what they really wanted to do.

Had Zeke been in there, that 2-point conversion likely does not happen.

So if you are looking for the needle-in-the-haystack indication that good things are coming, that might just be it.
You think the meeting was about changing the offense? Here I was thinking it was damage control after the whole miscommunication with Austin fiasco.

cern

Reaction score
You think the meeting was about changing the offense? Here I was thinking it was damage control after the whole miscommunication with Austin fiasco.
your perception of events is outstanding. damage control all the way. the next order would have been all hands abandon ship.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
It's the defense coordinators...if you fire everyone...it's a mistake. You don't fire the guy running the number one offense.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
This is the problem: If the Cowboys win the Superbowl, Jerry did it his way. If Garrett is not extended because the Cowboys once again under-achieved, Jerry has a big problem on his hands. If he hires another coach, whoever that might be, and THEN the Cowboys win the Superbowl, it will be the new coach that made the difference not the GM. Jerry told us years ago that 500 coaches could win the Superbowl with the team that he (GM/Owner) put together. Jerry's most important concern is not winning the Superbowl, it is CREDIT for winning the Superbowl.
Moose Johnston once said that the last Cowboys Superbowl win was despite Barry Switzer not because of him. Jerry would rather these players won despite Garrett rather than win with a new coach. That way he can take CREDIT by saying, "I was right to keep Garrett. This win is because I am a great 'football man' and GM."

CB61

Reaction score

You have to be a motivator during the game 2 not just stand on the sidelines and clap and look like a statue and get mad at an a official and throw the flag at his feet every once in awhile no emotion whatsoever during the game if you watch Belichick he kind of takes notes he pays attention and defense is his specialty when they screw up he's over there talking to them personally not slapping them on the *** if they come off the field

CB61

Reaction score

The defensive scheme has to stop they have to change that I don't know how hard that would be it doesn't seem like it would be that hard because they're all charging at a gap And over running plays now the old saying goes It's better to be proactive instead of reactive well I think that this needs to be the reverse of that with the Cowboys they need to be a little bit more reactive than proactive they are to proactive and all the offense does is wait for them to commit and by that time it's all over the big plays happen well not all big plays but enough to take opposing offenses right down the field and be able to score and it also wears them out faster

CB61

Reaction score
The defensive scheme has to stop they have to change that I don't know how hard that would be it doesn't seem like it would be that hard because they're all charging at a gap And over running plays now the old saying goes It's better to be proactive instead of reactive well I think that this needs to be the reverse of that with the Cowboys they need to be a little bit more reactive than proactive they are to proactive and all the offense does is wait for them to commit and by that time it's all over the big plays happen well not all big plays but enough to take opposing offenses right down the field and be able to score and it also wears them out faster
And that if anybody doesn't think that the Patriots won't exploit this you're living in a cave just like Minnesota said we're not going to let Elliott beat us they told us that a week before the game and they still call the play to him at the end of the game where we could have tied it or won the game?

cern

Reaction score
I believe Jerry is at a point in his life where he just wants another chance at the big dance.

Flamma

Reaction score
It is Garrett. We've seen it too many times already. He's had two good seasons since he's coached the Cowboys. Last year's 10-6 season ended in disaster. Dallas couldn't put pressure on a QB known to struggle under pressure because Dallas couldn't stop the run. They let Goff off the hook. This season too. It's the same lackluster Cowboys week in and week out. They just don't play with the intensity level seen by championship teams. And when they do it's short lived and doesn't carry over. Keeping Garrett is maintaining the same pattern. Yes we can get worse than Garrett. But who wants to stay this course for that reason? Don't we want better?