The Holdout, Blessing in Disguise?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Let's hope not. Actually I think Elliott was a horrible Playbook in itself. I keep saying they did not want to overexpose the youngest starting defense in the league. So let's run the ball keep the defense off the field. Come on we really can't be that freaking stale on offense can we
JG playbook is from the 90’s and predictable. Lots of teams run the same type of plays but they are dressed up differently.. I am guessing Moore is attempting to do just that. And JJ wants it done. He is telling Moore that if JG is getting in the way then come tell him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...its always about perspective. We are looking at the tree from different points of view. Some see it, as we cant do it without Zeke. Thats valid, given what he has done in the past. His skills and numbers are great, but that's quick info bias or the contrast effect. Break it down again. We were 3-5 with Zeke before Cooper, 7-1 after. As good as he is, football is a team sport. We need the right pieces in right places. And they don't have to be marble. Ask, Bellichick.

>>>>>Then there are those who proclaim let show go on without him. *might not have a choice*. This is water we haven't traversed yet. How does the horizon look? We should have healthy OL. We get Cooper for the whole year. Cobb traded places with Bease. Dak surely made incremental tweaks to his game. Most importantly we have this young kid, calling the plays. How cool is that? Make em' or break em', right?

I said tank it, when we got to 3-5 last year. ......Then the fun started.
LMAO, I wasn't thinking tank, I was thinking how in the hell are they going to avoid 5-11 or 6-10? I was all ready for draft talk 2019.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll tell you one guy that this could be a blessing for, Kellen the Young, if he makes this work. Can you imagine the buzz on this guy as a first time OC without his best skill player? The NFL is primed for another McVay and he could be the guy. AZ hiring Kingsbury showed us anything can happen in the NFL.

And if the D shows up and Richard gets some love, he could be on the way out and up as well.

The Cowboys could be looking at firing Garrett in order to keep one of their young coaches as the HC. But they miss out on both and promote Marinelli to HC. He repeats his stellar HC record and they get the #1 pick and score Lawrence. And here I was thinking they wouldn't have a shot at Lawrence.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'll tell you one guy that this could be a blessing for, Kellen the Young, if he makes this work. Can you imagine the buzz on this guy as a first time OC without his best skill player? The NFL is primed for another McVay and he could be the guy. AZ hiring Kingsbury showed us anything can happen in the NFL.

And if the D shows up and Richard gets some love, he could be on the way out and up as well.

The Cowboys could be looking at firing Garrett in order to keep one of their young coaches as the HC. But they miss out on both and promote Marinelli to HC. He repeats his stellar HC record and they get the #1 pick and score Lawrence. And here I was thinking they wouldn't have a shot at Lawrence.
Richard would be up for HC and Moore would likey stay as OC. Or maybe Marinelli only works with D-Line and Richard tales over as official DC and JG could squeeze out another year. Or he goes to the FO.

slick325

Reaction score
Good post Couch Coach but...I want Elliott back. This could be the best team they have had in some time due to depth BUT that includes him being a part of it.

So...I want them to show me how good they are with their All-Pro RB.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Richard would be up for HC and Moore would likey stay as OC. Or maybe Marinelli only works with D-Line and Richard tales over as official DC and JG could squeeze out another year. Or he goes to the FO.
Why would Moore stay if he's on the HC radar? Experience was a prerequisite of the old NFL, a coach had to earn his way up. McVay changed the thinking and it's not like Moore's attributes haven't been presold.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Why would Moore stay if he's on the HC radar? Experience was a prerequisite of the old NFL, a coach had to earn his way up. McVay changed the thinking and it's not like Moore's attributes haven't been presold.
Not so sure after 1 year he will be poached. Well maybe JJ gives him the HC job who knows. If Moore does a good job then JJ will pay him to hang around. Coaches pay don’t count towards the cap.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Kliff Kingsbury can get a head coaching job in this league, anyone can. And I’m actually a Tech fan who loves old Kliff. He’s a great OC but he’s not HC material in my opinion. The NFL goes through these “fads” all the time. It’s a copy cat league. Experience used to a prerequisite. According to these boards, Tony Romo is already capable of being a great OC or even HC based on his ability to explain a play in pre-snap time.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Kliff Kingsbury can get a head coaching job in this league, anyone can. And I’m actually a Tech fan who loves old Kliff. He’s a great OC but he’s not HC material in my opinion. The NFL goes through these “fads” all the time. It’s a copy cat league. Experience used to a prerequisite. According to these boards, Tony Romo is already capable of being a great OC or even HC based on his ability to explain a play in pre-snap time.
And they change 6-9 of these guys out every offseason and the money is already allocated for a HC, so what if he doesn't work out. It's not like any owner is going to lose money because of his HC.

I can guarantee you all of these businessmen that operate other businesses outside the NFL would not be so carefree when hiring someone to run that business because they aren't guaranteed success with those. Hell, I think they hire most of these guys knowing they'll fire them before the contract is up.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not so sure after 1 year he will be poached. Well maybe JJ gives him the HC job who knows. If Moore does a good job then JJ will pay him to hang around. Coaches pay don’t count towards the cap.
Wouldn't surprise me if he shows anything. The key will be the improvement of the QB, that's the ticket to stardom in the NFL.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I agree, but a QB is not an OC or HC , the whole team doesn't depend on him… and the outcome of the offense doesn't either .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How's this for a scenario? Moore does well with noticeable improvement of the QB and lands as the HC of the Giants or Skins and takes Kitna as his OC. He doesn't owe the Cowboys anything and the guy that was in his corner was fired.

And Quinn gets his ticket punched in ATL and Richard follows his old DC as HC.

I know, I am reeeeeaaaaalllly early on this coaching changes stuff but I am bored and not out of words yet.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have said it before, if Dak is worth 30+ mil a year, then you shouldn't NEED a RB like Zeke to make it work. IF the O can't work with Zeke, then you shouldn't pay Dak 30+ a year, he would not be worth it. I am not a huge fan of Prescott's, he has to many flaws in his game at this point, so I wouldn't pay him 30 mill a year anyway but if I had to choose between the 2, I take Dak all day, every day. An average QB in the NFL is more valuable than the best RB and when you throw in the headache caused by the RB, it really becomes an easy decision.

:hammer: AMEN BROTHER!!!!

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
How's this for a scenario? Moore does well with noticeable improvement of the QB and lands as the HC of the Giants or Skins and takes Kitna as his OC. He doesn't owe the Cowboys anything and the guy that was in his corner was fired.

I know, I am reeeeeaaaaalllly early on this coaching changes stuff but I am bored and not out of words yet.

I love it ! Moore as giants or skins HC ?! sweet lord !

But let richard HC here .

mrmojo

Reaction score
Without Zeke we will find out real quickly if the QB is worth over $30 million a year.

glimmerman

Reaction score

We get a whole new staff and they change everything. And we start over and trade everyone.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We already know what Dak is without the Elite support. And Jerry doesn’t want his star pupil exposed for all to see.

He’s already seen enough. And why he dashed out of his skybox not to just save the season but his QB’s career.

Jerry’s not about to let this prove him wrong about his QB. And why should he? Just to save a buck. What then??

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Naaaa. Jerry’s happy with what he has. Another version of the Triplets he can sell like no other. And he can piece together the rest getting cheap where he can even if it means sacrificing the defense.

He’s not giving up on his two sensational Rookies. It’s not just about winning football. It’s always more than that to Jerry. It’s about his pride of letting Romo go for what they believed was their savior to another Super Bowl. And Elliott is a key support piece.

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
Agree 1000%. I really hope that the holdout lasts into the regular season, because no one is going to believe it until they see it in a real game. But when you pay 46.3M in salary for your offensive line, 23.5% of your salary cap, then you shouldn't have to pay a running back $15M per year. That $15M per year is going to be needed to lock up Jaylon Smith, Byron Jones and Maliek Collins.
True, you don’t have to have a 15 million dollar RB whith a top oline, but there is nothing saying that doubling down with a great oline and a great RB is a bad thing . Emmitt and The Great Wall of Dallas certainly complimented each other well and they were quite successful.