The Impossible (but Only) Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

jday

Reaction score
The nation is in an uproar. For the most part, I’ve remained pseudo-neutral on the topic of debate. While admittedly, I haven’t exactly remained quiet on the issue, I also haven’t picked up the torch for either side. Recently, I pointed out the faults in both sides of the argument (e.g. the players actions only mean something to the wrong audience and the wrong audience response to it is a waste of energy and time for something that in no way tangibly effects them), however, what I did not do is present a solution because I believe the solution is largely out of reach for our collective nation.

Then the unthinkable happened. The players protest affected me in a tangible way (not that it is necessarily their fault). I texted my parents this morning in hopes of catching the next noon game with them as a family only to find out my father is boycotting the NFL in response to the protest. For some, that may mean nothing, but for me our family watching football together was one of the most important past times that shaped my young life. It was one of those times where regardless of our differences, we came together as a family to enjoy the game and by extension each other’s company. And now in my adulthood with a family of my own (wife and two boys), it is one of the few times we can find a pretext to get together and rekindle our familial-bond. Granted, we don’t need a game to accomplish that, but it’s the vehicle to that experience we know and love together.

In a last ditch effort (however feeble or effective) to maintain my grip on that favorite pastime of my family, here’s the Nation’s much-needed solution:

The solution is simple in the telling, but (I believe) impossible in the execution.

Let’s start with the “Why.”

Imagine your mind is a bottomless pond fed by five tributaries. Each river represent a sense (Sight, Hearing, Taste, Touch, & Smell). When you are young, all manner of God’s creatures are represented with one exception: Predators. As you grow and are introduced to various forms of expression with various intent, the opportunity for predators to be introduced to this pond increase exponentially.

The issue is when you introduce a predator (which represent the negative in this world) is the eventual and subsequent result of these predators eating all of the herbivores (which represent the good in this world). This means, of course, the earlier a predator is introduced to a child’s development, the more dangerous that person’s pond (mind) can become to not just the bearer of that mind but to everyone that mind comes in contact with.

As we grow older, experiences allow for various filters (or damns) to be put in place that either weed out the predators or the herbivores, dependent on the nature of those experiences. This is a paramount understanding to the issues that oppresses everyone (and, yes, I mean everyone, regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, or creed) in America today.

The root cause of these issues?

The freedoms we should not enjoy. To fix the problem (and why I believe it is impossible) we must fix the constitution. That’s right, no more freedom of speech. No more freedom of expression. No more saying whatever we want however we want whenever we want.

Why?

If not for our sake, our future sake…our children’s sake who lack the fundamental ability to discern the good from the bad. These sensory injections shape our children’s perspective on the world that surrounds them; how they view the world and how they act as a result.

Now for the (Impossible) “How.”

We need to delete from our collective conscious, our hard drives, our smart phones, our clouds, our internet every cd/movie/other form of entertainment any and all music, TV shows, video games, movies (or other form of political or artistic expression) that make disparaging remarks about race, sexual preference, political affiliation, creed, sex, and the police/government. That’s right, no more NWA, no more Beastie Boys, no more Eminem, no more celebration of drug use, a life of crime, murder, rape, or any other negative unproductive use of our time regardless of their stated intent. If it can be misperceived as a celebration of that life, even in the form of ones testimony as to why they turned away from it, it should be deleted (ideally worldwide, but nationwide would be a beautiful beginning). Obviously, this would also mean a nationwide ban on the production of such forms of entertainment/expression/political views going forward.

Now I get it. This is not a popular (and most likely impossible) solution. But considering the “Why” I already covered, it is the only solution, regardless if you accept that as truth or not. Whether or not you believe in God or the bible (Philippians 4:8 / Ephesians 4:17-19), science itself backs my assertions. The unconscious mind believes everything it hears, says, feels, taste, and smells. The unconscious mind lacks the discernment to decide between what is a truth and what is a lie; what is good for us and what is bad for us. So everything you feed your mind has an impact on how you perceive and view the world. It shapes your perspective and how you act accordingly. And this, of course, is especially the case for our children who lacks the experience (damns) to filter out predators that can otherwise pollute their young minds.

People are often under the mistaken impression that we can only eat things that are bad for us. The truth is, everything we consume (with every sense we experience the world through) can have a positive or negative impact on both our physical and spiritual body.

The ugly truth is it’s too late for many of us; the proverbial die has been cast as far as how we adults see and perceive the world. But it’s not too late for our future generations. Every day that these various negative forms of expression exist in our world, another child is exposed to the potential of becoming a racist, a bigot, a rapist, a criminal, or perhaps the worst thing they could possibly become: a hero in the eyes of the world who champions these various negative expressions (singer with a negative outlook/rapper who celebrates crime, drug use, hate towards the different or police themselves/bigot politician that would speak against a race, sex, religious belief/athlete whose negative actions off the field of play are shouted from the rooftops/police officer who racially profiles and has an automated fear-response to seeing a person of different race and acts with overt or passive aggression as a result).

As has been stated by many, what these protest and boycotts lack is an offered and acceptable solution. Like it or not, above is your only solution. Whether or not our nation applies it (which I doubt) is beside the point. Because if we can all at least recognize that the above is the only solution, maybe (just maybe) we can collectively (at least) agree that we American’s still have it pretty good as compared to most of the world, agree that we aren’t perfect but thank God we aren’t who we were as a country in yesteryears, and maybe we can just agree to disagree and get back to watching and enjoying football as one big national family.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I'm the league, I have the teams stay in the lorckerrooms for the anthem the rest of the season, and I have a moment of silence before each game prior to the anthem where everyone can focus on whatever generic message of unity each stadium wants to offer up for the next 3-4 weeks until the controversy boils over and we can get back to football. Teams can and should support players with the social issues involved elsewhere, outside of game day.

And then let's get on with it.

Ghost12

Reaction score
If I'm the league, I have the teams stay in the lorckerrooms for the anthem the rest of the season, and I have a moment of silence before each game prior to the anthem where everyone can focus on whatever generic message of unity each stadium wants to offer up for the next 3-4 weeks until the controversy boils over and we can get back to football. Teams can and should support players with the social issues involved elsewhere, outside of game day.
I think this is a very good idea. Maybe even move the anthem up 15 minutes or so. They didn't always have the players on the field and the oversized flags, but the NFL wanted to show off "look how patriotic we all are!!" for good publicity only now it is backfiring.

As I mentioned in another thread, I expect this issue will be solved in the next CBA but in the meantime, drawing less attention to the whole darn thing is a good idea.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The nation is in an uproar. For the most part, I’ve remained pseudo-neutral on the topic of debate. While admittedly, I haven’t exactly remained quiet on the issue, I also haven’t picked up the torch for either side. Recently, I pointed out the faults in both sides of the argument (e.g. the players actions only mean something to the wrong audience and the wrong audience response to it is a waste of energy and time for something that in no way tangibly effects them), however, what I did not do is present a solution because I believe the solution is largely out of reach for our collective nation.

Then the unthinkable happened. The players protest affected me in a tangible way (not that it is necessarily their fault). I texted my parents this morning in hopes of catching the next noon game with them as a family only to find out my father is boycotting the NFL in response to the protest. For some, that may mean nothing, but for me our family watching football together was one of the most important past times that shaped my young life. It was one of those times where regardless of our differences, we came together as a family to enjoy the game and by extension each other’s company. And now in my adulthood with a family of my own (wife and two boys), it is one of the few times we can find a pretext to get together and rekindle our familial-bond. Granted, we don’t need a game to accomplish that, but it’s the vehicle to that experience we know and love together.

In a last ditch effort (however feeble or effective) to maintain my grip on that favorite pastime of my family, here’s the Nation’s much-needed solution:

The solution is simple in the telling, but (I believe) impossible in the execution.

Imagine your mind is a bottomless pond fed by five tributaries. Each river represent a sense (Sight, Hearing, Taste, Touch, & Smell). When you are young, all manner of God’s creatures are represented with one exception: Predators. As you grow and are introduced to various forms of expression with various intent, the opportunity for predators to be introduced to this pond increase exponentially.

The issue is when you introduce a predator (which represent the negative in this world) is the eventual and subsequent result of these predators eating all of the herbivores (which represent the good in this world). This means, of course, the earlier a predator is introduced to a child’s development, the more dangerous that person’s pond (mind) can become to not just the bearer of that mind but to everyone that mind comes in contact with.

As we grow older, experiences allow for various filters (or damns) to be put in place that either weed out the predators or the herbivores, dependent on the nature of those experiences. This is a paramount understanding to the issues that oppresses everyone (and, yes, I mean everyone, regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, or creed) in America today.

The freedoms we should not enjoy. To fix the problem (and why I believe it is impossible) we must fix the constitution. That’s right, no more freedom of speech. No more freedom of expression. No more saying whatever we want however we want whenever we want.

Why?

If not for our sake, our future sake…our children’s sake who lack the fundamental ability to discern the good from the bad. These sensory injections shape our children’s perspective on the world that surrounds them; how they view the world and how they act as a result.

We need to delete from our collective conscious, our hard drives, our smart phones, our clouds, our internet every cd/movie/other form of entertainment any and all music, TV shows, video games, movies (or other form of political or artistic expression) that make disparaging remarks about race, sexual preference, political affiliation, creed, sex, and the police/government. That’s right, no more NWA, no more Beastie Boys, no more Eminem, no more celebration of drug use, a life of crime, murder, rape, or any other negative unproductive use of our time regardless of their stated intent. If it can be misperceived as a celebration of that life, even in the form of ones testimony as to why they turned away from it, it should be deleted (ideally worldwide, but nationwide would be a beautiful beginning). Obviously, this would also mean a nationwide ban on the production of such forms of entertainment/expression/political views going forward.

Now I get it. This is not a popular (and most likely impossible) solution. But considering the “Why” I already covered, it is the only solution, regardless if you accept that as truth or not. Whether or not you believe in God or the bible (Philippians 4:8 / Ephesians 4:17-19), science itself backs my assertions. The unconscious mind believes everything it hears, says, feels, taste, and smells. The unconscious mind lacks the discernment to decide between what is a truth and what is a lie; what is good for us and what is bad for us. So everything you feed your mind has an impact on how you perceive and view the world. It shapes your perspective and how you act accordingly. And this, of course, is especially the case for our children who lacks the experience (damns) to filter out predators that can otherwise pollute their young minds.

People are often under the mistaken impression that we can only eat things that are bad for us. The truth is, everything we consume (with every sense we experience the world through) can have a positive or negative impact on both our physical and spiritual body.

The ugly truth is it’s too late for many of us; the proverbial die has been cast as far as how we adults see and perceive the world. But it’s not too late for our future generations. Every day that these various negative forms of expression exist in our world, another child is exposed to the potential of becoming a racist, a bigot, a rapist, a criminal, or perhaps the worst thing they could possibly become: a hero in the eyes of the world who champions these various negative expressions (singer with a negative outlook/rapper who celebrates crime, drug use, hate towards the different or police themselves/bigot politician that would speak against a race, sex, religious belief/athlete whose negative actions off the field of play are shouted from the rooftops/police officer who racially profiles and has an automated fear-response to seeing a person of different race and acts with overt or passive aggression as a result).

As has been stated by many, what these protest and boycotts lack is an offered and acceptable solution. Like it or not, above is your only solution. Whether or not our nation applies it (which I doubt) is beside the point. Because if we can all at least recognize that the above is the only solution, maybe (just maybe) we can collectively (at least) agree that we American’s still have it pretty good as compared to most of the world, agree that we aren’t perfect but thank God we aren’t who we were as a country in yesteryears, and maybe we can just agree to disagree and get back to watching and enjoying football as one big national family.
:) Thank you... I needed that.

jday

Reaction score

And then let's get on with it.
That might fix the football issue, but it would do little for the cause that each side is protesting. That said, I agree. Football should simply stop televising it and the media should drop the issue.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What do some of you think about this photo? A guy kneeling at the Tomb of Unknown Soldier. That is completely unacceptable and actions like that are going to derail any good that can come of this whole situation.

Screen-Shot-2017-09-28-at-10.03.47-AM.jpg

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
What do some of you think about this photo? A guy kneeling at the Tomb of Unknown Soldier. That is completely unacceptable and actions like that are going to derail any good that can come of this whole situation.

I've seen this photo but I have no idea why he's kneeling. It's only one person. For all I know, he is kneeling to steady his hands while he snaps a photo.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That might fix the football issue, but it would do little for the cause that each side is protesting. That said, I agree. Football should simply stop televising it and the media should drop the issue.

I only care about the football.

I mean, I care about the causes, but not so much on Sunday afternoons between 10A and 4P.

jday

Reaction score
I only care about the football.

I mean, I care about the causes, but not so much on Sunday afternoons between 10A and 4P.
I completely understand. But for me, there's a family undercurrent that drives my football passion. I'll continue to watch regardless because it's a big part of me, but it won't be the same without being able to talk football with my father.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think this is a very good idea. Maybe even move the anthem up 15 minutes or so. They didn't always have the players on the field and the oversized flags, but the NFL wanted to show off "look how patriotic we all are!!" for good publicity only now it is backfiring.

As I mentioned in another thread, I expect this issue will be solved in the next CBA but in the meantime, drawing less attention to the whole darn thing is a good idea.

While I preferred the Steelers way of doing things, I've come to the realization that it ticked off their fanbase like no other fanbase. Watch YouTube videos and it's mostly Steelers fans, out of all 32 teams who are disowning their team and the NFL.

Where I started to find fault with the Steelers protest was that it was clear to me that they were pressuring players to do so. Even Villeneuva who said he wish he would have been out there with his teammates later talked about how apprehensive he was and it was clearly due to peer pressure from teammates. Roethlisberger has now seen the light and regrets not being on the field.

I believe the end game will be that they get rid of the anthem all together. I hope not, but I see that as what will happen.

YR

superonyx

Reaction score

Screen-Shot-2017-09-28-at-10.03.47-AM.jpg
Do they play the national anthem at the tomb of the unknown soldier now?
What do I think? I think its a picture of a kid or young man who doesn't realize he is doing something that may be considered offensive to some. I think he is fellow American who most likely is a good person with a good heart and the fact that he even went to visit the tomb shows me that he is interesting in learning about our country.
I think its unfortunate that a racist person took a picture and posted it to get people fired up and casting dispersions on a person they have never met.

Now what do you think when you see it?
You think its some young black punk who is trying to disrespect the county somehow (based on your comments).

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't think bringing these protest to the field will do anything but divide people even more. All players get a day off, use that day off to hold protest rallies in each of the cities. Right now as I mentioned in another thread if this is about social justice and Unity well it is not getting accomplished it is only pissing half the fan bases off. It serves no purpose in accomplishing their goals.

superonyx

Reaction score

Why?

My idea is that we should listen to the feelings of fellow Americans and consider their views, life experiences, and feelings. I believe in the end we are better for this. I believe closing our mind to the pain of others does nothing to make us stronger as a country. We are uncomfortable with others perspectives and many of us would rather shut our eyes and ears instead of showing human empathy and decency. We should stop trying to interpret someone elses intent and for once talk about it..

This boycott and shutting ourselves away from things we are not comfortable with is troubling to me. Our current president (regardless of your political party) is not setting the right example for our children. He should be teaching to communicate with each other in times of differences and conflict. Instead he is handling the NFL situation like he is handling North Korea. Instead of trying to talk like a tough guy how about sitting down and talking about issues and differences. Both situations have the ability to blow up in his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.