The iPhone

kapolani

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2892024 said:
That would almost double our bill per month. Wow

Like I said. It's relative.

Someone might think it's ridiculous to spend that kind of money on a phone let alone two of them.

But, I'm an engineer/gadget/tech guy and for me it's a no brainer.

I do everything from my phone.

Pay bills. All work email for the most part. Watch tv. Surf the internet. Play games.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2892038 said:
I doubt that. No one wants to talk to me. :eek::
Anytime I'm sitting somewhere waiting, I pull up and surf CowboysZone. Always someone willing to talk football here.

kapolani

Reaction score
theogt;2892079 said:
Anytime I'm sitting somewhere waiting, I pull up and surf CowboysZone. Always someone willing to talk football here.

That's funny.

I do the same thing.

I even thought about coding up a mobile version of CZ if I ever had the free time.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2892038 said:
I doubt that. No one wants to talk to me. :eek::

I would talk to you. Heyyyyyyy holler back.

karl_cooper_fairy_470_470x352.jpg

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Never owned a cell phone. Let's see how long the streak continues.

kapolani

Reaction score
bbgun;2892105 said:
Never owned a cell phone. Let's see how long the streak continues.

Once you get one with the capabilities of the iPhone you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

A few weekends ago my wife and I went up to Baltimore to go check the area out. Had no clue where we were. We got hungry so I pulled out the iPhone - brought up Google maps and typed in 'chinese food.' Instantly restaurants started popping up. Noticed PF Changs was in the area. Was able to use my compass to with directions to guide us there - even had a link to call and make reservations.

Every time I park my car now - in a big parking lot - I drop a pin on Google maps to guide me back.

Just the little things make it a fun toy.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
kapolani;2892114 said:
Once you get one with the capabilities of the iPhone you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

A few weekends ago my wife and I went up to Baltimore to go check the area out. Had no clue where we were. We got hungry so I pulled out the iPhone - brought up Google maps and typed in 'chinese food.' Instantly restaurants started popping up. Noticed PF Changs was in the area. Was able to use my compass to with directions to guide us there - even had a link to call and make reservations.

Every time I park my car now - in a big parking lot - I drop a pin on Google maps to guide me back.

Just the little things make it a fun toy.

i use the app "around me" to find new places to eat here in the dfw area.
also "urbanspoon" can be fun .

kapolani

Reaction score
poke;2892242 said:
i use the app "around me" to find new places to eat here in the dfw area.
also "urbanspoon" can be fun .

My wife loves Urbanspoon.

At home now. Haven't even fired up the laptop or desktop. Pretty much do all I'm surfing from my iPhone right now.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I probably use the following pas the most GPS/Mapping, Urban Spoon, Yelp and Flixster. Makes life a heck of a lot easier and well worth the extra money by themselves.

DirectTv also has a cool iPhone app, where if you need to record something you can connect to your DirectTv receiver and schedule it to record remotely. Pretty cool!

cowboyjf

Reaction score
Doomsday;2892457 said:
I probably use the following pas the most GPS/Mapping, Urban Spoon, Yelp and Flixster. Makes life a heck of a lot easier and well worth the extra money by themselves.

DirectTv also has a cool iPhone app, where if you need to record something you can connect to your DirectTv receiver and schedule it to record remotely. Pretty cool!

With the DirecTV app...can you watch the Sunday ticket? How about other programming?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
cowboyjf;2895970 said:
With the DirecTV app...can you watch the Sunday ticket? How about other programming?

Yes - you can watch the ticket on your iphone if you have purchased the NFL Ticket for your home.

That's what DTV says anyways. Im getting the app once the season starts.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
you have to get DTV to get NFL games on your iphone? geez. 10 bucks a month during the season gets me mlb.tv where i've got every game not blacked out locally/nationally on my computer, and if you've got an iphone you can watch all those games live on your phone. I'f im out somewhere in the evening and im waiting on food/taxi/whatever, ill pull up the Rangers and watch. It's awesome.

During Mark Buehrle's perfect game, I had a crowd of like 8 coworkers in my office gathered around my phone.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2886854 said:
Yes, I am going to get the "newest" model.

Am I understanding this correctly, I cannot play Youtube videos on the iPhone because it doesn't play Flash? If I "jailbreak" it, I will be able too?

Also, do we have any T-Mobile and/or G1 users in the house?

There is a youtube app that comes with the phone so you can watch all the videos you want.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2896330 said:
One thing I'm noticing is quite a bit of
dropped calls

Where do you live? You can blame that on AT&T. Between the new iphone 3GS and the 3G dropping to 99 dollars, there were literally millions of new at&t customers, all armed with data plans. Here in atlanta it was so bad the 3rd week of july I could barely complete a call. In large cities its obviously worse.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I had a dropped call. Perhaps that's just because I live in the middle of a very large city and typically always have full bars. But even when I have limited service I don't drop calls.