The iPhone

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
DIAF;2896516 said:
Where do you live? You can blame that on AT&T. Between the new iphone 3GS and the 3G dropping to 99 dollars, there were literally millions of new at&t customers, all armed with data plans. Here in atlanta it was so bad the 3rd week of july I could barely complete a call. In large cities its obviously worse.

Murphy, TX, which is a little north of Dallas.

I have dropped a few calls and my co-workers have had the same experiences.

Does anyone here have a car radio that has a USB port for Ipods? If so, have you got it to work with the IPhone?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2899002 said:
Does anyone here have a car radio that has a USB port for Ipods? If so, have you got it to work with the IPhone?
Yes. Yes.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
theogt;2899016 said:
Yes. Yes.

I'm assuming as soon as you plug your Iphone into your radio, it automatically switches to the Iphone and music from your Iphone starts playing?

I got my Iphone to work a few times but right now, it says "no music" when I plug the Iphone in.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2899030 said:
I'm assuming as soon as you plug your Iphone into your radio, it automatically switches to the Iphone and music from your Iphone starts playing?

I got my Iphone to work a few times but right now, it says "no music" when I plug the Iphone in.
Yes, the music automatically loads for me.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
theogt;2899117 said:
Yes, the music automatically loads for me.

Does your car radio have a mic and enable you to speak through the mic via bluetooth?

Something tells me it has something to do with that but I am not sure.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2899164 said:
Does your car radio have a mic and enable you to speak through the mic via bluetooth?

Something tells me it has something to do with that but I am not sure.
Yes, my car has bluetooth.

kapolani

Reaction score
Well. Jailbroke my iPhone a few days ago.

I'm an engineer so I'm surprised I waited this long to do it.

It was very painless. Now the full potential of the phone is unlocked. Running a few cool apps. Changed my theme. Haven't found a good Cowboys theme yet.

Good stuff!

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
kapolani;2899756 said:
Well. Jailbroke my iPhone a few days ago.

I'm an engineer so I'm surprised I waited this long to do it.

It was very painless. Now the full potential of the phone is unlocked. Running a few cool apps. Changed my theme. Haven't found a good Cowboys theme yet.

Good stuff!

I may have to do this.

I am just a little worried I wont be able to get updates and other things wont work if I do it.

kapolani

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2899981 said:
I may have to do this.

I am just a little worried I wont be able to get updates and other things wont work if I do it.

Do you're research.

I'm not using a bunch of programs. The programs I do use have been tested and are the main programs people get.

If you have a 3GS and you jailbreak there are a couple of files that you HAVE to capture if you ever update through Apple. These two files are needed to jailbreak updates past 3.0.

I use:

SbsSettings
SNES emulator
Backgrounder
Winterboard
GV Mobile

and of course cydia

Here are the guides that I used:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/07/...nning-iphone-os-30-using-redsn0w-windows.html

http://modmyi.com/forums/redsn0w/681617-redsn0w-jailbreak-guide-iphone-3gs-using-windows.html

http://www.iphoneheat.com/2009/07/h...bss-files-to-secure-future-jailbreak-windows/

You can always do a full restore to return your phone to factory build.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
kapolani;2900213 said:
Do you're research.

I'm not using a bunch of programs. The programs I do use have been tested and are the main programs people get.

If you have a 3GS and you jailbreak there are a couple of files that you HAVE to capture if you ever update through Apple. These two files are needed to jailbreak updates past 3.0.

I use:

SbsSettings
SNES emulator
Backgrounder
Winterboard
GV Mobile

and of course cydia

Here are the guides that I used:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/07/...nning-iphone-os-30-using-redsn0w-windows.html

http://modmyi.com/forums/redsn0w/681617-redsn0w-jailbreak-guide-iphone-3gs-using-windows.html

http://www.iphoneheat.com/2009/07/h...bss-files-to-secure-future-jailbreak-windows/

You can always do a full restore to return your phone to factory build.

Thanks for the info.

I won't jailbreak my IPhone unless I absolutely have too (ie an application that I need that will only run on a jailbreak Iphone).

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I just downloaded the Last.fm application. Pretty sweet. I am assuming the way it works is you search for an artist and then you choose a station that plays that artist's type of music?

Honestly, this has got to be one of the greatest inventions.

I loved the fact that I can take advantage of my FIOS Wireless Network.

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
I tried to jailbreak my iphone 3G once, a few months ago. It was supposed to be painless. I researched and did everything I was told to do. My phone got stuck on the little spinning icon. I then did the factory reset thing and never bothered with it again.

SPHawk

Reaction score
PBJTime;2900827 said:
I tried to jailbreak my iphone 3G once, a few months ago. It was supposed to be painless. I researched and did everything I was told to do. My phone got stuck on the little spinning icon. I then did the factory reset thing and never bothered with it again.

Forgot to take your phone off of auto lock?

Warick

Reaction score
Well.. I broke down and bought an iphone (32 gig) the other night. I haven't had a lot of time to really play around with the phone, and still haven't installed itunes yet, but hopefully will this weekend.What are some of your favorite apps, and what do they do, and cost?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Warick;2906302 said:
Well.. I broke down and bought an iphone (32 gig) the other night. I haven't had a lot of time to really get to play around with the phone, and still haven't installed itunes yet, but hopefully will this weekend.What are some of your favorite apps, and what do they do, and cost?

Should have waited for the Maemo. ;)

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2886478 said:
I have been fed up with my Blackberry Storm for quite sometime, I just didn't want to switch from Verizon to ATT.

However, I have pretty much decided to get an iPhone (even though my brother is hyping up the Google G1).

1. Can you use the iPhone like an IPod? Meaning, you can load songs you download (Limewire, Bittorrent etc etc) to your desktop onto your iPhone. My car radio has a USB port and my IPod got fried as I was stupid enough to leave it in the car in 100+ degree heat. So I could kill two birds with one stone by getting a great phone that can serve as an IPod.

2. Is there an iPhone app that allows you to keep track of username and passwords for websites and such. I have a ton of websites I visit and I have software that I have written that allows me to look up this information but I want to get rid of it.

3. How is the ATT network? Are there alot of dropped calls, is it comparable to Verizon?

4. I heard the Safari Browser cannot play Flash, so I am assuming if you browse to websites that have flash, they won't work?

Your brother is right. Google Android is going to be "IT" soon.... just gotta be patient.

kapolani

Reaction score
YoMick;2918071 said:
Your brother is right. Google Android is going to be "IT" soon.... just gotta be patient.

I'm interested to see how these new phones will compete.

You have to remember that Apple has been on top of the market for a while now. They've been training us since the IPOD and itunes.

Once Apple breaks free from ATT you'll see a huge increase in iPhone sales. Not to mention I'm sure Apple has the next great iteration right around the corner.

More options is a good thing though - keeps people from getting complacent.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
kapolani;2918160 said:
I'm interested to see how these new phones will compete.

You have to remember that Apple has been on top of the market for a while now. They've been training us since the IPOD and itunes.

Once Apple breaks free from ATT you'll see a huge increase in iPhone sales. Not to mention I'm sure Apple has the next great iteration right around the corner.

More options is a good thing though - keeps people from getting complacent.

Totally agree. Options are good, err... GREAT!

But the edge that Google will have over Apple is.... Google isn't looking to go into your pocket for everything. They dont have to. Phone companies and Apple pretty much have to.

So at the end of the day...a FREE App vs. Pay APP - I choose FREE.

Also, here is an analogy of where Google is taking this.

Lets say you buy the body of a car - no engine. THEN you choose every single option in it and most of them are free.

It will be a long time before phone companies give you that kind of freedom/options etc.