The Jets game was an aberration; these Cowboys are better than most think

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look, this last game was just unusual: Penalties, injuries, dropped passes, missed FG's. Everything that could go wrong; did go wrong. And it was frustrating!

We lost to "some darn old" QB...Errr I mean "SAM DARNOLD" QB.

But, you have to give the Jets credit. They had a sound game plan and came to play.

Now: Why do I call it an aberration?

If you would have made last weeks picks based on the higher ranked teams from Aikmans efficiency ratings you would have lost only 2 games.

http://aikman.com/AikmanEfficiencyR...man-Efficiency-Ratings-2019-As-of-Week-5.aspx

The Two Exceptions:

1. Cowboys ranked at #3 lost to the Jets ranked at #30 (This is unusual)

Bucs ranked #14 lost to the Panthers ranked at #15 (This is not unusual. These two teams were ranked barely apart in overall efficiency).

THE SHIP ISN'T SINKING!

We have an efficient team which equals success. Aikman has it right!

With that being said: I want to see them play as a TEAM. NEVER play as individuals.
You are right! all we need is a good head coach. I'm glad to see that @Idgit gave you a like.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I noticed Football Outsiders still has the Cowboys ranked high, too, which barely makes sense.

I think they haven't fully factored in strength of opponent yet. And I'm sure Aikman's rankings don't. Those first three games were as easy as it gets, and almost every upcoming game (except the Skins) will be more like the last three opponents than the first three.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
MtXv0lT.jpg

The Natural

Reaction score
But that’s not how stats work.
You asked in an incredulous tone if it was right that we were ranked 2 in offense and 9 on defense and that 6 games was a pretty good sample size. Being that half of those games were against some of the worst teams in football (i'm including an Eli-lead offense, not the rookie) it seems to be a logical deduction that you have to take those stats with a grain of salt.

ghst187

Reaction score
Patience is a virtue. If the internet existed during the beginning of the Tom Landry era:

Well, for Landry's first nine seasons:

Landry was well below .500, had several losing seasons, made the playoffs 3 times and never got to the SB. And then greatness was born.
JG is above .500, had only 1 losing season, made the playoffs 3 times and never got to the SB. Yet.

Just saying that in today's world; everyone wants instant gratification.

That Landry fella turned out to be a great one!

Sometimes, you just never know.

true but totally diff era and totally diff game. Back then, players generally stayed with their team, didn’t demand back breaking contracts, didn’t get the level of free agency, and owners had no salary cap.
FA and salary cap made it a win now game instead of build for the future. Look at Seattle or St Louis, they were great for 3-4 years then FA and salary cap dismantled their teams, both walk away with only one trophy before having to reboot.
It’s also not just about winning now, JG can’t do basic things good coaches do...like prepare players for games, identify and exploit mismatches, effectively manage games and players,...and so on. Backup and near rookie QBs always bag on how easy it was to figure us out....9 years of this. Then come playoffs JG just gets made a fool of. Peterson and Rams coach come in and turn those franchises around in a season, one winning a ring after losing his four best players including his QB. We lose a starting Water boy and the whole team crumbles.
It’s way past time to move on.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look, this last game was just unusual: Penalties, injuries, dropped passes, missed FG's. Everything that could go wrong; did go wrong. And it was frustrating!

But, you have to give the Jets credit. They had a sound game plan and came to play.

If you would have made last weeks picks based on the higher ranked teams from Aikmans efficiency ratings you would have lost only 2 games.

http://aikman.com/AikmanEfficiencyR...man-Efficiency-Ratings-2019-As-of-Week-5.aspx

The Two Exceptions:

Bucs ranked #14 lost to the Panthers ranked at #15 (This is not unusual. These two teams were ranked barely apart in overall efficiency).

THE SHIP ISN'T SINKING!

With that being said: I want to see them play as a TEAM. NEVER play as individuals.
Rationalization vs eye test...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I mean, you are what you are...

But the Cowboys' issues are fixable b/c they are shooting themselves in the foot. They've been the better team in each game they've lost, they've just done dumb stuff that has cost them games.

They have also gotten pretty screwed by officials, and that hasn't helped.

fredp22

Reaction score
Patience is a virtue. If the internet existed during the beginning of the Tom Landry era:

Landry was well below .500, had several losing seasons, made the playoffs 3 times and never got to the SB. And then greatness was born.
JG is above .500, had only 1 losing season, made the playoffs 3 times and never got to the SB. Yet.

instant gratification- its been 9+ years
Landrys teams were great and in the playoffs from '66 on. thats 6 years. and in his first year we didnt have a draft pick
Landry was a defensive genius that started the 4-3 defense and could coach. He knew how to make in game adjustments and how to play to the other teams weakness while using his strengths
Garrett-well he knows how to clap
Landrys in the HOF- I'll bet whatever u want Garrett will never get 1 vote for the Hall

Are you really comparing Garrett to Landry? its impossible to get 2 coaches on the opposite exstremes.
give me a break

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure we are right in the middle.......... in that gray area between good and bad that Jerry and Jason love.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Garrett isn't even close to Landry in terms of the mindset necessary for achievement. Landry was about innovation and standards of success that Garrett hasn't got a clue about. Garrett had Romo, who did his own thing on the field instead of the pablum that Garrett called.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Two Exceptions:

THE SHIP ISN'T SINKING!

The Cowboys injuries were hard to overcome.

Injuries:
  • Tyron Smith: Out
  • La'el Collins: Out
  • Randall Cobb: Out
  • Amari Cooper: Played 3 snaps
  • DL Crawford & Armstrong out early making the DL rotation short handed.
  • CB Brown played less than half his normal snaps.
  • CB Jones played 61% of snaps instead of his usual 100%.

Creeper

Reaction score
Watch the offensive and defensive lines play and its no aberration. I do think the OL can play better when healthy, but offenses have figured something out about the Dallas defense and they are exploiting it early. It looks like the Colts and Rams exposed them. Now everyone is running the same plays effectively.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Two Exceptions:

THE SHIP ISN'T SINKING!

John813

Reaction score
The Cowboys have shot themselves in the foot for 3+ games now.
Turnovers, penalties, poor execution, poor play calling etc...
Now injuries are piling up and history has shown this team does not have answers for key injuries.

Most can be corrected, but can they be corrected at this time?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I like your optimism, but...

Landry was an innovator in regards to X & O issues.

It's Garrett's negative influence on the offense that bothers me more than his other duties as the HC.

I'm certain that Kellen Moore would run a much difference offense than what we've seen if he had the freedom to implement his own scheme.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys injuries were hard to overcome.

Injuries:
  • Tyron Smith: Out
  • La'el Collins: Out
  • Randall Cobb: Out
  • Amari Cooper: Played 3 snaps
  • DL Crawford & Armstrong out early making the DL rotation short handed.
  • CB Brown played less than half his normal snaps.
  • CB Jones played 61% of snaps instead of his usual 100%.

In case the above aren't enough for you xwalker.....
HEROIMAGE-copy.jpg

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
You asked in an incredulous tone if it was right that we were ranked 2 in offense and 9 on defense and that 6 games was a pretty good sample size. Being that half of those games were against some of the worst teams in football (i'm including an Eli-lead offense, not the rookie) it seems to be a logical deduction that you have to take those stats with a grain of salt.
No. You misread my tone. That’s easy to do on the internet.

My tone was commentary on the site, the fans, and how bad everyone is saying we are. The stats say maybe we aren’t that bad. The margin of loss and some of unique circumstances that were a part of those losses may indicate that as well. I hope.

The stats do take into account all 6 games and not just the 3 against the bad teams. Were we that much better against the bad teams statistically? I’m not sure we were.