Twitter: The last time Dallas played Miami, Tony Romo did this

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
Like @Aviano90 mentioned, there is a difference between brittle (synonym: fragile) and tough. I never said Romo was never tough. Actually mentioned several times in the old threads how tough Romo was. The issue is that Romo was often getting injured, thus the comparison of being fragile.

A fair disagreement/conversation here. And well stated by both you and Aviano.

I think Romo had one collar bone and one case of fractured ribs. You may correct me if I am mistaken.

The rest is the "back problems" which was not a skeletal issue. Once the discs go in the back. That is a whole different story and that is what kept Romo injured a few times.

Heck, Irvin career ended with a neck injury. Romo career ended with a back injury. Aikmans career ended with a back injury (I think). And Larry Birds back injury took him out of the NBA.

These players were never considered "brittle".

The spinal cord or disc injuries in a back are something you never want to mess with. I know this one all too well.

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
Man, that 2015 season was such a freaking nightmare, what did we end up, 4-12?

Started off with 2 wins, Romo gets injured. We didn't win our next game until Romo came back later in the season vs the Dolphins. And the next game Romo got injured again.

The year Romo carried the team for wins on his bad back. 3 of the 4 of the wins were with Romo at the helm.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

I think Romo had one collar bone and one case of fractured ribs. You may correct me if I am mistaken.

The rest is the "back problems" which was not a skeletal issue. Once the discs go in the back. That is a whole different story and that is what kept Romo injured a few times.

Heck, Irvin career ended with a neck injury. Romo career ended with a back injury. Aikmans career ended with a back injury (I think). And Larry Birds back injury took him out of the NBA.

The spinal cord or disc injuries in a back are something you never want to mess with. I know this one all too well.
Romo suffered 11 separate injuries throughout his 10 years as a starter.

Check out the link and read his Cowboys injury history:

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/tony-romo/2650

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

Romo had a lot of ribs problems. I think it is why he started wearing the protective gear. Off the top of my head, here are some that I recall:

1. He broke his ribs and was spitting up blood in the shower after the 2008 week 17 loss to Philadelphia.
2. As you mentioned before, he broke his ribs against San Francisco in 2011 and came back into the game.
3. It was thought he broke his ribs in week 1 against the the Giants in 2012. Some reports claimed they were bruised.
4. He claimed during the 2014 season that he played a portion of it with broken ribs but didn’t know exactly when they got broken. I remember this being a story because it was never listed in the injury report and there were concerns the team would be in trouble by the admission.

As for the collar bone, he broke that in 2010 against the Giants. He broke it twice in 2015, once against the Philly in week 2 and then on Thanksgiving against Carolina.

His back he had the slipped disc in 2013 in week 16 against the Commanders, transverse fracture in 2014 against the Commanders, and the compression fracture in 2016 preseason against the Seahawks.

Other than those he broke his finger in 2008 and missed 3 games but never had any recurring hand problems. Just a fluke hitting of a pass rushers helmet.

One note on Aikman retiring. He said many believe it was because of concussions, but it was really because he didn’t like the decisions the team made and he didn’t want to be around it any longer. This was in his Football Life episode.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Romo had a lot of ribs problems. I think it is why he started wearing the protective gear. Off the top of my head, here are some that I recall:

1. He broke his ribs and was spitting up blood in the shower after the 2008 week 17 loss to Philadelphia.
2. As you mentioned before, he broke his ribs against San Francisco in 2011 and came back into the game.
3. It was thought he broke his ribs in week 1 against the the Giants in 2012. Some reports claimed they were bruised.
4. He claimed after the 2014 season that he played a portion of it with broken ribs but didn’t know exactly when they got broken. I remember this being a story because it was never listed in the injury report and there were concerns the team would be in trouble by the admission.

As for the collar bone, he broke that in 2010 against the Giants. He broke it twice in 2015, once against the Philly in week 2 and then on Thanksgiving against Carolina.

His back he had the slipped disc in 2013 in week 16 against the Commanders, transverse fracture in 2014 against the Commanders, and the compression fracture in 2016 preseason against the Seahawks.

Other than those he broke his finger in 2008 and missed 3 games but never had any recurring hand problems. Just a fluke hitting of a pass rushers helmet.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
Romo suffered 11 separate injuries throughout his 10 years as a starter.

Check out the link and read his Cowboys injury history:

Thanks for that link. I like proof.

So it was the clavical and the back that kept him out of games. He played through everything else.

Regarding his 1st clavical injury against the Giants. I remember that dirty play by the Giants player.

Holding one of Romos arms in and slamming Romo to the turf with all his weight on top of him. I despise when players use intent to injure another. That play still ticks me off.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for that link. I like proof.

So it was the clavical and the back that kept him out of games. He played through everything else.

Regarding his 1st clavical injury against the Giants. I remember that dirty play by the Giants player.

Holding one of Romos arms in and slamming Romo to the turf with all his weight on top of him. I despise when players use intent to injure another. That play still ticks me off.
Agreed.

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
Lol that would have saved me some time. But it doesn’t list his rib injuries against the Giants in 2012 and whatever happened to them in 2014.

Here is link to story about 2014 rib injury:

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/amp.si.com/nfl/2014/12/05/dallas-cowboys-tony-romo-broken-rib

And thanks for that link. And Romo still was playing through it. He was always one tough Cowboy.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
You give a guy credit for putting his team in a bad hole against a really bad team in the bills, giving them a chance to win a game they had no business even being in lol. My goodness how much lube do you use when you watch his highlights?
Not much. When watching Romo highlights, I don't last very long.

If Dak keeps playing like he does I'll feel the same way on game day .

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score

One note on Aikman retiring. He said many believe it was because of concussions, but it was really because he didn’t like the decisions the team made and he didn’t want to be around it any longer. This was in his Football Life episode.

If anyone goes back and looks at that Philly loss. Damn that was a huge TEAM loss. Romo gave it everything he had.

And thanks for that regarding Aikman. I know his concussions added up throughout the years. But I thought he had something with his back starting in some game vs either the Seahawks or Eagles. And then Aikman being booed off the field later that season.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If anyone goes back and looks at that Philly loss. Damn that was a huge TEAM loss. Romo gave it everything he had.

And thanks for that regarding Aikman. I know his concussions added up throughout the years. But I thought he had something with his back starting in some game vs either the Seahawks or Eagles. And then Aikman being booed off the field later that season.
No problem. He did have a back injury and that was also speculated as being the reason. I was surprised at his admission in that show because I used to attribute his retirement to injury, too.