CFZ The message 30 of 32 NFL owners send every year

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Well the story goes Jimmy decided to trade Herschel Walker. Jimmy made the draft selections, coached the team. Jerry signed the checks, so I guess that equates to 50%?

Also how many has Jerry won without Jimmy Johnson player acquisitions?

Jerry is a fraud.

What gets me....is ....this is not new news.....we all know this...its been going on for 26 plus years and not gonna change. Yet, STILL, someone has to post a thread about if the Cowboys ONLY had a real General Manager.......PEOPLE WE NO THIS.....JERRY has said this openly and publicly....HE IS THE GM and will remain the GM.....Can we not discuss FOOTBALL without telling us year after year how bad the Jones are..... talking about beating a dead horse.....:facepalm:

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Here’s the message: Approximately 94% of NFL owners share something very important in common- they hire a general manager to manage football operations and let that person be completely in charge of the team’s roster management and on-field results.

There are only 2 owners who don’t use that model- Cincinnati’s Mike Brown and Dallas’ Jerry Jones. So how have the 30 other owners who hire a GM fared compared to Jerry and Mike Brown?
  • The winning owners of the last 26 Super Bowls all hired a GM to run their football operations.
  • The only time in the last 26 years a team who had an owner as it’s GM won a conference championship or even went to a conference championship game was last year’s bengals team.
  • The combined playoff record of the two “GM owners” over the last 26 years: 7-18. (After the bengals won 3 playoff games last year)
Having the owner also serve as your GM is an inherently bad idea. The data of the last quarter century makes that clear. The owner has an emotional attachment to their team that makes it more difficult to make the tough decisions needed to win in this league.

So the next time Jerry tells us how bad he wants to win- just remember- he doesn’t want to win bad enough to do what it takes to win a SB. And 30 NFL owners have made it abundantly clear that starts with hiring
What gets me....is ....this is not new news.....we all know this...its been going on for 26 plus years and not gonna change. Yet, STILL, someone has to post a thread about if the Cowboys ONLY had a real General Manager.......PEOPLE WE NO THIS.....JERRY has said this openly and publicly....HE IS THE GM and will remain the GM.....Can we not discuss FOOTBALL without telling us year after year how bad the Jones are..... talking about beating a dead horse.....:facepalm:
Jerry is the king of the kingpins,in his mind. And don't you forget it. We know.

lukin2006

Reaction score
It’s not changing. They are pretty good at drafting talent. But have been lacking in smarts when handing out contracts…imo. Elliot comes to mind. Even Lawrence. But then again what do I know…I’m just a fan.

pansophy

Reaction score
Here’s the message: Approximately 94% of NFL owners share something very important in common- they hire a general manager to manage football operations and let that person be completely in charge of the team’s roster management and on-field results.

There are only 2 owners who don’t use that model- Cincinnati’s Mike Brown and Dallas’ Jerry Jones. So how have the 30 other owners who hire a GM fared compared to Jerry and Mike Brown?
  • The winning owners of the last 26 Super Bowls all hired a GM to run their football operations.
  • The only time in the last 26 years a team who had an owner as it’s GM won a conference championship or even went to a conference championship game was last year’s bengals team.
  • The combined playoff record of the two “GM owners” over the last 26 years: 7-18. (After the bengals won 3 playoff games last year)
Having the owner also serve as your GM is an inherently bad idea. The data of the last quarter century makes that clear. The owner has an emotional attachment to their team that makes it more difficult to make the tough decisions needed to win in this league.

So the next time Jerry tells us how bad he wants to win- just remember- he doesn’t want to win bad enough to do what it takes to win a SB. And 30 NFL owners have made it abundantly clear that starts with hiring a real GM.
Except this entire post falls apart for the simple fact that Jerry has been GM for 3 super bowl teams. How many GMs in your 94% have more than 1 super bowl? Guessing not many.

Jerry just never adjusted to the salary cap era, guessing in part because shiny objects make the Cowboys more valuable and nobody has a more valuable franchise than Jerry. But if you are going to use stats to support your argument then you can't cherry-pick it.

kskboys

Reaction score
ALL owners are GM's, they just do not carry the title as Jerry does (and Mike Brown).
Don't think for a second they are not around in meetings, or at least pop in at times, and are not being kept informed of everything.

They are still the ultimate decision maker. These GM's do not have a blank check to do as they please without the owners final approval.

I understand the dislike for Jerry. Yes, he needs to stay in the back ground more. But is it really worth whining 24 / 7 / 365 about?
I guess if it makes one feel better to vent though.
People whine about everything on this boards. Everyone.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Statistically speaking, when 94% of all organizations have a non-owner GM, you should expect this sort of outcome. If the 2 owner/GM's could compete with the other 30, they'd be football savants.

That’s what I was getting at when asking Bob who the other GM-Owners were through the 30 years of numbers he was posting. Not defending Jerry at all but just saying, if you’re only using 2 out of 25-30 teams (depending on league size at time) you’re probably going to find a lot of scenarios where no one won jack.

kskboys

Reaction score
Do you guys really not notice how many ideas are repeated as threads ad nauseum? Geez, guys, why is it bothering you that someone wants to start threads about any topic? You don't want to read anything on a certain topic, don't click on the thread. It's not that hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GINeric

Reaction score
Well the story goes Jimmy decided to trade Herschel Walker. Jimmy made the draft selections, coached the team. Jerry signed the checks, so I guess that equates to 50%?

Also how many has Jerry won without Jimmy Johnson player acquisitions?

Jerry is a fraud.

No i don't think it's a 50 - 50 credit split, i believe Jimmy deserves more of the credit, but Jerry deserves a good part of the credit as well.

Jimmy did all those wonderful things you've listed above, but guess what.... it was Jerry who gave him the chance no other NFL franchise gave him to showcase his coaching ability. So again, thats credit to Jerry.

Jerry went to 2 championship games and won another Superbowl without Jimmy.... how many championship games and Superbowls did Jimmy go to without Jerry??

Who won more division titles after they separated, Jerry or Jimmy???

Who had a better team winning percentage when they separated, Jerry or Jimmy???

glimmerman

Reaction score

So the next time Jerry tells us how bad he wants to win- just remember- he doesn’t want to win bad enough to do what it takes to win a SB. And 30 NFL owners have made it abundantly clear that starts with hiring a real GM.
JJ will never listen and not only won’t hire a GM but will never hire a HC with balls. Because he will want to handle who plays.

I do not think that JJ just picks the players and hands them over to a HC to coach and teach and make the starting line up. JJ looks at it and looks at the check book. Who ever he pays the most money is the starters.

Why do you think Elliot was playing with a torn knee. If he says he can go then he makes sure they are on the field for the most part. Whiten never came off the field. But looking at coop he crossed him or did not obey him so he was cut and is leaving Dak with a sub par O-Line and 1 known WR.

This team is his toy and he plays with it. When I went to tour the new stadium I went to his suite. Sat in his chair and looked at his phone. He had JG on speed dial. His number for the sidelines. I wondered if he called down at times to make personnel changes or scheme changes. 3 straight passes from the 2 yard line. Lol. Is it possible he can call and connect to the headphones the HC is wearing. You see them click something on the headphones or on the wire going to it.

Would love to know just how much he controls this team and the game..

Praxit

Reaction score
..good post, Bullet. Those numbers are clear as daylight. This might be cowboy way for years to come. Stephen will be next Jerry.

kskboys

Reaction score
No i don't think it's a 50 - 50 credit split, i believe Jimmy deserves more of the credit, but Jerry deserves a good part of the credit as well.

Jimmy did all those wonderful things you've listed above, but guess what.... it was Jerry who gave him the chance no other NFL franchise gave him to showcase his coaching ability. So again, thats credit to Jerry.

Jerry went to 2 championship games and won another Superbowl without Jimmy.... how many championship games and Superbowls did Jimmy go to without Jerry??

Jerry was the GM and deserves the credit for those super bowls, same as for the 26 pathetic years after. The GM's job is to hire people who know what they're doing, Jerry doesn't lose credit, he gets full credit for hiring Jimmy.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
we don't need any stinking GM. We have our egomaniac football guy and that is good enough.

tunahelper

Reaction score

Again Jerry rode the team Jimmy built. What makes you think a successful Hurricanes coach Jimmy Johnson didn't have other franchise offers?

What makes you think Jerry ever gets to any SB without Jimmy? Jerry is a fraud.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Jerry’s the GM only in name. Will McClay is the real GM. Don’t get this “Jerry makes all the personnel decisions “. He just approves what he’s told.

cowboyed

Reaction score

I suspect the winning percentage isn't higher when head coaches also are general managers, with the exception of Bill Belichick. I agree that owners who assume the general manager role do their team a disservice and in the case of the Cowboys it goes beyond that when familially, you not only have Jerry but Stephen in top executive management.

And Stephen like Jerry is a team multiple role player since he is Chief Operating Officer/Executive Vice-president of Player Personnel AND President of AT&T Stadium. Emotional attachment to the team is both bad and good but the lack of objectivity about your team is a consistent progress killer especially when you dabble in other major high resource driven business ventures.

Both Jerry and Stephen haven't team-development evolved much over decades in their respective positions and that is why we have an overall history of being a good but not great team except at squandering post-season game winning opportunities.

Last edited: