The missing ingredient to success

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When he made that comment at the coaches' table, I rewound it back to see their reaction. It was one of resignation. It lead me to believe that the owner engages with the coaches meetings a lot more than I had thought. If you get the chance to watch it, look for when they first sit down, Garrett is at the head of the table, as you would expect the HC to be, and Booger was to his right. All eyes were on Booger.

I thought back to that line he threw out when he came to Dallas, "from jocks to socks" but didn't really think he meant the coaching part of it. Then I watched the SEC film "Before They Were Cowboys" about Booger, Johnson and Switzer at AR and learned something new. Switzer was instrumental in not only Johnson's desire to coach but Booger's as well but he was more money driven and coaches didn't make close to what they make now. This has been a suppressed desire of Booger's since he was a player and the driving force behind buying a NFL team.

I've said this many times, get out of the GM chair and become the HC, it's more admin than real coaching and if he had good coaches around him, he might be pretty good at it. Be a renaissance man, be the latter day Papa Halas or Paul Brown. Hell, the coaches probably pay more attention to him than Garrett now anyway, they're watching the ventriloquist's mouth move.
Yep

I’ve talked about this before. Jerry’s desire to coach. But he didn’t want to held directly accountable.

Owning a team would enable him to be the football guy without being on the sidelines. And then he revolutionized how teams were rewarded financially for their success on the field which used to be how owners were held accountable.

Those were words that stuck with Jerry from Tex when Jerry complimented Tex on why the Cowboys were so attractive for him to purchase. But Tex reminded Jerry that the off field success and celebrity status was directly related to the success on the field.

Jerry has basically reinvented the wheel with his revolutionary revenue streams he’s implemented no longer necessary for success on the field as all teams are now making money regardless.

Like you told me years ago. Once the new stadium was built, PSL’s committed, tickets sold , sponsors signed ... it was over . Jerry won. And you were right.

Cowboys1972

Reaction score
First of all, a little background. I spent most of my career training salespeople and sales managers and part of that deals with what motivates people. Not just the people that worked for me but the people they were trying to convince to make a change. And that's the root of sales, asking people to make change, one of the single hardest things for them to do.

A lot of research has been done with what motivates people to make a change. Is it the desire to gain or the desire to avoid pain? In my experience, the avoidance of pain is far greater because the perception of that is real and gain is yet to be realized.

CC, what's you point? Glad you asked. What's missing with the Dallas Cowboys and has been except when Johnson and Parcells were in place? FEAR

Under the Joneses, where is the fear of failure? That fear is far more motivating for players than the desire to win. That is the driving force in comebacks and the reason the other team doesn't stop the comeback, they do not have enough fear.

If a player doesn't do his job with the Cowboys, what happens? Did you catch Booger in All or Nothing making excuses for Elliott because "he's been through a lot"?

The only coaching change that can really make a difference is one where the HC is allowed to use fear. As mild mannered as Phillips was, he wanted to at least increase fines but was not allowed to do so.

Have you asked yourself why was Parcells able to take Campo's team and turn that around in his first season? Enter fear. Then ask yourself, how was Phillips able to take Parcells team and turn that around? Exit fear. Fear isn't a constant, it has to be used by those who know when to press it and when to back off. Too much fear, risk a shutdown. Not enough fear, risk complacency and good enough is good enough.

Our problemo, mi amigos, is how does fear come to the Cowboys when the owner wants a happy house?

BTW, that Vikings game. Which team do you think had the fear of losing. The team that has the GM that makes excuses for the players or the team that has the HC that openly told his team "no one cares you're beat up and playing on 5 days rest"? All comes down to the same thing, getting the best out of your team and fear has to be present to accomplish that.

Unfortunately the "fear" factor has been missing from this team for a long time. Ever since Jones fired a "control freak" coach that supposedly never gave him the due credit he's been trying to prove to the world for the past 20+ years that it was him (Jones), the "nice guy," and not Johnson that brought such quick success to the Cowboys. In reality it was both. What arrogant individuals never realize is that they need others. Johnson needed Jones as much as Jones needed Johnson. Neither one accepted that fact and consequently they both have had mediocre success in their respective fields. The "fear" factor is always compromised when it's not supported by the GM, front office, assistant coaches, etc. Garrett is not that coach and Moore needs at least two-three years as an assistant offensive coordinator to "earn" and legitimize the position. Another trait of a "nice guy" trying to put "his men" into key positions. As long as Jones, et, al, are in charge they'll never allow another "mean control freak" in the building and the result will continue to be mediocre. It's like re-arranging the furniture on the Titanic. Nice post CC...jkv

yimyammer

Reaction score
If I have to employ fear, I just fire them.

That is a form of fear and a great one at that, I agree with your approach of hiring but couple that with your no nonsense approach of firing (I would assume your employees are aware of) is something that hangs in the back of ones mind should they choose to slack off

I haven't felt that vibe with the Cowboys since the days of Parcells and the glorious years with Jimmy Johnson. The Curvin Richards firing was sad for the player but no doubt had players on their toes entering the playoffs that year.

erod

Reaction score
That is a form of fear and a great one at that, I agree with your approach of hiring but couple that with your no nonsense approach of firing (I would assume your employees are aware of) is something that hangs in the back of ones mind should they choose to slack off

I haven't felt that vibe with the Cowboys since the days of Parcells and the glorious years with Jimmy Johnson. The Curvin Richards firing was sad for the player but no doubt had players on their toes entering the playoffs that year.
I don't use the Jimmy approach. I care about folks too much for that.

What I'm saying is, I will tolerate a lot of mistakes and lack of ability if someone is just really trying their best. I will go to the end of time, almost to a fault, for those people.

But if I can't trust you, or you don't seem to really care, I'm moving on quickly.

Legend

Reaction score

What I'm saying is, I will tolerate a lot of mistakes and lack of ability if someone is just really trying their best. I will go to the end of time, almost to a fault, for those people.

But if I can't trust you, or you don't seem to really care, I'm moving on quickly.

The Jimmy Johnson approach is what the Cowboys need. This video is telling.

Aikman wanted the good cop-bad cop approach after Jimmy left; but Jerry Jones sided with Switzer using a soft, player friendly approach... that the Cowboys still have 20+ years later.

erod

Reaction score
The Jimmy Johnson approach is what the Cowboys need. This video is telling.

Aikman wanted the good cop-bad cop approach after Jimmy left; but Jerry Jones sided with Switzer using a soft, player friendly approach... that the Cowboys still have 20+ years later.

You can't do that anymore. Not with milennials. They don't respond to that. And society no longer accepts discipline.

Especially when they make 10 times what Troy, Emmitt, and Michael made. Money is power.

yimyammer

Reaction score

Thats how I took your post and I agree with the approach. I love Jimmy but his screaming and flying off the handle stuff doesn't have a long shelf life.

A silent, stern assassin is just as effective and can function effectively for decades, I think thats what Belechik is and Landry was

yimyammer

Reaction score
Thats how I took your post and I agree with the approach. I love Jimmy but his screaming and flying off the handle stuff doesn't have a long shelf life.

A silent, stern assassin is just as effective and can function effectively for decades, I think thats what Belechik is and Landry was

let me add that I dont think Jimmys screaming was what instilled effective fear, it was that every player felt that if Jimmy could find a better player to do their job, he'd get rid of you in a heartbeat

I think all teams are improved with this kind of sword of damocles hanging over their heads because it encourages those trying to earn a job that they could win it and reminds players that have a job, it could be gone at any second.

jeri instills FAR too much job & $$ security imo and is never rewarded for it

Legend

Reaction score
You can't do that anymore. Not with milennials. They don't respond to that. And society no longer accepts discipline.

Especially when they make 10 times what Troy, Emmitt, and Michael made. Money is power.
It is not yelling for the sake of yelling. It is getting ticked off like fans do when bad plays are made, the team loses, and the team does not win as good as they expected.

As long as the Cowboys were blowing out teams; Jimmy was happy and loose and let the players have a great time with “White House” and so on.

But if not; he let the players know about it.

I imagine there are still some players left who do not like losing.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Belichick uses that better than anyone because his message is crystal clear to every player on that team, it is not about you, it is about this team.

Anything that he sees as a possible side trip for his train gets dealt with swiftly and every passenger knows it and that he's the engineer.

Every player on the Cowboys team knows that Garrett can't do anything to them, including benching them. They know they could go to Booger, if he hadn't already stepped in. He's that oddity in the NFL, a players' owner.

dckid

Reaction score
First of all, a little background. I spent most of my career training salespeople and sales managers and part of that deals with what motivates people. Not just the people that worked for me but the people they were trying to convince to make a change. And that's the root of sales, asking people to make change, one of the single hardest things for them to do.

A lot of research has been done with what motivates people to make a change. Is it the desire to gain or the desire to avoid pain? In my experience, the avoidance of pain is far greater because the perception of that is real and gain is yet to be realized.

CC, what's you point? Glad you asked. What's missing with the Dallas Cowboys and has been except when Johnson and Parcells were in place? FEAR

Under the Joneses, where is the fear of failure? That fear is far more motivating for players than the desire to win. That is the driving force in comebacks and the reason the other team doesn't stop the comeback, they do not have enough fear.

If a player doesn't do his job with the Cowboys, what happens? Did you catch Booger in All or Nothing making excuses for Elliott because "he's been through a lot"?

The only coaching change that can really make a difference is one where the HC is allowed to use fear. As mild mannered as Phillips was, he wanted to at least increase fines but was not allowed to do so.

Have you asked yourself why was Parcells able to take Campo's team and turn that around in his first season? Enter fear. Then ask yourself, how was Phillips able to take Parcells team and turn that around? Exit fear. Fear isn't a constant, it has to be used by those who know when to press it and when to back off. Too much fear, risk a shutdown. Not enough fear, risk complacency and good enough is good enough.

Our problemo, mi amigos, is how does fear come to the Cowboys when the owner wants a happy house?

BTW, that Vikings game. Which team do you think had the fear of losing. The team that has the GM that makes excuses for the players or the team that has the HC that openly told his team "no one cares you're beat up and playing on 5 days rest"? All comes down to the same thing, getting the best out of your team and fear has to be present to accomplish that.

You have some great points. Fear is a huge factor but just one factor. The bigger overarching problem is the culture that is allowed in Dallas.
Do you guys all remember Jimmy Johnson as fondly as I do. I just feel that was my formative years of football and have such fond memories. That man hated losing so much that no one wanted to deal with him the week after a loss.
1-15 to 7-9- 11-5- 13-3 (SB)
The team had a culture that came from the top and the biggest thing missing is that the team had an identity. They were prepared, no one looking at each other at the end of game on what to do, there was no fair catch fiasco. Great coaches prepare for two minute drills. They prepare for situational football.
Like I literally don't know what JG does? Can someone explain what his job is? He can't manage the clock/ timeouts, what to challenge.
He does not have a feel for this team. Do you think JG is able to name one special teams gunner on the Detroit Lions? I guarantee Sean Payton, Bill B and of course Jimmy would know. There is certain level of attention to detail what our head coach does not have. We see the results every week. Learn how to not lose before you learn how to win.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
A real GM and head coach equals Super Bowl in Dallas. Until that happens? We'll always be running around the ole Mar beery bush.

CB61

Reaction score
When he made that comment at the coaches' table, I rewound it back to see their reaction. It was one of resignation. It lead me to believe that the owner engages with the coaches meetings a lot more than I had thought. If you get the chance to watch it, look for when they first sit down, Garrett is at the head of the table, as you would expect the HC to be, and Booger was to his right. All eyes were on Booger.

I thought back to that line he threw out when he came to Dallas, "from jocks to socks" but didn't really think he meant the coaching part of it. Then I watched the SEC film "Before They Were Cowboys" about Booger, Johnson and Switzer at AR and learned something new. Switzer was instrumental in not only Johnson's desire to coach but Booger's as well but he was more money driven and coaches didn't make close to what they make now. This has been a suppressed desire of Booger's since he was a player and the driving force behind buying a NFL team.

I've said this many times, get out of the GM chair and become the HC, it's more admin than real coaching and if he had good coaches around him, he might be pretty good at it. Be a renaissance man, be the latter day Papa Halas or Paul Brown. Hell, the coaches probably pay more attention to him than Garrett now anyway, they're watching the ventriloquist's mouth move.

CB61

Reaction score

Well said

kskboys

Reaction score

I treat my employees the exact same way.