The missing ingredient to success

CB61

Reaction score
First of all, a little background. I spent most of my career training salespeople and sales managers and part of that deals with what motivates people. Not just the people that worked for me but the people they were trying to convince to make a change. And that's the root of sales, asking people to make change, one of the single hardest things for them to do.

A lot of research has been done with what motivates people to make a change. Is it the desire to gain or the desire to avoid pain? In my experience, the avoidance of pain is far greater because the perception of that is real and gain is yet to be realized.

CC, what's you point? Glad you asked. What's missing with the Dallas Cowboys and has been except when Johnson and Parcells were in place? FEAR

Under the Joneses, where is the fear of failure? That fear is far more motivating for players than the desire to win. That is the driving force in comebacks and the reason the other team doesn't stop the comeback, they do not have enough fear.

If a player doesn't do his job with the Cowboys, what happens? Did you catch Booger in All or Nothing making excuses for Elliott because "he's been through a lot"?

The only coaching change that can really make a difference is one where the HC is allowed to use fear. As mild mannered as Phillips was, he wanted to at least increase fines but was not allowed to do so.

Have you asked yourself why was Parcells able to take Campo's team and turn that around in his first season? Enter fear. Then ask yourself, how was Phillips able to take Parcells team and turn that around? Exit fear. Fear isn't a constant, it has to be used by those who know when to press it and when to back off. Too much fear, risk a shutdown. Not enough fear, risk complacency and good enough is good enough.

Our problemo, mi amigos, is how does fear come to the Cowboys when the owner wants a happy house?

BTW, that Vikings game. Which team do you think had the fear of losing. The team that has the GM that makes excuses for the players or the team that has the HC that openly told his team "no one cares you're beat up and playing on 5 days rest"? All comes down to the same thing, getting the best out of your team and fear has to be present to accomplish that.
That's funny that Elliot has been through a lot that 90 million dollars is just killing him LOL been through a lot my butt maybe he ought to walk in a few other people shoes for a few days before he thinks he's got it rough or booger does I'm just beside myself with that comment

CB61

Reaction score
That's funny that Elliot has been through a lot that 90 million dollars is just killing him LOL been through a lot my butt maybe he ought to walk in a few other people shoes for a few days before he thinks he's got it rough or booger does I'm just beside myself with that comment
Spoiled rotten brat is what he is he has a lot of growing to do but anyway good point in your article or good points I should say there's an article on my Flipboard news feed that talks about Jason Garrett not wanting to change and being set in his ways and that my friends is a big part of the problem! And yes there is no fear in the Dallas Cowboys organization everybody's going to get a paycheck just like everybody gets a trophy these days

GMO415

Reaction score
First of all, a little background. I spent most of my career training salespeople and sales managers and part of that deals with what motivates people. Not just the people that worked for me but the people they were trying to convince to make a change. And that's the root of sales, asking people to make change, one of the single hardest things for them to do.

A lot of research has been done with what motivates people to make a change. Is it the desire to gain or the desire to avoid pain? In my experience, the avoidance of pain is far greater because the perception of that is real and gain is yet to be realized.

CC, what's you point? Glad you asked. What's missing with the Dallas Cowboys and has been except when Johnson and Parcells were in place? FEAR

Under the Joneses, where is the fear of failure? That fear is far more motivating for players than the desire to win. That is the driving force in comebacks and the reason the other team doesn't stop the comeback, they do not have enough fear.

If a player doesn't do his job with the Cowboys, what happens? Did you catch Booger in All or Nothing making excuses for Elliott because "he's been through a lot"?

The only coaching change that can really make a difference is one where the HC is allowed to use fear. As mild mannered as Phillips was, he wanted to at least increase fines but was not allowed to do so.

Have you asked yourself why was Parcells able to take Campo's team and turn that around in his first season? Enter fear. Then ask yourself, how was Phillips able to take Parcells team and turn that around? Exit fear. Fear isn't a constant, it has to be used by those who know when to press it and when to back off. Too much fear, risk a shutdown. Not enough fear, risk complacency and good enough is good enough.

Our problemo, mi amigos, is how does fear come to the Cowboys when the owner wants a happy house?

BTW, that Vikings game. Which team do you think had the fear of losing. The team that has the GM that makes excuses for the players or the team that has the HC that openly told his team "no one cares you're beat up and playing on 5 days rest"? All comes down to the same thing, getting the best out of your team and fear has to be present to accomplish that.
DearestExemplaryCrab-size_restricted.gif

cern

Reaction score
That, my friend, is a fait accompli. And I do not think he will hire one but Garrett might fit in that area with McClay, if he's still there. Be like Co-Assistant GM's.
I see this suggested often. But I disagree. What has Garrett ever done to suggest he'd make a good gm or front office type. Nothing in my opinion.

cern

Reaction score
I vote for someone outside of the organization, who has more NFL experience than just working for his daddy.

But we're gonna get Stephen because the greatest job qualification in Jerry's World is nepotism.
Did you arrive at this conclusion based on observation or just a dislike for jerry. Every good thing that's happened to the cowboys recently is due to Stephen.

cern

Reaction score
Wow

You can listen to radio thru internet or XM Sirius as well as paper but I still read hard copy. And yes I follow Cowboys on FB and get dinged from other sites like DMN, dc.com( our old stomping grounds).

I’m not a Twittler or Instagram but many of the Social Media following always quoting like you see fans use here. Not including personal friends and family texting. It’s kinda tough to ignore it all.

Where exactly are you gathering info and updates from. Just here? Lol

C’mon Man. I’m an old fart too but up with the times. Are you in touch with the world at all? Ha
Problems with russia, north korea, China and middle east. Been going on since 1970's. Slip into a coma for 20 years and wake up and it will be the same. It's the same old news, it's the same old blues again. I don't follow the news at all. No social media for me.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
The players don’t fear the coach they just go straight past him to Jerry the enabler of delinquency...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Problems with russia, north korea, China and middle east. Been going on since 1970's. Slip into a coma for 20 years and wake up and it will be the same. It's the same old news, it's the same old blues again. I don't follow the news at all. No social media for me.
True but the characters have changed.

I want to take it all in and decipher for myself. I sway different directions pending the issue and circumstance. But information and knowledge is king even if you don’t arrive at a sound summation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Did you arrive at this conclusion based on observation or just a dislike for jerry. Every good thing that's happened to the cowboys recently is due to Stephen.
I believe Stephen has done a better job managing the Cap but the better drafts begun in 2011. A better vision for the team building process. And the promotion of Will. It’s been a total cumulative effort to influence Jerry’s instincts.

Stephen has been along the entire time with Jerry but this current culture didn’t begin until Garrett took over.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I see this suggested often. But I disagree. What has Garrett ever done to suggest he'd make a good gm or front office type. Nothing in my opinion.
Then you aren’t acknowledging when the transformation in the process begun.

Dracula

Reaction score
There's no passion from the HC. Instead of Lincoln Riley go get LSU ED Orgeron.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Hey Quick, how's it hanging?

What happens to a player if he misses a block, tackle, blows a coverage, gives up the big play? Better yet, what should happen? There aren't 32 quality players at any position and I watched a game this weekend and they were on their 5th P. These players all know depth isn't a reality, they don't fear for their jobs and they know most HC's are fearful of taking them out to make a point and have that cost them instead of the player. All but a handful that aren't fearful of losing their job.

I don't know if Garrett or any of his coaches could discipline a player without permission. Belichick dumped Brown and Gordon quickly and if that had been in Dallas, that would have taken time to sell Booger on it like they did with Owens and Bryant.
Hey Coach. Long time no talk.

I'm sure there is some level of no accountability, but I still don't think the coaching staff really knows how to take advantage of players strengths. I think you're right about players knowing who the actual coach/boss is. That to me undermines the respect that the head coach should be getting.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
It's not about yelling, Richard did that with LVE and Smith on the sideline to no avail.

It is about accountability to themselves and the team. Belichick doesn't use yelling to get his point across. Landry, Grant, Noll and Shula weren't yellers, they didn't need to be.
It's not about yelling, Richard did that with LVE and Smith on the sideline to no avail.

It is about accountability to themselves and the team. Belichick doesn't use yelling to get his point across. Landry, Grant, Noll and Shula weren't yellers, they didn't need to be.
Correct, they were fire-ers. If you do/did not do your job, you get fired just like me. If I don't do my job I am unemployed. :)

RD21

Reaction score
Inspiration. That is what gets men to follow other men. Great leaders inspire their men through example. Garrett diverting blame, will never achieve that.

I've been an employer for nearly 30yrs. I've never gotten better results from an increase in pay. A pat on the ***, good communication, & leading by example, has always netted better results. The examples I'm drawing from, are numerous.

cern

Reaction score
Then you aren’t acknowledging when the transformation in the process begun.
a few yers ago, but especially after the faile 2015 season. then dak over tony and bye bye dez. this was Stephen's handiwork.
True but the characters have changed.

I want to take it all in and decipher for myself. I sway different directions pending the issue and circumstance. But information and knowledge is king even if you don’t arrive at a sound summation.
you are entitled to be as depressed as you can stand. you can understand our problems with other nations, but what have you ever done to correct the problems? the question is rhetorical. I think i'm smart enough to see the world's problems, but I know I can't do anything about it on a global scale. so I send my money to st. jude children's research hospital to get that warm, fuzzy feeling.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
a few yers ago, but especially after the faile 2015 season. then dak over tony and bye bye dez. this was Stephen's handiwork.

you are entitled to be as depressed as you can stand. you can understand our problems with other nations, but what have you ever done to correct the problems? the question is rhetorical. I think i'm smart enough to see the world's problems, but I know I can't do anything about it on a global scale. so I send my money to st. jude children's research hospital to get that warm, fuzzy feeling.
“ few years ago” is vague. I acknowledged Stephens work in Cap Mgmt. But I’m speaking to the overall vision of the team building culture. We saw a shift in priorities when Garrett took over.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When he made that comment at the coaches' table, I rewound it back to see their reaction. It was one of resignation. It lead me to believe that the owner engages with the coaches meetings a lot more than I had thought. If you get the chance to watch it, look for when they first sit down, Garrett is at the head of the table, as you would expect the HC to be, and Booger was to his right. All eyes were on Booger.

I thought back to that line he threw out when he came to Dallas, "from jocks to socks" but didn't really think he meant the coaching part of it. Then I watched the SEC film "Before They Were Cowboys" about Booger, Johnson and Switzer at AR and learned something new. Switzer was instrumental in not only Johnson's desire to coach but Booger's as well but he was more money driven and coaches didn't make close to what they make now. This has been a suppressed desire of Booger's since he was a player and the driving force behind buying a NFL team.

I've said this many times, get out of the GM chair and become the HC, it's more admin than real coaching and if he had good coaches around him, he might be pretty good at it. Be a renaissance man, be the latter day Papa Halas or Paul Brown. Hell, the coaches probably pay more attention to him than Garrett now anyway, they're watching the ventriloquist's mouth move.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey Coach. Long time no talk.

I'm sure there is some level of no accountability, but I still don't think the coaching staff really knows how to take advantage of players strengths. I think you're right about players knowing who the actual coach/boss is. That to me undermines the respect that the head coach should be getting.
I think that's why Parcells demanded total control of the team, coaches, players and scouts.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Inspiration. That is what gets men to follow other men. Great leaders inspire their men through example. Garrett diverting blame, will never achieve that.

I've been an employer for nearly 30yrs. I've never gotten better results from an increase in pay. A pat on the ***, good communication, & leading by example, has always netted better results. The examples I'm drawing from, are numerous.
I agree and have similar circumstances and experience with motivators for people to excel. However, fear was present in real performers and it was not being fearful of me but of not reaching their objective and for some of them, disappointing me. I think Landry instilled that kind of fear, they wanted to please him.

I got into management back in the late 70's and that adage "doesn't matter if they like you, they must respect you". I thought 'hey, I'm their boss, they have to respect me'. Well, many mistakes later I learned my most valuable lesson about management, liking me was crucial. I began to use more of my personality and not the one I had adopted as a "manager" and a task driver and started to work on being a relationship driver instead.

I began to apply the simplest rule of sales to management. People will buy from people they like and buy more of it.