The missing ingredient to success

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The defense is what is missing an ingredient, and the defense is coached by Rob MARINELLI … figure it out from there.
Our defense is left vulnerable if we aren’t controlling TOP. And if our opponent has the lead and can pound the rock .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I vote for someone outside of the organization, who has more NFL experience than just working for his daddy.

But we're gonna get Stephen because the greatest job qualification in Jerry's World is nepotism.
Yep and this is a mom and pop franchise.

We can even get the smartest sibling in football operations. Jerry jr is VP of Sales and Marketing . That’s where the priories are.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That, my friend, is a fait accompli. And I do not think he will hire one but Garrett might fit in that area with McClay, if he's still there. Be like Co-Assistant GM's.
I don’t think the kids will run it like Daddy does.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s what your post spurred from me. I’m just catching up. Been napping:)
I made a remark about the "missing ingredient" being oregano. Maybe you are thinking cilantro might be a better fit?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I made a remark about the "missing ingredient" being oregano. Maybe you are thinking cilantro might be a better fit?
I have no idea. I’m not allowed much in the kitchen . If I can’t heat it up in microwave or throw on the barbi outside then I’m going for take out. The stove and oven off limits .

Asklesko

Reaction score
I think it goes beyond coach and GM. The roster is good so in my opinion GM is not the issue. This coach is terrible no doubt but even if the replace him the main issue will stand...

Jerry Jones and the culture he created. Marketing over Winning football. Optics over truth. Zero accountability for the players

The culture issue is not going to go away.

The Star has really gone to Jones's head

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Fear, wears many, many faces. In this everyone gets a trophy day of the NFL player role, the only fear for most all of these guys would be either forsaking their money, IE fine the crap out of them for stupidity, or benching them for the sake of the embarrassment it would present to any of the main starters to have to sit and watch from the sidelines, all the while knowing the fans knew why. Screaming, yelling accomplishes little to nothing except maybe bringing resentment into the factor. No, I say fine the crap out of them, and benching if they can't conform. Oh, and make contracts read, if for any reason they do get benched, no money for a game not played. Never going to happen I know, this is a league of HEY we don't need no full pad practice's, were all pros here... and yet they show up like on Sunday night and for the most part, fans would have been better off being treated to a pop warner game by how a lot of these "pros" fluffed tackles and whiffed at air, or tried running straight into a wall of d linemen instead of trusting his instincts....right, pros my back side. As far as the so called coaches on this team of pros, I'm done squawking over it... 7 games left to see if ANY of these blow hards have the manhood to go put it all on the line and bring this team some small bit of respectability back to it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Star has really gone to Jones's head
To Jerry’s and really Jerry Jr’s credit because he’s been the architect ( overlooking operations)behind the stadium and most everything outside of football operations.

The Star is a magnificent facility and all of the attachments. State of the art. Everything Jerry has done with the Cowboys is 1st class except for football operations.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fear, wears many, many faces. In this everyone gets a trophy day of the NFL player role, the only fear for most all of these guys would be either forsaking their money, IE fine the crap out of them for stupidity, or benching them for the sake of the embarrassment it would present to any of the main starters to have to sit and watch from the sidelines, all the while knowing the fans knew why. Screaming, yelling accomplishes little to nothing except maybe bringing resentment into the factor. No, I say fine the crap out of them, and benching if they can't conform. Oh, and make contracts read, if for any reason they do get benched, no money for a game not played. Never going to happen I know, this is a league of HEY we don't need no full pad practice's, were all pros here... and yet they show up like on Sunday night and for the most part, fans would have been better off being treated to a pop warner game by how a lot of these "pros" fluffed tackles and whiffed at air, or tried running straight into a wall of d linemen instead of trusting his instincts....right, pros my back side. As far as the so called coaches on this team of pros, I'm done squawking over it... 7 games left to see if ANY of these blow hards have the manhood to go put it all on the line and bring this team some small bit of respectability back to it.
Everything is pointing towards us missing the playoffs and this team petering out. Good news for some is it will bring about changes in off season.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow

You can listen to radio thru internet or XM Sirius as well as paper but I still read hard copy. And yes I follow Cowboys on FB and get dinged from other sites like DMN, dc.com( our old stomping grounds).

I’m not a Twittler or Instagram but many of the Social Media following always quoting like you see fans use here. Not including personal friends and family texting. It’s kinda tough to ignore it all.

Where exactly are you gathering info and updates from. Just here? Lol

C’mon Man. I’m an old fart too but up with the times. Are you in touch with the world at all? Ha
I know I can listen to the radio, even on the radio but I do not like radio, I like music so I have XM Sirius as well as Apple Music and Amazon. I spent 25 years managing jocks, they don't have anything left that I want to hear. You are talking when you could be playing music, shut up, play music. Now, I like you.

I use Google news, MSN, WSJ and Apple News and like to read different sources on the same topic. Amazing how opinions vary. Amazing how some have opinions where they're not warranted.

I use NFL.com, ESPN.com and some others for sports sources. But I do not watch ESPN or NFLN because they have annoying people. I used to be all about pregame shows but they polled me and asked me who could they add to get me to stop watching and then did it. 5 dead guys would be better on CBS but how could you tell the difference, FOX is completely annoying with Bradshaw, Strahan and Long and that fake laugh, ESPN is boring, NFLN has Irvin and Sanders, MNF is awful, and Namath would have to get drunk to kiss Suzy now as she has no lips, both pregame and in game and that leaves SNF which is just OK.

The local newspaper here is a weekly and more about the ladies mahjong tournament, golf escapades and classifieds. I did see a guy that I recognized in the obits but it was too late to tell anyone about it.

My wife was into facebook and got me into it for a while but it bored the hell out of me and people who I didn't want as friends in high school, I didn't want now either. They were older and uglier and needy, they wanted too many friends. I do not find the details of my day to be that interesting so someone else's and what they had at dinner at Applebee's didn't trip my switch.

To answer your question, yes, I am in touch with the world but try to ignore the part I don't like. I much prefer CC world of enticing libations, rainbows, lollipops, unicorn and my dogs. You will notice unicorn is singular as I've only seen one. Seen him a lot but it's the same one, name is Albert.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Ive said this before.
I have no doubt players like and respect Garrett.
but they DO NOT FEAR HIM the way Landry,Johnson and Parcells were.
IF a change were ever made...I hope some of that fear returns.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know I can listen to the radio, even on the radio but I do not like radio, I like music so I have XM Sirius as well as Apple Music and Amazon. I spent 25 years managing jocks, they don't have anything left that I want to hear. You are talking when you could be playing music, shut up, play music. Now, I like you.

I use Google news, MSN, WSJ and Apple News and like to read different sources on the same topic. Amazing how opinions vary. Amazing how some have opinions where they're not warranted.

I use NFL.com, ESPN.com and some others for sports sources. But I do not watch ESPN or NFLN because they have annoying people. I used to be all about pregame shows but they polled me and asked me who could they add to get me to stop watching and then did it. 5 dead guys would be better on CBS but how could you tell the difference, FOX is completely annoying with Bradshaw, Strahan and Long and that fake laugh, ESPN is boring, NFLN has Irvin and Sanders, MNF is awful, and Namath would have to get drunk to kiss Suzy now as she has no lips, both pregame and in game and that leaves SNF which is just OK.

The local newspaper here is a weekly and more about the ladies mahjong tournament, golf escapades and classifieds. I did see a guy that I recognized in the obits but it was too late to tell anyone about it.

My wife was into facebook and got me into it for a while but it bored the hell out of me and people who I didn't want as friends in high school, I didn't want now either. They were older and uglier and needy, they wanted too many friends. I do not find the details of my day to be that interesting so someone else's and what they had at dinner at Applebee's didn't trip my switch.

To answer your question, yes, I am in touch with the world but try to ignore the part I don't like. I much prefer CC world of enticing libations, rainbows, lollipops, unicorn and my dogs. You will notice unicorn is singular as I've only seen one. Seen him a lot but it's the same one, name is Albert.
I agree about ESPN, NFLN and all the pregame noise. Just awful. Don’t watch either.

Sounds like you are picking and choosing what you want to hear instead of letting it all roll in.

I’m one of the few I guess who goes out to fetch the paper in the morning . I enjoy my morning ritual . First thing I do. And watches the local and national news on TV. Old fashioned in that regard.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
First of all, a little background. I spent most of my career training salespeople and sales managers and part of that deals with what motivates people. Not just the people that worked for me but the people they were trying to convince to make a change. And that's the root of sales, asking people to make change, one of the single hardest things for them to do.

A lot of research has been done with what motivates people to make a change. Is it the desire to gain or the desire to avoid pain? In my experience, the avoidance of pain is far greater because the perception of that is real and gain is yet to be realized.

CC, what's you point? Glad you asked. What's missing with the Dallas Cowboys and has been except when Johnson and Parcells were in place? FEAR

Under the Joneses, where is the fear of failure? That fear is far more motivating for players than the desire to win. That is the driving force in comebacks and the reason the other team doesn't stop the comeback, they do not have enough fear.

If a player doesn't do his job with the Cowboys, what happens? Did you catch Booger in All or Nothing making excuses for Elliott because "he's been through a lot"?

The only coaching change that can really make a difference is one where the HC is allowed to use fear. As mild mannered as Phillips was, he wanted to at least increase fines but was not allowed to do so.

Have you asked yourself why was Parcells able to take Campo's team and turn that around in his first season? Enter fear. Then ask yourself, how was Phillips able to take Parcells team and turn that around? Exit fear. Fear isn't a constant, it has to be used by those who know when to press it and when to back off. Too much fear, risk a shutdown. Not enough fear, risk complacency and good enough is good enough.

Our problemo, mi amigos, is how does fear come to the Cowboys when the owner wants a happy house?

BTW, that Vikings game. Which team do you think had the fear of losing. The team that has the GM that makes excuses for the players or the team that has the HC that openly told his team "no one cares you're beat up and playing on 5 days rest"? All comes down to the same thing, getting the best out of your team and fear has to be present to accomplish that.

If we're getting psychological, I think it's sunk cost. Jerry has been hanging his hat on the dream of Garrett as the Landry That Jerry Made to justify himself as a football guy in his own eyes.

To dump Garrett is to dump that dream, and admit to another *decade* of failure with the Cowboys. He did not groom Landry 2, ushering decades of Cowboy dominance. He just wasted the team that Parcells built, and is on the verge of wasting another team that could legitimately compete for a SB.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
First of all, a little background. I spent most of my career training salespeople and sales managers and part of that deals with what motivates people. Not just the people that worked for me but the people they were trying to convince to make a change. And that's the root of sales, asking people to make change, one of the single hardest things for them to do.

A lot of research has been done with what motivates people to make a change. Is it the desire to gain or the desire to avoid pain? In my experience, the avoidance of pain is far greater because the perception of that is real and gain is yet to be realized.

CC, what's you point? Glad you asked. What's missing with the Dallas Cowboys and has been except when Johnson and Parcells were in place? FEAR

Under the Joneses, where is the fear of failure? That fear is far more motivating for players than the desire to win. That is the driving force in comebacks and the reason the other team doesn't stop the comeback, they do not have enough fear.

If a player doesn't do his job with the Cowboys, what happens? Did you catch Booger in All or Nothing making excuses for Elliott because "he's been through a lot"?

The only coaching change that can really make a difference is one where the HC is allowed to use fear. As mild mannered as Phillips was, he wanted to at least increase fines but was not allowed to do so.

Have you asked yourself why was Parcells able to take Campo's team and turn that around in his first season? Enter fear. Then ask yourself, how was Phillips able to take Parcells team and turn that around? Exit fear. Fear isn't a constant, it has to be used by those who know when to press it and when to back off. Too much fear, risk a shutdown. Not enough fear, risk complacency and good enough is good enough.

Our problemo, mi amigos, is how does fear come to the Cowboys when the owner wants a happy house?

BTW, that Vikings game. Which team do you think had the fear of losing. The team that has the GM that makes excuses for the players or the team that has the HC that openly told his team "no one cares you're beat up and playing on 5 days rest"? All comes down to the same thing, getting the best out of your team and fear has to be present to accomplish that.
To quote Bones from the Star Trek re-boot, "Fear of death is what keeps us alive".

While I don't disagree that fear is a powerful motivator, ultimately, the issue is holding individuals - coaches, players, player units - accountable.

I always dreaded that conversation with execs that began with, "you failed to meet your key performance indicators and here is how this will play out". I was definitely a-fearing.