CFZ The mystery of Jalen Tolbert

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
When Jalen Tolbert was drafted in the third round last spring, I didn’t expect 60 catches for 800 yds…but I also expected better than 2 receptions for 12 yards, and only being active for 8 of 13 games. Then at a critical moment in the packers loss, his senseless lining up offsides is still unbelievable…even for a rookie.

So what’s up with Tolbert? I know he’s green, but Michael Gallup was a 3rd round pick in 2018 and despite a learning curve, he still caught 33 passes for 507 yds and 2 TDs. Tolbert is barely getting on the field, much less catching passes.

This isn’t a 7th round long shot. Tolbert was drafted to play. That’s what the FO said the day he was drafted. In a year where the Cowboys haven’t been loaded at WR, Tolbert certainly had an opportunity.

So what gives? Any insight on the mystery of Jalen Tolbert?
Hopefully he just needs seasoning.
Hate to miss on your 3rd round picks, but it happens.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
When Jalen Tolbert was drafted in the third round last spring, I didn’t expect 60 catches for 800 yds…but I also expected better than 2 receptions for 12 yards, and only being active for 8 of 13 games. Then at a critical moment in the packers loss, his senseless lining up offsides is still unbelievable…even for a rookie.

So what’s up with Tolbert? I know he’s green, but Michael Gallup was a 3rd round pick in 2018 and despite a learning curve, he still caught 33 passes for 507 yds and 2 TDs. Tolbert is barely getting on the field, much less catching passes.

This isn’t a 7th round long shot. Tolbert was drafted to play. That’s what the FO said the day he was drafted. In a year where the Cowboys haven’t been loaded at WR, Tolbert certainly had an opportunity.

He’s a rookie. Some, most, take awhile to find their footing in the NFL. Playing in front of 80,000 people and 20 million watching at home is not an easy thing to do I would assume. Especially if you’re a skill player where the cameras are always on you. Give him another year.

CWR

Reaction score
He’s a rookie. Some, most, take awhile to find their footing in the NFL. Playing in front of 80,000 people and 20 million watching at home is not an easy thing to do I would assume. Especially if you’re a skill player where the cameras are always on you. Give him another year.

In recent years we've seen awesome production from rookie wrs. That was never the norm though. Although I suspect the premier guys coming out will continue to excel.

817Gill

Reaction score
Pickens has had a decent rookie season 40 catchs, 600 yards, and 2 TDs.
He’s a first round talent though, only reason he went in round 3 was character concerns. Some people had him as the best WR in the draft physically, but yes he has.

Kind of excluded from the list for me due to his 1st round pedigree but I’ll give it to ya lol.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

He's obviously a disappointment.
And not helped by Brown breaking through this year.
And really not helped by Ty Hilton signing.

Barring injuries, I can't see a reason for Tolbert to get a snap on offense the rest of the year. With Hilton signing Tolbert is *at best* the 5th WR

exciter

Reaction score

WR is notorious for being slow to develop, Tolbert played in a spread offense in the sun belt league. Doubt he’d ever ran anything close to a pro style route…he was going to need some development if you read between the lines of the camp reports. Jerry is always overly optimistic and still was probably thinking at least some of that impact would come as a punt returner… out the window with Turpin signing. Also towards the end of camp it was reported that they had him learn all 3 WR positions and it had been a bit overwhelming. When have they ever done that before with a rookie receiver. Lamb they had focus on the slot… Gallup the Y I think. Doing that would indicate to me that they were hoping he could at best backup the 3 positions later in the season and that this was pretty much a developmental season. Right around the trade deadline there was a quote from WRs coach Robert Prince that “his routes were starting to come alive” so they seem to at least be focusing on this issue (again… spread offense)! Velus Jones was taken about 10 spots before and has 3 rec for 24 yards. Danny Gray about 10 spots behind and has 1 rec for 10 yards. David Bell was the only other 3rd round receiver he has 23 receptions functioning solely from the slot.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's no mystery to me. The guy who wanted Taco Charlton over TJ Watt and put a 2nd round value on Trysten Hill, recommended Tolbert with that pick.

Lucky to have him. In McClay I trust.

quickccc

Reaction score
None of the 3rd round WR’s have done squat this year, I can guarantee that they will not all be busts.

By all the reports, he was a bit overwhelmed with the mental part. Regardless, this years crop of mid-round WR’s have all had slow starts. I’m not willing to write Tolbert off after a slow rookie season, gotta give 2-3 years before really knowing.

1) Other teams having issues with their own 3rd rd WRs ... that's their own problems. We have to address our own as why a guy with a 2nd rd grade, cannot
get onto the field. We already signed on a vet FA wideout that was having that issue in Pittsburgh.
2) At least Browns rookie WR 3rd rd pick Davis Bell has his 23 catches and almost 200 yards vs .. Tolbert's mere 2 lone catches...:confused:

jrumann59

Reaction score
Maybe Hilton could help him, this team really misses a vet WR that knows the game, CeeDee, Gallup, Brown etc are still learning hard to teach when you don't even know what you don't know.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Signing TY Hilton pretty much seals the deal on the team’s opinion of him.
I don't get this. Tolbert is WR5 and a rookie. Someone you are counting on for the future.

Hilton isn't in the teams future. This year and probably (maybe) next.

About the time Hilton leaves Tolbert will be ready to take over.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe Hilton could help him, this team really misses a vet WR that knows the game, CeeDee, Gallup, Brown etc are still learning hard to teach when you don't even know what you don't know.

This is Gallup's 5th year and Brown's 6th. How many years do you need in the league to be a vet capable of mentoring younger players?

Beaker42

Reaction score
...you know how the draft works. You win some and lose some.

I also thought of him being in the likes of Gallup, Cedric and even Lamb.

Right now, he's a back up Jag.
To be fair to him, he's less than a back-up JAG.

Zordon

Reaction score
Probably doesn't know the playbook. Even when he played in the preseason games he didn't look special to me.