CFZ The mystery of Jalen Tolbert

JustChip

Reaction score
WR is notorious for being slow to develop, Tolbert played in a spread offense in the sun belt league. Doubt he’d ever ran anything close to a pro style route…he was going to need some development if you read between the lines of the camp reports. Jerry is always overly optimistic and still was probably thinking at least some of that impact would come as a punt returner… out the window with Turpin signing. Also towards the end of camp it was reported that they had him learn all 3 WR positions and it had been a bit overwhelming. When have they ever done that before with a rookie receiver. Lamb they had focus on the slot… Gallup the Y I think. Doing that would indicate to me that they were hoping he could at best backup the 3 positions later in the season and that this was pretty much a developmental season. Right around the trade deadline there was a quote from WRs coach Robert Prince that “his routes were starting to come alive” so they seem to at least be focusing on this issue (again… spread offense)! Velus Jones was taken about 10 spots before and has 3 rec for 24 yards. Danny Gray about 10 spots behind and has 1 rec for 10 yards. David Bell was the only other 3rd round receiver he has 23 receptions functioning solely from the slot.
The draft report posted earlier mentioned drops 3 times - not someone I’d want returning punts. We saw what happened when Turpin muffed this past game.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
there is no mystery, either he can’t play or we don’t know how to use him…I never liked pick

Hadenough

Reaction score
Good question! Noah Brown is the #2 wr on this team at this point. We could say Gallup has had a recovery year. Maybe Tolbert is having trouble with the playbook. Have to ask Big Mike!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Its no mystery he sucks. Maybe he develops next offseason but as of right now hes worse than taco.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I was all for the pick before they took him based on who was left on the board knowing a receiver was in order . I can’t figure out why he doesn’t get any PT while they scour the streets to grab TY Hilton . He has to regroup for 23, this year looks wasted .

I thought slot when they picked him , perfect target 15- 20 yards downfield while 88 and 13 are covered . Noah Brown has been like a rock this year , not going anywhere making tough catches . Certainly eats into any reps Tolbert may have gotten . He may flourish , on another team .

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I would surmise he's similar to Cole Beasley in one respect, he was just overwhelmed by the NFL. Nearly everybody says they're surprised at the speed of the NFL game, remember Beasley actually left the team initially, but did come back to play at least decently.

Hopefully Tolbert will be the same....

Cmac

Reaction score
If he can't get on the field with a bit more action........he is expendable. Not impressed because there hasn''t been anything to see.

RoboQB

Reaction score
The kid can't even line up properly.
He's a ball in high grass... lost.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
When Jalen Tolbert was drafted in the third round last spring, I didn’t expect 60 catches for 800 yds…but I also expected better than 2 receptions for 12 yards, and only being active for 8 of 13 games. Then at a critical moment in the packers loss, his senseless lining up offsides is still unbelievable…even for a rookie.

So what’s up with Tolbert? I know he’s green, but Michael Gallup was a 3rd round pick in 2018 and despite a learning curve, he still caught 33 passes for 507 yds and 2 TDs. Tolbert is barely getting on the field, much less catching passes.

This isn’t a 7th round long shot. Tolbert was drafted to play. That’s what the FO said the day he was drafted. In a year where the Cowboys haven’t been loaded at WR, Tolbert certainly had an opportunity.

So what gives? Any insight on the mystery of Jalen Tolbert?

Big guy at small college. Needs to acclimatize

Mannix

Reaction score
After having a terrible camp, we saw him severely alligator arm the first pass throw him…that is what’s engrained in my mind…if he can’t get on the field with THIS WR Corp, he has to be a bust.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When Jalen Tolbert was drafted in the third round last spring, I didn’t expect 60 catches for 800 yds…but I also expected better than 2 receptions for 12 yards, and only being active for 8 of 13 games. Then at a critical moment in the packers loss, his senseless lining up offsides is still unbelievable…even for a rookie.

So what’s up with Tolbert? I know he’s green, but Michael Gallup was a 3rd round pick in 2018 and despite a learning curve, he still caught 33 passes for 507 yds and 2 TDs. Tolbert is barely getting on the field, much less catching passes.

This isn’t a 7th round long shot. Tolbert was drafted to play. That’s what the FO said the day he was drafted. In a year where the Cowboys haven’t been loaded at WR, Tolbert certainly had an opportunity.

I can only suspect his injury is the key element. And then Noah Brown came on strong, then Gallups return didn’t leave many opportunities once he did become available. Now with Washington’s return Tolbert is way down the pecking order. Not to mention our TE’s have been bright as well.

Macnalty

Reaction score
If it ends up being a whiff, better than a first or second round whiff.
I agree, it is rare they miss something like this, especially since McClay has been involved. I am still holding out for him to make the transition.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

My guess is he has a low football IQ and the NFL lights are just too bright for the young man. His physical gifts were enough to make him shine at South Alabama, but the NFL is a job and right now Jalen Tolbert has not figured out how to be a professional athlete.

Einstein

Reaction score
So far, I'd go as far to say as a complete bust. Couldn't keep us from getting TY Hilton as a 4th WR. He's young, so maybe he'll figure it out.

pitt33

Reaction score
I’m in the Tom Landry camp who gave players three years to develop. He would cut them loose if they didn’t produce.

cmoney23

Reaction score

I'd say that South Alabama to the NFL is a BIG jump.

Guys struggle.

Chris Carter and Roddy White jump out as WRs who struggled as rookies but ended up great. We will see what kind of worker he is... Is he in the building learning and grinding? IDK.