The myth of Dak compared to reality

HungryLion

Reaction score
I can say youre looking at it from a biased lens as well

Poor Accuracy: Really? Do I really have to delve into this? Did you ignore that 20 min long video of those Dak throws to Dez? Ima just leave you with this here
p61A1rJ.jpg

Poor Leadership: Telling your star receiver you need to leave the ball in his facemask so he can catch it is poor leadership. Especially when said receiver hasnt uttered a word about his QBs poor play

Panicking: Youre going to tell me with a straight face that Dak is calm in the pocket under pressure? How often do you see Dak step up in the pocket when theres pressure? He constantly does that goofy spin move where He turns away from his receivers.

Its sad that Dak is free of criticism from you stans

I criticized Dak’s play in my post that you just quoted.

Don’t be disingenuous it’s a bad look for you.

So that one quote outweighs the countless players and coaches that have FOR YEARS been saying what a great leader Dak is? That one quote outdoes all of that obvious leadership that is plain as day to see? That’s garbage.

Panicking? First of all in my post I said the poor pocket presence is a fair criticism in my post. Second of all, poor pocket awareness is now considered panicking? Really? You haven’t been watching all the game winning drives? You haven’t been watching all the big plays late in close games in the 4th quarter? Against divisional rivals? In the playoffs? You watch those performances late in close and important games and say that’s somebody who is panicking?

The late performances in the Green Bay and Seattle playoff games? That’s panicking? LOL come
On man be real.

And yes Dak struggles with how accuracy at times. I wouldn’t say it’s poor overall though. Inconsistent more than anything else. I can also post video of Dak dropping absolute dimes on difficult passes all over the field too.

Dak’s has footwork/mechanics and pocket awareness, which I admitted were weaknesses, are what leads to the inconsistent accuracy, at times.

But again, the arguments about Dak panicking? About being a bad leader? That’s pure BS nonsense man. The numbers AND the eye test prove that.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
not myth all sides are correct but the way they exaggerate their point here is all wrong lol

Daks both good and both has many holes in his game..im not hard core supporter nor hater but I do know im ok with keeping him but not for over 25mil per..thats the issues, his next contract needs to be the way Russ got his he got solid but not highest paid contract and now has earned the big one..IMo they have similar ways they entered the League, question marks and upside that both are growing about the same rate, Russ has had what 3 year head start but look at theor comps year one - year 4 etc and very similar.. Wilson just lucked out to come onto team with a Coach, defense, and RB already to make a run and just did enough to get the big wins early on but his game didnt differ from Daks IMO..they are very similar guys and now RW had that breakout season last year yet this time his team failed him..Ironic he won SB before he was ready(like Big Ben) but now that hes at his best the team is falling apart a bit and now trade rumors??

jnday

Reaction score
I swear some of you guys are just intentionally belligerent about this stuff.

So his rookie year doesn't matter, but year number two defines him?

Even if his rookie year was an outlier, logic would still suggest that the truth of what Dak might be is somewhere between a stellar rookie year and a "touch below average" sophomore season.

By NFL standards, if you can't work with that, then you don't deserve to be running/coaching/etc. an NFL team. You shouldn't need generational QB talent to have more success than division championships.
This is his third year stats from last season. Yes, all this fuss over the 18th rated QB in the league. His rookie year means nothing. He will never be able to duplicate it or pass it.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I criticized Dak’s play in my post that you just quoted.

Don’t be disingenuous it’s a bad look for you.

So that one quote outweighs the countless players and coaches that have FOR YEARS been saying what a great leader Dak is? That one quote outdoes all of that obvious leadership that is plain as day to see? That’s garbage.

Panicking? First of all in my post I said the poor pocket presence is a fair criticism in my post. Second of all, poor pocket awareness is now considered panicking? Really? You haven’t been watching all the game winning drives? You haven’t been watching all the big plays late in close games in the 4th quarter? Against divisional rivals? In the playoffs? You watch those performances late in close and important games and say that’s somebody who is panicking?

The late performances in the Green Bay and Seattle playoff games? That’s panicking? LOL come
On man be real.

And yes Dak struggles with how accuracy at times. I wouldn’t say it’s poor overall though. Inconsistent more than anything else. I can also post video of Dak dropping absolute dimes on difficult passes all over the field too.

Dak’s has footwork/mechanics and pocket awareness, which I admitted were weaknesses, are what leads to the inconsistent accuracy, at times.

But again, the arguments about Dak panicking? About being a bad leader? That’s pure BS nonsense man. The numbers AND the eye test prove that.
First, if you read the post I was co-signing, he said Dak panics when he is pressured. That has nothing to do with GW drives. Maybe panic is the wrong word, but I definitely dont see calmness in the pocket when he is pressured. You and others have agreed that his mechanics break down when this occurs.

And the Dez quote whether u like it or not, does in fact show poor leadership. At least in that moment it did.

And im not going to argue poor accuracy. Because if the countless of plays/video clips dont show you this, then there is no point in arguing with you. I mean his scouting report alone disagrees with your own assessment:

Beat up this year thanks to poor protection. When he wasn't being sacked, he was being hit hard. Not as competitive a rusher in 2015. Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll. Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers. Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Everybody knows and understands that our OL was not as good last year as they have been in the past. Now, having said that, it's not all on them. Dak does not help himself in that area a lot of times and yes, the Offensive Coordinator hasn't always helped in the past. But Dak is often slow to make his reads, he does hold the ball too long a lot of times and it's really frustrating when he does this, only to check down short for little to no yardage or a loss and he doesn't break the pocket enough IMO. Now that's just an honest analysis of what I see.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Completion % isn't a measure of accuracy, and his YPA is poor considering his high Completion %.

His numbers are absolutely indicative of a dink and dunk passer, but that has as much to do with this chicken-poop offense as it does Dak.
A person would need to complete passes to have a higher completion percentage. While some want to point to it being short passes they also don't account for passes that receivers dropped when it hit them in the hands.

Don't get me wrong Dak needs to improve.......he will because he is only finished 3 seasons in the NFL and still developing. He isn't a terrible QB at all is what I'm saying, he is really good though and the hate/ dislike or whatever he gets is silly to me. Every single pass he throws gets critiqued and seems some are just waiting for a bad throw or incomplete to bash him.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
One persons myth is another persons altered state of reality. For me the reality is all the QB's compared have been on other teams with different O-lines, different OC's, different HC's and different game plans and that is far too many uncontrolled variables. The one really accurate comparison, and there is only 1 IMO, is to Romo 2013 and 2014. Same HC, same OC's, same O-lines, same game plans. Show me Romo 2012, 2013 and 2014 to Dak 2016, 2017 and 2018 and then we have a valid comparison. The only difference is a different RB but both were/are stud RB's
I see your point but we also have to remember Romo was a fully developed QB by then and Dak has just finished his 3rd season.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
First, if you read the post I was co-signing, he said Dak panics when he is pressured. That has nothing to do with GW drives. Maybe panic is the wrong word, but I definitely dont see calmness in the pocket when he is pressured. You and others have agreed that his mechanics break down when this occurs.

And the Dez quote whether u like it or not, does in fact show poor leadership. At least in that moment it did.

And im not going to argue poor accuracy. Because if the countless of plays/video clips dont show you this, then there is no point in arguing with you. I mean his scouting report alone disagrees with your own assessment:

Beat up this year thanks to poor protection. When he wasn't being sacked, he was being hit hard. Not as competitive a rusher in 2015. Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll. Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers. Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.
Dak is cool at times but it seems when it's late in the game. I would say you are right that he does seem to panic at times ( or thats what it looks like) but that's mostly in the first half of games and sometimes 3rd quarter. When he does panic his footwork and mechanics go to crap and thats when he has those bad passes. I don't think it's an accuracy issue, it's a footwork and mechanics issue.

zerofill

Reaction score
And yes Dak struggles with how accuracy at times. I wouldn’t say it’s poor overall though. Inconsistent more than anything else.

But, inconsistent normally = poor... Especially when we are talking about an NFL QB.

It was brought up earlier, that Linehan wasn't the problem with Dak. I actually agree... Since his rookie year is always brought up as the holy grail, Dak's supporters can't blame Linehan.

How many times during the Romo years did we throw a fit about Linehan always wanting to pass the ball until 2014? Linehan wants to throw the ball, he wants to pass, he wants huge chunk plays.
The scheme was the way it was, based on the ability of the QB. Now, I don't like Linehan... but our scheme is limited by the arm of the guy behind center, that is the truth.

His intangibles as so many call them of leadership, etc... I don't even care about those if he is inconsistent.

I always remember a video where Kurt Warner was asked about Dak. He stumbled around anything related to skill during this, and only focused on intangibles such as leadership.
There is a reason why great QBs do that when trying to convey their thoughts on Dak.

I guarantee they know a lot more about the position than any of us.

pansophy

Reaction score

Just to say it, it's possible Linehan was telling Dak to get rid of the ball faster to help the OL. Wouldn't explain 3rd down success though, which was awful before Cooper and improved to really bad after.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Feels false pressure....ducks out of the pocket unnecessarily...all the time. Yet some will be amazed w/ this throw. Doesn't see the field...guys will be wide open...just like in this play. Cooper is open underneath...Dak just didn't see him. Dak is his own worst enemy. It's as if he doesn't know what to do w/ the football...and just makes things up on the fly.

jwilliams_dallas-cowboys_3-dallas-cowboys-to-remember-ahead-of-2019-nfl-draft.gif
1, that's not false pressure. He clearly gets the jump as defenders break through the middle.

Oh, and he threw a TD, lmao.

HungryLion

Reaction score

It’s fair to question his movement when pressured. I don’t think panic is the right word. But he DOES definitely need to learn how to slide around and maneuver better in the pocket, instead of looking to bail out of the pocket. That’s for sure.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I see your point but we also have to remember Romo was a fully developed QB by then and Dak has just finished his 3rd season.

Yes that's true, Romo was fully developed by then and the stats will still be fairly supportive of Prescott and it's virtually the same offense. Some are quick to point out that Romo didn't have Zeke BUT he did have Murray who had a remarkable season in 2014.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yes that's true, Romo was fully developed by then and the stats will still be fairly supportive of Prescott and it's virtually the same offense. Some are quick to point out that Romo didn't have Zeke BUT he did have Murray who had a remarkable season in 2014.
Oh i agree with you. Just pointing out that Dak is still developing and the faster we get him under contract the better.