The new “blah, blah, blah” voice of this team

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he has more weight in his recommendations. JJ wanted Johnny football bad and I was surprised he didn’t draft him. Maybe his son talked him out of it. Do you think it was JJs pick for Lamb this year. Not saying your wrong or I am right but drafts have gotten better. Either he is taking more advice or JJ has gotten better over the years at making the decisions. And I haven’t seen that gamble with the second round pick in a few years. I think Jaylon was the last one.
. I don’t ever trust media reports fully unless they contain actual quotes from a named source, but the reports were, as I recall, that Stephen and Garrett talked Jerry down from Manziel. I would be surprised if McClay was also part of that, but the mere fact Jerry had to be talked down shows he still had the final say. I don’t believe for a second Jerry has relinquished that, I just think he’s more willing to listen to and factor in the thoughts of others. Those “others” I assume are Stephen, the head coach, and McClay.

glimmerman

Reaction score
. I don’t ever trust media reports fully unless they contain actual quotes from a named source, but the reports were, as I recall, that Stephen and Garrett talked Jerry down from Manziel. I would be surprised if McClay was also part of that, but the mere fact Jerry had to be talked down shows he still had the final say. I don’t believe for a second Jerry has relinquished that, I just think he’s more willing to listen to and factor in the thoughts of others. Those “others” I assume are Stephen, the head coach, and McClay.
I believe and have heard JJ say he still gets final say. He smiled while he said it, Lol. But like you said I think he is listening to his scouts and McClay is really good at looking at it and putting it all together and helping make the draft board. What ever we are doing let’s keep doing it. The Lamb pick could have been a MM pick. He likes getting the best players instead of best for the scheme.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get it, Stephen and Jerry should operate in abject silence as some sort of penance. Why stop there, why don't you have Stephen and Jerry both shirtless walking around the stadium flogging themselves with olive branches. The NFL expects public and media communication from team owners and executive management as well as the GM and head coach. Heck, even the players have historically commented on the outlook of the team, waxing positive about the next game or season. Without getting on a soap box there certainly are more things to think about right now than Stephen and Jerry yapping from the past to the present.
Yeah....I don’t want to see either of those guys shirtless.

kskboys

Reaction score
I believe and have heard JJ say he still gets final say. He smiled while he said it, Lol. But like you said I think he is listening to his scouts and McClay is really good at looking at it and putting it all together and helping make the draft board. What ever we are doing let’s keep doing it. The Lamb pick could have been a MM pick. He likes getting the best players instead of best for the scheme.
Lamb is a WR, so it wasn't too hard to talk Jerry into that one!!!!!!

Our first two picks were WR/Cb, and those are the positions Jerry loves to draft.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Lamb pick could have been a MM pick. He likes getting the best players instead of best for the scheme.
The Lamb pick was a no brainer. Top 10 talent at 17? Imagine if you passed on that....again! Randy Moss backlash written all over it.

I do agree about McCarthy wanting the best players. Loved reading that before the draft. After a couple more drafts like the recent one, imagine all the young talent!

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know Jerry Jones is by his own design, the centerpiece and de-facto face of this franchise. He’s as hooked on TV cameras and microphones as a crack addict. He can talk for 30 minutes and make absolutely no sense.

But in the last 8 years, Stephen Jones has slowly become more the real spokesman of what the team is doing. I still believe Jerry owns the final say with this team, but Stephen’s comments tend to make a little more sense, and often are the better predictor of what this team is going to do. Even with Stephen more up front, the results haven’t been a lot different than the previous two decades. Unlike his old man though, he tends to speak in complete sentences with mostly proper syntax.

But where SJ is a chip off the old block is the empty BS that rolls off his tongue like a used car salesman instead of a straight shooting NFL executive.

Here are some samples of quotes from Stephen Jones since 2012, and how often he tries to sell the fans a lot the same way his dad does.
  • Sept, 2012-Stephen Jones: “We’ve got to get it done. We are very motivated. We feel like we are right there. I totally feel like we’ve got the right guy in Jason Garrett.”

• Aug. 2013- "We're convinced we've got the secret sauce to put this thing back together again and win championships," Stephen Jones said, “We can always be better.”

• Nov 2013- (Regarding his “secret sauce” comment) “It was a careless comment that quite candidly, I wish I could take it back”, Jones told 105.3-FM The Fan this week. “I was having a light moment with some of the [reporters] and I let that slip.”

• April, 2014- “The only thing the cap issues have do with us is we can’t be big players in free agency. I think history will tell you that being a big player in free agency is overrated.”
  • Aug. 2015- “We believe we are right there to win another championship.”

• Aug. 2016 “I mean, I’m worried every day that we don’t get a championship. You worry about that all the time. That’s why we’re very aggressive in trying to get there, whatever it takes. It’s just not acceptable in our minds that we haven’t been able to win a championship in so long. I do worry about that. I worry about that all the time.”
  • May, 2018-on paying Dak when times comes: “Yeah, you know at that position, you gotta pay- it kind of is what it is,” Jones said Wednesday at the team’s annual golf tournament. “You kind of, when the time comes, [expect to pay him]. I know Dak is going to have a good year this year. I hope it’s up there. It’s going to be as he deserves. He was a fourth-round pick. No one deserves to get paid fairly more than he does.”

• Oct. 2019- after the loss to the jets: “I still think we can have a great year and feel good about it and feel great about Jason Garrett and his staff and feel like we’ll go to work here this week and move forward.”

• Nov, 2019 after embarrassing Thanksgiving Day loss to Bills: “We’ll move forward. We’ve all had adversity before and we’ll see how this group responds. We have a large amount of confidence that they’re gonna respond in a very good way, that we’ll go out and win this East and get in the tournament.”

• June, 2020- “No one wants to sign Dak Prescott more than we do.”
I’m not being critical of Stephen for being all over the map in his comments or about the Dak contract. I just wish both the Jones boys would shut their mouths for a while. Other than the Bungles, there isn’t another NFL front office executive with this much responsibility to win, and this poor a playoff record to show for it, that still has their job.

So I wish Stephen and Jerry both would just be quiet. What they say rarely means that much regarding winning football games anyway.
I think it's some weird temporomandibular joint (TMJ) thing where the God of genetics bequeathed upon them the jawbone of a jackass. As a result, the words that pour out of their mouths are asinine.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Stephen and Jerry keep telling you who they are each and every chance they get.

The reason there are so many instances of their flawed comments and logic, as evidenced in the OP's post, is that there is zero accountability for their poor football decisions.

Yet, there are fans still who try to make excuses for them. "McClay runs the draft"...McClay told you how they make decions in the aftermath of the Taco decision over TJ Watt. "McCarthy is in charge".. Sure, McCarthy is the one true amazing coach who finally convinced the Jones' to concede power after a quarter century of them always demanding they have the final say on roster decisions.

My latest favorite is that it was all Garrett. As if Garrett was fooling the Jones for 10 years and they were just innocent bystanders and completely unaware of his obvious and continued ineptness.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The Lamb pick was a no brainer. Top 10 talent at 17? Imagine if you passed on that....again! Randy Moss backlash written all over it.

I do agree about McCarthy wanting the best players. Loved reading that before the draft. After a couple more drafts like the recent one, imagine all the young talent!
I like it because it keeps the talent coming in as 1 or more is leaving for bigger money. Soon we will have a decision on keeping Gallup or Cooper. But we will still have Lamb and whom ever we decide to keep of the other 2. Gallup may be to expensive to sign and we will be on the back part of Coopers contract. But I like Gallup.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Lamb is a WR, so it wasn't too hard to talk Jerry into that one!!!!!!

Our first two picks were WR/Cb, and those are the positions Jerry loves to draft.
We needed CB. After Byron left. And this is our others final rookie year. If our new CB works out I wouldn’t be surprised to see another high round CB picked..

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen and Jerry keep telling you who they are each and every chance they get.

The reason there are so many instances of their flawed comments and logic, as evidenced in the OP's post, is that there is zero accountability for their poor football decisions.

Yet, there are fans still who try to make excuses for them. "McClay runs the draft"...McClay told you how they make decions in the aftermath of the Taco decision over TJ Watt. "McCarthy is in charge".. Sure, McCarthy is the one true amazing coach who finally convinced the Jones' to concede power after a quarter century of them always demanding they have the final say on roster decisions.

My latest favorite is that it was all Garrett. As if Garrett was fooling the Jones for 10 years and they were just innocent bystanders and completely unaware of his obvious and continued ineptness.
Very well said. The Garrett scapegoating has become almost humorous. As if he magically deceived them with some kind of super power. Even at the end, Jerry had to be almost forced to let Garrett go. Jerry’s biggest dream was taking credit for developing his own “personal Tom Landry”, using a guy who still hasn’t learned how to use timeouts or game plan very well.

kskboys

Reaction score
I wonder exactly how much power and influence McClay has behind the scenes.

Logic tells me he calls the shots and allows to look like it's those two, and is paid accordingly.

This roster looks a little too ok for two guys that truly arent qualified to put it together.

I think Jerry was really running things back when the roster was truly lean and the drafts were a total mess.
We fail in the playoffs every year due to weaknesses that have not been addresses. No, it doesn't.

kskboys

Reaction score
We needed CB. After Byron left. And this is our others final rookie year. If our new CB works out I wouldn’t be surprised to see another high round CB picked..
Of course. However, the facts remained that we took Jerry's fav positions, so he was in al likelihood easy to get on board.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
There is more ‘blah, blah, blah’ in the comments of those who are upset about their favorite team not winning the super bowl.

Look at the players and their actions on the field speak volumes.

That team last year was talented enough to go to the playoffs. The coaches and players failed. Yes, Jerry and Stephen deserve blame for hiring and keeping Garrett as coach. Garrett was an abject failure as a leader and planner. Some of my bosses are as clueless and ineffective as Garrett but I still get my job done. I have a say as to how I do my job and speak up when idiot management throws out hair-brained ideas and plans.

Bottom line: the players just were not motivated enough and mailed in the effort too many times. Other teams’ players worked harder and wanted it more.

The players failed and management did not hold them accountable. Coaches failed and the GM did not hold them accountable until this year when he fired them.

The owner is the GM here in Dallas. That is not going to change in my opinion. Stands are full, people are watching so complaining about it is basically blah, blah, blah. The team is talented enough to win.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When someone won't shut up, what do you do? If that someone is a family member or friend, not so easy to do but I do my best to avoid them.

I am not forced to listen, read or watch anything they say anymore than the politicians or talking heads on TV, I have control as I can avoid them. And I do, very successfully.

I made the conscious decision and effort to avoid anything having to do with the Joneses because they were making it too difficult to remain a fan of the team. History and laundry can go just so far.

So, I decided if I was to remain a fan of this team, I would avoid exposure to the Joneses except during home games, when we have to look at their obligatory shots from the suite. But I do get a bonus sometimes and see them unhappy because the team stepped in it again. And I used to get a kick out of Booger's eyeballs floating in his head when he had a load on but even that got old.

It is not a requirement that I like the owner or management of a team and also not a requirement that I get any exposure from same. The only exposure I get to them comes from here, same with Bayless, Sharpe, Herd and Smith as I don't pay any attention to them either.

However, this does come with a price. Describing me as a rabid Cowboys fan back in the say wouldn't do it justice, I was crazed and no fun for anyone to watch a game with and I am glad I grew out of that. It's not winning that's taken it's toll as that wasn't why I became a fan, it's the whole enchilada. The Joneses, the coverage of a very mediocre franchise on the field and the must cover status of this team that has eaten away at my fanhood every year. It will eventually die and, truth be told, if not for DC.com, The Zone and you folks, I would already be gone. I watch the game with no passion, I don't even get a good respectable cussing in and I was known as the best cussword stringer around.

The Dallas Cowboys are not a football team, I am not sure what they are but they're not a football team. We had a saying in radio "it's what happens between the songs". With the Cowboys, it's what happens between the games and seasons. Never has any sports franchise been so undeserving of the coverage they receive.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When someone won't shut up, what do you do? If that someone is a family member or friend, not so easy to do but I do my best to avoid them.

I am not forced to listen, read or watch anything they say anymore than the politicians or talking heads on TV, I have control as I can avoid them. And I do, very successfully.

I made the conscious decision and effort to avoid anything having to do with the Joneses because they were making it too difficult to remain a fan of the team. History and laundry can go just so far.

So, I decided if I was to remain a fan of this team, I would avoid exposure to the Joneses except during home games, when we have to look at their obligatory shots from the suite. But I do get a bonus sometimes and see them unhappy because the team stepped in it again. And I used to get a kick out of Booger's eyeballs floating in his head when he had a load on but even that got old.

It is not a requirement that I like the owner or management of a team and also not a requirement that I get any exposure from same. The only exposure I get to them comes from here, same with Bayless, Sharpe, Herd and Smith as I don't pay any attention to them either.

However, this does come with a price. Describing me as a rabid Cowboys fan back in the say wouldn't do it justice, I was crazed and no fun for anyone to watch a game with and I am glad I grew out of that. It's not winning that's taken it's toll as that wasn't why I became a fan, it's the whole enchilada. The Joneses, the coverage of a very mediocre franchise on the field and the must cover status of this team that has eaten away at my fanhood every year. It will eventually die and, truth be told, if not for DC.com, The Zone and you folks, I would already be gone. I watch the game with no passion, I don't even get a good respectable cussing in and I was known as the best cussword stringer around.

The Dallas Cowboys are not a football team, I am not sure what they are but they're not a football team. We had a saying in radio "it's what happens between the songs". With the Cowboys, it's what happens between the games and seasons. Never has any sports franchise been so undeserving of the coverage they receive.
Great post. The last quarter century, this team has been more about the “sizzle” than the steak, and as you eloquently described Coach, they have become “what happens between the games”. Of course they have. Because if all we talked about were the results on the field, there wouldn’t be much to crow about.

Every time the annual reminder comes out that this team is “the most valuable franchise in sports”, it feels like the Jones boys are mocking the fans who keep buying their mediocre product.

Last edited:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
...Because if all we talked about were the results on the field, there wouldn’t be much to crow about.

There is plenty to discuss about what happens on the field, the plays, the performance. One does not need to 'crow' about something. A simple, unbiased, football-educated discussion about players, performance, strategy is much better than any crowing or crying.