The new “blah, blah, blah” voice of this team

bandfan

Reaction score
We all know Jerry Jones is by his own design, the centerpiece and de-facto face of this franchise. He’s as hooked on TV cameras and microphones as a crack addict. He can talk for 30 minutes and make absolutely no sense.

But in the last 8 years, Stephen Jones has slowly become more the real spokesman of what the team is doing. I still believe Jerry owns the final say with this team, but Stephen’s comments tend to make a little more sense, and often are the better predictor of what this team is going to do. Even with Stephen more up front, the results haven’t been a lot different than the previous two decades. Unlike his old man though, he tends to speak in complete sentences with mostly proper syntax.

But where SJ is a chip off the old block is the empty BS that rolls off his tongue like a used car salesman instead of a straight shooting NFL executive.

Here are some samples of quotes from Stephen Jones since 2012, and how often he tries to sell the fans a lot the same way his dad does.
  • Sept, 2012-Stephen Jones: “We’ve got to get it done. We are very motivated. We feel like we are right there. I totally feel like we’ve got the right guy in Jason Garrett.”

• Aug. 2013- "We're convinced we've got the secret sauce to put this thing back together again and win championships," Stephen Jones said, “We can always be better.”

• Nov 2013- (Regarding his “secret sauce” comment) “It was a careless comment that quite candidly, I wish I could take it back”, Jones told 105.3-FM The Fan this week. “I was having a light moment with some of the [reporters] and I let that slip.”

• April, 2014- “The only thing the cap issues have do with us is we can’t be big players in free agency. I think history will tell you that being a big player in free agency is overrated.”
  • Aug. 2015- “We believe we are right there to win another championship.”

• Aug. 2016 “I mean, I’m worried every day that we don’t get a championship. You worry about that all the time. That’s why we’re very aggressive in trying to get there, whatever it takes. It’s just not acceptable in our minds that we haven’t been able to win a championship in so long. I do worry about that. I worry about that all the time.”
  • May, 2018-on paying Dak when times comes: “Yeah, you know at that position, you gotta pay- it kind of is what it is,” Jones said Wednesday at the team’s annual golf tournament. “You kind of, when the time comes, [expect to pay him]. I know Dak is going to have a good year this year. I hope it’s up there. It’s going to be as he deserves. He was a fourth-round pick. No one deserves to get paid fairly more than he does.”

• Oct. 2019- after the loss to the jets: “I still think we can have a great year and feel good about it and feel great about Jason Garrett and his staff and feel like we’ll go to work here this week and move forward.”

• Nov, 2019 after embarrassing Thanksgiving Day loss to Bills: “We’ll move forward. We’ve all had adversity before and we’ll see how this group responds. We have a large amount of confidence that they’re gonna respond in a very good way, that we’ll go out and win this East and get in the tournament.”

• June, 2020- “No one wants to sign Dak Prescott more than we do.”
I’m not being critical of Stephen for being all over the map in his comments or about the Dak contract. I just wish both the Jones boys would shut their mouths for a while. Other than the Bungles, there isn’t another NFL front office executive with this much responsibility to win, and this poor a playoff record to show for it, that still has their job.

So I wish Stephen and Jerry both would just be quiet. What they say rarely means that much regarding winning football games anyway.
Honestly, not one thing on here that doesn't get said by every front office in some form or another every year... Not defending anyone just that they all spew pablum that is eagerly lapped up by the idiots in the press corp....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
1eg1w1.jpg.cf.jpg

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is plenty to discuss about what happens on the field, the plays, the performance. One does not need to 'crow' about something. A simple, unbiased, football-educated discussion about players, performance, strategy is much better than any crowing or crying.
You’re right- there hasn’t been much to “crow” about for a long time. And that’s not “crying“...it’s just true.

MikeB80

Reaction score
New? Stephen was Anointed in 2005 when Parcells gave credibility to him. Parcells complimented him a few times between 05 and 06 and said in effect, he was a good listener who wanted to learn and was all about winning. This was in that moment in time when Jerry was arguing with Parcells over having camp in Oxnard because he could sell more soda and merchandise in San Antonio. People/media took this as Stephen is different.

he was never different. He is exactly the same and has proven it time and time again. One of my favorites is the training camp of 2008 where stephen did multiple interviews during camp saying they were so loaded with talent that they anticipated trading a number of their players for picks. They didn't.

Parcells built these guys a culture and a team and it basically saved a miserable franchise that had a stadium falling apart, could not win and was losing the locals to disinterest and disgust....while the mavericks were becoming the only game in town.

The thanks parcells got since then from these two is that they have tried to diminish what he did here repeatedly. During wade's press conference when he was hired they made a couple of jokes about Parcells. It was a pretty sad look.

anyway, Stephen Jones has been the guy behind the scenes telling everyone they are going to be run like the steelers/packers/partriots with home grown guys and staying out of free agency...meanwhile He treated 2/3 of his two best players of the last 20 years like utter garbage and kicked them out in Ware and Romo and then signed guys like Pacman, Greg Hardy and Aldon Smith...then promoted them as changed men. Lol.

The less we here from either of these two the better.

also on the McCarthy is now in charge stuff, he bowed down immediately when he kept Kellen Moore and gave him play calling duties so as we go forward if the team is not a top team jerry and stephen will dictate everything that happens......just like they did to parcells...they were impatient and forced stuff on him he did not want on the roster and created early tension in 04 with the peerless price signing and eddie george....Then of Course Owens.

I can't wait to hear this years Secret sauce or We have so much talent we will be grabbing draft picks all over speech. Funny stuff.

ShortRound

Reaction score
By nature the Jones are business men, what they’ve lacked is a true football mind. I think all of those quotes reflect that, no true self criticism but pumping of the brand.

MikeB80

Reaction score
By nature the Jones are business men, what they’ve lacked is a true football mind. I think all of those quotes reflect that, no true self criticism but pumping of the brand.

at the end of the day relative to, ambiguous or not ambiguous, ********** is the ultimate prize and never get mad at your money.

also

Sky Mirror.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New? Stephen was Anointed in 2005 when Parcells gave credibility to him. Parcells complimented him a few times between 05 and 06 and said in effect, he was a good listener who wanted to learn and was all about winning. This was in that moment in time when Jerry was arguing with Parcells over having camp in Oxnard because he could sell more soda and merchandise in San Antonio. People/media took this as Stephen is different.

he was never different. He is exactly the same and has proven it time and time again. One of my favorites is the training camp of 2008 where stephen did multiple interviews during camp saying they were so loaded with talent that they anticipated trading a number of their players for picks. They didn't.

Parcells built these guys a culture and a team and it basically saved a miserable franchise that had a stadium falling apart, could not win and was losing the locals to disinterest and disgust....while the mavericks were becoming the only game in town.

The thanks parcells got since then from these two is that they have tried to diminish what he did here repeatedly. During wade's press conference when he was hired they made a couple of jokes about Parcells. It was a pretty sad look.

anyway, Stephen Jones has been the guy behind the scenes telling everyone they are going to be run like the steelers/packers/partriots with home grown guys and staying out of free agency...meanwhile He treated 2/3 of his two best players of the last 20 years like utter garbage and kicked them out in Ware and Romo and then signed guys like Pacman, Greg Hardy and Aldon Smith...then promoted them as changed men. Lol.

also on the McCarthy is now in charge stuff, he bowed down immediately when he kept Kellen Moore and gave him play calling duties so as we go forward if the team is not a top team jerry and stephen will dictate everything that happens......just like they did to parcells...they were impatient and forced stuff on him he did not want on the roster and created early tension in 04 with the peerless price signing and eddie george....Then of Course Owens.

I can't wait to hear this years Secret sauce or We have so much talent we will be grabbing draft picks all over speech. Funny stuff.
Very well said Mike. The Jones boys are the best salesmen in the NFL. It’s their wheelhouse. Unfortunately, they also fancy themselves as good judges of NFL talent and roster building, which they clearly are not. That’s the short summary of the problems of this franchise in one tidy enchilada- great businessmen with lots of money too arrogant to admit they don’t know how to build a champion by themselves.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I still can’t understand why the Cowboys didn’t get Dak signed immediately after the 2018 season.

The foot-dragging on Jerry’s part could end up being the 2nd biggest mistake he’s made as Cowboys’ owner if Dak goes out and has a monster season this year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Very well said Mike. The Jones boys are the best salesmen in the NFL. It’s their wheelhouse. Unfortunately, they also fancy themselves as good judges of NFL talent and roster building, which they clearly are not. That’s the short summary of the problems of this franchise in one tidy enchilada- great businessmen with lots of money too arrogant to admit they don’t know how to build a champion by themselves.
Amazingly though they do enough to field a mediocre team with a few stars that keeps them relevant. Barely.

And the rest they can take on publicly with their Reality TV crap selling hope and BS to the fans.

About half the league which runs normal football operations should be ashamed most seasons they can’t field a better team. But at least they have hope they could eventually turn it around.

For Cowboy fans it’s mostly like Groundhog Day.

th

kskboys

Reaction score
There is more ‘blah, blah, blah’ in the comments of those who are upset about their favorite team not winning the super bowl.

Look at the players and their actions on the field speak volumes.

That team last year was talented enough to go to the playoffs. The coaches and players failed. Yes, Jerry and Stephen deserve blame for hiring and keeping Garrett as coach. Garrett was an abject failure as a leader and planner. Some of my bosses are as clueless and ineffective as Garrett but I still get my job done. I have a say as to how I do my job and speak up when idiot management throws out hair-brained ideas and plans.

Bottom line: the players just were not motivated enough and mailed in the effort too many times. Other teams’ players worked harder and wanted it more.

The players failed and management did not hold them accountable. Coaches failed and the GM did not hold them accountable until this year when he fired them.

The owner is the GM here in Dallas. That is not going to change in my opinion. Stands are full, people are watching so complaining about it is basically blah, blah, blah. The team is talented enough to win.
Then stop complaining.

kskboys

Reaction score
I still can’t understand why the Cowboys didn’t get Dak signed immediately after the 2018 season.

The foot-dragging on Jerry’s part could end up being the 2nd biggest mistake he’s made as Cowboys’ owner if Dak goes out and has a monster season this year.
For the millionth time, THEY TRIED.

What I can't understand is how you didn't notice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score

I lost any faith whatsoever in Stephanie when he was amazed that anyone thought we needed DT help in the 2012 draft.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know Jerry Jones is by his own design, the centerpiece and de-facto face of this franchise. He’s as hooked on TV cameras and microphones as a crack addict. He can talk for 30 minutes and make absolutely no sense.

But in the last 8 years, Stephen Jones has slowly become more the real spokesman of what the team is doing. I still believe Jerry owns the final say with this team, but Stephen’s comments tend to make a little more sense, and often are the better predictor of what this team is going to do. Even with Stephen more up front, the results haven’t been a lot different than the previous two decades. Unlike his old man though, he tends to speak in complete sentences with mostly proper syntax.

But where SJ is a chip off the old block is the empty BS that rolls off his tongue like a used car salesman instead of a straight shooting NFL executive.

Here are some samples of quotes from Stephen Jones since 2012, and how often he tries to sell the fans a lot the same way his dad does.
  • Sept, 2012-Stephen Jones: “We’ve got to get it done. We are very motivated. We feel like we are right there. I totally feel like we’ve got the right guy in Jason Garrett.”

• Aug. 2013- "We're convinced we've got the secret sauce to put this thing back together again and win championships," Stephen Jones said, “We can always be better.”

• Nov 2013- (Regarding his “secret sauce” comment) “It was a careless comment that quite candidly, I wish I could take it back”, Jones told 105.3-FM The Fan this week. “I was having a light moment with some of the [reporters] and I let that slip.”

• April, 2014- “The only thing the cap issues have do with us is we can’t be big players in free agency. I think history will tell you that being a big player in free agency is overrated.”
  • Aug. 2015- “We believe we are right there to win another championship.”

• Aug. 2016 “I mean, I’m worried every day that we don’t get a championship. You worry about that all the time. That’s why we’re very aggressive in trying to get there, whatever it takes. It’s just not acceptable in our minds that we haven’t been able to win a championship in so long. I do worry about that. I worry about that all the time.”
  • May, 2018-on paying Dak when times comes: “Yeah, you know at that position, you gotta pay- it kind of is what it is,” Jones said Wednesday at the team’s annual golf tournament. “You kind of, when the time comes, [expect to pay him]. I know Dak is going to have a good year this year. I hope it’s up there. It’s going to be as he deserves. He was a fourth-round pick. No one deserves to get paid fairly more than he does.”

• Oct. 2019- after the loss to the jets: “I still think we can have a great year and feel good about it and feel great about Jason Garrett and his staff and feel like we’ll go to work here this week and move forward.”

• Nov, 2019 after embarrassing Thanksgiving Day loss to Bills: “We’ll move forward. We’ve all had adversity before and we’ll see how this group responds. We have a large amount of confidence that they’re gonna respond in a very good way, that we’ll go out and win this East and get in the tournament.”

• June, 2020- “No one wants to sign Dak Prescott more than we do.”
I’m not being critical of Stephen for being all over the map in his comments or about the Dak contract. I just wish both the Jones boys would shut their mouths for a while. Other than the Bungles, there isn’t another NFL front office executive with this much responsibility to win, and this poor a playoff record to show for it, that still has their job.

So I wish Stephen and Jerry both would just be quiet. What they say rarely means that much regarding winning football games anyway.
I thought you had a new job!!!

75boyz

Reaction score

Standing Ovation for this one bro. Agree with all of your summary. Your next to last paragraph description on keeping Moore is one I share emphatically. In fact, have been labeled a conspiracy theorist for even thinking Moore may follow in the Garrett footsteps of becoming the next HC in Dallas. The gall of me, lol.

Anyways, great post.

75boyz

Reaction score
Amazingly though they do enough to field a mediocre team with a few stars that keeps them relevant. Barely.

And the rest they can take on publicly with their Reality TV crap selling hope and BS to the fans.

About half the league which runs normal football operations should be ashamed most seasons they can’t field a better team. But at least they have hope they could eventually turn it around.

For Cowboy fans it’s mostly like Groundhog Day.

th

Outstanding description. Loved how you described how the rest of the league should be ashamed of themselves explanation as well as the GroundHog Day reference.

Most Excellent post.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jones FO seems to do the opposite of most NFL GMs and FO executives. The NFL executives whose jobs depend on winning have the philosophy of “under-selling and over-delivering“. Jerry and Stephen see “over-selling” as equally important as the game’s outcome. Sizzle matters as much as the steak. If the “stayjum” is full, and people are watching, that’s a win regardless of the scoreboard outcome at game’s end.

Winning? Sure that would be nice. But they see the cash registers ringing as a win every bit as much as an on field win. This is the inherent flaw in having your top football executive’s jobs not being tied to the success of the team on the field. The Jones family FO has “lifetime contracts” regardless of the team’s W-L record.