News: The next best free agent move the Dallas Cowboys should make

CCBoy

Reaction score
Bears probably was a better choice with Mack over there....I just wouldn't want to play for a team with Tribusky and Nick Foles as quarterbacks......seems like that season is about to be a mess before I even starts trying to figure that situation out.

Was Dallas in the ball park?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm inclined to suspect that Griffen is pricing himself out of the market for most teams to welcome him aboard, despite his talents being what they are. His value will only depreciate with the passage of time. Other teams aside from Dallas evidently realize as much, otherwise he'd already have been acquired by one of those needing help at DE.

We'll see if the Cowboys have a DE candidate in mind to draft when the opportunity arises. It wouldn't be surprising if they and some other teams have the same intentions in mind with a backup plan to acquire Griffen if one isn't available when their turn comes due. Some young and promising ones should likely be available in the early rounds.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah and it happens every year. Thought that Golden Tate deal the Giants did last year was stupid. Then Cobb gets him a stupid deal. NFL makes organizations spend money and they spend foolishly.

And teams like the Bears and Texans are rudderless ships and train wrecks. But for veteran players like Cobb and Quinn, their money is just as green as anyone else's. Both guys had to be shocked in hearing just how much they were being offered, and that's why they immediately agreed to terms before they could hang up the phone.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I agree. When I heard we were going to have that many free agents I wasn’t sure how we were going to retain guys and then improve are weaknesses. Imo, they have let the right people leave and have retained the right people.
Agreed.
Many fans just completely overlook the free agent realities the team faced this year. Keeping as many as we did, I’m impressed

I think many felt that Quinn and Cobb we’re both fools gold. Quinn did not grade our well in any way other than sacks and Cobb, while productive but those numbers won’t be too difficult to replace

Both are also on the wrong side of 30 and got big contracts.

there’s only so much you can do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bears probably was a better choice with Mack over there....I just wouldn't want to play for a team with Tribusky and Nick Foles as quarterbacks......seems like that season is about to be a mess before I even starts trying to figure that situation out.

And prior to this, he's always talked about what a poor fit he was for a 3-4 defense. And his statistics bear that out. And yet, the Bears signed him, and he signed with them.

2kZG3uo.gif

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was news to me. I know they wanted Quinn but I didn't hear about any numbers. I can't imagine they were anywhere close to what the Bears offered. I'd be interested to know though.

I have to doubt they were close. There was certainly no hesitation in Quinn signing to indicate there was any internal debate with him. When the Bears made that stupid offer, he jumped on it before they could come to their senses.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Actually, the addition of the Minnesota defensive end would help the Cowboys depth and rotation. A variety of strengths could then be inter worked and schemes/blitzes added, that just don't quack and waddle like a duck.
I do understand the added depth thing but he reportedly wants premier rush end money like what Quinn got and I'm just not ok with that with the production he has, thus far, demonstrated.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Quinn knows if he has a very good to premiere DE on the other side he will get his. Question is doesn't he and mack play the same position?
Agreed.
Many fans just completely overlook the free agent realities the team faced this year. Keeping as many as we did, I’m impressed

I think many felt that Quinn and Cobb we’re both fools gold. Quinn did not grade our well in any way other than sacks and Cobb, while productive but those numbers won’t be too difficult to replace

i am hoping pollard in the slot and out of the backfield will help

MaineBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys came away with both Cooper and Dak...and sorry, as to off season, that is a strong foot moving forward. The team is actually about the 4th best in the NFL...at this point.

There is only so much money a team can spread around. Except for Frederick's retirement, the team made reasonable as well as smart moves.

All but six Cowboys free agents have been signed or with other teams. You really think that 26 free agents is easily retained...or that managing annual changes is done haphazardly?

I sure don't...!

So what was your point in saying the Cowboys came away with Cooper and Dak ? One is average, one disappears in road games, and both are overpaid. HaHa and DT’s may not be bad.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agreed.

I agree. They can get better if they can get a more well rounded DE than Quinn was and someone who can contribute the same as Cobb.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And prior to this, he's always talked about what a poor fit he was for a 3-4 defense. And his statistics bear that out. And yet, the Bears signed him, and he signed with them.

2kZG3uo.gif
I Forgot Bears run a 3-4.........so he's basically gonna be their OLB or I at least hope for his sake is. Seems like a poor fit whether its on the line or as linebacker in the 3-4......his best years have come in the 4-3.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Quinn knows if he has a very good to premiere DE on the other side he will get his. Question is doesn't he and mack play the same position?

i am hoping pollard in the slot and out of the backfield will help
Man your guess is as good as mine where Quinn will fit........I'd assume if they run a 3-4 he'd have to play OLB on either side.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I have to doubt they were close. There was certainly no hesitation in Quinn signing to indicate there was any internal debate with him. When the Bears made that stupid offer, he jumped on it before they could come to their senses.
OH yeah he and Byron. I'd assume there was a number where they'd agree to bring them back but yeah Cowboys number was probably low enough to where they didn't even have to think twice about him coming back.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OH yeah he and Byron. I'd assume there was a number where they'd agree to bring them back but yeah Cowboys number was probably low enough to where they didn't even have to think twice about him coming back.

I can describe the phone calls pretty easily, For Jones, Quinn, and Cobb:

"Who?!?!?!? They're offering HOW MUCH? Yeah! By all means! Take it before they change their minds!"

CCBoy

Reaction score
So what was your point in saying the Cowboys came away with Cooper and Dak ? One is average, one disappears in road games, and both are overpaid. HaHa and DT’s may not be bad.
If that needs to be explained to you, then just go on back into the street and play with the homies...Quality return during free agency. No doubt there, unless one has a front roll seat around the burn barrel.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
If that needs to be explained to you, then just go on back into the street and play with the homies...Quality return during free agency. No doubt there, unless one has a front roll seat around the burn barrel.

yah, i didn’t think you could explain without exposing how butt hurt you were that I called Dak and Cooper what they are. Wanna watch some game tape ? Didn’t think so...lol.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I agree. When I heard we were going to have that many free agents I wasn’t sure how we were going to retain guys and then improve are weaknesses. Imo, they have let the right people leave and have retained the right people.

Plus Poe and McCoy is a Big upgrade over Collins and whomever you want to plug in. Let's see what DL does this year. I just want the RDE to be able to bring it, seems like they are hoping Roger frees Randy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The next best free agent move the Dallas Cowboys should make
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/03/29/dallas-cowboys-next-best-free-agent-move/

...At this point, there is just one move left to solidify a great offseason for this team. The Dallas Cowboys need to sign pass rusher Everson Griffen.

Griffen is an expert sack artist. He has posted 5.5 sacks or more in every season since 2012. In five of the last six seasons, he’s finished with eight or more sacks. He is also extremely durable as he has missed just eight games since 2014. As you would imagine, this has earned Griffen a Pro Bowl nod in four of his last five seasons.

The longer Griffen is on the market, the more likely his price tag will continue to drop. That should not be of concern to the Cowboys, however, as Spotrac shows Dallas still has over $22 million in cap space. Lastly, it is important to remember that Minnesota did not release Griffen. He actually opted out of a lucrative deal in order to move on from them...

I would be all for signing Griffin and cutting Crawford. But I don't think Griffin is going to play for 10 million. This guy opted out of a decent deal with the Vikings. So its obvious he wants that one last big payday. Which means at least 3 years and probably around 15 million per year.

And then if you sign Griffin, then Gregory really just becomes an afterthought. You would waste any upside you have with Gregory.