News: The next best free agent move the Dallas Cowboys should make

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You may be right but its crazy to me. Seems like overpaying of veterans happening. Quinn and Cobb are both 30. Hell even McCoy is 32 and got a decent deal here. Seems like Griffin with his resume would've been a candidate to get overpaid as opposed to having to take a bargain deal.

I think his mental health issues (if I'm remembering correctly) have likely affected his market value, but his asking price remains high. I wouldn't be surprised if his ultimate destination isn't connected to what happens with Clowney. Once Clowney signs, Griffen becomes the best option available.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just noticed we signed McCoy to a 3-year deal and Poe a 2-year deal. Guess this could an issue with Griffen also.....we want him to sign a multi-year deal at bargain price vs he rather sign 1 year and hit the market again 2021.

We also got deals on both McCoy and Poe, and I don't think Griffen is ready to give anyone a deal yet.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The next best free agent move the Dallas Cowboys should make
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/03/29/dallas-cowboys-next-best-free-agent-move/

...At this point, there is just one move left to solidify a great offseason for this team. The Dallas Cowboys need to sign pass rusher Everson Griffen.

Griffen is an expert sack artist. He has posted 5.5 sacks or more in every season since 2012. In five of the last six seasons, he’s finished with eight or more sacks. He is also extremely durable as he has missed just eight games since 2014. As you would imagine, this has earned Griffen a Pro Bowl nod in four of his last five seasons.

The longer Griffen is on the market, the more likely his price tag will continue to drop. That should not be of concern to the Cowboys, however, as Spotrac shows Dallas still has over $22 million in cap space. Lastly, it is important to remember that Minnesota did not release Griffen. He actually opted out of a lucrative deal in order to move on from them...
That would be the coup de grace for the defensive unit.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yeah I would've wanted to keep both too. I honestly thought Quinn would be the one who would come back. He was 30......I thought we could get him back for a 2 year 20-25 million dollar deal. And due to it being a short term deal I thought we could retain him. I was way off based on that. Cobb I thought would get replaced because of the deep rookie class unless he signed a 1 year deal like last year for 6-8 million. Would've loved to bring those two back but not at that cost. Insane.

Apparently we were even close with Quinn......he chose the Bears over the Falcons.

garyv

Reaction score
Great offseason? Besides the coaching changes it hasnt been good.

Hmmmm strange comment this offseason has been very good. You lost free agent(s) Byron Jones, Quinn and one retiring Travis Frederick.
Your Defense added Dontari Poe and Gerald McCoy much greater improvement in the middle. You signed Ha Ha Clinton Dix adds stability
to the secondary. You retained both Prescott and Cooper. I really didn't care Cobb left. Slot Receivers you can find. Several factors make this
offseason better first your kicking game and special teams will be much better with Fassel than O'Quinn, McCarthy better than Garrett In all
honesty the Coaching changes make it better already. Frederick even though might be best center in league I think Looney can hold down
the fort in the middle. What I do see is a solid draft this year to plug a few other holes. I believe Jason Witten leaving is also a plus for them
Blake Jarwin much much better after the catch. He will stretch a teams defense more as the starter they can't just set there and not worry about
Witten because everyone knows he is a safety valve that doesn't run well after the catch whereas Jarwin could burn them.The true weakness
that could destroy the team is backup QB I really don't see Cooper Rush taking them to the playoffs if Dak goes down. I think a better QB is needed.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What has been bad? We've lost some and gained some? At least on defense I think it has been a wash at worst. Losing Frederick on offense was unexpected though.

But the thing we have to remember is free agency isn't over, and the draft hasn't occurred, and there is at least a chance a trade or two could happen.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No accounting for dumb organizations doing dumb things.
Yeah and it happens every year. Thought that Golden Tate deal the Giants did last year was stupid. Then Cobb gets him a stupid deal. NFL makes organizations spend money and they spend foolishly.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Its been good. To me players we lost aren't irreplaceable. Not that they weren't productive but if you need someone to not give up touchdowns and not get interception than Chido or Jourdan Lewis can do that for you with Byron. Cobb was productive but you still have plenty of playmakers on offense. Fredericks will be missed....but Looney showed he can come in and play a season for him. We lost some names.....but they didn't necessarily lose their floor. Their ceiling may have been lowered but the floor is still the same.

ultron

Reaction score
They finally addressed the DT positions and safety position. The only real loss was Byron Jones and after watching film on the CJ Henderson kid, he might actually be an upgrade over Byron. They also added a former all-pro kicker (a position that costed us numerous games last season). Greg the leg didn’t have a great season but there’s a huge difference kicking in the coliseum vs. kicking in AT&T stadium - trust me, I lived in LA & I’ve been to games in both places. Plus Greg was 42/42 on XPs last year so he can still kick.

Quinn is absolute dog shiz vs. the run and screen passes and would take himself bout of 90% of plays with his looping “pass rush” that got home a “whopping” 11 times out of 650 snaps.. he put pressure on QBs roughly ~50 times, other than that he was absolutely useless and put a ton of pressure on our LBs & they would have to overcompensate for his inability to actually play his position.

Cobb is a good slot guy, but had numerous drops and if we’re being honest the #3 slot receiver is probably the easiest position to replace and really not a big deal.

Other than that what isn’t good about it? They address two former pro-bowl DTs and a former pro-bowl Safety who has 16 picks in his career (far more than anyone else that has been in our secondary over the last decade+)

starfrombirth

Reaction score
The next best free agent move the Dallas Cowboys should make
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/03/29/dallas-cowboys-next-best-free-agent-move/

...At this point, there is just one move left to solidify a great offseason for this team. The Dallas Cowboys need to sign pass rusher Everson Griffen.

Griffen is an expert sack artist. He has posted 5.5 sacks or more in every season since 2012. In five of the last six seasons, he’s finished with eight or more sacks. He is also extremely durable as he has missed just eight games since 2014. As you would imagine, this has earned Griffen a Pro Bowl nod in four of his last five seasons.

The longer Griffen is on the market, the more likely his price tag will continue to drop. That should not be of concern to the Cowboys, however, as Spotrac shows Dallas still has over $22 million in cap space. Lastly, it is important to remember that Minnesota did not release Griffen. He actually opted out of a lucrative deal in order to move on from them...
Since when has 5.5 sacks considered expert? If any DE we have on the team has numbers that low, we have a lynch mob ready to run them out of town. I, for one, am not on board with paying the kind of money he wants for 5.5 sacks. We already have that with Crawford.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What hasn't been good about it?

We lost 10 FA's. 3 only that really may be considered losing a contributor, all other many wanted gone or may be negligible difference, depending ones point of view..
We signed 6 FA's. All will contribute
We signed 13 of our own FA's, 14 if you include A. Woods, an ERFA. More are decent core and depth guys, but some can also be replaced from the draft.
That leaves 6 FA's left on the list, which 1 may be considered a good player.

That doesn't sound like it has not been good to me. But the new staff and schemes will be the biggest gain by far. So if this team is close like last year, as well making the playoffs the year before that, they should be competitive and have a very good shot in the playoffs.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Since when has 5.5 sacks considered expert? If any DE we have on the team has numbers that low, we have a lynch mob ready to run them out of town. I, for one, am not on board with paying the kind of money he wants for 5.5 sacks. We already have that with Crawford.
You now officially qualify for a ring tapper of the year, award...a little more information was provided as well.

You don't have a decoder ring, so stay away from the 'ol burn barrel.

Don't worry, you won't begin to understand...get some 'we are the world' support.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
You now officially qualify for a ring tapper of the year, award...a little more information was provided as well.

You don't have a decoder ring, so stay away from the 'ol burn barrel.
You are so hard to understand sometimes.... so I'm just going to go with...Thanks(?).

Sydla

Reaction score
I think his mental health issues (if I'm remembering correctly) have likely affected his market value, but his asking price remains high. I wouldn't be surprised if his ultimate destination isn't connected to what happens with Clowney. Once Clowney signs, Griffen becomes the best option available.

Yeah, he had mental meltdown a couple of years ago but seems to have been fine since.

I think teams/players are waiting on Clowney at this point.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You are so hard to understand sometimes.... so I'm just going to go with...Thanks(?).
Actually, the addition of the Minnesota defensive end would help the Cowboys depth and rotation. A variety of strengths could then be inter worked and schemes/blitzes added, that just don't quack and waddle like a duck.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Apparently we were even close with Quinn......he chose the Bears over the Falcons.
Bears probably was a better choice with Mack over there....I just wouldn't want to play for a team with Tribusky and Nick Foles as quarterbacks......seems like that season is about to be a mess before I even starts trying to figure that situation out.