News: The next best free agent move the Dallas Cowboys should make

Sydla

Reaction score
You should read the thread as well. It's about you also.

You realize stash was talking about other organizations that overpaid for players, right? In this case the Dolphins and Texans overpaying for Jones and Cobb. He wasn't calling Dallas stupid, he was calling the other organizations stupid.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
The Cowboys came away with both Cooper and Dak...and sorry, as to off season, that is a strong foot moving forward. The team is actually about the 4th best in the NFL...at this point.

There is only so much money a team can spread around. Except for Frederick's retirement, the team made reasonable as well as smart moves.

All but six Cowboys free agents have been signed or with other teams. You really think that 26 free agents is easily retained...or that managing annual changes is done haphazardly?

I sure don't...!

I agree CC. I also like the two DTs Poe and McCoy that we brought in. I know they're not 21 year olds, but they're the kind of BIG strong guys we need on the DL instead of those Marinelli specials. They'll be an upgrade and help us against the run! AND we got 2 good placekickers to compete for the honors to replace that loser Maher.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The next best free agent move the Dallas Cowboys should make
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/03/29/dallas-cowboys-next-best-free-agent-move/

...At this point, there is just one move left to solidify a great offseason for this team. The Dallas Cowboys need to sign pass rusher Everson Griffen.

Griffen is an expert sack artist. He has posted 5.5 sacks or more in every season since 2012. In five of the last six seasons, he’s finished with eight or more sacks. He is also extremely durable as he has missed just eight games since 2014. As you would imagine, this has earned Griffen a Pro Bowl nod in four of his last five seasons.

The longer Griffen is on the market, the more likely his price tag will continue to drop. That should not be of concern to the Cowboys, however, as Spotrac shows Dallas still has over $22 million in cap space. Lastly, it is important to remember that Minnesota did not release Griffen. He actually opted out of a lucrative deal in order to move on from them...

Either him or a Logan Ryan and at least fill 1 of the top 2 needs. If I had to bet, I can see them paying an older guy on a 1 year deal like a Cameron Wake.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Great offseason? Besides the coaching changes it hasnt been good.

So what elite talent leaving via free agency that this team can't recover from? Losing Fredbeard due to retirement is the unknown in terms of can McGovern play center if Looney doesn't cut it.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
So what elite talent leaving via free agency that this team can't recover from? Losing Fredbeard due to retirement is the unknown in terms of can McGovern play center if Looney doesn't cut it.

Not elite but just downgraded at certain positions. Guess it's not a bad offseason but wouldnt say it was a good one either.

CCBoy

Reaction score
yah, i didn’t think you could explain without exposing how butt hurt you were that I called Dak and Cooper what they are. Wanna watch some game tape ? Didn’t think so...lol.
Straight up, don't assume...and you have contributed nothing but attitude and emotion...that simply makes your logic-insane.

You even insult stupidly...

Rayman70

Reaction score
WAS gonna say, no move. But now that Dre Kirkpatrick is being released by Cincy, sign him up! He's better than anyone we have on the roster.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I agree CC. I also like the two DTs Poe and McCoy that we brought in. I know they're not 21 year olds, but they're the kind of BIG strong guys we need on the DL instead of those Marinelli specials. They'll be an upgrade and help us against the run! AND we got 2 good placekickers to compete for the honors to replace that loser Maher.

I like the inside size and accomplishments with our two defensive tackle additions. To me, they will add a ton in skill as well as attitude. 'Tude has re-entered the arena for a Dallas team. I didn't like the concept of trying to run past opposing offensive linemen, with the exception of our defensive ends. There, bulrush is not a lost art as well.

The linebackers will be able to fill, much more easily...and even here, I wouldn't be opposed to Dallas picking a quality linebacker that flows well and covers also. I think all combined, the nickel packages are on stage and another quality corner would highlight just that also.

I love the ex-Ram kicker, myself.

:)

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Those 2 were important. Dallas might be a top 12 team. Might be contenders in another season or 2.
They are a contender now. See Philly a few years ago. Went from 5-11 to a Super Bowl victory!
How do you make a comment like that when we have a talented roster and have improved immensely in the HCing department?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
If we can get Clowney, Griffin, or the guy from Jacksonville for 8-10 million per year on a multi year deal that would be huge. Even a 1 year deal would be great.

This defensive front would really start to look formidable! I would be excited to see how they perform. Jerry knows this type of deal sales tickets. Maybe he will make it happen.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
If we can get Clowney, Griffin, or the guy from Jacksonville for 8-10 million per year on a multi year deal that would be huge. Even a 1 year deal would be great.

This defensive front would really start to look formidable! I would be excited to see how they perform. Jerry knows this type of deal sales tickets. Maybe he will make it happen.

I would not be upset at all if they went that route.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
What has been bad? We've lost some and gained some? At least on defense I think it has been a wash at worst. Losing Frederick on offense was unexpected though.

But the thing we have to remember is free agency isn't over, and the draft hasn't occurred, and there is at least a chance a trade or two could happen.
Off season patience! Tough for football fanatics.

garyv

Reaction score
They finally addressed the DT positions and safety position. The only real loss was Byron Jones and after watching film on the CJ Henderson kid, he might actually be an upgrade over Byron. They also added a former all-pro kicker (a position that costed us numerous games last season). Greg the leg didn’t have a great season but there’s a huge difference kicking in the coliseum vs. kicking in AT&T stadium - trust me, I lived in LA & I’ve been to games in both places. Plus Greg was 42/42 on XPs last year so he can still kick.

Quinn is absolute dog shiz vs. the run and screen passes and would take himself bout of 90% of plays with his looping “pass rush” that got home a “whopping” 11 times out of 650 snaps.. he put pressure on QBs roughly ~50 times, other than that he was absolutely useless and put a ton of pressure on our LBs & they would have to overcompensate for his inability to actually play his position.

Cobb is a good slot guy, but had numerous drops and if we’re being honest the #3 slot receiver is probably the easiest position to replace and really not a big deal.

Other than that what isn’t good about it? They address two former pro-bowl DTs and a former pro-bowl Safety who has 16 picks in his career (far more than anyone else that has been in our secondary over the last decade+)

I know some want Chaison and I'm not expecting Kinlaw to be there but have been wondering if their best move would be CJ Henderson at # 17

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know some want Chaison and I'm not expecting Kinlaw to be there but have been wondering if their best move would be CJ Henderson at # 17

I think that second round is the sweet spot for cornerback. After Okudah, there's a dropoff and you may be reaching for a guy like Henderson if you take him at #17, especially with the other corners who are likely to be available later.

To me, there are two pass rushers worthy of the 1st round, Chase Young and K'Lavon Chaisson, and a big dropoff after that. So if I want to get both a pass rusher and a corner? I have to go with the pass rusher first, corner I can get in round 2.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think that second round is the sweet spot for cornerback. After Okudah, there's a dropoff and you may be reaching for a guy like Henderson if you take him at #17, especially with the other corners who are likely to be available later.

To me, there are two pass rushers worthy of the 1st round, Chase Young and K'Lavon Chaisson, and a big dropoff after that. So if I want to get both a pass rusher and a corner? I have to go with the pass rusher first, corner I can get in round 2.
I want defense with every pick if possible, but if you do the math, and none of those OTs drop dramatically, and we get a break with Love and Herbert going high, and another surprise or two....someone has to drop, and just maybe one of the top WRs is there.

I'm still holding out hope for Kinlaw, but then last thing we can really do is draft by need as opposed to BPA. Even if its Wirfs, have to take him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
.....although the last thing I want w a premium pick is a corner that cant make a difference no matter what given today's rules.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want defense with every pick if possible, but if you do the math, and none of those OTs drop dramatically, and we get a break with Love and Herbert going high, and another surprise or two....someone has to drop, and just maybe one of the top WRs is there.

I'm still holding out hope for Kinlaw, but then last thing we can really do is draft by need as opposed to BPA. Even if its Wirfs, have to take him.

Sure, but you're worrying about the difference of drafting the #10 overall player vs the #11 overall player or the #13 overall player. When 11 and 13 better fit your needs, you take one of them and be glad that available talent meets need.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Sure, but you're worrying about the difference of drafting the #10 overall player vs the #11 overall player or the #13 overall player. When 11 and 13 better fit your needs, you take one of them and be glad that available talent meets need.
It's great when BPA meets need.

More than anything, they need to extend Crawford for like 4 yrs/ 50 million.

Think of the versatility. DT AND DE!!

Alright I'm sorry. Been stuck home for weeks.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's great when BPA meets need.

More than anything, they need to extend Crawford for like 4 yrs/ 50 million.

Think of the versatility. DT AND DE!!

Alright I'm sorry. Been stuck home for weeks.
Thx for the like.

You're buying beers the day they cut him!!

garyv

Reaction score

I agree 100% there is a corner out of Utah I like Johnson hes been listed in the 2nd Round