The next Defensive Coordinator will be?

Who will be the new Defensive Coordinator?

• Ron Rivera

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • Aden Durde

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Mike Zimmer

Votes: 203 75.2%
  • Wink Martindale

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Al Harris

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Other (state who in thread)

Votes: 22 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gambit

Reaction score
Its just ridiculous that here we are, 4 weeks removed from our annual playoff ouster, and we're STILL trying to sort out the DC position. Then add in the indignity of a HORRIBLE list of candidates. I've never seen a couple of billionaires take so long to do something mediocre.
It's not been that long since we had a DC opening come up.

Gambit

Reaction score
Do you know it wouldn’t surprise me if Durde got the job.

I don’t recall where I saw it, but it might’ve been NFL network in the off-season and maybe last year or the year before and there was somebody who was talking about this guy and they say anybody who meets him is absolutely blown away by him - despite being English.

High IQ guy - hard worker .
Ive read that people call him a future HC.

He had a few interviews outside of Dallas for same position

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Secondary poll.

If Mike Zimmer is hired and Al Harris leaves, would you be in favor of bringing back Dave Campo as secondary coach?

Yes

No
:laugh:

Of course, you know Al Harris has no choice in the matter. He is under contract and has never done anything but coach CBs technique and footwork. The only way he leaves is if Zimmer has his own secondary coach and fires him. If Harris is serious about a coaching career, he needs to work under different coaches and in varied schemes so he can learn more.

1942willys

Reaction score
Ive read that people call him a future HC.

He had a few interviews outside of Dallas for same position
well apparently Kellen Moore did great on his interview and he was supposedly a boy genius....

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
This was never in doubt. Zimmer was their guy if Quinn found work as a HC.

Gambit

Reaction score
well apparently Kellen Moore did great on his interview and he was supposedly a boy genius....
Which is why the apparent insistamce on an older experienced DC males little sense.

Garrett and Moore were both inexperienced and got keys to kingdom.

1942willys

Reaction score
Which is why the apparent insistamce on an older experienced DC males little sense.

Garrett and Moore were both inexperienced and got keys to kingdom.
which by themselves are arguments NOT to give inexperienced coaches big promotions

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think it's Zim all the way.........not just what brings scheme/coaching-wise.

** He's spent the last couple of years in the college ranks. Big plus on draft day, especially late rounds

**Perhaps he can help land a couple of Vikes free agents or cuts and yes I know some never played for him.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/extensive-list

Here is the list of Vikings set to hit free agency in March, per Spotrac:

• QB Kirk Cousins
  • OLB Danielle Hunter
  • OLB Marcus Davenport
  • QB Josh Dobbs
  • LB Jordan Hicks
  • OT Oli Udoh
  • G Chris Reed
  • K Greg Joseph
  • DE Jonathan Bullard
  • WR Brandon Powell
  • TE Johnny Mundt
  • TE Nick Muse
  • IOL Austin Schlottmann
  • OLB D.J. Wonnum
  • RB Cam Akers
  • DT James Lynch
  • LB Troy Dye
  • IOL Blake Brandel
  • IOL Dalton Risner
  • WR K.J. Osborn
  • DT Khyiris Tonga
  • S Theo Jackson
  • OT David Quessenb

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Its just ridiculous that here we are, 4 weeks removed from our annual playoff ouster, and we're STILL trying to sort out the DC position. Then add in the indignity of a HORRIBLE list of candidates. I've never seen a couple of billionaires take so long to do something mediocre.
How? The cowboys literally didn’t want to move on from Quinn unless he got a head coach job and the commanders were interested in Quinn and coaches who were coaching in divisional and championship games. The league rules stipulate no in person interviews for a certain time period.

They literally could not have moved faster. If you wanna gripe about the cowboys mishandling this your argument is too few candidates because of McCarthy’s lame duck status/status in general but the timing of it? No, lol.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Zimmer always has a well prepared defense that controls the run game and brings pressure in various ways, but he does play more zone defense, which is the trend in the NFL. Fangio’s defense of lining up in a 2- deep shell, disguising coverages and changing at the snap, bracketing the best receivers is the current trend. Martindale loves to blitz, loves to bring extra bodies and leave DBs in man coverage. Yes, Diggs and Bland are strong in man coverage.

If you want a happy secondary and more of what you had with Quinn, you hire Martindale. That means more emphasis on the pass rush, more blitzing, getting the ball out of the QBs hand faster, but it also hurts the run defense and leaves you vulnerable to mobile QBs because DB’s are running with receivers and not looking to the backfield.

If you want a more disciplined defense, better against the run, more fundamentally sound with less gambling, you go with Zimmer, and you get more zone coverage, which is the direction most defenses are going.

After posting a few responses about our choices at DC, I prefer Zimmer, but I’ll also hate it because every damn time I type Zimmerman (ugh), my auto correct changes it to Zimmerman. It’s driving me crazy!

Last edited:

Aven8

Reaction score
Whoever it is will also be the next head coach….half-joking :muttley:
If everyone is healthy we will be in the playoffs. Mike is a good HC. This isn’t JG walking around here anymore. Having said all that once in the playoffs he need to bring the entire team to a compound with no internet access and away from the Jones clan. Maybe fit the bill himself for all that!

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
If Mike Zimmer Is Hired As Our DC and Mike McCarthy Is Let Go After 2024 Season,Would You Be In Favor Of
Mike Zimmer As Our HC And Bringing Back Mike McCarthy As Our OC...?

Mike McCarthy As OC Under HC Mike Zimmer..... :grin::laugh::lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.