The next Defensive Coordinator will be?

Who will be the new Defensive Coordinator?

• Ron Rivera

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • Aden Durde

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Mike Zimmer

Votes: 203 75.2%
  • Wink Martindale

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Al Harris

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Other (state who in thread)

Votes: 22 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
80% have picked Zimmer, including me......................not who I would pick, but he is not the worst choice in the world.

Most years Zimmer's defenses ranked in the top 10 in both yards and points allowed.

So, there is that I guess.;)

Blackrain

Reaction score
Make your prediction. Who will we hire to replace Dan Quinn?

Not who you would hire but what they will actually do.
Unfortunately it doesn't matter who we hire it will be someone that does what Jerry wants them to do and works within his parameters.
Whoever it is will be handcuffed and only be as successful as Jerry will let them be

Zman5

Reaction score
Wade Phillips.

With Wade and MM,
We Dem Fat Boys!

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I have a feeling it will be Rivera. Jerruh will sell the whole “he’s tough and will help us stop the run” angle.

If not Rivera— then Zim for all the reasons already listed.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Over 50 votes in and not one for Martindale.
Martindale would probably be the BEST hire of that group, but also the least likely.

If I had to guess, I would think that Jerry's list looks like this (limiting myself to the list provided):

Mike Zimmer
Ron Rivera
Al Harris
Aden Durde
Wink Martindale

Gambit

Reaction score
Martindale would probably be the BEST hire of that group, but also the least likely.

If I had to guess, I would think that Jerry's list looks like this (limiting myself to the list provided):

Mike Zimmer
Ron Rivera
Al Harris
Aden Durde
Wink Martindale
Only 3 of those have had confirmed interviews.

More may come, but as far as my personal knowledge as of 5:55 am est on Feb 7 2024, neither Al Harris nor Wink Martindale have had an interview or even confirmed interest.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I don’t buy that. Mike is a damn good coach.
If you mean Zimmer, no, he is not. He's the very definition of mediocre. Check his records. His defenses have never won a championships ans we are supposed to be going all-in, right? You don't go all-in with a guy who's never won jack in over 20 years.

Plus, he sucked very badly as defensive coordinator when he was here. Those defenses were all time bad.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Zimmer always has a well prepared defense that controls the run game and brings pressure in various ways, but he does play more zone defense, which is the trend in the NFL. Fangio’s defense of lining up in a 2- deep shell, disguising coverages and changing at the snap, bracketing the best receivers is the current trend. Martindale loves to blitz, loves to bring extra bodies and leave DBs in man coverage. Yes, Diggs and Bland are strong in man coverage.

If you want a happy secondary and more of what you had with Quinn, you hire Martindale. That means more emphasis on the pass rush, more blitzing, getting the ball out of the QBs hand faster, but it also hurts the run defense and leaves you vulnerable to mobile QBs because DB’s are running with receivers and not looking to the backfield.

If you want a more disciplined defense, better against the run, more fundamentally sound with less gambling, you go with Zimmer, and you get more zone coverage, which is the direction most defenses are going.

After posting a few responses about our choices at DC, I prefer Zimmer, but I’ll also hate it because every damn time I type Zimmerman (ugh), my auto correct changes it to Zimmerman. It’s driving me crazy!
Not when he was in Dallas. He had the all time worst run defenses that gave up an NFL record for 200 yard rushers.

LysleE

Reaction score
I would like to see Wink Martindale be the next DC; I like his aggressiveness and I think Dallas has more talent on defense than the Giants, so more for him to work with.

I don’t want Zimmer because he is the past and has been out of the game for a few years; and this move would fly directly contradict Jerry’s desire to go “all in” and make a “splash hire”.

Never really been impressed with Rivera although his players seem to enjoy playing for him.

Don’t think there is a suitable internal candidate; both Durden and Harris lack experience…but given MM is in the last year of his contract, an internal hire makes the most sense logistically.

reddyuta

Reaction score
we need a new OC too,cant go on with this simple playbook and keep losing to playoffs teams

Status
Not open for further replies.