The next Defensive Coordinator will be?

Who will be the new Defensive Coordinator?

• Ron Rivera

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • Aden Durde

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Mike Zimmer

Votes: 203 75.2%
  • Wink Martindale

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Al Harris

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Other (state who in thread)

Votes: 22 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_D

Reaction score
Zimmer always has a well prepared defense that controls the run game and brings pressure in various ways, but he does play more zone defense, which is the trend in the NFL. Fangio’s defense of lining up in a 2- deep shell, disguising coverages and changing at the snap, bracketing the best receivers is the current trend. Martindale loves to blitz, loves to bring extra bodies and leave DBs in man coverage. Yes, Diggs and Bland are strong in man coverage.

If you want a happy secondary and more of what you had with Quinn, you hire Martindale. That means more emphasis on the pass rush, more blitzing, getting the ball out of the QBs hand faster, but it also hurts the run defense and leaves you vulnerable to mobile QBs because DB’s are running with receivers and not looking to the backfield.

If you want a more disciplined defense, better against the run, more fundamentally sound with less gambling, you go with Zimmer, and you get more zone coverage, which is the direction most defenses are going.

After posting a few responses about our choices at DC, I prefer Zimmer, but I’ll also hate it because every damn time I type Zimmerman (ugh), my auto correct changes it to Zimmerman. It’s driving me crazy!

If he can come in and really get a handle on the run defense the job is his! Nice write up.. and discipline really needs to be stressed here at this point.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I’m going with Vrabel. Only because I want that to happen.
One report on The Athletic implied Belichick and Vrabel were passed over for HC jobs coz of their demands turned off some GMs and/or owners.
The Titan's GM praised their new hire as someone he could work side-by-side w/o worrying about a power struggle.

Aven8

Reaction score
One report on The Athletic implied Belichick and Vrabel were passed over for HC jobs coz of their demands turned off some GMs and/or owners.
The Titan's GM praised their new hire as someone he could work side-by-side w/o worrying about a power struggle.
Welp that’s out I guess…….:(

_sturt_

Reaction score
Thought #1: I must have missed that Martindale and Harris actually ended up with interviews... or did I?

Thought #2: Who's to say that Al Harris wouldn't be given Joe Whitt's title under the next DC?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not who I want but I think they’re hiring Zimmer. I would prefer a younger up and coming talent. But those guys would be hard to recruit to Big Mac’s staff right now.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
I want Zimmer, but they're gonna go with Rivera. He'll take a discount to coach here, since he's already got the salary covered by the Commanders

Gambit

Reaction score
Thought #1: I must have missed that Martindale and Harris actually ended up with interviews... or did I?

Thought #2: Who's to say that Al Harris wouldn't be given Joe Whitt's title under the next DC?
Harris himself has said he doesn't feel ready. He teaches techniques and has not done any work on creating schemes etc.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Rivera would be my choice on that list but I fully expect Jerruh to hire Zimmer.

John813

Reaction score
Good time to hire Jason Garrett as a DC in training

Wildcat711

Reaction score
As someone else said.. would it be prudent to wait til after the SB and interview some of their coaches?

Cant be a direct swap.. but anyone can make up BS titles if they really want to.

Or will Jerry just announce it SB Sunday?

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Demarcus Ware, because why not with this FO championing dumb choices.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I think Wink Martindale is a good bet. Martindale likes to bring pressure and he likes to play man. That philosophy is familiar with the Cowboys. He'd fit right in.

Status
Not open for further replies.