CFZ The NFC East Could Surprise This Year

plymkr

Reaction score
I think the eagles will be the first team to repeat for the division in 20+ years. I don't know who Hurtz is, but Hurts is on another level and has ascended every year. What supporting cast is being taken away this year? All offensive starters are back expect 2 and the o coordinator is replaced by the qb coach who has coached him since 2021. Every year the dude progresses , every single year. I'm done betting against this dude.
They lost their offensive and defensive coordinators which will hurt the team. They also lost a lot of players on defense. All of these losses are like body blows to a boxer. It takes a toll. Also the league has more film on him. And he signed a massive deal which will slowly erode the talent they can bring in to help him. That’s what I’m basing my opinion on. Now I completely see your point and the way you see it is not wrong. I’m hoping for the Cowboys sake that I’m right but your points are valid and I hope you’re wrong for the teams sake. I’m betting against him this year but if he proves me wrong then I’ll be right with you.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Divisions been weak since 2016 besides the eagles sometimes. Lol about time the giants had a good season last year. 3rd for them this season

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I call it like I see it. Last year, many criticized my take about the Giants actually being a good football team. Indeed, I was correct about that. I also speculated that they might even be better than the Eagles. Obviously, whiffed on that speculation.

In any case, things change — every year. That's one thing that doesn't change in the NFL: it's always changing.

Injuries happen; new players get drafted; old ones retire; players get traded, some are flat out cut,. a few end up in the hoosegow or worse.

What ever happens.. pretty much everyone knows the drill.

Last offseason, everyone clamored on about, "be more like the Rams."

But wait a minute?

Isn't that called "selling out."

Once upon a time, we were like the Rams. The difference? We just weren't that good at it. We tried trading for the flashy payers and supplementing our roster. We even did a relatively good job during our worst years. Those 5-11 Campo years were bad. But we were usually more competitive than our record stated. Still, as Parcells said, you are what you are. Anyway, I'm not living in some world where statistics don't matter.

I've never been much of a math person, although I'm more interested in it this year than I was in the past. I never liked it because I didn't see how it applied. I was slow to learn, I guess. What the flock is this sheep herder getting at?

My expectations are real. I get that it's a difficult game. Even more importantly, I get that it doesn't take a team of flashy stars. Although, it's great if you have them. But it's a team game, and takes a team at each position to be good at the sport.

The reason the Cowboys are drafting a different profile of players lately, in terms of character, is because of this fact. When you're in the middle of the game, you can be a great athlete, and all of that. But if you're not on the same page as the worst guy on the team, the other team can scheme on that, then your star, flashy player means squat.

Mazi Smith may not be an upgrade over some of his draft class, or maybe not for other teams. But for the Cowboys, he most definitely does upgrade what they do overall as a team. Your weakest link can negate any talent your flashy player has. And you can have a flashy player, with all the talent in the world, then he (or she in women's sports) ends up costing your team more than anything because his mentals break down, at all the wrong times.

In fact, I think the Giants will be back this year? Why because they play well as a team. They're getting better, steadily, rather than taking the Rams' philosophy, which I think is the only way to go. Be competitive over a timeframe, don't sell out for a year.

Either way, the odds are against us, but that's what makes it so fun. I see the Giants competing again this year, possibly being as good as the Eagles, and the Cowboys end up taking the division. I have almost zero doubt we'll be in this mix for the NFCC.
Or the Giants could have way overchieved last year.

sarge1116

Reaction score
They lost their offensive and defensive coordinators which will hurt the team. They also lost a lot of players on defense. All of these losses are like body blows to a boxer. It takes a toll. Also the league has more film on him. And he signed a massive deal which will slowly erode the talent they can bring in to help him. That’s what I’m basing my opinion on. Now I completely see your point and the way you see it is not wrong. I’m hoping for the Cowboys sake that I’m right but your points are valid and I hope you’re wrong for the teams sake. I’m betting against him this year but if he proves me wrong then I’ll be right with you.
If you said they lost aj or devonta or goedert, I would say hurts regresses. I think their online is always above average cause of the continuity they have. Same online coach same offense, same head coach. It's easy to say lose the o coordinator and they will be bad , but there are so many things that haven't changed. I think the battle will be against complacency , but I just can't see hurts resting in that regard. Too many look at him at a 1 year wonder and I dont know why other than he plays for the eagles. I think if he does anything close to what he did last year again, he will be looked at as a mainstay of the top 3 qbs for a long time. There are more consistencies on the o than people even realize. Defense is a different story, linebacker and safety they are much weaker , but still, we thought that last year and looked how it turned out. Did we really think to Edwards was something special. I'm reserving judgment on nakobe dean. The threat will always be the dine and it looks to be better than last year depth wise minus Hargrave. We will see soon enough.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
I wondered about the loss of Steichen but the QB coach who took over has been working with Hurts for a few years now. If the Eagles fall, it will be their defense that does them in IMO.

jwitten82

Reaction score
So we have two of the top 3 teams in the NFC and your making the call that the NFC East could surprise?

Is that some kind of joke? Everyone knows it will be good. They had 3 teams in the playoffs last year did you know that?
Lol yea I'm not really understanding this thread. We had 3 teams from the east make the playoffs, Dallas and NY both advanced to the divisional round and Eagles went to the Superbowl. Hell Washington was 8-8-1. They weren't a terrible team. Only way the NFC east surprises is if only one team from our division makes the playoffs

sarge1116

Reaction score
I wondered about the loss of Steichen but the QB coach who took over has been working with Hurts for a few years now. If the Eagles fall, it will be their defense that does them in IMO.
Linebacker and safety are huge question marks until we see them in action. Dline is still scary and imo better. Reddick, proven, Sweat gets better every year, Graham first time with double digits sacks, Milton Williams will be something imo, I didn't even mention the GA bulldogs between Davis, Carter and Smith. Just remembered fletcher cox. So much depth. I think their running game is going to be good barring injury too. From what I've read , swift is really being used as receiving back like pollard.

plymkr

Reaction score
If you said they lost aj or devonta or goedert, I would say hurts regresses. I think their online is always above average cause of the continuity they have. Same online coach same offense, same head coach. It's easy to say lose the o coordinator and they will be bad , but there are so many things that haven't changed. I think the battle will be against complacency , but I just can't see hurts resting in that regard. Too many look at him at a 1 year wonder and I dont know why other than he plays for the eagles. I think if he does anything close to what he did last year again, he will be looked at as a mainstay of the top 3 qbs for a long time. There are more consistencies on the o than people even realize. Defense is a different story, linebacker and safety they are much weaker , but still, we thought that last year and looked how it turned out. Did we really think to Edwards was something special. I'm reserving judgment on nakobe dean. The threat will always be the dine and it looks to be better than last year depth wise minus Hargrave. We will see soon enough.
Yeah I feel you make good points. I agree that complacency could be a factor but Hurtz doesn't seem mentally weak so it could be a factor but unlikely. I think another issue could be super bowl loss letdown. But it's possible but unlikely going back to Hurtz is mentally tough. I think if he regresses it will be because his defense isn't as good as he'll try and do too much. We'll see, it'll be fun to watch, funner to watch if we beat them.

plymkr

Reaction score
I agree, and possibly teams have more tape on Hurtz and if one team finds a way to control him the copy cat league will follow suit. But you make a valid point.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
So we have two of the top 3 teams in the NFC and your making the call that the NFC East could surprise?

Is that some kind of joke? Everyone knows it will be good. They had 3 teams in the playoffs last year did you know that?
Yeah, this great insight is pretty funny. The Giants were halfway decent and could be better this year.

JayFord

Reaction score
Dal 12-5
Phil 10-7
NYG 6-11 (idc what they do ill never take them serious)
Was- 1-16 or 9-8 (depends on Howell)

JayFord

Reaction score
I mean washington is a mixed bag

it could be mixed with diamonds and fairy dust

it could be mixed with Feces and Puke

you just gotta be brave enough to pour the bag over your mouth

LysleE

Reaction score
I think the Giants will be very competitive; they have a lot of talent, especially in the DL and if memory serves their OL has improved; if Barkley stays healthy they have a dynamic back; nice WRs too. Another edge is coaching: two top-notch guys in Daboll and Martindale.
Philly has a ton of talent as well with arguably one of the best dual-threat QBs in the league; also upgraded defense at DL and LB; I’m concerned about coaching turnover…it will be interesting to see how the team responds from those staffing losses.
I honestly have no clue as to what the Commanders are going to do…talk sbout a team in transition…it’s one big mess…but I know one thing: the skins play all their NFC East foes tough regardless of record. A painful lesson learned last year.
The Cowboys will have to play disciplined, assignment-sound, physical football to be competitive…the NFC East is no longer a place where Dak can inflate/pad his stats like he has in past years. I’m worried about Dallas’ OL…I know it’s TC, but it is in a state of flux with thin, mostly unproven depth behind our starters; and all three teams in the Division, as well as some teams in the Conference have very good, physical DLs employing good schemes.
On the defensive side of the ball: STOP THE RUN. Dallas gave up the 4th most rushing yards in the NFL…not a marker of a dominant defense imposing its will on the opposition.
I want the Cowboys to succeed, but they are in danger of being the 2nd-3rd best team in the NFC East…I really don’t care about who-does-what or who-looks-great in TC; show me during real game action, where opponents are scheming to deny Dallas ll the things they do well forcing them to adapt…hopefully this is the year where Dallas gets it together.

Hardline

Reaction score
The only NFC East team I want to see surprise is the Cowboys.

817Gill

Reaction score
Probably but you can’t rule out the Giants. They won a playoff game last season and are trending up. It would be a mistake to overlook them. Washington will continue to have issues until they find a franchise QB.
The Giants did not do enough roster wise to warrant a real threat in my opinion. Jones is also as average as it comes and his weapons are still meh.

Waller was a good addition but he’s injury prone. They could be a better team and still go 8-9 based on all the close wins they had last year evening out.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I call it like I see it. Last year, many criticized my take about the Giants actually being a good football team. Indeed, I was correct about that. I also speculated that they might even be better than the Eagles. Obviously, whiffed on that speculation.

In any case, things change — every year. That's one thing that doesn't change in the NFL: it's always changing.

Injuries happen; new players get drafted; old ones retire; players get traded, some are flat out cut,. a few end up in the hoosegow or worse.

What ever happens.. pretty much everyone knows the drill.

Last offseason, everyone clamored on about, "be more like the Rams."

But wait a minute?

Isn't that called "selling out."

Once upon a time, we were like the Rams. The difference? We just weren't that good at it. We tried trading for the flashy payers and supplementing our roster. We even did a relatively good job during our worst years. Those 5-11 Campo years were bad. But we were usually more competitive than our record stated. Still, as Parcells said, you are what you are. Anyway, I'm not living in some world where statistics don't matter.

I've never been much of a math person, although I'm more interested in it this year than I was in the past. I never liked it because I didn't see how it applied. I was slow to learn, I guess. What the flock is this sheep herder getting at?

My expectations are real. I get that it's a difficult game. Even more importantly, I get that it doesn't take a team of flashy stars. Although, it's great if you have them. But it's a team game, and takes a team at each position to be good at the sport.

The reason the Cowboys are drafting a different profile of players lately, in terms of character, is because of this fact. When you're in the middle of the game, you can be a great athlete, and all of that. But if you're not on the same page as the worst guy on the team, the other team can scheme on that, then your star, flashy player means squat.

Mazi Smith may not be an upgrade over some of his draft class, or maybe not for other teams. But for the Cowboys, he most definitely does upgrade what they do overall as a team. Your weakest link can negate any talent your flashy player has. And you can have a flashy player, with all the talent in the world, then he (or she in women's sports) ends up costing your team more than anything because his mentals break down, at all the wrong times.

In fact, I think the Giants will be back this year? Why because they play well as a team. They're getting better, steadily, rather than taking the Rams' philosophy, which I think is the only way to go. Be competitive over a timeframe, don't sell out for a year.

Either way, the odds are against us, but that's what makes it so fun. I see the Giants competing again this year, possibly being as good as the Eagles, and the Cowboys end up taking the division. I have almost zero doubt we'll be in this mix for the NFCC.
The NFC North could surprise.