The NFL is setting the Eagles up for success

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If the Cowboys win the SB this year will it be because we got some “help” or will it be because we earned it?
BH, ask many Cowboys, Bills, Dolphins and Commanders fans what they think about them referees and why. Better yet, ask those teams' players. Ask Micah Parsons what he thinks. He's got tape to support his questions, doubts and misgivings.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't know how they determine home and away games for each team but it does seem like the Eagles got a break this year with the schedule. I don't think there is an conspiracy involved. It just turned out the way it turned out. Who know what the Dolphins would be this year?

Dallas got a break too with the Seahawks and Lions at home.

The entire scheduling thing is BS anyway. Every team in each division should play the exact same teams. It is impossible to to with the number of games and teams in the league but it is the only way to have a reasonably fair schedule. The way they do it now with the teams playing opponents who finished in the same place in another division as a means of parity isn't working. The Eagles won the division and played the Viking who are a .500 team. The Cowboys finished behind the Eagles and get the Lions who are a 8-3. The expectation that good teams one year will be the same teams the next has not worked out very often.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
This is absolutely mind-blowing to this point.

Home Games: Bills, Dolphins, 49ers, Vikings. These were all playoff teams from a year ago, with three of them being top-3 seeds. Also, the first of each of their divisional games are played at home.

Their road games? Patriots, Jets, and Rams (not playoff teams in 2022), as well as Bucs without Brady. They had KC, but there was a home game before and two home games after.

Typically, the No. 1 seed from a year ago has the toughest road. Why does Philly get a break?

Also, I recognize Philly is a well-run organization, a darn good team, and they deserve to beat us earlier this month. Not taking anything away from them. But between the refs favoring them seemingly every game and this schedule, I can’t help but think the NFL is setting them up for success this year.
They play the 49ers coming off of a mini bye. Then they play the Cowboys, coming off of a mini bye. Where does that fit into your narrative? You are mistaking coincidence with intent… tinfoil hat.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Eagles are a very good team whose well coached. We can certainly beat them but tons of mental gymnastics on this board trying to discredit a team that’s like 27-2 in there last nearly 30 games and coming off a super bowl appearance.

If the cowboys don’t like it, let’s come out and do something about it next week.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I REALLY hope we beat the Eagles next time we play so this victim madness can stop. Correction: pause for a week

Momanpr100

Reaction score
How original. Another pigeons thread. I don't remember people being this obsessed about the Giants

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BH, ask many Cowboys, Bills, Dolphins and Commanders fans what they think about them referees and why. Better yet, ask those teams' players. Ask Micah Parsons what he thinks. He's got tape to support his questions, doubts and misgivings.
AC, all I’m saying is I think the Cowboys are a very good team on their own. The eagles are a very good team too. And not because of the refs. Have they benefitted from some bad calls yes? Yes. Is that the only reason they are winning? No.

Yes the officiating in this league is bad. Absolutely agree with that. But just like in real life, the teams winning playoff games find a way to overcome “unfairness”. It’s part of what makes a team great.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
How original. Another pigeons thread. I don't remember people being this obsessed about the Giants
Because people see the Eagles as a long-term threat. Giants were flashes in the pan who got hot late in the year and Eli played way over his head in the playoffs to win a few rings. Great for them but they were never going to sustain that success over a long period of time. Also, both of their rings could have been stopped had we just beat them one more time each season. They snuck in each year at the end.

Eagles are different. This is going to be the 3rd year in a row they get to the playoffs and their improvement from 2021 to 2022 to 2023 keeps increasing. The NFC East hasn't seen this since the Eagles had their run in the 2000s under Andy Reid.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
AC, all I’m saying is I think the Cowboys are a very good team on their own. The eagles are a very good team too. And not because of the refs. Have they benefitted from some bad calls yes? Yes. Is that the only reason they are winning? No.

Yes the officiating in this league is bad. Absolutely agree with that. But just like in real life, the teams winning playoff games find a way to overcome “unfairness”. It’s part of what makes a team great.
But when do the Eagles have to overcome "unfairness"?? Not seeing it at all. That is the point everyone is making. Eagles opponents have to overcome that but the Eagles are benefitting directly from it. Not an even playing scale. It's becoming so glaring, too. Even fans who have no horse in the race are saying how biased their games are called.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Because people see the Eagles as a long-term threat. Giants were flashes in the pan who got hot late in the year and Eli played way over his head in the playoffs to win a few rings. Great for them but they were never going to sustain that success over a long period of time. Also, both of their rings could have been stopped had we just beat them one more time each season. They snuck in each year at the end.

Eagles are different. This is going to be the 3rd year in a row they get to the playoffs and their improvement from 2021 to 2022 to 2023 keeps increasing. The NFC East hasn't seen this since the Eagles had their run in the 2000s under Andy Reid.
And this is why we have the rise in cluckery around here about refs "cheating" for Philly: fear. Fear makes people pretty creative in explaining away the undesirable.

Motorola

Reaction score
I don't know how they determine home and away games for each team but it does seem like the Eagles got a break this year with the schedule. I don't think there is an conspiracy involved. It just turned out the way it turned out. Who know what the Dolphins would be this year?

Dallas got a break too with the Seahawks and Lions at home.

The entire scheduling thing is BS anyway. Every team in each division should play the exact same teams. It is impossible to to with the number of games and teams in the league but it is the only way to have a reasonably fair schedule. The way they do it now with the teams playing opponents who finished in the same place in another division as a means of parity isn't working. The Eagles won the division and played the Viking who are a .500 team. The Cowboys finished behind the Eagles and get the Lions who are a 8-3. The expectation that good teams one year will be the same teams the next has not worked out very often.
The scheduling system is as balanced as it possibly could be.
Every team plays the same teams as their three division rivals, except for three games. The setup of the three games outside of the division rotation cycle is fair to me -- play teams that had the same division finish the following season. What solution is better?

As far as one team going from good to worse, and vice-versa from one year season to the next...that is part of all sports in general.
There have been five NFL teams that had a losing record one season - yet went on to become NFL Champions the very next year.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Our soft arse fanbase has the most beta mindset (ie. “the evil powers that be are rigging everything!!!!”)

Proof

Reaction score
Home/away is predetermined. Philly getting Miami/Buff at home just means they had them on the road 4 years ago and will have them on the road again in 4 years. The fact that they turned out to be the best 2 teams in the division right now when it was New England 4 years ago when Philly had them at home is random happenstance.
i'm guilty of forgetting this every other year or so

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Home/away is predetermined. Philly getting Miami/Buff at home just means they had them on the road 4 years ago and will have them on the road again in 4 years. The fact that they turned out to be the best 2 teams in the division right now when it was New England 4 years ago when Philly had them at home is random happenstance.
Yes, there's some luck of the draw involved, but the Eagles have been lucky this year in several aspects (such as the bad spot on their first drive against us in that first game that allowed them to face fourth-and-1 instead of fourth-and-2). It seems like a long time to this lifelong Cowboys fans since my team got a favorable bounce in the quest for the Super Bowl. But luck is part of what is needed to get there.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
That's a good point. I guess my biggest problem is how convenient those games are for them. Each of them comes after a road game. Meanwhile, we get Bills on the road and then Miami the week after. Also, all three of their divisional opponents, the first game is played in Philly. That's only the case with us with Washington.
Although they’re in the unusual situation of facing three straight opponents, playoff teams last year, with winning records this year, that have the benefit of extra rest coming off Thursday Night Football games. I’m sure Eagles fans are whining about that, even though it didn’t help Buffalo. Schedule makers just goofed, I guess.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Yes, there's some luck of the draw involved, but the Eagles have been lucky this year in several aspects (such as the bad spot on their first drive against us in that first game that allowed them to face fourth-and-1 instead of fourth-and-2). It seems like a long time to this lifelong Cowboys fans since my team got a favorable bounce in the quest for the Super Bowl. But luck is part of what is needed to get there.
I don’t disagree in totality Philadelphia seems to have more advantages with the schedule than Dallas, but I think there is some eye-of-the-beholder stuff too. Things that seem better due to Confirmation bias. Like what isn’t mentioned is Philadelphia is playing back to back teams coming off Thursday games who have a week and a half rest when Philly doesn’t (SF-DAL). Both have records this late in the season where they’ve won more than 2/3rd’s of their games. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the first time in NFL history a team has had to do that against opponents of that caliber. And then Andy Reid’s bye week record. He was given a home game after his bye, that already is a tough ask, and who is the 1 team on his 17 game schedule that has to play Andy Reid after his bye in KC? Philadelphia.

And then our gauntlet stretch here. Have you ever heard of a team playing back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back teams that could all plausibly win 10-14 games before? It’s trivialized now because we’ve won half of them, but it’s still an insane ask the schedulemakers made.

Gambit

Reaction score
I live here its AWFUL. I probably here "Go Birds" 100X a day at my job.

Forget the eagles team, its the fans that I want the losses the most for
I used to do that to a supervisor at my job. He HATED Dez. All day long Id message people and hey when you see him, throw up an X.

He'd message me and say I hate that stop doing it, then bam another X thrown up good times