The No. 1 Jamal Adams Trade Blockade For Cowboys? Jets Anger

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I kind of chuckled at that. Maybe Connor Williams or Chidobe Awuzie would be equal since that's where they were drafted and both are starters, but Brown is a fourth-round value at most. I also agree that they couldn't have been offering Brown because he wasn't under contract. If the Jets wanted him, they probably could have just signed him.

The offer was at the time of the trade deadline so Brown was still under contract, albeit one that would expire after the season.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I think any potential trade for Adams would involve:

1st rounder

+

Gallup (Jets signed Perriman whom flashed last season in limited starts for the Bucs. They also drafted Denzel Mims this year, but the rest of the depth are dubious as key contributors. Gallup would provide them a high upside guy to immediately start).

+/or

Xavier Woods (Outside of Maye they have a bunch of JAGs; I’d imagine they’d want a guy with starting experience to step in and fill the void that trading Adams would create)

Lets take a closer look at your thoughts here. A team, the jets, is going to trade away a player that some here will trade whatever to get and then as part of that trade the jets would take a player that most believe is not as good as Adams, Woods, to replace Adams as they're starter. That would be like the chiefs trading Mahomes to the steelers and part of the trade the chiefs get Devin Hodges to be their starter.

Now the Gallup part. The Cowboys would trade the starting #2 WR creating a problem there plus a 1st round pick that will eliminate the best pick next draft to help fill more of the needs on defense not to mention then having to fill a need at WR. That helps one position but hurts another and doesn't cure all the other problems on defense while now creating one on offense. Before you jump back with Lamb, Lamb spent most of his college games playing the slot and that's where the Cowboys have him penciled in for but you say they could move him outside but then who is the slot receiver? You've just down graded the WR corp.

Lastly when these trade talks started a couple of weeks ago Jones said that the Cowboys were no longer interested in trading for Adams yet people here still play this silly game.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
No, not even close.
Yes he is. He's better than almost every corner drafted in the second round that year. Here's all the corners taken in the first two rounds in 2016.

Jalen Ramsey
Eli Apple
Vernon HArgreaves
William Jackson
Artie Burns

Xavien Howard
Mackensie Alexander
TJ Green
Cyrus Jones
James Bradberry

He's absolutely a 2nd round player, closer to first based on this list.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Lets take a closer look at your thoughts here. A team, the jets, is going to trade away a player that some here will trade whatever to get and then as part of that trade the jets would take a player that most believe is not as good as Adams, Woods, to replace Adams as they're starter. That would be like the chiefs trading Mahomes to the steelers and part of the trade the chiefs get Devin Hodges to be their starter.

Now the Gallup part. The Cowboys would trade the starting #2 WR creating a problem there plus a 1st round pick that will eliminate the best pick next draft to help fill more of the needs on defense not to mention then having to fill a need at WR. That helps one position but hurts another and doesn't cure all the other problems on defense while now creating one on offense. Before you jump back with Lamb, Lamb spent most of his college games playing the slot and that's where the Cowboys have him penciled in for but you say they could move him outside but then who is the slot receiver? You've just down graded the WR corp.

Lastly when these trade talks started a couple of weeks ago Jones said that the Cowboys were no longer interested in trading for Adams yet people here still play this silly game.

I don’t see how you can misinterpret what I wrote.

The Jets wouldn’t be trading Adams for Woods because they think he’s an equal talent. Woods would presumably be involved because trading Adams would create a hole in their secondary. Woods would serve as the interim starter (or possibly long term starter). There is a practical roster management aspect to this; I don’t see any incumbents on their team that would fill that role. Woods at least would provide substantial starting experience and is still a relatively young player.

In terms of Gallup, yeah, you would impact the quality depth at WR but you would be substantially upgrading the secondary (and the defense as a unit I would argue). Any trade for Adams will likely require multiple high picks or young starting-caliber players in return.

You have to give something to get something. On its face I would argue Dallas’ depth at WR is better across the board versus our safety depth.

All of this is driven by whether the Jets think they can come to terms with Adams or whether he’s even worth it.

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If the jets trade him, the highest bidder will be considered 1st then probably nfc over afc etc. We will see what other teams actually offer.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yes he is. He's better than almost every corner drafted in the second round that year. Here's all the corners taken in the first two rounds in 2016.

Jalen Ramsey
Eli Apple
Vernon HArgreaves
William Jackson
Artie Burns

Xavien Howard
Mackensie Alexander
TJ Green
Cyrus Jones
James Bradberry

:facepalm:

Brilliant.

Because his peers in the same draft class generally suck that somehow increases Brown’s value to a 1st-2nd rounder, smh.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I don’t see how you can misinterpret what I wrote.

The Jets wouldn’t be trading Adams for Woods because they think he’s an equal talent. Woods would presumably be involved because trading Adams would create a hole in their secondary. Woods would serve as the interim starter (or possibly long term starter). There is a practical roster management aspect to this; I don’t see any incumbents on their team that would fill that role. Woods would provide substantial starting experience and is still a relatively young player.

If you can’t get past “why would the Jets want Woods instead of Adams” I can’t help you further.

In terms of Gallup, yeah, you would impact the quality depth at WR but you would be substantially upgrading the secondary (and the defense as a unit I would argue). Any trade for Adams will likely require multiple high picks or young starting-caliber players in return.

You have to give something to get something. On its face I would argue Dallas’ depth at WR is better across the board versus our safety depth.

All of this is driven by whether the Jets think they can come to terms with Adams or whether he’s even worth it.

First off I didn't say the jets were trading for woods just to be their starter. What I questioned was whether a the jets would trade their strong safety and as part of the trade accept a safety of less talent that would end up as their starter. I used hypothetical Mahomes trade as an example to show how foolish that is.

The Gallup part factually pointed out that Adams will not cure all of the needs on defense yet create yet another need for the WR corp. Trading for Adams while creating a need at WR will not push the Cowboys over the hump to win Super Bowl LV So this trade that is weakening the WR's but not curing all of the needs on defense is not the smart play.

LASTLY AGAIN, when these Adams rumors started a couple of weeks ago Jones said the Cowboys were not longer interested in trading for Adams yet people like you keep pushing for something that's not going to happen.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
First off I didn't say the jets were trading for woods just to be their starter. What I questioned was whether a the jets would trade their strong safety and as part of the trade accept a safety of less talent that would end up as their starter. I used hypothetical Mahomes trade as an example to show how foolish that is.

The Gallup part factually pointed out that Adams will not cure all of the needs on defense yet create yet another need for the WR corp. Trading for Adams while creating a need at WR will not push the Cowboys over the hump to win Super Bowl LV So this trade that is weakening the WR's but not curing all of the needs on defense is not the smart play.

LASTLY AGAIN, when these Adams rumors started a couple of weeks ago Jones said the Cowboys were not longer interested in trading for Adams yet people like you keep pushing for something that's not going to happen.

If you think the Jets would limit potential trade suitors based on whether they can get an equal safety talent in return is simply inane.

If you operate with the simplistic mindset that “Trade X must cure all ills” I can’t help you. You make trades to improve your team whether in the short term (for a player) or long term considerations (draft picks).

With your last comment I see what’s really at the heart of the matter. Your tenderheart can’t deal with the speculation and thought exercises of what it would take to get Adams so you’re on a crusade trying to squelch discussion.

Get a grip on your life.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If you think the Jets would limit potential trade suitors based on whether they can get an equal safety talent in return is simply inane.

If you operate with the simplistic mindset that “Trade X must cure all ills” I can’t help you. You make trades to improve your team whether in the short term (for a player) or long term considerations (draft picks).

With your last comment I see what’s really at the heart of the matter. Your tenderheart can’t deal with the speculation and thought exercises of what it would take to get Adams so you’re on a crusade trying to squelch discussion.

Get a grip on your life.

After what Jones has said about Adams to continue to go on with this is just a fools errand. My points were to show how foolish these trade offer SPECULATIONS by people here really are. Playing Dave Dameshek and his N "if" L video is just foolishness. Smart teams don't make trades that help only part of the problems on one side of the ball and at the same time make another position weaker. Again if trading away a starting player and a high draft pick to get that one player if that player is what will push the team into winning the Super Bowl despite weakening another position than maybe that would be a good move, but we all know trading for Adams isn't automatically punching the Cowboys ticket to the Super Bowl. No matter how you want to say he would help the secondary, he's not that single player that will push the Cowboys over the top and therefore not worth weakening another position that they won't have their top pick to address that need or the other needs on defense.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
What this Mike Fisher failed to mention is that Jones has publicly said that he's is no longer interested in trading for Adams. Jones said that a few weeks ago when this Adam trade talk started by some insider who didn't really get the scoop from Jones. This part is just my opinion and that is if the Cowboys were just ONE player away from going all the way to the Super Bowl then maybe, repeat maybe, adding that player may work out. Now even the most harden fan will say that the Cowboys are not just ONE player away from the Super Bowl. For the life of me I just don't remember any Super Bowl winning team got there and won because of the play of a safety. A safety may have helped win some games here and there but has a safety ever been named the MVP of a Super Bowl? Adams is probably better than any safety the Cowboys have but he is not what's going to push the Cowboys to the Super Bowl and despite what Adams has claimed by not asking for an extension right away and giving the Cowboys a home team discount on his next contract to get the Cowboys to trade for him, once he is here he could decide that he wants to get paid huge bucks and knows that he would have the Cowboys over a barrel because of what they had to give up to get him. Again for a player that is not going to be that ONE player to push the Cowboys over the top.

Those dominating Baltimore defenses of the 2000s wouldn't be near what they were without Ed Reed, and they probably don't win the SB with Dilfer as a QB without that dominating defense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If the report is true that Adam's is willing to wait on an extension and take a hometown discount, I'd be willing to trade a 2021 1st rounder for him.

Although I think the Jets have lost leverage, so a 2nd and a 4th may get a deal done.
What is a discount? 19 million instead of 20?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
For me I have no issue giving up a 1st for a 24 year old player who is a top safety in the league. I do have concerns with reported contract that he is asking for.

J12B

Reaction score
What is a discount? 19 million instead of 20?
Hopefully something more like 12.5 million instead of 15.
Earl Thomas is at a 13.75 APY

20 million is probably what Ramsey is going to be wanting.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hopefully something more like 12.5 million instead of 15.
Earl Thomas is at a 13.75 APY
Yeah but Earl Thomas was coming off another ACL injury and he was in his 30's. If a aging Earl Thomas is worth 13 million I'm afraid what Adams will net.

J12B

Reaction score
Yeah but Earl Thomas was coming off another ACL injury and he was in his 30's. If a aging Earl Thomas is worth 13 million I'm afraid what Adams will net.

Very true.

I would imagine if the Jets do trade Adams to Dallas, Dallas would first have a long term deal worked out beforehand.

Chances have to be very slim for all this to actually happen.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
After what Jones has said about Adams to continue to go on with this is just a fools errand. My points were to show how foolish these trade offer SPECULATIONS by people here really are. Playing Dave Dameshek and his N "if" L video is just foolishness. Smart teams don't make trades that help only part of the problems on one side of the ball and at the same time make another position weaker. Again if trading away a starting player and a high draft pick to get that one player if that player is what will push the team into winning the Super Bowl despite weakening another position than maybe that would be a good move, but we all know trading for Adams isn't automatically punching the Cowboys ticket to the Super Bowl. No matter how you want to say he would help the secondary, he's not that single player that will push the Cowboys over the top and therefore not worth weakening another position that they won't have their top pick to address that need or the other needs on defense.

1. Feel free to post a quote where Jerry supposedly said “we are no longer interested in trading for Adams”; and
  2. You’re naive to think any comment coming from the Cowboys regarding a supposed lack of interest is gospel. Here’s what Jerry said in 2008 about trading for a wide receiver:
Jerry Jones on Sunday afternoon: “We have no plans to trade for a receiver before the trading deadline.” No plans? So it’s not going to happen? “No,” he said. “No trade for a receiver.” - Oct. 6, 2008

On Oct. 14, they traded with the Lions for Roy Williams.

Gird the lions of your mind tenderheart.

Last edited:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

Jalen Ramsey
Eli Apple
Vernon HArgreaves
William Jackson
Artie Burns

Xavien Howard
Mackensie Alexander
TJ Green
Cyrus Jones
James Bradberry

No one will send the Cowboys anything close to a 2nd round pick for Brown.

You're living in a fantasy world. Previous busts do not increase Brown's trade value.

Xavier187

Reaction score
Think about it
Gallup, Williams and Woods.
Plus a 1st and 4th
For Adams and Mimms plus a 3rd in 2022
This would be a very good trade for both sides