The No. 1 Jamal Adams Trade Blockade For Cowboys? Jets Anger

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yeah but with the shortened offseason and the lack of leaders on the Jets defensive roster having Adams there could be a problem.

Adams position is that the front office has been negotiating in bad faith and wants out because of it. He's Ashtyn Davis' leader.

I laugh at people that claim anything on any contract negotiations. All people have is speculation by sportswriters and insiders that is just speculation. Every time a negotiation doesn't go like a player wants or take longer than people think it should take inevitably reports start that management is negotiating in bad faith. It never fails.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If I was Adams I would go straight to Jerry and say I'm signing with the Eagles. If I'm Jerry I would say, welcome to the Cowboys.

No team can have contact in any way with a player under contract with another team. It's called tampering and costs that team their 1st round pick.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I have completely changed my opinion of this guy. I know he's just a box safety. I know he'll cost a lot. But I think he's worth every bit of it. His talent would help this defense a ton. If our Dline and LBs play like we expect, add him and we won't have to worry about what's behind them. Then I look at some of the contracts we currently have that will come to an end, his deal won't matter. But then again, are the Cowboys interested? What to give for him if they are? I think a late first rounder is a good deal. How do you argue against that if there's cap space?

I've played ball since the 7th grade all the way to some college ball and BTW I played free safety and have watch football for 60 years but when did the strong safety name get changed to box safety? I never heard that until someone here referred to Adams as a box safety.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I laugh at people that claim anything on any contract negotiations. All people have is speculation by sportswriters and insiders that is just speculation. Every time a negotiation doesn't go like a player wants or take longer than people think it should take inevitably reports start that management is negotiating in bad faith. It never fails.

With certainty? Of course. It is not hard to tell which party is leaking what nonetheless.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If the Jets decide to trade him to a team that he prefers not to go to, he can just publicly threaten to holdout. The precedent is set already with Antonio Brown and Rob Gronkowski. A high profile player has a lot of sway if you want to get maximize his value.

The Jets will maximize his value if you trade him to a team that he wants to go to.

Exactly ........he has enough leverage to kill a trade to a team he doesn't wanna play for.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Giving up fist day picks and top S salary for any player will wreck the Cowboys.

Valkyr

Reaction score
The Jets have played in THREE conference championship games since the Cowboys last played in one. They've gone 4-2 vs the Cowboys during that time.
cough_david_stern.gif

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
With certainty? Of course. It is not hard to tell which party is leaking what nonetheless.

Yet another person that thinks all the speculation that is put out there is really leaks. Unless there's an actual direct quote it's nothing but speculation. When a sportswriter or insider uses "a source" it's his magic license to speculate but make it sound like it's real. To many former GM's have said that if a player or agent actually leaked anything that it will end any negotiations until the player lowers his demands.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Also, did Mike Fisher say that a trade offer of a 1st & a 2nd is pretty close to a trade offer of a 1st & Anthony Brown?

It's crazy to me the value this FO and fan base put on some of our players (Brown, Crawford, Jarwin, Heath). Brown is not highly thought of around the league, especially by NFL officials. The Jets were out of their minds asking for a 1st & Zack Martin or Tyron Smith, but the Cowboys FO wasn't dealing in reality offering a 1st & Brown either, especially since Brown was a pending free agent at the time.
Brown is a second-round calibre player...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
So who here thinks that the Commanders are happy with the Landon Collins deal?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Coopers cap number goes up next year. It’s going to have a sweet deal. How much we have to give up in draft to get him.

Rayman70

Reaction score
no I wouldnt. ALL THAT PRODUCTION CANNOT BE replaced by a box safety on defense. As good as he is, no way. Maybe Gallup though.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Also, did Mike Fisher say that a trade offer of a 1st & a 2nd is pretty close to a trade offer of a 1st & Anthony Brown?

It's crazy to me the value this FO and fan base put on some of our players (Brown, Crawford, Jarwin, Heath). Brown is not highly thought of around the league, especially by NFL officials. The Jets were out of their minds asking for a 1st & Zack Martin or Tyron Smith, but the Cowboys FO wasn't dealing in reality offering a 1st & Brown either, especially since Brown was a pending free agent at the time.

Your comment on what fans think a players value is reminds me of something Gil Brandt said one time.

There are 4 different player values.

1) The value fans put on a player their team is trading away for another player.
2) The value fans put on a player their team is trading for.
3) The value a team places on a player they are trading and the least they will accept for that player
4) The value of a player they will trade for and the most they will give up for that player.

Brandt went on to say that the values in numbers 1 and 2 seldom if ever are the same values as numbers 3 and 4.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think any potential trade for Adams would involve:

1st rounder

+

Gallup (Jets signed Perriman whom flashed last season in limited starts for the Bucs. They also drafted Denzel Mims this year, but the rest of the depth are dubious as key contributors. Gallup would provide them a high upside guy to immediately start).

+/or

Xavier Woods (Outside of Maye they have a bunch of JAGs; I’d imagine they’d want a guy with starting experience to step in and fill the void that trading Adams would create)

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I think any potential trade for Adams would involve:
1st rounder
+
Gallup (Jets signed Perriman whom flashed last season in limited starts for the Bucs. They also drafted Denzel Mims this year, but the rest of the depth are dubious as key contributors. Gallup would provide them a high upside guy to immediately start).
+/or
Xavier Woods (Outside of Maye they have a bunch of JAGs; I’d imagine they’d want a guy with starting experience to step in and fill the void that trading Adams would create)

Coupled with giving Adams a fat contract this trade only makes sense for the Jets.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I kind of chuckled at that. Maybe Connor Williams or Chidobe Awuzie would be equal since that's where they were drafted and both are starters, but Brown is a fourth-round value at most. I also agree that they couldn't have been offering Brown because he wasn't under contract. If the Jets wanted him, they probably could have just signed him.