FEATURED *** The Official New Head Coach Speculation Thread ***

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Colin just called Jerry out saying he doesn't have the guts to hire Urban Meyer. It might be so. Got to hope Stephen has most of the say these days. If the new HC is someone Jerry can push around we will all just go back into futility.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
The real question here is do we want another clapper? How about a spanker, a thumbs-upper, a clipboard, cap or headset thrower, a curser, a dancer, an arm flailer? There’s got to be others. I always liked Spurrier because of his animations.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did the OP have to pay for to be designated as the "Official" thread? You know, like Wing Stop had to fork over money to be the "Official" Wings of the Dallas Cowboys.

silvernblu

Reaction score
YeahRiley has NEVER had to Coach a game with a major talent disparity. 90% of the games his OU team lines up to play have a talent advantage he would never have in the NFL.
That’s the problem with college coaches.
You have to look at the guys who went into subpar programs and turned them around at least twice. (Urban, Rhule)

superonyx

Reaction score
I'm good friends with a Utah booster that has some ties to Urban from his time here.

Feeling from him is that it's unlikely Meyer goes for it as Meyer wants complete control and freedom including more of a stake in player personnel decision. If he's going to fail, he's going to fail on his terms. He doesn't need the money or the fame, but he's hungry to coach again, it's just in his DNA.

I just don't see this front office yielding that much control to him. Would love to be proven wrong, but I think Meyer is probably a fantasy.
The counter argument is that Jerry runs a very tight knit organization where a coach like Meyer will have input and a direct relationship with the Jerry.
I think the control thing is being overplayed. I imagine Jerry may ultimately make the final decisions but to me he seems like a guy who is collaborative and willing to take input from everyone. This is why most people near Jerry say its a family atmosphere. The media narrative paints Jerry as a monster dictator who go around doing stupid stuff. Looking at the success of our talent acquisition over the last handful of years either means Jerry is a fricken master talent elevator OR he actually listens to input from others.

Plankton

Reaction score
I wonder why Saleh would be so high on the list.

Not sure why anyone would be high on him to begin with. His defenses largely sucked prior to this season, and he has significant draft capital and free agent dollars spent on the front seven this year. Armstead, Buckner, Bosa and Thomas are all first round draft picks on the DL, Dee Ford signed a big FA deal with them as well. I wouldn't be lining up to get the guy.

superonyx

Reaction score
Which is why I do not see that happening, this conjecture all started because of what Meyer said on a pregame show. We are only discussing him from what he said.

Do you really think Booger would ever return to the Parcells days? According to Broaddus, through his contacts at Valley Ranch at the time, they were all concerned about Booger because he was so depressed because he was no longer the face and voice of the Cowboys. Booger is a media addict.

I do not think Meyer has ever been on the list of possible HC's. Booger said his main reluctance to change was because he was comfortable with Garrett, do you see Meyer making him comfortable?

The reason Johnson left was a clash of egos. Meyer has one equal to Johnson's. When two enlarged egos meet, one must subrogate itself to the other. Do you see that happening with either of these guys?
I don't know that I agree about Meyers ego. I don't know this man. But I think people are pointing to his crazy levels of success and automatically assigning him as an ego maniac.
He could actually be easy to work with and a generally good guy to be around.

I could be wrong since I don't know that much about him.

The problem we are falling into here is assigning every leader of men type as an ego maniac who can't work with Jerry. I'm not sure this is accurate.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
What’d he say?
In short he was comparing the Cowboys and the Lakers.

Talking about the "family" environment within both organization ie Garrett, Campo, etc...........and when they hire outside of the "family" is Jimmy, Parcells, and with the Lakers Phil Jackson......they win and when they stay within the "family" they don't. And that the "family" ownerships hate that.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I don't know that I agree about Meyers ego. I don't know this man. But I think people are pointing to his crazy levels of success and automatically assigning him as an ego maniac.
He could actually be easy to work with and a generally good guy to be around.

I could be wrong since I don't know that much about him.

The problem we are falling into here is assigning every leader of men type as an ego maniac who can't work with Jerry. I'm not sure this is accurate.
I don't think Meyer's ego is a problem. I think Meyer would want his system. Can Jerry accept that is my concern/question.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The real question here is do we want another clapper? How about a spanker, a thumbs-upper, a clipboard, cap or headset thrower, a curser, a dancer, an arm flailer? There’s got to be others. I always liked Spurrier because of his animations.
I think only a finger gunner would be a downgrade after all the clapping

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Same. I have no idea.
Well, he would be a Rooney Rule candidate for one, I guess.

The only real reason I can think of is that they are married to this "Seattle" philosophy and he had exposure to it under Carroll.

People are losing their minds over the 49ers D this year, but it was not consistently dominant. They fell way off at the end of the year.

If you want a strong DC candidate, then take Martindale who at least had a consistent season. He also is rumored to want to bring coaches like Joe Brady and/or Dave Aranda with him. That sounds a lot more attractive to me.

rynochop

Reaction score
How long will the honeymoon last is my question..the first three and out for some.lol

Zordon

Reaction score
Schefter said yesterday the radio that NFL insiders were telling him 2 years ago that Riley would be the Cowboys coach some day.

I've heard he's not too fond of recruiting and is more of a lock me in a dark room with tape kind of coach.

It sort of makes sense for him to move on now after having two heisman winners he's sort of maxed out at just making the playoffs. Next year he'd have to break in a new young QB.

Also something to remember while we plays this waiting game is that Riley and Garrett share the same agency. Their agents are in the know of everything that's going on.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Schefter said yesterday the radio that NFL insiders were telling him 2 years ago that Riley would be the Cowboys coach some day.

I've heard he's not too fond of recruiting and is more of a lock me in a dark room with tape kind of coach.

It sort of makes sense for him to move on now after having two heisman winners he's sort of maxed out at just making the playoffs. Next year he'd have to break in a new young QB.

Also Riley and Garrett share the same agency
I got Riley at 4, right above Martindale
1) Meyer
2)Rhule
3) Roman
4) Riley
5) Martindale

Hardline

Reaction score
I would interview Gary Patterson
TCU is a Big 12 team that actually plays defense..
And is very competitive with lesser recruits.