FEATURED *** The Official New Head Coach Speculation Thread ***

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I sure hope they don't hire from within. If this happens, it might be another Garrett type era because these coaches know how to keep Jerry happy and will bow down and follow in the Clappers footsteps.

How would you feel about Zimmerman head coach and they keep Moore as the OC?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That's what I am scared of.:(

He’s coached the Viking for 6 years and has 1 playoff win that was a total fluke.

We know what he is as a HC but Jerry Jones will not care about something like this because he doesn’t value coaching.

Zimmer will do the job like Garrett and get us no where like Garrett.

This move keeps the status quo of not doing anything in the playoffs and keeps the Jones’s happy with another buddy coaching their franchise.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
They already know who the next coach will be and so does he, otherwise they wouldn't be dragging ***. I'm 80% sure it is Matt Rhule, too many hints have been given.
Jerry specially mentioning Rhule as a coach that they were watching.
Rhule telling his players he will be listening to NFL teams, but who has he interviewed with, he flat out turned down the Browns .
Giants fearful Dallas wants him, they are interviewing other coaches, haven't heard about an interview with Rhule set up.
Not wanting to uproot his family?
Stating that any job he takes he would have to decide his own staff, reports that assistant coaches in Dallas were already told to look for other jobs?
Its Rhule.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He’s coached the Viking for 6 years and has 1 playoff win that was a total fluke.

We know what he is as a HC but Jerry Jones will not care about something like this because he doesn’t value coaching.

Zimmer will do the job like Garrett and get us no where like Garrett.

This move keeps the status quo of not doing anything in the playoffs and keeps the Jones’s happy with another buddy coaching their franchise.

Exactly...…….its like they realized that Garrett was too toxic to bring back so how do we get a Garrett 2.0 that will allow us to keep doing everything the same way we have been doing it for the last 10 years...………...Zimmerman, that is how...……..he is like Garrett 2.0

Common Sense

Reaction score
They already know who the next coach will be and so does he, otherwise they wouldn't be dragging ***. I'm 80% sure it is Matt Rhule, too many hints have been given.
Jerry specially mentioning Rhule as a coach that they were watching.
Rhule telling his players he will be listening to NFL teams, but who has he interviewed with, he flat out turned down the Browns .
Giants fearful Dallas wants him, they are interviewing other coaches, haven't heard about an interview with Rhule set up.
Not wanting to uproot his family?
Stating that any job he takes he would have to decide his own staff, reports that assistant coaches in Dallas were already told to look for other jobs?
Its Rhule.

I think this is much more likely than Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Questions any GM should be asking himself before hiring the next HC.

Why didn't the last HC work out?
What did/didn't I do to support him in the locker room?
Did I hold him accountable for the job and myself as well for hiring him?

And one particular question this GM should ask himself. Did I give him enough rope to hang himself or climb out or did I build a rope swing for the players?

The main question this GM will ask himself. How comfortable will this guy make me?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm still holding out hope for Urban Meyer.

Things got real "quiet" after Stephen "spoke" to him. Convenient "smoke" was thrown about by both sides.

I'm not as confident as I was before, but that's my opinion still.

I'm right there with you. I sense a concerted effort on both sides to downplay things after the report of a meeting got out.

Now they have to go through with 'the show' and interview a candidate or two to make it 'look good'.

But I think Riley stays put, and if Rhule takes any job, it will be the Giants.

I think Meyer is our best chance.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I agree with everything you said but Lincoln Riley is a great play designer and playcaller and he does it using a lot of NFL concepts.

I think all of your concerns are valid but his stock may never get lower then it is right now because from a Xs and Os standpoint he is clearly brilliant.

I like the risk / reward with him.
I will give him a chance because he is well respected around the league but he needs to bring in the right defensive coordinator.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any job with a sane Owner is better than the Cowboys job.
Yep, hiring the right guy just isn't enough applause for this owner. He will totally ignore all of that advice Aikman has been offering him about HC's.

As fans, we will never reach that point that the Skins fans are at. Their owner realized he was part of the problem, he had been feeding that culture. I don't know how far Rivera can take that team but it looks like it will be up to him and not some halfassed committee of family members.

He seems to have come to grips with the fact that the harder he tried to fix it, the more broken it became. There is one major difference between Booger and Snyder. Snyder is at fault because he's too much a fan of his own team. Booger is a fan of himself.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
A friend of mine texted me, that he would like to see Eberflus return as HC, what say you?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm right there with you. I sense a concerted effort on both sides to downplay things after the report of a meeting got out.

Now they have to go through with 'the show' and interview a candidate or two to make it 'look good'.

But I think Riley stays put, and if Rhule takes any job, it will be the Giants.

I think Meyer is our best chance.
I think Meyer is actually our worst chance.

Of all the names mentioned, which one has the largest ego?

Which one has a history of a problem with authority?

Which one is the most likely to react to eyes turning to the Joneses, for authentication, in team meetings?

stash, I do not think we have a best chance. Until we know for a fact that they're going to let the HC run his part of the team, like the other successful clubs do, it doesn't matter who they hire.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Swagu mentioned Tony Dungy this morning. It would be a fit on defense schematically, but I would prefer to move on from that system altogether.