CFZ The official scorekeeper gave Zeke another broken tackle

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Does the NFL's official scorekeeper read these boards? Yall probably saw my posts last week about how the scorekeeper has been screwing Zeke by dismissing his broken tackles. When I checked the numbers over the weekend they had awarded Zeke one whole broken tackle in the Thanksgiving game. He was at 4 heading into that game and 5 coming out of it. Anybody who watched that game knows damn well that was bunk. Apparently they re-watched the game and added another one. Maybe they saw the two tackles he broke on the way to his TD run. So now he has 6, tying him with TP for the team lead. Mind you I still say he had at least 5 broken tackles in that game but I guess .. baby steps..

On a side note they also appear to have corrected Dak's on target/on target numbers. But they charged him with 7 bad throws in the Thanksgiving game. Not sure I agree with that but it's an improvement over the 63% they had him at right after the game. Suffice it to say I no longer trust pro-football-reference as the definitive source for numbers.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Does the NFL's official scorekeeper read these boards? Yall probably saw my posts last week about how the scorekeeper has been screwing Zeke by dismissing his broken tackles. When I checked the numbers over the weekend they had awarded Zeke one whole broken tackle in the Thanksgiving game. He was at 4 heading into that game and 5 coming out of it. Anybody who watched that game knows damn well that was bunk. Apparently they re-watched the game and added another one. Maybe they saw the two tackles he broke on the way to his TD run. So now he has 6, tying him with TP for the team lead. Mind you I still say he had at least 5 broken tackles in that game but I guess .. baby steps..

On a side note they also appear to have corrected Dak's on target/on target numbers. But they charged him with 7 bad throws in the Thanksgiving game. Not sure I agree with that but it's an improvement over the 63% they had him at right after the game. Suffice it to say I no longer trust pro-football-reference as the definitive source for numbers.

Stats...who cares. It just a fantasy.
(for any NFL scorekeepers)

Bagman

Reaction score
On a serious note, how in the heck can Zeke only have 5 broken tackles on the season? The guy is a contact seeking battering ram. Sometimes it seems like he breaks a few on a single carry. Go figure.

T-RO

Reaction score
I no longer trust pro-football-reference as the definitive source for numbers.

Don't like the message, shoot the messenger

Yards per carry after contact, rankings
#1 Tony Pollard, 3.0
#2 Josh Jacobs, 2.8
#4 Nick Chubb, 2.5
#7 Derrick Henry, 2.3
#18 little Isiah Pacheco, 2.0
#21 Christian McCaffrey, 1.9
#31 QB Josh Allen, 1.7
#34 Ezekiel Elliott, 1.6
#49 James Robinson, 1.3

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
On a serious note, how in the heck can Zeke only have 5 broken tackles on the season? The guy is a contact seeking battering ram. Sometimes it seems like he breaks a few on a single carry. Go figure.
Yeah who counts them. I watched him get hit behind the line and then break another on his way to a 2 yard gain. On one carry.

Reactions: BAT

ondaedg

Reaction score

Zeke has not broken a whole lot of tackles since his rookie season. Think he had 9 last season?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yeah who counts them. I watched him get hit behind the line and then break another on his way to a 2 yard gain. On one carry.

Yeah I wish I knew what the official designation of a broken tackle was because I swear it differs from running back to running back. I KNOW they give other backs a broken tackle for running through arm tackles.. something Zeke does about 5 times a game and apparently is never credited with .. Hell they took one from him against Philly after he ran OVER a dude in the hole and kept on truckin. I mean what exactly does he have to do for it to be considered a broken tackle. One explanation that occurred to me is that I remember reading somewhere that if you go down from contact with a defender it doesn't matter if you stumble another 15 yards that is not considered a broken tackle.

With that in mind Zeke's extreme body lean with which he runs probably makes it look like those guys who he ran through at the line scrimmage started him on his way down. Because he stays low in and through the hole and by the time he goes down with three guys riding on him the official scorekeeper might decide that the first guy actually tackled him. It's the only explanation I can come up with for the disparity in how these numbers shake out. Zeke has sure as hell broken more than 6 tackles this season. I don't know HOW many.. but there is something fishy in the scorekeeping plain and simple.

terra

Reaction score
Don't like the message, shoot the messenger

Yards per carry after contact, rankings
#1 Tony Pollard, 3.0
#2 Josh Jacobs, 2.8
#4 Nick Chubb, 2.5
#7 Derrick Henry, 2.3
#18 little Isiah Pacheco, 2.0
#21 Christian McCaffrey, 1.9
#31 QB Josh Allen, 1.7
#34 Ezekiel Elliott, 1.6
#49 James Robinson, 1.3
IF one is dumb enough to believe PFF I guess you could say that
I love how some here treat it as written by the finger of God

terra

Reaction score
Yeah I wish I knew what the official designation of a broken tackle was because I swear it differs from running back to running back. I KNOW they give other backs a broken tackle for running through arm tackles.. something Zeke does about 5 times a game and apparently is never credited with .. Hell they took one from him against Philly after he ran OVER a dude in the hole and kept on truckin. I mean what exactly does he have to do for it to be considered a broken tackle. One explanation that occurred to me is that I remember reading somewhere that if you go down from contact with a defender it doesn't matter if you stumble another 15 yards that is not considered a broken tackle.

With that in mind Zeke's extreme body lean with which he runs probably makes it look like those guys who he ran through at the line scrimmage started him on his way down. Because he stays low in and through the hole and by the time he goes down with three guys riding on him the official scorekeeper might decide that the first guy actually tackled him. It's the only explanation I can come up with for the disparity in how these numbers shake out. Zeke has sure as hell broken more than 6 tackles this season. I don't know HOW many.. but there is something fishy in the scorekeeping plain and simple.
It is like QB pressures; what is pressure to a JAG is not pressure to someone like Mahoones, etc
To me a broken tackle is a guy getting trucked by the RB, not dragging him for a few yards

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cowboyroy and that freaky cal college kid....are keeping stats.
Smack em up.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It is like QB pressures; what is pressure to a JAG is not pressure to someone like Mahoones, etc
To me a broken tackle is a guy getting trucked by the RB, not dragging him for a few yards

This is too stringent. NFL players seldom get straight up trucked. That's why it elicits such enormous response when it happens! And even then there is no guarantee that the scorekeeper will see it that way. I mean Zeke trucked the SS trying to fill the hole in the Philly game and walked on his chest on the way to a 12-13 yard gain.. and apparently that was not seen as a broken tackle.

ondaedg

Reaction score
So Ronnie is telling you they ain't countin' right so y'all double down.

Zeke haters.

Uhh no I like Zeke. But statistically his brktkl stats have been declining.

Per pro football reference his BrkTkl stats since 2018 are 19, 24, 15, 9, 6 . So his best year was 2019.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
My guess is we're seeing yards after contact. There must be more specific criteria for a broken tackle.

Plus I give Zeke bonus points for emerging unscathed from Jaylon Smith's amazing belly flop.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Uhh no I like Zeke. But statistically his brktkl stats have been declining.

Per pro football reference his BrkTkl stats since 2018 are 19, 24, 15, 9, 6 . So his best year was 2019.

Remember 2020 was the Covid year as well as the year he missed a game with the calf injury of his own and last year was the one-legged for 11 games year. I would not have expected his broken tackle numbers to be all that great in either of those years. This year has been different though. He ran through the Philly defense like they were the JV but was only credited with one broken tackle in a game where he could easily have been awarded 6 or 7. He was scored to have more broken tackles (2) in the Giants game than the Philly game and anybody who watched him tear Philly up that night will tell you is absolute horse bleep. The other thing to bear in mind is that since the emergence of Pollard Moore has decided that 90-95% of Zeke's carries need to be right up the gut into the teeth of the defense. This may surprise some people, but it's harder to break out of the arms of a 320 pound man than it is a 200 pound man. I suspect if they ran Zeke on the edges more and made it so the first defender he encountered was a DB instead of a DL his yards after contact and his broken tackle count would soar. But that's not how they want to use him. At least it hasn't been to this point in the season.