CFZ The official scorekeeper gave Zeke another broken tackle

RonnieT24

Reaction score
My guess is we're seeing yards after contact. There must be more specific criteria for a broken tackle.

Plus I give Zeke bonus points for emerging unscathed from Jaylon Smith's amazing belly flop.

That was a re-enactment of "The People's Elbow" and I have yet to hear or read any explanation for exactly what the hell he was doing. Have you?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I saw the new Sounds From the Sidelines clip. I don’t know if I am hopeful Moore will ever understand how to run. After watching Zeke talking to Pollard about how he wishes they would just give them the ball to run it out that day. Zeke doesn’t talk a lot of smack either but he was going on how he felt a 300 total yard day coming for both of them.

Reactions: BAT

ondaedg

Reaction score
Remember 2020 was the Covid year as well as the year he missed a game with the calf injury of his own and last year was the one-legged for 11 games year. I would not have expected his broken tackle numbers to be all that great in either of those years. This year has been different though. He ran through the Philly defense like they were the JV but was only credited with one broken tackle in a game where he could easily have been awarded 6 or 7. He was scored to have more broken tackles (2) in the Giants game than the Philly game and anybody who watched him tear Philly up that night will tell you is absolute horse bleep. The other thing to bear in mind is that since the emergence of Pollard Moore has decided that 90-95% of Zeke's carries need to be right up the gut into the teeth of the defense. This may surprise some people, but it's harder to break out of the arms of a 320 pound man than it is a 200 pound man. I suspect if they ran Zeke on the edges more and made it so the first defender he encountered was a DB instead of a DL his yards after contact and his broken tackle count would soar. But that's not how they want to use him. At least it hasn't been to this point in the season.

Valid points. I think the real metric we should be looking at is Att/Br and the trend does continue to move downward. Last season should be taken with consideration due to the knee injury but the stats are pretty consistent. I still like Zeke as a back because no one in the NFL enjoys tackling him even if he doesn’t break the tackle.

Wow didn’t realize the drop off in the passing game was that bad. That’s all Moore there.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IF one is dumb enough to believe PFF I guess you could say that
I love how some here treat it as written by the finger of God

I believe Romo addressed this against the Vikings. That people don't realize Pollard leads the league in yards after contact.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Valid points. I think the real metric we should be looking at is Att/Br and the trend does continue to move downward. Last season should be taken with consideration due to the knee injury but the stats are pretty consistent. I still like Zeke as a back because no one in the NFL enjoys tackling him even if he doesn’t break the tackle.

Wow didn’t realize the drop off in the passing game was that bad. That’s all Moore there.
right, Moore needs to use Pollard and zeke a lot more in the pass game. Maybe hes saving some wrinkles for the playoffs.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
right, Moore needs to use Pollard and zeke a lot more in the pass game. Maybe hes saving some wrinkles for the playoffs.

I would not doubt this to some degree. There aren't 5 linebackers in the league who can stay with Pollard on a wheel route. That is a 25 yard completion pretty much any time we want it. The unleashed it in the Minny game ONE time and put it back under wraps. I'm guessing they don't want people having too much film on it. But I think some of it has been DCs scheming around it as well. The smart ones have sent blitzers right at the backs, especially Pollard in order to keep them from getting out into the pattern. Obviously it takes time to get out on the wheel route and an unblocked LB or DB will force Dak to have to get rid of the ball before it develops.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Yeah Zeke is on pace for less than 25 targets as a receiver. That is absolutely criminal. I understand that he's somewhat compromised with the knee right now.. but there really was no excuse for it before..

And yeah.. Like I said the other day.. We all saw how many of the Giants defenders stayed on the ground after tackling Zeke.. The number of fans pretending not to recognize the value of that is amazing.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Cool.... I will chalk this up as one more useless stat that will never amount to anything. I doubt Zeke can even use it as a bargaining chip for his next contract.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
On a serious note, how in the heck can Zeke only have 5 broken tackles on the season? The guy is a contact seeking battering ram. Sometimes it seems like he breaks a few on a single carry. Go figure.

Zeke only had 9 broken tackles all of last year. The can make anyone miss, thats why.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Earth shattering analysis as usual.. Thanks..
He honest to goodness trolls.

Its not about agreement or fair discussion...its about eliciting response. Poor lonely kid. I can see him doing Scooby-Doo laugh while posting.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Does the NFL's official scorekeeper read these boards? Yall probably saw my posts last week about how the scorekeeper has been screwing Zeke by dismissing his broken tackles. When I checked the numbers over the weekend they had awarded Zeke one whole broken tackle in the Thanksgiving game. He was at 4 heading into that game and 5 coming out of it. Anybody who watched that game knows damn well that was bunk. Apparently they re-watched the game and added another one. Maybe they saw the two tackles he broke on the way to his TD run. So now he has 6, tying him with TP for the team lead. Mind you I still say he had at least 5 broken tackles in that game but I guess .. baby steps..

On a side note they also appear to have corrected Dak's on target/on target numbers. But they charged him with 7 bad throws in the Thanksgiving game. Not sure I agree with that but it's an improvement over the 63% they had him at right after the game. Suffice it to say I no longer trust pro-football-reference as the definitive source for numbers.

Good catch -- Zeke is hell when he's well. I'm hoping to see him avoid the injury dangers of combat in the upcoming games. We may need him for the playoff run to find something akin to success. Evidently, he worked extremely hard last offseason to return to a better level of "badassness." Here's hoping we'll have him available to tend to the dirty work on the inside. Let's keep our fingers crossed that he'll remain healthy, in the meantime for the journey to the playoffs. Hopefully. we'll prove fortunate enough to get there. We've got some serious work to attend to. ;)

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Cool.... I will chalk this up as one more useless stat that will never amount to anything. I doubt Zeke can even use it as a bargaining chip for his next contract.

It did surprise me to see that they only have credited Pollard with 6 broken tackles on the season as well. There's something going on with that because he's broken a lot more than that too.

ondaedg

Reaction score
It did surprise me to see that they only have credited Pollard with 6 broken tackles on the season as well. There's something going on with that because he's broken a lot more than that too.

Ya I would love to see one of these data companies produce a video of how they perform their analysis and what the rules are for a broken tackle, yards after contact, etc etc.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
On a serious note, how in the heck can Zeke only have 5 broken tackles on the season? The guy is a contact seeking battering ram. Sometimes it seems like he breaks a few on a single carry. Go figure.

MAKING CONTACT AND BREAKING CONTACT ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS