The OL v WR debate in the draft

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Connor was a reach by the Cowboys. Injury slowed his initial production in college down. He always had short arms, reach, lack of strength, and hadn't played much across the line as some of the cats that could fall to us in this draft.

Personally I don't think Connor is the only problem here. Biadasz was just as bad. The way I see it, if an all-pro who is healthy at RG has his worst year, and the guy on the other side of center is bad too then you can put two and two together, and see one bad apple spoils the bunch. Connor was good and bad, but I think he was a symptom of T Fred heading in to retirement. Center is almost just as important.

That's the Cowboy Curse, players that are ok when playing a bit part as an add-on beside a star, but appear unable to step up when they become the 'senior' player.

Agree that Connor/Badass 200 yards of penalties needs desperate improvement, but can we truly judge Biadasz whilst he played alongside the 14 times King of Holding. Give him a year playing next to a Rd1 Guard (imo) and expect an improvement.

BTW ...Rumor had it that the umpires were going to strike (on grounds of repetitive strain) if the league didnt accept a prerecorded "holding Offense 52" message.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You take BPA. You don't take a 2nd rd OL in the 1st over a 1st rd talent just because you need one.

Agree to a point, but who are the 2nd Round OL that are expected in the 1st (apart from Tyler Smith and Raimann). I would warn against positional drafting, don't over value positions due to future value, that way you'll be drafting WR's, DE's and QB's every year.

stinkface

Reaction score
The all-star OL is a dead end strategy. You can draft good guards and centers in the 3rd round and I mean top 10 type of player. The top teams are loading up with playmakers and this new breed of WRs are changing everything. If Jameson Williams is available you grab him and don’t even think twice about it. The 2nd and 3rd rounds can give us D and OL.
Not sure I agree. Cincinnati QB got beaten into a pulp last year. No QB can take that pounding. That's why they are getting much stronger inside by bringing in free agents. Sadly we have no bucks to do that so it has to be via the draft. If we don't draft two offensive lineman in the top 4 rounds then Breakable Dak won't make it thru half the season. No problem with a wide receiver in the second or third round, but big uglies need to come first imo.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The all-star OL is a dead end strategy. You can draft good guards and centers in the 3rd round and I mean top 10 type of player. The top teams are loading up with playmakers and this new breed of WRs are changing everything. If Jameson Williams is available you grab him and don’t even think twice about it. The 2nd and 3rd rounds can give us D and OL.

By that end, if he fell, taking Hamilton would be a no brainer. Unfortunately, we are in a position that we appear to have no LG unless Zach agrees to move to allow McGovern to play RG.

We certainly take a Guard in later rounds, however, EVERY other team knows what we need, if they want/need a Guard they'll start trading up, potentially leading us to not getting a Guard at all.

This is the danger in leaving the draft to fill gaping holes.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Someone will fall unexpectedly it always happens. Unless we we draft a plug and play guard I don’t expect a lot out of Dak. It doesn’t matter if Dak requires the best protection.if scoring is our goal on offense get the best protection.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Someone will fall unexpectedly it always happens. Unless we we draft a plug and play guard I don’t expect a lot out of Dak. It doesn’t matter if Dak requires the best protection.if scoring is our goal on offense get the best protection.

Yep, as we all accept we use the draft and not FA are the primary method of improving the roster. Because of that we arent in the position to continue to draft BPA without any regard to positional need.

tunahelper

Reaction score
I do believe the Cowboys have an OL challenge with the hole at LG, a backup up at RT, a ? at Center and Smith's inability to stay healthy.

I also believe there are some good OL early in this draft but the fall off is pretty steep after 15; however, the next grouping is about the same through the first two days, if you buy into the draft analysis people.

They picked Williams in the 2nd and tried to change an OT to OG and it never really worked. McGovern was a 3rd and couldn't take the job from Williams. So, the odds of repeating that are too good. Bottom line is it takes time.

The WR position is deep with 6-7 projected in the 1st and there are some that could step in as a starter in the 3 man group, at least until Gallup is ready.

Under normal circumstances we'd say start building that OL with a 1st because they've done well with 1sts but those were better 1sts than what will be at 24. Trade up for a blue chipper day one starter? OK.

But this team has management that will never consider the word rebuild and they want to compete every year and are coming off a 12 win division winning season so what to address first? Whatever helps the QB the most. That is Job 1.

If the mode is win now, then the choice is simple, WR. Get another weapon for the QB with the 1st and then get the OL later.

This doesn't address DL or LB in the 1st because I don't think that is the debate, it will be offense in the 1st. If some edge guy fell, they might react to that but I think they're better at WR's in the 1st than DE's.

It does not matter what player they take in the 1st if the do not fix the latency with the QB. The Giants had this same issue with their OL and they worked with Manning to get his release out quicker, quicker reads with the understanding this could result in more picks. Better than strip sacks or injuries to the QB.

And this is not about the QB but about how to best help him in this draft. Yes, he needs a better OL but a better WR corps is easier to come by and quicker when they want to win now.

We need to focus on the trenches. Build up OL and DL unless a freak pick falls to us.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me, this is an easy question.

I'd go o-line. What good is another receiver if the running game stinks and the QB is on his butt. Protect Dak, give him a good running game (with a solid o-line), and the passing game will be okay, especially if they pick up a 3rd receiver in round 3.

This is the correct answer, assuming we only have the two options to choose from.

Wide receiver is the most plentiful position in football. But people want to try to ignore that fact because they’re obsessed with flash.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
OL is a big part of the passing game and running game and needs to be addressed. WR Dallas has 2 very good WR on the roster and picked up one in FA and it is a position pretty deep in the draft that you can find a 3rd WR later in the draft. OL and DL are keys to this team improving off of last season

cowboyec

Reaction score
as much as i like wr treylon burks...i'm not sure he's enough to make me move off texas a&m og kenyon green.
a message board in early april is one thing...but on the clock....

kskboys

Reaction score
I know the difference but the Cowboys don't have as urgent a need there, unless one of the top prospects falls to 24 and they can't pass him up. They've drafted five DT's the past three years.

Right now if Gallup isn't ready for week one the Cowboys' WR depth chart reads Lamb, Washington, Brown, and Fehoku. Quite the drop off from Lamb, Cooper, Gallup, and Wilson.
And one backup NT.

That was funny, BTW. Saying you know the difference, then going into how many DT's we've drafted w/o counting how many were NT's.

So what you're proposing is to keep drafting starters at only select positions just in case. That's a pretty strange draft strategy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The thought of even drafting a WR with our 1st pick is ridiculous. We have a WR 1 and WR 2. It’s why Cooper was dispensable .

We have so many other needs and priorities . I think the bigger argument is do we go OL or defense with our 1st pick with needs at DL and S.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And one backup NT.

That was funny, BTW. Saying you know the difference, then going into how many DT's we've drafted w/o counting how many were NT's.

So what you're proposing is to keep drafting starters at only select positions just in case. That's a pretty strange draft strategy.
Yea, if we go WR early it’s a recipe for failure . These fantasy fans are absurd. WR is not a priority need or weakness for us.

Our needs are so glaring in OL and DL.

kskboys

Reaction score
You take BPA. You don't take a 2nd rd OL in the 1st over a 1st rd talent just because you need one.
Since there's no way to determine BPA, that wouldn't work. Fredsy turned out to be BPA in that draft, remember?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If WR is a need, then the Lamb pick was a horrible pick.
Yep. Not to mention the big contract to Gallup. And we used our Franchise Tag on another key receiver in Shultz. We also resigned Noah Brown and added James Washington in FA.

If fans see WR as a priority they are nuts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Since there's no way to determine BPA, that wouldn't work. Fredsy turned out to be BPA in that draft, remember?
BPA is based on your needs.

You don’t draft a Qb if he’s BPA.

If there’s not a player who fits our needs at our pick then you trade up or down.

kskboys

Reaction score
BPA is based on your needs.

You don’t draft a Qb if he’s BPA.

If there’s not a player who fits our needs at our pick then you trade up or down.
Well, it's really not, however, the best strategy is needs based BPA. In other words, always have your needs in mind, but don't take a much lesser prospect due to need.