CFZ The Organic Tank

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I have scrolled and followed your reasoning/logic of this OP.
My one gorilla in the room factor that has not been mentioned is does this mean Dak gets a 3rd contract for this projected 1 to 2 year re-build or is it a true start from scratch re-build with a new draft pick at QB?
Inquiring minds wanna know, lol.

Good question… have wondered that myself. Huge season (again) for Dak. No more injury recovery excuse. How he performs the next 2 seasons will determine what his next contract will look like

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He hired MM for 5 years and is paying him millions whether he is HC here or not.

So yah— setting him up to fail so he can be a scapegoat, while simultaneously clearing cap space and adjusting the roster for a run in 2023/24 is not laughable as you say.

Think about it: Fire MM and pay out his contract AND go through a HC search and pay a new guy, only to STILL have to make these cuts and languish in a mediocre season….

OR: pay MM, make the cuts, blame and fire him for under-achieving, THEN hire the new HC who has more cap flex (Zeke will likely be gone next year too) and adjusted roster to make a run in 2023?

We will just have to see what happens this year… I don’t see this team winning more than 9 games this season. Do you?

All the cuts were great moves and obvious moves. Just like cutting Zeke next year. All of them make the team better in the next year or two and allows us to better design the team. Jerry always thinks were winning it all every year anyway so I see no way he is secretly trying to make us fail.

But I do agree that our best chance to make a run will be 2023 when Zeke's gone. Cap should be in the best spot we have been in 10 years and the young defense should be coming of age. Hopefully we can fix the line completely by then.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I think you give twiddle dee and twiddle dumm too much credit for trying to concoct a master plan for 2023....these two have shown nothing but inconsistent behavior with no clue as to properly building a well rounded team that will compete for championships. They have tried it 26 times and counting. More like knee jerk decisions are made by these two payasos.. As for Payton coming over, that dream is a pipe dream, he wants no part of this crap show.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Look who cares about a few million a year when you are a multi billionaire? That's not stopping Jerry from making a coaching change at all.

visionary

Reaction score
It was clear that JJ was upset after the SF loss as he did not immediately give a vote of confidence to MM’s return. He talks up Quinn as a potential HC. The relationship between MM and the FO seems icy and tense now— a far cry from the sleepover pajama days of 2020.

Since the SF loss? JJ trades, restructures, and cuts bloated salary and unwanted players from the roster.

MM is 2 years into a 5 year deal. JJ is paying him whether he is HC or not. Do you bring in a new HC and pay two guys while you adjust your roster and try and solve your cap issues?

Or do you pay the current HC and saddle him with roster reforms that will lead to a justifiable firing after a mediocre year— while at the same time clearing cap and roster issues to set up your next HC in a decent position?

I think the FO is making some course corrections and are allowing McCarthy to “go down with the ship” in order to be in a better position in 2023 with either Quinn or Payton installed as HC.

This is the only strategy that makes any sense— considering the mood and moves made this offseason.

I am not saying I am in support of this strategy— just mulling over the current state of the franchise and the puzzling decisions of the FO. But— if you want out of some bad decisions you have made in terms of contracts, you are going to have to face the music at some point and eat a crap sandwich.

Best to eat those sandwiches in one bite rather than a nibble here or there. Is it possible that this strange offseason is evidence that the FO is allowing this season to tank in order get out from some bad moves and deals with their eyes on 2023?

Dont agree at all
Where you see this plan I see incompetence and ignorance
You’re reading too much into it
They really think what they are doing works

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Dont agree at all
Where you see this plan I see incompetence and ignorance
You’re reading too much into it
They really think what they are doing works

You may well be right. And if you are— we are beyond screwed. The optimist in me has to cling to some tiny shred of hope that the FO is talking through problems and actually has a plan and strategy.

But the cynic in me agrees with you lol

Acceptablename

Reaction score
:hammer::hammer:

Everything makes sense here. Fix the line and the offense should be one of the best again.

Has Moore reached his peak or can he adjust and be creative?
yrs fix the line but I don't see an automatic tough team
I'm so negative now and that's unusual

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was clear that JJ was upset after the SF loss as he did not immediately give a vote of confidence to MM’s return. He talks up Quinn as a potential HC. The relationship between MM and the FO seems icy and tense now— a far cry from the sleepover pajama days of 2020.

Since the SF loss? JJ trades, restructures, and cuts bloated salary and unwanted players from the roster.

MM is 2 years into a 5 year deal. JJ is paying him whether he is HC or not. Do you bring in a new HC and pay two guys while you adjust your roster and try and solve your cap issues?

Or do you pay the current HC and saddle him with roster reforms that will lead to a justifiable firing after a mediocre year— while at the same time clearing cap and roster issues to set up your next HC in a decent position?

I think the FO is making some course corrections and are allowing McCarthy to “go down with the ship” in order to be in a better position in 2023 with either Quinn or Payton installed as HC.

This is the only strategy that makes any sense— considering the mood and moves made this offseason.

I am not saying I am in support of this strategy— just mulling over the current state of the franchise and the puzzling decisions of the FO. But— if you want out of some bad decisions you have made in terms of contracts, you are going to have to face the music at some point and eat a crap sandwich.

Best to eat those sandwiches in one bite rather than a nibble here or there. Is it possible that this strange offseason is evidence that the FO is allowing this season to tank in order get out from some bad moves and deals with their eyes on 2023?

Oh common! Lets not pretend like losing Gregory and Amari and was all part of some grand plan. We botched the gregory negotiation and the player chose another team. Thats not a plan. That is incompetence. Amari was also offered but refused a pay cut giving us very little choice considering his 2022 cap hit. La'El was just a guy the FO wanted to move on from............ ok fine. But go out and get an equivalent talent. Steele is not an equivalent player and has zero chance of dominating the way La El did when he was healthy. All we have done on the right side is make Zach Martins life more difficult.

All 3 guys were replaced with lesser talents. Thats not a good thing on a team that couldn't win a playoff game.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think you give twiddle dee and twiddle dumm too much credit for trying to concoct a master plan for 2023....these two have shown nothing but inconsistent behavior with no clue as to properly building a well rounded team that will compete for championships. They have tried it 26 times and counting. More like knee jerk decisions are made by these two payasos.. As for Payton coming over, that dream is a pipe dream, he wants no part of this crap show.
I've never thought Payton was ever even a consideration. That was pure fan speculation.

blueblood70

Reaction score

allegedly using this strategy...

i say they are not.

so get passed the old guesses to why they made these moved. It was apparent salary vs knucklehead and production factors. All the players released were most of the payers fans wanted cut

Cwill Mr. penalty
Collins - mr suspension injury and out of shape
Gregory -Mr suspension under achiever who also committed knuckled penalties in the 9er game
Zurlien-got inconsistent post surgery
Jawrin-Mr injury overpaid=gone
AC-last on the list but has in the past been accused of not showing up on the road, big games, not apparent enough and now his numbers or use were in decline, add in the 2 games he missed plus that fot injury keeps popping up id say the jonses had 22million reasons to let him walk.

its not a mystery, there's no strategy to tank this team doesn't tank see the end of 2020 Jerry won't allow it and BTW need more evidence, they resigned Gallup and Schultz to a FT that doesn't happen if you are planning to tank. Got that yet?? this conspiracy over an off season that makes sense to me says otherwise.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
allegedly using this strategy...

i say they are not.

so get passed the old guesses to why they made these moved. It was apparent salary vs knucklehead and production factors. All the players released were most of the payers fans wanted cut

Cwill Mr. penalty
Collins - mr suspension injury and out of shape
Gregory -Mr suspension under achiever who also committed knuckled penalties in the 9er game
Zurlien-got inconsistent post surgery
Jawrin-Mr injury overpaid=gone
AC-last on the list but has in the past been accused of not showing up on the road, big games, not apparent enough and now his numbers or use were in decline, add in the 2 games he missed plus that fot injury keeps popping up id say the jonses had 22million reasons to let him walk.

its not a mystery, there's no strategy to tank this team doesn't tank see the end of 2020 Jerry won't allow it and BTW need more evidence, they resigned Gallup and Schultz to a FT that doesn't happen if you are planning to tank. Got that yet?? this conspiracy over an off season that makes sense to me says otherwise.

Its one thing to make the cuts… then either replace or upgrade the position with a player of similar or improved talent.

They have gotten worse in terms of talent and done very little to address their deficiencies. Before you lecture me on the draft and all— just bear in mind they have cut 3 starters (Williams, Coop, Collins) and not replaced any of them yet— from a roster that obviously wasn’t good enough last year.

Most drafts you are lucky to get one plug and play starter— and we need 3– especially at LG and WR with Gallup recovering.

They may and try and add some bargain bin FAs after the draft— but that will more than likely mean treading water in terms of talent vs upgrades.

Add in the scandals and bad PR and this is one of the worst offseasons since 2000

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've never thought Payton was ever even a consideration. That was pure fan speculation.

Not this year, but if MM fails to win a playoff game again , where else can Jerry turn? I guess he could promote Quinn but Jerry is all about flash and headlines. A sean payton return to the cowboys would be the kind of splash that gives Jerry a lot of positive national media exposure.......... and something he can sell to fans.

Jerry and Sean are friends off the field and it doesn't take much imagination to see a fit. My guess is that it will come down to Whether Sean wants to coach again after working in TV........... or it might come down to the right situation. Obviously, he's not going anywhere that doesn't have a QB he thinks can win. Thats pretty much why he quit NO.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Its one thing to make the cuts… then either replace or upgrade the position with a player of similar or improved talent.

They have gotten worse in terms of talent and done very little to address their deficiencies. Before you lecture me on the draft and all— just bear in mind they have cut 3 starters (Williams, Coop, Collins) and not replaced any of them yet— from a roster that obviously wasn’t good enough last year.

Most drafts you are lucky to get one plug and play starter— and we need 3– especially at LG and WR with Gallup recovering.

They may and try and add some bargain bin FAs after the draft— but that will more than likely mean treading water in terms of talent vs upgrades.

Add in the scandals and bad PR and this is one of the worst offseasons since 2000

NEED???? worst off season i disagree thats your opinion. ironically enough you can NOT judge and offseason until after 17 games are played.

no the holes can be filled in the draft, already on the team in camp battles, and FA who are still available post draft , many will be cut especially after June first and we have all the way up to game 1 which is 6monyhs away to build roster,..give it break, no tanking is being done whatsoever..period end of debate, we know the Jonses well enough to know they dont tank..EVER

jst because your perspective and deep feelings say they are donest make it true..

im telling you you are WRONG they arent in some sort of hidden tank mode..period

those players lost were causing many more issues ie their production vs talent vs salary were jiving. Its easy to see why they were let go and by game 1 we will have team and by January 2023 we can debate what the season was like..all this nonsense is just that fans being emotional conspiracy theory and really i dont see a bad offseason i see an off season of purging players who are supposed to eb difference makers in big games and that 9er game and few games throughout the seaosn those cut were the bigger part of why we lost games..they are now GONE

that not tanking thats sending message that no mater your name and status on this team , you are being cut for many reasons but mostly you aren't living up to your hype.

we arent depending solely on the draft to fill holes..will help but many FAS are left and more to come with 6months to go through camps and Preseason to settle on a roster.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
NEED???? worst off season i disagree thats your opinion. ironically enough you can NOT judge and offseason until after 17 games are played.

no the holes can be filled in the draft, already on the team in camp battles, and FA who are still available post draft , many will be cut especially after June first and we have all the way up to game 1 which is 6monyhs away to build roster,..give it break, no tanking is being done whatsoever..period end of debate, we know the Jonses well enough to know they dont tank..EVER

jst because your perspective and deep feelings say they are donest make it true..

im telling you you are WRONG they arent in some sort of hidden tank mode..period

those players lost were causing many more issues ie their production vs talent vs salary were jiving. Its easy to see why they were let go and by game 1 we will have team and by January 2023 we can debate what the season was like..all this nonsense is just that fans being emotional conspiracy theory and really i dont see a bad offseason i see an off season of purging players who are supposed to eb difference makers in big games and that 9er game and few games throughout the seaosn those cut were the bigger part of why we lost games..they are now GONE

that not tanking thats sending message that no mater your name and status on this team , you are being cut for many reasons but mostly you aren't living up to your hype.

we arent depending solely on the draft to fill holes..will help but many FAS are left and more to come with 6months to go through camps and Preseason to settle on a roster.

It’s clear you like the moves and cuts… but these were all guys this FO signed and extended— so if they were all bad apples like you suggest— why pay them big money to begin with? But I digress

We can certainly have different opinions about the offseason. No problem there— but there are some objective facts to consider as well:

1. To this point— the roster is less talented in 2022 vs 2021. Do you agree?

2. The FO has chosen to maintain the status quo on the coaching staff… and not to add any significant upgrades via FA (to this point).

You have a point. They may add some guys after the draft— and they had some success adding some FAs last year that performed well.

That said— this roster was clearly not good enough last year to contend. Your “addition by subtraction” approach is flawed in my opinion. It’s propped up on the expectation that rookies and less expensive players will all play above their expected production levels.

Your optimism fits right in with the FO’s approach lol… You may be right. Maybe it all comes together and unicorns and rainbows will abound in Big D

From my perspective this looks like a 8-10 win team that may be good enough to win the East but is simply not able to compete with GB, TB, or LAR at this point. What do you anticipate their record to be?

Cowfan75

Reaction score
If Jerry wanted to hit the reset button, he could have done better. He still tried to dump 70 million on Gregory. He has no plan. The truth is likely so bad that it would make us wish for an organic tank with some strategy for 2023. The reality is, I think, Jerry has moved on to bigger fish, and Stephen just doesn't care.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I don’t think we’re tanking at all. I think the FO really thinks they are improving the team.

I think the subtraction of firepower in the passing game may help the offense overall. This team needs to run the ball more because Dak passing 50 times per game is a losing strategy. He may shred bad teams but we have to run the ball vs good teams to have a chance. That being said, we need to hit on a guard early in the draft and we need Tyron to stay healthy. Big ask….

We haven’t made any improvements on defense, where we were overrated because of the MP hype. I’d sign Hitchens after the draft and hopefully find a player early in the draft to help run defense.

We also need a kicker and a punt returner. No way Lamb keeps that gig as our #1 WR.

I’m not optimistic but I think we still have a chance to be a better, more consistent team next season. A lot of things have to go right in the draft and we have to stay healthy with less depth.

shabazz

Reaction score
All the cuts were great moves and obvious moves. Just like cutting Zeke next year. All of them make the team better in the next year or two and allows us to better design the team. Jerry always thinks were winning it all every year anyway so I see no way he is secretly trying to make us fail.

But I do agree that our best chance to make a run will be 2023 when Zeke's gone. Cap should be in the best spot we have been in 10 years and the young defense should be coming of age. Hopefully we can fix the line completely by then.

can’t disagree. They will need that money to field the 85 Bears defense,reincarnate.