The Penn State Aftermath Thread *Penalty Post #403*

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
“It’s unbelievable to think that kind of corruption came right from the top of the power structure. The NCAA did what it had to do in canceling SMU’s 1988 football season.”

- Joe Paterno on the SMU scandal from 1987

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
joseephuss;4621280 said:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/jerry_sandusky_case_three_men.html

Jerry Sandusky case: Three men say they were abused in '70s or '80s

Sources close to the Jerry Sandusky case say that three men have come forward and told police that they were abused in the 1970s or 1980s by the convicted pedophile.

They are the first men to allege abuse before the 1990s, and if found to be credible, would directly attack the 68-year-old's defense argument that a person doesn't become pedophile in his or her 50s.

In the early 1970s, when one of the men says he was abused, Jerry Sandusky would have been in his late 20s.

Not really a surprise. A serial child molestor who has a massive breeding ground for little boys just doesn't start molesting boys 20 years in.

YR

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
burmafrd;4621247 said:
until you admit that it was NOT a mistake but a failure to stand up when given repeated chances, then you don't get it either.

He failed to stand up when given a chance.

I don't think he knew about any incidents other than the 98 incident and the one that McQueary told him about though.. i don't think many people did at all until recently.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Jay;4621400 said:
Yup, I do get it. Continue downplaying Paterno's actions (or lack thereof) and continue to talk about judging others and how we are all sinners.

The guy could have stopped many lives from being destroyed and didn't. That's all there is to it.

Not downplaying any of what Paterno chose to do in this situation. No other way to say it except he was flat out WRONG. I've said that many times, actually.

He could have "helped" stop many lives from being destoryed (possibly), is a more accurate statement. Police knew about Sandusky's behavior in 98 too and failed to do anything, so it could have gone down that way again and more children would have been harmed anyway.

Alot of people could have helped prevent more children from being harmed, im talking over 100.. and alot failed. Joe was one of them, indeed.

joseephuss

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4621665 said:
Not downplaying any of what Paterno chose to do in this situation. No other way to say it except he was flat out WRONG. I've said that many times, actually.

He could have "helped" stop many lives from being destoryed (possibly), is a more accurate statement. Police knew about Sandusky's behavior in 98 too and failed to do anything, so it could have gone down that way again and more children would have been harmed anyway.

Alot of people could have helped prevent more children from being harmed, im talking over 100.. and alot failed. Joe was one of them, indeed.

To say the police failed to do anything is inaccurate. Police investigated the claim in 1998. That is doing something. The failure of the police was that they didn't do enough. They were unable to collect enough evidence for the DA to pursue charges. The Freeh report touches on the police department's inadequacies.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
joseephuss;4621109 said:
It would be two coaches who could possibly considered criminal. Sandusky obviously, but I think you can say that Paterno is a criminal. Covering up what happened can be considered criminal.

I think it can also fall under NCAA rules about not reporting a crime. Plus the NCAA makes up rules at whim, so it is possible that they could have the power to punish Penn St. I am not saying they should at this point, but I think they could if they wanted.

The NCAA could claim there was a lack of institutional control that led to these events. They could even boot strap it with all the player arrests that have occurred in the last decade. And even though Paterno is gone, the current coaches all worked under Paterno, so they still follow his basic methods and teachings. The fact that there are new incoming players, students and/or staffs has never influenced the NCAA's decisions on how to punish a program. They don't consider that these new people aren't the wrong doers when deciding punishment. They just do what they do. I don't expect the NCAA to step in and assert their authority and I don't think they need to, but they could if they chose so.

Well considering the NCAA rule book is some 10,000 pages and they seemingly make up rules as they go along, they could potentially find any way to tie it to athletics and institute some sort of punishment.

I expect them to do something, though I'm not entirely sure that they should.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think the NCAA pretty much has control over the colleges much like the NFL has control over the teams. So if they want to give Penn State the death penalty, then I don’t see anything that says they can’t.

Like I said earlier, I think this goes to show that SMU should not have been given the death penalty because it sets a precedent that the NCAA doesn’t seem willing to live up to. To tell me that the U. of Miami situation with Nevin Shapiro was not as bad as the SMU situation is ridiculous. In fact, in the SMU situation they kept paying the athletes in part because there was some sort of obligation to stick to their agreement with them.

But the PSU situation is every bit worse than the SMU case. The largest scandal in the history of sport that had every involved for over years and may have extended to the District Attorney. Furthermore, it’s apparent that the school and most of its fans really don’t get it when it comes to Paterno.

I’m actually not for the death penalty here, but one cannot deny that if SMU got the death penalty for what they did, PSU certainly deserves the death penalty. And if there’s a reason for the death penalty here it’s that PSU continues to tarnish college football and college sports all together.

YR

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
joseephuss;4622349 said:
To say the police failed to do anything is inaccurate. Police investigated the claim in 1998. That is doing something. The failure of the police was that they didn't do enough. They were unable to collect enough evidence for the DA to pursue charges. The Freeh report touches on the police department's inadequacies.

Failed to do anything meant "failed to do anything to stop him".. the last part was implied. Guess i should have made that more clear.

They had enough evidence to pursue charges, btw.. they chose not to. Sandusky had admitted to showering with the boy in 98 and inappropriately touching him, as well as admitting he'd showered with other boys before too. They asked him if he was ever going to do it again, he said he couldn't promise that, they let him get off by basically just saying, "Ok, well don't do it again."

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
It appears some students are moving on...

Paternoville is no more.

Days after the Freeh report implicated the late Joe Paterno in the cover-up surrounding the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal at Penn State, the student organization that runs the tent village set up outside Gate A at Beaver Stadium before home games announced it has changed its name. Paternoville has become Nittanyville.

The organization, renamed the Nittanyville Coordinating Committee, released a statement Monday night announcing the change.

It reads in part:
Since Penn State joined the Big Ten in 1993, Penn State students have camped out at Beaver Stadium in order to guarantee themselves a rail-side seat -- though students hardly ever sit -- for a home football game. In 2005, a student termed the encampment "Paternoville," and the name stuck through the 2011 season.
"Now, it's a new era of Nittany Lion football," committee president Troy Weller said. "And by changing the name to Nittanyville we want to return the focus to the overall team and the thousands of students who support it. We thank the Paterno family for their gracious assistance and support over the last several years."

The group added that it will donate a portion of its fundraising proceeds to the newly established Center for the Protection of Children based at Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital. Kudos to them for doing so.

More

trickblue

Reaction score
This may get ugly...

4x8la.jpg

It's an airplane flying over PSU with a banner that reads "TAKE THE STATUE DOWN OR WE WILL"...

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
This situation will likely only get uglier and uglier before it ever starts to calm down and go away.

Terrible, terrible, terrible job by all involved in this whole thing to allow something like this to have been going on.

Disgusting on the most vile of levels.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
joseephuss;4623525 said:
Voicing their opinions on the matter. So terrible. :rolleyes:

Trying to be anonymous tough guys.. lame. You can't voice an opinion without actually putting your voice or your name to it.. and furthermore, its not even an opinion.

Everyone is so eager to pick fights over the pettiest things in this country, yet the things that truely matter go largely ignored.

Newsflash.. how about instead of making threats against a statue, you go volunteer at a child abuse center? Do something that actually matters. Like they actually think they'll get away with whatever they are planning anyway. That statue will be guarded around the clock by campus security. Just some fake tough punks trying to get their 15 minutes instead of worrying about things that actually matter.

Rogah

Reaction score
casmith07;4622357 said:
Well considering the NCAA rule book is some 10,000 pages and they seemingly make up rules as they go along, they could potentially find any way to tie it to athletics and institute some sort of punishment.
The NCAA is a collection of hundreds of member colleges and universities. They can do anything they darn well want to so long as the members go along, and I find it hard to believe that any of the members are going to go out on a limb for Penn State.

If the NCAA gives Penn State the death penalty, we won't be hearing many official protests from anyone else. No school would be stupid enough to wade into that quagmire.

Rogah

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4622371 said:
Like I said earlier, I think this goes to show that SMU should not have been given the death penalty because it sets a precedent that the NCAA doesn’t seem willing to live up to. To tell me that the U. of Miami situation with Nevin Shapiro was not as bad as the SMU situation is ridiculous. In fact, in the SMU situation they kept paying the athletes in part because there was some sort of obligation to stick to their agreement with them.
The theory has been advanced that the "death penalty" ended up being more punitive than they actually wanted it to be. Despite its name, the "death penalty" was not meant to be something so devastating or so permanent so while it still remains on the books, not many people thought we'd ever see it enacted again.

Rogah

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4623800 said:
Newsflash.. how about instead of making threats against a statue, you go volunteer at a child abuse center? Do something that actually matters.
Your sanctimony is getting rather tiresome.
RoyTheHammer;4623800 said:
That statue will be guarded around the clock by campus security.
Kinda says something that such a thing is necessary, ya know?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Rogah;4624020 said:
The NCAA is a collection of hundreds of member colleges and universities. They can do anything they darn well want to so long as the members go along, and I find it hard to believe that any of the members are going to go out on a limb for Penn State.

If the NCAA gives Penn State the death penalty, we won't be hearing many official protests from anyone else. No school would be stupid enough to wade into that quagmire.

I don't think anyone would even support Penn State.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Rogah;4624034 said:
Your sanctimony is getting rather tiresome.
Kinda says something that such a thing is necessary, ya know?

Im tired of ignorant comments being made.. such as your first.

What else is there to do when people made silly threats? Its obviously a piece of PSU culture that's very valued so to think they are going to let it defaced or destroyed by some idiots and risk the backlash from their entire community is something that's just not going to happen.

trickblue

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4624088 said:
Im tired of ignorant comments being made.. such as your first.

What else is there to do when people made silly threats? Its obviously a piece of PSU culture that's very valued so to think they are going to let it defaced or destroyed by some idiots and risk the backlash from their entire community is something that's just not going to happen.

Penn State is in crisis... regardless of what you believe, public perception is at an all-time low...

They HAVE to take down the statue in order to save face...

Their negative public persona is going to be off the charts if they adhere to JoePa...

They are easily the most hated program in college right now...

It doesn't matter what you think, it matters what the rest of the world thinks... and right now... PSU football is not getting good reviews...