The Penn State Aftermath Thread *Penalty Post #403*

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Rogah;4628725 said:
ESPN is doing their usual schizophrenic routine here, where they have multiple reporters reporting everything they know, even if they're all contradicting each other.
Ha... So true.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Rogah;4628705 said:
The NCAA is going to make an announcement regarding punishment tomorrow morning. According to some sources, it will not be the death penalty. However, before anyone gets disappointed that the NCAA is being too lenient, ESPN is reporting:

"The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable, the source said."
they should just go ahead and admit the death penalty will never be given to a major football program. Too much TV money.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I have never heard of the death penalty in football. What exactly does that mean? No more football ever for that school?

jimmy40

Reaction score
BoysFan4ever;4628751 said:
I have never heard of the death penalty in football. What exactly does that mean? No more football ever for that school?
No football for a certain amount of time. SMU was given the death penalty for 1 year and then no home games the second year but decided not to play at all the second year. They never recovered, but they deserved the penalty.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
jimmy40;4628757 said:
No football for a certain amount of time. SMU was given the death penalty for 1 year and then no home games the second year but decided not to play at all the second year. They never recovered, but they deserved the penalty.

Thank you. I never knew that even existed. Will be very interesting then to see what happen to PS.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Rogah;4628725 said:
ESPN is doing their usual schizophrenic routine here, where they have multiple reporters reporting everything they know, even if they're all contradicting each other. Some reports are saying that it will be no more than the usual routine of loss of scholarships and bowl appearances.

I guess we'll find out in about 21 hours.
seems like they're coming out with penalties in a hurry. I guess they want to just get this over with. I don't see the penalties being that harsh, probably lose a couple scholarships and only blue Gatorade at practice for two years.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jimmy40;4628767 said:
seems like they're coming out with penalties in a hurry. I guess they want to just get this over with. I don't see the penalties being that harsh, probably lose a couple scholarships and only blue Gatorade at practice for two years.

Boy jimmy, I think it's going to cost them more than a couple scholarships. I think it's going to be harsh.

jimmy40

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4628789 said:
Boy jimmy, I think it's going to cost them more than a couple scholarships. I think it's going to be harsh.
could be I guess. So what do you think would be harsh?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rogah;4628705 said:
The NCAA is going to make an announcement regarding punishment tomorrow morning. According to some sources, it will not be the death penalty. However, before anyone gets disappointed that the NCAA is being too lenient, ESPN is reporting:

"The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable, the source said."
Just what the heck does that mean? Football is (customarily) the major revenue stream for any university participating in the sport. If the entire university administration was removed, it would still not be as harsh as killing the football program for a designated period of time. Just my two cents.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RoyTheHammer;4628709 said:
Erickson has come out already and said that Paterno's name will stay on the library.
If that stance holds up, it will pretty much validate what I've been saying all along.

joseephuss

Reaction score
DallasEast;4628862 said:
Just what the heck does that mean? Football is (customarily) the major revenue stream for any university participating in the sport. If the entire university administration was removed, it would still not be as harsh as killing the football program for a designated period of time. Just my two cents.

No TV or bowl appearances for say 5 years may be more harsh than having no football program for one single season. Throw in a reduction in scholarships over that same time period and it could be very difficult to bring in quality players. Would you take one thrown away season over 5 lackluster seasons? Both types of penalties are going to hurt you in the long run as well.

I think the difference will be, which type of penalty hurts the conference the least. The death penalty that SMU received hurt the SWC as well. Teams had to scramble to find replacement teams to put on the schedule. The death penalty influenced and accelerated Arkansas' decision to leave the conference.

jimmy40

Reaction score
I see lawsuits coming from Penn State since this isn't going through the normal channels. I believe this is going to get even uglier if that's possible.

joseephuss

Reaction score
DallasEast;4628865 said:
If that stance holds up, it will pretty much validate what I've been saying all along.

What is that? I think I missed what your stance was.

I overheard them talking about the library on ESPN earlier while I was shaving. According to whomever was speaking, the Paterno name was put on the library more as an acknowledgement to Joe and his wife for their contributations to the library rather than to just Joe himself. That could be a reason why a move has not been made yet or may not be made at all. Remains to be seen.

jimmy40

Reaction score
joseephuss;4628909 said:
No TV or bowl appearances for say 5 years may be more harsh than having no football program for one single season. Throw in a reduction in scholarships over that same time period and it could be very difficult to bring in quality players. Would you take one thrown away season over 5 lackluster seasons? Both types of penalties are going to hurt you in the long run as well.

I think the difference will be, which type of penalty hurts the conference the least. The death penalty that SMU received hurt the SWC as well. Teams had to scramble to find replacement teams to put on the schedule. The death penalty influenced and accelerated Arkansas' decision to leave the conference.
no TV for 5 years? So whatever TV network has Big 10 games will surely want to redo their contract don't you think? I wonder if there is anything in the contracts in case something like this happens.

burmafrd

Reaction score
its pretty clear without something happening somewhere that was much worse then SMU the Death Penalty will never happen again. ANd it is hard to imagine how much worse any program could get then SMU was back then.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jimmy40;4628910 said:
I see lawsuits coming from Penn State since this isn't going through the normal channels. I believe this is going to get even uglier if that's possible.

No... Penn State isn't going to fight this.

They want it over and done with.

joseephuss

Reaction score
jimmy40;4628915 said:
no TV for 5 years? So whatever TV network has Big 10 games will surely want to redo their contract don't you think? I wonder if there is anything in the contracts in case something like this happens.

I would think so if I were a TV network. And the 5 years is just something I threw out as a comparison to being more harsh than the death penalty. I don't know what the actual penalty is going to be. I don't know if the NCAA will go as far as to create a penalty strong enough to equal or surpass the death penalty, but I have been surprised by their decisions in the past.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
joseephuss;4628911 said:
What is that? I think I missed what your stance was.

I overheard them talking about the library on ESPN earlier while I was shaving. According to whomever was speaking, the Paterno name was put on the library more as an acknowledgement to Joe and his wife for their contributations to the library rather than to just Joe himself. That could be a reason why a move has not been made yet or may not be made at all. Remains to be seen.

I was curious as to this as well. From what i heard, he said it will stand because it serves to remember all the positive contributions Joe made to the community, the university, and the students.

Rogah

Reaction score
jimmy40;4628767 said:
Some speculation I've heard is that by rushing to make the announcement, the kids will have time to transfer out and get somewhere for this upcoming season.