The Penn State Aftermath Thread *Penalty Post #403*

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;4628911 said:
What is that? I think I missed what your stance was.
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4618967&postcount=116

And it's not so much a stance, but an opinion on any set course of action.
joseephuss;4628911 said:
I overheard them talking about the library on ESPN earlier while I was shaving. According to whomever was speaking, the Paterno name was put on the library more as an acknowledgement to Joe and his wife for their contributations to the library rather than to just Joe himself. That could be a reason why a move has not been made yet or may not be made at all. Remains to be seen.
That's what I've previously described as having your cake and eating it too.

Rogah

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4629074 said:
An excuse to do nothing?

lol.. i don't even know what you're implying by that. Certainly, they are going to do something, but punishing people who had nothing to do with it is stupid.

..and its got nothing to do with PSU. If i found out that some higher ups at whatever company you work for had engaged in this sort of behavior and the result was going to be that you were fired along with all of them, even though you had nothing to do with it, i'd say that was stupid as well.
Ya well you know what? That sort of thing happens all the time and is a very real possibility in the real world.

According to your logic that "punishing people who had nothing to do with it is stupid," the NCAA could never punish anyone because any punishment doled out would impact people who had nothing to do with it.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
TwoDeep3;4629034 said:
I have a real issue with sanctions which will soon come down on Penn State.

Let me say that I am not a Penn State fan.

The problem I have is the young men who did grow up loving that University and dreaming of one day wearing their colors on the field now will not have that options if the rumors are true.

Criminal convictions of the men who abetted Sandusky and jail time of the most harshest measures would send a direct message to other people in high positions that cover up something this heinous.

But essentially killing a program - and look at SMU and how that program has been toes up since their death penalty - would forever take away this university's football.

Or at least ruined its competitiveness for the next three or four decades.

The people running the school did this. Not the school itself.

They are one and the same.

They are paid (grossly) to represent the school. They are afford all the perks entitled to their position in terms of boosting themselves off the reputation of the shcool and should they have done anything of great importance, Penn State would have assumed as much credit as the individual.

I don't think it's realistic to not hold the collective accountable for the gross behavior of an individual when that individual was enabled by the collective.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rogah;4628936 said:
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Football tends to be the biggest revenue stream from the athletic department, but it's still peanuts compared to other revenue streams universities have.
What other revenue streams would the NCAA go after as punishment for what Sandusky and/or Paterno did or did not do? I'm very interested now to see exactly what this penalty will entail. Somehow, I do not feel as if I will be shocked by its severity.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;4629087 said:
I get you.

College kids don't go to the library anyway, so they probably don't realize Paterno's name was even on it.
:laugh2:

Still, the name is associated with the library. I'm not certain why it should be given a break when the statue didn't receive one. It's pretty much all semantics.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Rogah;4629086 said:
Ya well you know what? That sort of thing happens all the time and is a very real possibility in the real world.

According to your logic that "punishing people who had nothing to do with it is stupid," the NCAA could never punish anyone because any punishment doled out would impact people who had nothing to do with it.

It may happen all the time in "the real world".. however that world varies from the one you and i live in.. but does that make it right?

All the people named in this disgusting situation are either dead, behind bars, or gone from the school (except the ones that are still on indefinite paid vacation right now, which for some reason no one seems to have a problem with, because they arn't named Joe Paterno i guess).. so why punish the students, the new coaching staff and others at PSU who have done nothing wrong and are ready and willing to start forging a new direction for this university?

I understand there have to be consequences, but at least give the new coaching staff and the students who weren't involved a chance. The sanctions no doubt will make it very tough for this team to be competitive in the next few years at least.. but they at least deserve a chance to try.

joseephuss

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4629101 said:
It may happen all the time in "the real world".. however that world varies from the one you and i live in.. but does that make it right?

All the people named in this disgusting situation are either dead, behind bars, or gone from the school (except the ones that are still on indefinite paid vacation right now, which for some reason no one seems to have a problem with, because they arn't named Joe Paterno i guess).. so why punish the students, the new coaching staff and others at PSU who have done nothing wrong and are ready and willing to start forging a new direction for this university?

I understand there have to be consequences, but at least give the new coaching staff and the students who weren't involved a chance. The sanctions no doubt will make it very tough for this team to be competitive in the next few years at least.. but they at least deserve a chance to try.

That is a bunch of bull. People have problems with everyone and anyone involved in this mess. That is just some sort of deflection on your part. Of course Paterno garners the most attention. That is what comes with fame and name recognition whether that is good or bad. It doesn't mean people don't want everyone involved to be held accountable.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
joseephuss;4629106 said:
That is a bunch of bull. People have problems with everyone and anyone involved in this mess. That is just some sort of deflection on your part. Of course Paterno garners the most attention. That is what comes with fame and name recognition whether that is good or bad. It doesn't mean people don't want everyone involved to be held accountable.

Show me one article from a media member who is enraged or even questions why the hell there are people who were proven to be involved in the cover up that are STILL PAID TO TAKE A VACATION RIGHT NOW by PSU?

Has anyone talked about it on here?

Who anywhere is talking about it?

joseephuss

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4629114 said:
Show me one article from a media member who is enraged or even questions why the hell there are people who were proven to be involved in the cover up that are STILL PAID TO TAKE A VACATION RIGHT NOW by PSU?

Again, Paterno makes the most news because he is the biggest name. That does not mean people don't care about everyone that was involved. And yes, people on here have brought up the known names of others involved in this scandal. Maybe not in this particular thread, but in others since this story broke. You just seem to ignore that unless it mentions something about Paterno.

You come across as a pretty judgmental person for someone criticising others for being judgemental. Not that it matters to me. I know I am judgemental.

jimmy40

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4629114 said:

seems like PSU alums would be enraged by this, but I don't see that happening either.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
joseephuss;4629126 said:
Again, Paterno makes the most news because he is the biggest name. That does not mean people don't care about everyone that was involved. And yes, people on here have brought up the known names of others involved in this scandal. Maybe not in this particular thread, but in others since this story broke. You just seem to ignore that unless it mentions something about Paterno.

You come across as a pretty judgmental person for someone criticising others for being judgemental. Not that it matters to me. I know I am judgemental.

This thread is 350 replies long, there have been other threads that have been even longer, i read media reports on this issue daily, and i have yet to see the outrage over the fact that over half a year later, there are people who have been proven to know and do nothing about this that are still being paid by the university.

This is why i have a problem with the way this situation has been covered and with reaction to it. People jump out of their chairs to castrate, condemn, and villainize Joe Paterno.. because the media tells them to. Yet there were over 100 people who did just as much wrong, and more, than Joe, and you don't hear any outrage over them. Furthermore, two of them are still being paid to take an indefinite vacation by the university.. and yet nothing. No outrage, no media coverage, no nothing. If you don't see how that is completely hypocritical and ridiculous.. i don't know what to say.

People here think im defending Joe with all these posts.. the problem i have is that Joe is the only thing people focus on in this entire situation, even more than the man who raped the kids. If people want to be outraged, there are many more relevant things that they could be outraged about with this situation right now, not that any of it is going to help the victims anyway. You'd think there would at least be some kind of media coverage or questioning of why two of these men are still being paid 6 figure salaries right now though.

jimmy40

Reaction score
OK prediction time for these unprecedented penalties:

Loss of 20 scholarships over 4 years
Bowl ban for 5 years.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
jimmy40;4629134 said:
seems like PSU alums would be enraged by this, but I don't see that happening either.

PSU alumns, along with every other member of our society who is following this case. You'd think they'd all be enraged.. but they're not. Why? Because its not in the media and we arn't being told to be enraged by it.

I know some are going to attack that opinion, and that's fine, but what other sensible reason do you have to explain it?

jimmy40

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4629139 said:
This thread is 350 replies long, there have been other threads that have been even longer, i read media reports on this issue daily, and i have yet to see the outrage over the fact that over half a year later, there are people who have been proven to know and do nothing about this that are still being paid by the university.

This is why i have a problem with the way this situation has been covered and with reaction to it. People jump out of their chairs to castrate, condemn, and villainize Joe Paterno.. because the media tells them to. Yet there were over 100 people who did just as much wrong, and more, than Joe, and you don't hear any outrage over them. Furthermore, two of them are still being paid to take an indefinite vacation by the university.. and yet nothing. No outrage, no media coverage, no nothing. If you don't see how that is completely hypocritical and ridiculous.. i don't know what to say.

People here think im defending Joe with all these posts.. the problem i have is that Joe is the only thing people focus on in this entire situation, even more than the man who raped the kids. If people want to be outraged, there are many more relevant things that they could be outraged about with this situation right now, not that any of it is going to help the victims anyway. You'd think there would at least be some kind of media coverage or questioning of why two of these men are still being paid 6 figure salaries right now though.

seems like people are always put on paid leave during a criminal investigation. Didn't Paterno get a bundle of cash when he was fired?

jimmy40

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4629143 said:
PSU alumns, along with every other member of our society who is following this case. You'd think they'd all be enraged.. but they're not. Why? Because its not in the media and we arn't being told to be enraged by it.

I know some are going to attack that opinion, and that's fine, but what other sensible reason do you have to explain it?
seems like people are always put on paid leave during a criminal investigation. They are still investigating this aren't they?

joseephuss

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4629139 said:

You try to equate media coverage with the way all people think. That is simply not the case. People are smarter than that. I know I am and there are plenty of people smarter than me. The general populace know there are more people involved than just Paterno. They want justice brougth to everyone even those whose names have not been made public yet. Anyone who had anything to do with letting Sandusky get away with his heinouse crimes needs to pay for thier part. But keep screaming about hypocrisy. It makes for a nice deflection.

RS12

Reaction score
Case of NCAA justifying its existance IMO. People who commit crimes and cover them up go to prison. This is a legal matter and loss of freedom should be enough of a deterent. If you want to send a message to these universities hit them in the wallet, as in millions. Punishing the current staff and players makes no sense at all.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
joseephuss;4629147 said:
You try to equate media coverage with the way all people think. That is simply not the case. People are smarter than that. I know I am and there are plenty of people smarter than me. The general populace know there are more people involved than just Paterno. They want justice brougth to everyone even those whose names have not been made public yet. Anyone who had anything to do with letting Sandusky get away with his heinouse crimes needs to pay for thier part. But keep screaming about hypocrisy. It makes for a nice deflection.

Then why is no one talking about Curley or Spanier and outraged that they are still being paid 6 figure salaries to take a long vacation right now?

Tell me why you think no one is talking about that, because, certainly, that is something that people should be very upset about, no? They are guys who were also involved, also higher ups at the university, and also didn't do what they should have. Joe is fired and dead, and these guys are sipping martini's watching reruns of MASH on their big screen tv's being paid 6 figure salaries right now by the university to do nothing.. and yet people arn't talking about that anywhere. Why, in your opinion?

Also, please do explain your claim of "deflection" by me bringing up this part of the situation? Should be good..