The Pitts talk is mental

cnuball21

Reaction score
Pitts is not a WR.

Repeat after me: Athletic TEs and WRs are not interchangeable.

His name says TE on the roster but he gives you position flex to do both. He took and won reps on the outside at FL. If we move on from Gallup and take him I'm moving Pitts all over the field to keep him on the field and give him as many looks as possible.

If a team drafts him and keeps him inline like a traditional TE the whole game they are dumb as dirt.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
While that is true, would you pass on Calvin Johnson, even if you already had Jerry Rice and Randy Moss? I don't know about you, but I'm turning in the card with Calvin Johnson's name on it, if that's who I think he is going to be.

Honestly? If I have Jerry Rice and Randy Moss.....and the draft comes and its between Calvin Johnson and.....Champ Bailey? I think I'd take Champ Bailey.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Why is Pitts viewed as a target for the Cowboys, and Chase n Smith not?

I see Pitts as a big WR, so that's why I'm asking.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
For the record, dude ain't making it to #10.
That's the whole point. CeeDee should have never made it to 17 but stuff happens. If Pitts did make it to 10 it would at least make sense. Elite Blue Chip TE vs whatever defender is available, most likely a CB like Farley, Surtain, and Horn.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
So he's a good blocker?
He’s better than a lot of people think but I don’t know if I’d call him great at it or anything. The want to is there, he just hasn’t been asked to do a whole lot of it. I think he’s as good at blocking as Jarwin.

He does block better than WR’s and his length is difficult to deal with when he’s blocking.

Drafting a TE, he’d be replacing Jarwin (or Shultz). Drafting a WR would be replacing one of Lamb/Gallup/Cooper, any one of which is much better at playing WR than Jarwin/Shultz are at playing TE.

Taking Pitts would put Cooper - Lamb - Gallup - Pitts on the field in 11 packages.

Taking Waddle would make that same 11 grouping Cooper - Lamb - Waddle - Jarwin on the field.

Both look very nice but whoever is covering the TE in those instances would see a huge difference.

IMO, the first group with Pitts looks a little more difficult to defend... particularly in the Red Zone. Pitts is a beast in that area of the field.

To be fair though, the second package with Waddle looks scary as hell too. Waddle would give you something that the first group doesn’t have: Raw, pure deep speed.

Frankly, I wouldn’t be upset with Waddle, under the right circumstances. If the front office likes him enough to take at 10, I’d be ok with it. I’d want him more than Chase or Smith, really. Though they both are great players, they are a little redundant to what Dallas already has with Cooper/Lamb/Gallup. Waddle has something those 3 don’t and it would be very bad for defenses to add Waddle’s speed to Lamb and Cooper.

I’d still rather have Pitts though. I think he’s going to be fantastic and would add an element to the Dallas offense that would just kill defenses.

90% chance Dallas drafts defense in round 1 though, so neither will likely happen.

Mr_437

Reaction score
He’s better than a lot of people think but I don’t know if I’d call him great at it or anything. The want to is there, he just hasn’t been asked to do a whole lot of it. I think he’s as good at blocking as Jarwin.

He does block better than WR’s and his length is difficult to deal with when he’s blocking.

Drafting a TE, he’d be replacing Jarwin (or Shultz). Drafting a WR would be replacing one of Lamb/Gallup/Cooper, any one of which is much better at playing WR than Jarwin/Shultz are at playing TE.

Taking Pitts would put Cooper - Lamb - Gallup - Pitts on the field in 11 packages.

Taking Waddle would make that same 11 grouping Cooper - Lamb - Waddle - Jarwin on the field.

Both look very nice but whoever is covering the TE in those instances would see a huge difference.

IMO, the first group with Pitts looks a little more difficult to defend... particularly in the Red Zone. Pitts is a beast in that area of the field.

To be fair though, the second package with Waddle looks scary as hell too. Waddle would give you something that the first group doesn’t have: Raw, pure deep speed.

Frankly, I wouldn’t be upset with Waddle, under the right circumstances. If the front office likes him enough to take at 10, I’d be ok with it. I’d want him more than Chase or Smith, really. Though they both are great players, they are a little redundant to what Dallas already has with Cooper/Lamb/Gallup. Waddle has something those 3 don’t and it would be very bad for defenses to add Waddle’s speed to Lamb and Cooper.

I’d still rather have Pitts though. I think he’s going to be fantastic and would add an element to the Dallas offense that would just kill defenses.

90% chance Dallas drafts defense in round 1 though, so neither will likely happen.
Excellent post. Idk, when I watch Pitts it's like watching CeeDee in the slot, in relation to the area of production and routes. I'm not a fan of Pitts shielding (blocking), but I'm warming up to the possibility of Pitts because before Dak got hurt it was pass heavy offense.

So, my out of left field thought is:
WR1 - Coop
WR2 - Lamb
Slot - Pitts
TE - Jarwin/Shultz

Leaving one of my favorites Gallup being traded for a 3rd rounder or something to add another defender.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You could most likely get a 3rd round pick out of Gallup on draft day, if that's the route you want to take. A team would readily give it up. most likely, because they will probably get a 3rd round pick the following year if he leaves in free agency. The advantage to flipping Gallup now, if that's coming anyway (if we draft Pitts) it keeps our cost down at Gallup's position, going forward, and gets us a pick to use on the defense NOW.

We could use that pick on various defensive positions, or even move up with one of our thirds to go get someone in the second round if we want to do that. Might even be able to package our second rounder and that third to move back up into the first round.

If I knew we could get a 3rd for Gallup and Pitts is available at 10 that's a no brainer IMO.

Take the all world talent in Pitts at 10, then

I’d be down with Chase or Pitts at 10...not Smith. They are 2 of the top 5 players in the draft for me.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I certainly understand this viewpoint. And you’re a good poster who does understand football, so please don’t take this as me preaching at you. But:

Evan Engram isn’t nearly in the same class as Pitts. Engram had decent height, very good athleticism but was very raw at actually playing football. He was very much a projection. He’s fast as hell but all the other things that a TE/WR does was essentially missing.

Try to just forget about Pitts’ physical skills. He doesn’t need to be compared to Engram, Ebron, etc. Just focus on what he does on the football field. His ability to get open and catch the ball are unlike any college TE that I’ve ever seen. His natural feel for football in general and catching the ball in particular are better than great. They are pretty rare period but even more so for TE.

Everything he does on the football field is natural and easy for him. I’m talking about catching, running routes, high pointing the ball and even running after the catch. He understands angles, leverage, and has just a natural feel for all the physics that go into football. He already does most things right. And he is even an OK blocker, though that isn’t his strength.

I’ve been hesitant to say this but the natural way that Pitts catches the ball, runs routes and runs after the catch reminds me an awful lot of the way Randy Moss played. No, I’m not saying he’ll be the TE version of Moss, but there are some similarities in the way they play football. I’m just saying that how what they need to do to win their matchups comes so easily and naturally to them. They both play above the DB’s heads (in more than one way),and they both are among the most natural catchers that I’ve ever seen. Both are long, lean and extremely athletic and both seem to have rare hand-eye coordination.

Notice in none of that was I really talking about Pitts freakish physical skills. What I wrote above is almost exclusively about just being a great football player. I think way too many look at him as just a physical freak and think he needs to be compared to guys like Engram. He’s a completely different beast and much of what makes him so good is between his ears.

Sort of like comparing Randy Moss to John Ross because they are both really fast. It wasn’t Moss’ speed that made him a Hall of Farmer.

Now, on top of Pitts’ innate ability to be a really great football player, throw in his rare speed, his rare athleticism at 6’6” tall and huge catch radius and you have a guy that could be a unique, devastating weapon that has a chance to end up in the ring of honor and even more (read: HOF). Everything about him and his game screams blue-chip.

Regarding Kittle and Kelce, I know what you’re saying about them not being first round picks, however, if NFL teams knew what they would become, they wouldn’t hesitate to use a high pick on them. Both of those guys are highly paid and are huge weapons for their teams. However, teams just didn’t know how great they’d be. So it isn’t like a great TE isn’t worth it... teams just didn’t know that they’d be dominant. With Pitts, teams probably are pretty sure that he will be great so he’ll be picked early. Very early. Like probably before the 10th pick, making this whole conversation moot, haha.
This is an excellent post, thank you.
He is the blue chipper. He gives defenses fits and pulls safeties out of the box on every play, a mismatch nightmare.
I get what those opposed are saying about the position, and other needs pending, but you dont pass on a no brainer in Pitts,,, unless its Slater..lol
I would be thrilled with either Pitts or Slater.

Aven8

Reaction score
If Pitts is at 10 he’s the pick. He’s too good to pass on.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Excellent post. Idk, when I watch Pitts it's like watching CeeDee in the slot, in relation to the area of production and routes. I'm not a fan of Pitts shielding (blocking), but I'm warming up to the possibility of Pitts because before Dak got hurt it was pass heavy offense.

WR1 - Coop
WR2 - Lamb
Slot - Pitts
TE - Jarwin/Shultz

Leaving one of my favorites Gallup being traded for a 3rd rounder or something to add another defender.
A 3rd rounder for Gallup? Oh lord please no lol

That is a robbery.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I don’t mind the idea of taking Pitts but only if we trade Gallup and pick up an extra 2nd round pick. Pitts can do everything Gallup does and would eliminate a need at tight-end for 5 years.

I understand we have two solid tight ends on the roster but Schultz will be a free agent and Jarwin is coming off an ACL. If Dallas selects Pitts at 10 (not my favorite option) I wonder if Dallas could get a 2nd by trading Schultz and Gallup to maybe Baltimore. This would still allow for 4 high picks on Defense.

stilltheguru

Reaction score

WR1 - Coop
WR2 - Lamb
Slot - Pitts
TE - Jarwin/Shultz

If were keeping Jarwin then draft Waddle.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
A 3rd rounder for Gallup? Oh lord please no lol

That is a robbery.
Yeah, he's had almost 2500 yds in 3 seasons with one over 1000 and this season should have been if not for Dak getting hurt. If he's too expensive to retain in free agency then he should bring a 3rd round comp pick anyway. Losing him for a season makes little sense.

Creeper

Reaction score
Okay, you are a GM on a team that already has a QB and it is your turn to pick in the top 5 a player from this draft class. There are 2 players I can see worth taking. Pitts and Sewell. Pitts is a unique talent and as we have read some scout are saying he has HoF potential. As a GM how can you not take him? The same is true for Sewell, but to a lesser degree. Sewell is considered the top talent at OT. How can you pass on that, especially at a position that is so critical in the NFL now?

Smith and Chase are talented players, but they are not being talked about as future HoFers. They are not generational talents. They are just the best of this weak draft class. I think we can agree that Lawrence goes first. Then the Jets take another QB, say Wilson. Then comes Miami, Atlanta and Cincy. Some have Atlanta taking a QB, but I am not so sure they do this year. But two teams already have a QB. Does anyone think Miami takes a WR over Pitts?

I just think Pitts will be gone before the Cowboys pick, and even before the Eagles pick. If Pitts is what the scouts say he is how can he not going in the top 5?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
His name says TE on the roster but he gives you position flex to do both. He took and won reps on the outside at FL. If we move on from Gallup and take him I'm moving Pitts all over the field to keep him on the field and give him as many looks as possible.

If a team drafts him and keeps him inline like a traditional TE the whole game they are dumb as dirt.
He can play inline when you need him too though. Imagine the threat of play action on run downs with Pitts inline. They'd have to stay in nickel or dime

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Pitts can also play inline and block. He is most dangerous wide, but he is a legit TE and not Evan Engram