The Plan seems to be clear seemingly

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think the plan/strategy is clear. Cowboys aren't redoing Dak's contract and will roll into the season with the 55M cap hit (it was 59, but they just redid it for 4M), which obviously limits our FA flexibility. If they wanted to have Dak long term then they would have redone his contract, open up cap space and sign a few FAs. Further, they are walking away from some of the older cowboys ala Tyron and not willing to give Biadasz a contract extension. Further signal that they are walking away in 2025. Otherwise both would have been resigned.

So Given their cap space limitations they can't be big player in FA (stating the obvious). All this to minimize Dak's future dead cap hit. We probably will roll into 2025 with Lance, but not sure how we can do that, since they haven't picked up his 5th year option. if Lance walks away in 2025, that trade would be the absolute worst trade ever made by the cowboys. utter stupidity.

I am sure some will scream the large contract is the cause, we been saying this for years.....scream, scream...etc. but lets not forget this is the same for all large QB contracts. the first three years the contract was not too bad with 17, 19 and 26M. we had 10M on the cap in 2023, and 20M in 2022. we just chose not to spend or redo other contracts at the time to pull money into the year. . if they wanted to keep Dak, they would redo the contract and that 55M would easily drop to 20M. We knew this year was coming, and either extend or walk away. Every team is going to deal with this exact situation. every team has to deal with same exact situation. make a decision on keeping or letting walk.

so cowboys have to take the bitter pill. deal with the cap. walk away.

with the improvements Eagles, Washington and Giants made, next year will be tough. Fingers will point to the same person. the question is what's the plan for 2025?.

I also wonder if this is somehow Johnson's doing as an advisor being involved (as he said). perhaps a soft rebuild. the big question is finding the right QB. this could be easy (with a little luck) or a rough road ahead (see New England).

ArtClink

Reaction score
Every other good - great team in the nfl knows how to work the salary cap system to their advantage (see what Rams did to win a Super Bowl while continuing to be relevant). Only here in Dallas do we see such ineptness with handling the cap.

I expect a big drop off in wins this season and next and …

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think the plan/strategy is clear. Cowboys aren't redoing Dak's contract and will roll into the season with the 55M cap hit (it was 59, but they just redid it for 4M), which obviously limits our FA flexibility. If they wanted to have Dak long term then they would have redone his contract, open up cap space and sign a few FAs. Further, they are walking away from some of the older cowboys ala Tyron and not willing to give Biadasz a contract extension. Further signal that they are walking away in 2025. Otherwise both would have been resigned.

So Given their cap space limitations they can't be big player in FA (stating the obvious). All this to minimize Dak's future dead cap hit. We probably will roll into 2025 with Lance, but not sure how we can do that, since they haven't picked up his 5th year option. if Lance walks away in 2025, that trade would be the absolute worst trade ever made by the cowboys. utter stupidity.

I am sure some will scream the large contract is the cause, we been saying this for years.....scream, scream...etc. but lets not forget this is the same for all large QB contracts. the first three years the contract was not too bad with 17, 19 and 26M. we had 10M on the cap in 2023, and 20M in 2022. we just chose not to spend or redo other contracts at the time to pull money into the year. . if they wanted to keep Dak, they would redo the contract and that 55M would easily drop to 20M. We knew this year was coming, and either extend or walk away. Every team is going to deal with this exact situation. every team has to deal with same exact situation. make a decision on keeping or letting walk.

with the improvements Eagles, Washington and Giants made, next year will be tough. Fingers will point to the same person. the question is what's the plan for 2025?.

I also wonder if this is somehow Johnson's doing as an advisor being involved (as he said). perhaps a soft rebuild. the big question is finding the right QB. this could be easy (with a little luck) or a rough road ahead (see New England).
Cowboys have not been players in free agency in years. The only reason they’d redo Dak or extend him is to pay their own players. You guys who thought they would be players in free agency were just hoping and praying based off a misquote by Jerry.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I feel like he's been given enough time AND enough money......2-5 in playoffs and subpar performances in them tells the FO he's got to get to steppin

Romos 2-4 gave them the same cover.

Both above average regular season qbs but that's about it.
If they truly felt Dak needed to get to stepping they probably should have his replacement ready now then later but they don’t.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Every other good - great team in the nfl knows how to work the salary cap system to their advantage (see what Rams did to win a Super Bowl while continuing to be relevant). Only here in Dallas do we see such ineptness with handling the cap.

I expect a big drop off in wins this season and next and …
It’s not that they don’t know how. They know how to manage the cap when it’s time to sign their stars they just don’t want to.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score

I agree that with what has taken place the strategy should be clear. However,…why do I feel it’s not.

In my mind, I just can’t leap over the giant hurdle of Jones ineptitude. It would be just so jones to extend the guy making all the non-moves hard to comprehend.

What can I say, like Pavlov’s dog, I’ve been conditioned.

MikeT22

Reaction score
It was a bad trade, but throwing away a 4th doesn’t compare to Jerry trading a 1st and 3rd for WR Roy Williams.

And even though Joey Galloway was far better, trading two 1st rounds picks for him was ludicrous. And for that we had him for 4 years, three of those years we went 5-11.

What’s hilarious is there are some who claim the man who made these trades was the mastermind of the Herschel Walker and the Charles Haley trades, and not Jimmy Johnson. lol

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
If they truly felt Dak needed to get to stepping they probably should have his replacement ready now then later but they don’t.
They did the same thing with Romo. They kept dragging their feet and it darn near bit them where the sun don't shine. Dak was supposed to be the backup to the backup in 2016, but then #1 and #2 went down in the preseason and everything fell apart (or fell into place, depending on the perspective). No one really knows what Lance can do either until he actually gets to play.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They did the same thing with Romo. They kept dragging their feet and it darn near bit them where the sun don't shine. Dak was supposed to be the backup to the backup in 2016, but then #1 and #2 went down in the preseason and everything fell apart (or fell into place, depending on the perspective). No one really knows what Lance can do either until he actually gets to play.
Yes and no. We didn't see Dak because he was a rookie. We've seen Lance. We've seen him a QB friendly offense in which guys like Jimmy G have flourished in......we've seen him struggle.

Now I'm not saying Lance is a finished product. I was for trading for him and for a 4th round pick. But in the same breath I can't be naive and think relying on him is a solid contingency. Its stupid. Just like relying on Dak to backup Romo who had a bad back. It was stupid too. You got lucky one time. I guess you could pray for luck again.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It was a bad trade, but throwing away a 4th doesn’t compare to Jerry trading a 1st and 3rd for WR Roy Williams.

And even though Joey Galloway was far better, trading two 1st rounds picks for him was ludicrous. And for that we had him for 4 years, three of those years we went 5-11.

What’s hilarious is there are some who claim the man who made these trades was the mastermind of the Herschel Walker and the Charles Haley trades, and not Jimmy Johnson. lol
well, not counting what we paid at least there was a hope and plan for those guys. he miscalculated as a GM their contributions. but we traded a 4th for Lance only to make him 3rd stringer. perhaps let him be 2nd in 2024 and let him walk!!!

there was no plan.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I hope and pray to God we put Chuma Edoga at LT and leave him there. Throw him a pizza every possession and call nothing but pass plays.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
well with Dak we really didn't know. he was a rookie. the early prognosis for Lance doesn't look good on how he played in SF and Purdy took the same team to CCG and Superbowl. and his team gave up on him. I think its a bit different. but I get it the cowboys fans want to just hold on to some ray of hope

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I hope and pray to God we put Chuma Edoga at LT and leave him there. Throw him a pizza every possession and call nothing but pass plays.
why? why would you want that? so Dak get hit and injured? would that make you feel better? why? because in your mind you want revenge? is that what this is about. do you think Dak on purpose screwed up? vs. just not being good enough.

this is so personal for you. at a different level.