The Plan seems to be clear seemingly

kevm3

Reaction score
If they are ready to move on Dak, make that trade for fields and ask Dak if he wants to go to another team. Otherwise have an open competition between qbs. What they are doing now has zero advantage. We're flushing another year down the drain for no reason. You may have been able to get SOME compensation for Dak, but we're essentially letting another year go by and then he walks.

Brax

Reaction score
I think the plan/strategy is clear. Cowboys aren't redoing Dak's contract and will roll into the season with the 55M cap hit (it was 59, but they just redid it for 4M), which obviously limits our FA flexibility. If they wanted to have Dak long term then they would have redone his contract, open up cap space and sign a few FAs. Further, they are walking away from some of the older cowboys ala Tyron and not willing to give Biadasz a contract extension. Further signal that they are walking away in 2025. Otherwise both would have been resigned.

So Given their cap space limitations they can't be big player in FA (stating the obvious). All this to minimize Dak's future dead cap hit. We probably will roll into 2025 with Lance, but not sure how we can do that, since they haven't picked up his 5th year option. if Lance walks away in 2025, that trade would be the absolute worst trade ever made by the cowboys. utter stupidity.

I am sure some will scream the large contract is the cause, we been saying this for years.....scream, scream...etc. but lets not forget this is the same for all large QB contracts. the first three years the contract was not too bad with 17, 19 and 26M. we had 10M on the cap in 2023, and 20M in 2022. we just chose not to spend or redo other contracts at the time to pull money into the year. . if they wanted to keep Dak, they would redo the contract and that 55M would easily drop to 20M. We knew this year was coming, and either extend or walk away. Every team is going to deal with this exact situation. every team has to deal with same exact situation. make a decision on keeping or letting walk.

so cowboys have to take the bitter pill. deal with the cap. walk away.

with the improvements Eagles, Washington and Giants made, next year will be tough. Fingers will point to the same person. the question is what's the plan for 2025?.

I also wonder if this is somehow Johnson's doing as an advisor being involved (as he said). perhaps a soft rebuild. the big question is finding the right QB. this could be easy (with a little luck) or a rough road ahead (see New England).
Nice write up, the only thing I don’t see is TL in 25 as he’s not under contract for 25. If TL was in the picture wouldn’t it be wiser to play him this year and release Dak. Not sure if it’s a prove it for Dak in the Jones mind but I think Dak is getting a extension at some point, again nice write up should be a interesting year ahead

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I don't think we get rid of Dak that easily. Dak stays, takes a paycut but gets a deal that enables the Cowboys to move on if they need to. It won't be a 10 year deal...more like a 4 year deal that is really a 2 year deal.

I want to be wrong...desperately. It does make sense from a flexibility standpoint for Jones to play chicken with Dak. Dak is going to get a no-trade clause...which makes signing him even more perilous because you will never get any compensation for him unless he agrees to the team. That makes keeping Dak a real commitment and I just can't see Jerry doing that long-term...but given his options short term...he's gonna pay him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If they are ready to move on Dak, make that trade for fields and ask Dak if he wants to go to another team. Otherwise have an open competition between qbs. What they are doing now has zero advantage. We're flushing another year down the drain for no reason. You may have been able to get SOME compensation for Dak, but we're essentially letting another year go by and then he walks.
wait. why Fields? we traded for Lance? what would fields give us that lance doesn't?

and they have no leverage with Dak. the 59M is guranteed. he will stay and collect his 60M. then FA next year. cowboys have no other choice.

Aven8

Reaction score
I think they will extend Lamb soon to open a few dollars for remaining FA’s.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
With regards free agency, I personally don’t think Jerry would spend big even if we had $100 million of cap space, it’s simply not his M.O.
As for Dak, while I do think he’s very good, he’s shown however to not have the necessary qualities to step up in the playoffs… but I still fear he will be handed an eye watering contract, and that will suit Jerry because then it will mean we won’t be able to spend big money in free agency in future years.

Mitch

Reaction score
Nice write up, the only thing I don’t see is TL in 25 as he’s not under contract for 25. If TL was in the picture wouldn’t it be wiser to play him this year and release Dak. Not sure if it’s a prove it for Dak in the Jones mind but I think Dak is getting a extension at some point, again nice write up should be a interesting year ahead
Maybe that‘s Jerry‘s definition of all-in - forcing Dak to put all his chips on the table and either win big or go home.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think the plan/strategy is clear. Cowboys aren't redoing Dak's contract and will roll into the season with the 55M cap hit (it was 59, but they just redid it for 4M), which obviously limits our FA flexibility. If they wanted to have Dak long term then they would have redone his contract, open up cap space and sign a few FAs. Further, they are walking away from some of the older cowboys ala Tyron and not willing to give Biadasz a contract extension. Further signal that they are walking away in 2025. Otherwise both would have been resigned.

So Given their cap space limitations they can't be big player in FA (stating the obvious). All this to minimize Dak's future dead cap hit. We probably will roll into 2025 with Lance, but not sure how we can do that, since they haven't picked up his 5th year option. if Lance walks away in 2025, that trade would be the absolute worst trade ever made by the cowboys. utter stupidity.

I am sure some will scream the large contract is the cause, we been saying this for years.....scream, scream...etc. but lets not forget this is the same for all large QB contracts. the first three years the contract was not too bad with 17, 19 and 26M. we had 10M on the cap in 2023, and 20M in 2022. we just chose not to spend or redo other contracts at the time to pull money into the year. . if they wanted to keep Dak, they would redo the contract and that 55M would easily drop to 20M. We knew this year was coming, and either extend or walk away. Every team is going to deal with this exact situation. every team has to deal with same exact situation. make a decision on keeping or letting walk.

with the improvements Eagles, Washington and Giants made, next year will be tough. Fingers will point to the same person. the question is what's the plan for 2025?.

I also wonder if this is somehow Johnson's doing as an advisor being involved (as he said). perhaps a soft rebuild. the big question is finding the right QB. this could be easy (with a little luck) or a rough road ahead (see New England).
You also know the Cowboys could structure the extension into this year’s cap hit to lower the future cap hits on the extension. All signs to me point to a summer extension. Dak and Stephen basically said it in their recent interviews.

Brax

Reaction score
Maybe that‘s Jerry‘s definition of all-in - forcing Dak to put all his chips on the table and either win big or go home.
I’m hoping that is what it is but I don’t think that’s Jerry’s plan

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yes and no. We didn't see Dak because he was a rookie. We've seen Lance. We've seen him a QB friendly offense in which guys like Jimmy G have flourished in......we've seen him struggle.

Now I'm not saying Lance is a finished product. I was for trading for him and for a 4th round pick. But in the same breath I can't be naive and think relying on him is a solid contingency. Its stupid. Just like relying on Dak to backup Romo who had a bad back. It was stupid too. You got lucky one time. I guess you could pray for luck again.
Really…… So you think 49ers had a great plan by having Purdy as the 3rd quarterback in 2022 or the Patriots with Brady back in the day. It’s luck Dak, Romo, Carter, and Henson were all dart throws. Lance was the latest throw.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The only way this is going to be easy is if the Bears trade for Dak for that #1 pick which I'm pretty sure the Bears GM will be unemployed before the end of the season if he did that. It's going to be painful because of the insanity of that first extension.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Yes and no. We didn't see Dak because he was a rookie. We've seen Lance. We've seen him a QB friendly offense in which guys like Jimmy G have flourished in......we've seen him struggle.

Now I'm not saying Lance is a finished product. I was for trading for him and for a 4th round pick. But in the same breath I can't be naive and think relying on him is a solid contingency. Its stupid. Just like relying on Dak to backup Romo who had a bad back. It was stupid too. You got lucky one time. I guess you could pray for luck again.
I never saw him struggle in SF. Why? Because I don't keep up with them. Regardless, he still needs some playing time, and if he can't cut it get rid of him.

Staubacher

Reaction score
I feel like he's been given enough time AND enough money......2-5 in playoffs and subpar performances in them tells the FO he's got to get to steppin

Romos 2-4 gave them the same cover.

Both above average regular season qbs but that's about it.
At least Romo balled in 2014 in his last 2 playoff games. Dak gets worse and worse.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Really…… So you think 49ers had a great plan by having Purdy as the 3rd quarterback in 2022 or the Patriots with Brady back in the day. It’s luck Dak, Romo, Carter, and Henson were all dart throws. Lance was the latest throw.
I’m confused…where did I say San Fran had a great plan?

NeathBlue

Reaction score
The only way this is going to be easy is if the Bears trade for Dak for that #1 pick which I'm pretty sure the Bears GM will be unemployed before the end of the season if he did that. It's going to be painful because of the insanity of that first extension.
He’d be unemployed before the end of the first round of the draft lol

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score

I'm all for this strategy but wouldn't this strategy be better if they draft a 1st/2nd round QB this year? Not wait for next year. Not wait for the dredges to become available in FA next year.

If they are letting Dak play out his contract and aren't wanting to resign him, shouldn't they start now on finding a replacement?

If they are leaving the door open to resign him, again, don't they want leverage to keep his contract down, drafting a decent QB, + Lance, will help do that.

If they are leaving the door open to resign him after this season, and he has a good season stats wise but no SB... He's still going to be very expensive and not worth it.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I can't even say it was a lie because he said they'd go all in and he never specified what all in was....
The "all in" comment was taken out of context. Jerry said it during a broader statement about getting long term deals done with Lamb and Parsons.

But the "all-in" snippet is what fit inside of a tweet, so that's what got posted and predictably the world ran with it.

Brax

Reaction score
The "all in" comment was taken out of context. Jerry said it during a broader statement about getting long term deals done with Lamb and Parsons.

But the "all-in" snippet is what fit inside of a tweet, so that's what got posted and predictably the world ran with it.
Here’s his babble, it can be interpreted in more than one way
"I would anticipate -- with looking ahead at our key contracts that we'd like to address -- we will be all in," Jones said, via team reporter Nick Harris. "I would anticipate we will be all in at the end of this year.
"... It will be going all in on different people than you've done in the past. We will be going all in. We've seen some things out of some of the players that we want to be all in on. Yes, I would say that you will see us this coming year not build it for the future. It's the best way I've ever said. And that ought to answer a lot of questions.